Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I guess I'll make a small effort post on the current state of Digimon pets since they technically are both retro and game consoles

The gameplay loop is they beep at you every so often (like 15-90 minutes) and you feed/exercise them. You can also make them fight. They wake up in the morning and beep at you to turn out the "lights" when they fall asleep. You have to clean up their poop. They evolve based on how many care mistakes you made, how much you exercised them, how many battles they won, whether you woke them up from sleep, etc etc.

There's a lively little enthusiast community that documents everything you need to know here:
https://humulos.com/digimon/

Some people get really creative modding them. 3D printed cases, battery expansion, backlight addition, flashing the ROM to modify sprites and stats, all kinds of stuff. There's not a ton of creative space to explore compared to most hobbies but whatever. These are basically colorful kitchen timers anyway.

Even though these toys are designed for 7 year old Japanese boys, I really enjoy the simplicity of the loop! It only asks for 5 seconds of your attention every so often, and when you want to spend 5 or 6 minutes fulfilling an evolution requirement it's right there. I get attached to the little things. Longest I've kept one alive was 30ish days.

The current most accessible devices are:

Digimon X

Cheap, readily available. Widely regarded to have the best gameplay loop with XP, random encounters, and loot. No backlight unfortunately but some people sell tiny glow in the dark screen inserts on Etsy! There is probably nothing wrong with wasting $10-15 on one of these things and getting bored after 2 weeks.

Digimon 20th Anniversary

These are super cheap and have enormous rosters, they're a compilation of all the older devices and some people like that. I loving hate these things because they poop like crazy, you can't "pause" them, and they make you raise 2 Digimon at once which is irritating as he'll. Most fans only buy these things to raid them for parts since the case colors and buttons are pretty.

Vital Bracelet

This is marketed as a FitBit with a Digimon inside but the fitness aspects are really dodgy and half-assed, it's not going to help you track fitness. It's mostly just a Digimon on your wrist. Bandai pushes these things because they want to sell the little chips you plug in to add more dudes to the roster. Many fans buy these just to rip out the toy inside, put reflective tape over the heartbeat sensor so it doesn't die, and keep it in a 3D printed case.

Whale poo poo follows:

Digimon Color

Only released via P-Bandai a few times. You have to pay scalper prices for them now. But they're really nice. They're basically the old 1997 toys with 2020s technology like a USB rechargeable battery and QoL upgrades like a "pause" mode, wallpapers, etc. Don't buy these. The only people who should buy these are people who already knew about them.

Digimon Pendulum Color

I didn't mention the Pendulum line from 1998 because you can only get them from scalpers these days and they're criminally overpriced for what they are: a Digimon with a little motion detector inside, which lets you train/battle them by shaking them a few times. Well times have changed and now P-Bandai is releasing them in color like the ones I just mentioned. Amusingly, they use accelerometers now, but Bandai still put clackers in there for nostalgia. This is my daily driver and you can actually pre-order the next wave of these from various importers.

They also had these inexplicable commercials back in the day, and you can unlock the speedo guys as a special wallpaper on the Pendulum Color:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbvfNkKxcao

Digimon 25th Anniversary Watanabe Ver.

This is the stupidest thing I've ever bought. It has a UV printed case in graffiti style, but it's the 20th Anniversary version that I loving hate, and I can't take it with me anywhere because I don't want to scratch it. I haven't figured out how to get rid of it yet in a compassionate way. I included this as the final example of why you shouldn't get *too* into these things, and should disregard this entire post.

Marx Headroom fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I got a Digimon X rerelease a few years ago from Amazon that in turn led me to get a Digimon COLOR from Premium Bandai several months ago. I've never been the target demographic but I think they're just neat.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I bought myself a tamagotchi a while back and was shook at how demanding the newborn phase is. Mine died :(

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I just remember seeing this video months ago that let me down a Tamagotchi journey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQHU9m90VLU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I single-handedly convinced all my friends to buy closeout Digimon handhelds from the dollar store in the 90s so we could all battle. The Digimon Colors look cool.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I had one of those early Digimon toys, before the anime even existed, and then I had the original Pokemon Pikachu, which I maxed out twice (at which point Pikachu ditches you and leaves you to wallow in your loneliness).

So yeah, digital pets own.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I had an R2-D2 digital pet that I couldn’t for the life of me figure out how to work. Bye

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It's a loving droid, it should take care of itself. If it died that's its own fault, not yours.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I had a Digimon V2 as a kid and coveted my friends who had the digivice

I did get an X a couple years back, that was fun for a month

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
R2-D2 was too easy: you could just shut him down and not worry about anything like changing his oil. No time pressure at all, which was great for when I kept getting in trouble in 5th grade when it would beep for attention

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Apparently for GBA both MegaMan 4.5 and "solar boy Django" had RTC support as well. Although I couldn't tell you how they were used

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Nybble posted:

R2-D2 was too easy: you could just shut him down and not worry about anything like changing his oil. No time pressure at all, which was great for when I kept getting in trouble in 5th grade when it would beep for attention

To be fair it's kinda irresponsible to leave a droid in the care of a fifth grader, Luke should've had his Jedi Card revoked for that.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Did they make one for baby Yoda? If not they missed an opportunity.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yep
https://tamagotchi.com/introducing-the-new-star-wars-grogu-tamagotchi/

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mega64 posted:

To be fair it's kinda irresponsible to leave a droid in the care of a fifth grader, Luke should've had his Jedi Card revoked for that.

R2-D2 wasn’t the only R2-D2. :colbert:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I just have a real dog. She sleeps on my lap while I game.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Mega64 posted:

(unless you can read Japanese, then you could just grab the Japanese version of Animal Forest on N64).

Good news!

https://cdromance.org/n64-roms/doubutsu-no-mori/

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SP shipped hell yeah

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

MarcusSA posted:

SP shipped hell yeah
drat, already? Did you go with Aliexpress? I picked Anbernic's official site and they have a banner at the top scrolling saying they won't start shipping until May 22nd and to expect 3-5 day processing.
Ah well.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

coconono posted:

I just have a real dog. She sleeps on my lap while I game.

Yeah, but you can't just put that to sleep when you get bored and shove it in a drawer somewhere. Unless you're a very special sort of psychopath.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

drat, already? Did you go with Aliexpress? I picked Anbernic's official site and they have a banner at the top scrolling saying they won't start shipping until May 22nd and to expect 3-5 day processing.
Ah well.

Yeah I went with AliExpress since I used them already for other cheap crap. It should be here next week I think.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah mine shipped too. Ordered something else from Ali on Thursday and it arrived at the Australian sorting facility this morning (Saturday), so I don't expect it will take too long.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would imagine that the first XYZ units were staged for immediate shipment, if you ordered today it's probably going out Monday

Anything after ~wednesday will ship at a more relaxed pace

Total guess

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

I ordered one about 6 hours ago and it says it’s shipping out in 11 days. I guess I missed out on the first batch.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I'm a patient boy so I just ordered a silver SP off the official site. Their shipping turnaround will give me a bit of time to get a curated collection of games in order, and see what firmwares turn up in the meantime.
Don't think I'm going to mind the clickiness of the controls, and I love that the hinge will sleep the device.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

FART BOSS posted:

I ordered one about 6 hours ago and it says it’s shipping out in 11 days. I guess I missed out on the first batch.

I ordered mine the minute before they technically went live (since they started early) and it said 11 days as well at first, but then it’s already shipped so I doubt it will actually be that long for you.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I feel targeted....

https://twitter.com/mommilph/status/1791509792625971690

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Yeah, but you can't just put that to sleep when you get bored and shove it in a drawer somewhere. Unless you're a very special sort of psychopath.

yeah that's some hail hydra poo poo. I'm not down with that.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
If I want to prep a secondary SDcard for just a few games for MY WIFE, is there a preferred format/folder structure for the RG35XXSP? I looked on Anbernic's site but didn't see anything on that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

If I want to prep a secondary SDcard for just a few games for MY WIFE, is there a preferred format/folder structure for the RG35XXSP? I looked on Anbernic's site but didn't see anything on that.

A good husband would have bought two SPs.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

MarcusSA posted:

A good husband would have bought two SPs.

Silly Burrito posted:

My old GBASP was red, but this time I went SNES Gray. But also picked up a silver one for the wife as a Pokemon machine. Day 1 purchase as promised.

:colbert:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ayaneo is making a fast gameboy

https://twitter.com/AYANEO__/status/1791739829795119546

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It'll be more expensive than the Analogue Pocket I guarantee.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
They put a touchpad next to that stick lol.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
why not just a touchscreen instead of a touchpad?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

And yet I find myself asking... why?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

flavor.flv posted:

And yet I find myself asking... why?
Some of these really expensive versions of cheap handhelds that people actually like and use just makes me think that they just don’t understand the community. Maybe their target user base isn’t even the same group.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://github.com/ROCKNIX/distribution/releases/tag/20240517

ROCKNIX now supports the RG-ARC!

edit: Caveat seems to be you'll have to format your Android partition on the ARC-D. Still probably worth it, gonna mess around later. Also I'll see if they fixed the boot issue on the 353P

shyduck fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 18, 2024

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Russ has another SP review up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M1fYSOhwZ4

shyduck fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
How does GBA look on that screen in practice with whatever shader they’re using after the scaling? I know it’s optional, but sticking to integer scaling would definitely be too small, and stretched pixels are awful.