Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The best part of rexzilla was that random poster storming in to defend them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

The Chad Jihad posted:

The best part of rexzilla was that random poster storming in to defend them

Let's not pretend, we all know it was the Z-dawg himself

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/p92hBBk.mp4

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

Payouts are already far, far, far far, far too high.

quote:

Nothing even close to that.

Players seem to think they're entitled to buy anything, any ship they want in the game, through only solo effort and in just a few days of playing... That is not how it should be.

What do you make for an average salary IRL? That should be more in line with what we should expect in the verse... and we're not going to be buying a 44,000,000 Yacht on a regular salary.

Even as a millionaire, there are things out of reach.

Many of the goals in this game are team-based aspirational goals - many covet, few achieve.

This I believe shows how players can't even comprehend this game is going to play so much differently that anything they are used to.

300-400k an hour? Try 300-400k a year.

Players should completely reset their expectations.

quote:

ROFL! Have fun selling your Korean grind mmo to westerners.

Fyi — as people certified and licensed for spaceflight, we are those multi-millionaires in this game.

But at 400k a year, grinding 6 hrs a day, it would take a player about 25 years to afford a connie.

The ship that supposedly players are meant to be able to buy in a month.

Maybe you need to reset your expectations…

quote:

That's where financing comes in!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Star Citizen: Even as a millionaire, there are things out of reach.

Star Citizen: many covet, few achieve.

Star Citizen: That's where financing comes in!

This guys just keeps on giving. :gary:

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 14, 2024

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Watch out everyone, This works on VR rules! if you're payday lender has you kneecapped in the game because you fall behind on your payments, you get kneecapped in real life!!!!

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

dr_rat posted:

Watch out everyone, This works on VR rules! if you're payday lender has you kneecapped in the game because you fall behind on your payments, you get kneecapped in real life!!!!

Based on some of the more extreme stories shared here and in the other thread, it sounds like Star Citizen has indeed kneecapped several people in real life, at least figuratively.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I think we missed this: New machinima was released last month, a sequel to the first Overlocked "feature-length" film (which was a not-at-all-excruciating 90 minutes). This one's "only" 50 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4NO89TrRgs

Here's some reviews:

quote:

Peak cinema. Nomad CONSOLIDATED!

quote:

This just blew me away. Netflix quality. You guys should contact them. For real.

quote:

the words "phenomenal", "amazing" and "awesome" truly do not even begin to come close to describing such works of art, thanks to you and all involved for such absolute epic adventure... as always, I look forward to the next one

quote:

Adds new meaning and depth 2 the word amazing indeed. Got so lost in it the CGI became the norm well done indeed.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

FishMcCool posted:

Star Citizen: Even as a millionaire, there are things out of reach.

Star Citizen: many covet, few achieve.

Star Citizen: That's where financing comes in!

This guys just keeps on giving. :gary:

[Star Citizen] Payouts are already far, far, far far, far too high

[Star Citizen] Players should completely reset their expectations (my favorite)

from a reply?

[Star Citizen] 400k a year, grinding 6 hrs a day, it would take a player about 25 years to afford a connie

:yarg:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

ErrEff posted:

I think we missed this: New machinima was released last month, a sequel to the first Overlocked "feature-length" film (which was a not-at-all-excruciating 90 minutes). This one's "only" 50 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4NO89TrRgs

Here's some reviews:

“Netflix Quality” the same way that Rebel Moon is, sure.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Truly this was my face scrubbing through it

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 14, 2024

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

im starting up an in game credit agency to monitor how credit worthy star citizen players are.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Anyone with a credit rating over 600 is too good with money to be interested in a Star Citizen loan, I suspect.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Sankis posted:

im starting up an in game credit agency to monitor how credit worthy star citizen players are.

I hope you bought the banking ship* because it's the only one that you can install** the advanced*** money loaning module**** on

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Just think though, when the game releases (lol), they barely need to put an economy system in, just the most rudimentary buy and sell poo poo.

Because whatever they do, the players are going to storm in, go full capitalism, exploit every loophole they can find, and tank the value of everything in the game. That one guy will be plugging away sticking to his 400K/year, and everyone else will have enough credits to buy a hundred Idrises.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

its kinda weird that some clown thinks you should need either a mortgage or have it take years to buy a ship when the game is already P2W anyway

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Bootstrap Jpeg-nomics

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Worf posted:

its kinda weird that some clown thinks you should need either a mortgage or have it take years to buy a ship when the game is already P2W anyway

The most fervent backers have always loved the idea of having a surplus of space poors around who can't afford ships of their own and must therefore sign up to man turrets and scrub floors on the Idrises of other, richer, better men.

Sure, for the most part they pay all that money for a jpg because in their broken brains it legitimizes their dreams of playing Star Citizen (and their dreams that Star Citizen would be a game they'd want to play), but the ones who bought the big multicrew ships are also paying (they hope) for the admiration and respect of all the people who can't even afford a lovely little space motorcycle. When the game exists and has a playerbase and organizations, they're going to be the popular kids, everyone's going to know their names and want to be their pals. You'll see. YOU'LL ALL SEE.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Worf posted:

That's why.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Blue On Blue posted:

Classic cig sales tactic

You need X to haul your cargo ! X will be working in this patch. Buy now X is only on sale for this limited time !

This one seems to be pure incompetence and inability to hit deadlines (shocking I know) there's literally no way to get any big component into any cargo.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Wolfechu posted:

Just think though, when the game releases (lol), they barely need to put an economy system in, just the most rudimentary buy and sell poo poo.

Because whatever they do, the players are going to storm in, go full capitalism, exploit every loophole they can find, and tank the value of everything in the game. That one guy will be plugging away sticking to his 400K/year, and everyone else will have enough credits to buy a hundred Idrises.

That's the perfect thing about Star Citizen, part of the grift is that there's a a whole 'simulated' economy where there are 10 times s many NPCs as PCs. So players will not, by design, by able to have a meaningful impact on the economy of the game. So it can stay being just rudimentary Buy/Sell with the complex simulation of the galactic economy determining the prices, RNG

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Worf posted:

It's pretty straightforward - if you could just play the game, earn ingame money and buy ships, then they'd be morons to have spent tens of thousands of dollars of real money to buy ships. They don't want to realise that they're morons.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I thought they donated money and got those ships as thanks.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Gort posted:

It's pretty straightforward - if you could just play the game, earn ingame money and buy ships, then they'd be morons to have spent tens of thousands of dollars of real money to buy ships. They don't want to realise that they're morons.

It's not just that, they want to be able to push players into being crew in boring but necessary positions on their ships and they can't DO that if they can have fun independantly. They are assuming because they've paid that they get to be the ruling class.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

It's not just that, they want to be able to push players into being crew in boring but necessary positions on their ships and they can't DO that if they can have fun independantly. They are assuming because they've paid that they get to be the ruling class.

The people yelling the loudest about having to “earn” those ships and hoping cig doesn’t cheapen the experience - those are the people with bare bones Mercedes c class levels of backer account spend, they already own everything through the aforementioned pay2win mechanic

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
this is good, right?
https://clips.twitch.tv/NaiveSincereOilDancingBanana-uEdTn0cDv_8RgvG7

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
If I recall, the guy that responded about players being the multi-millionaires already is leaning in the right direction as far as the lore is concerned.

If you consider relative pricing it becomes fairly apparent that even the cheapest ships are massively expensive in in-game currency terms.
A .50 calibre ballistic handgun is in the range of 1,000 UEC which is pretty close to current real-world prices in USD, maybe 1/2 price.

Considering that the cheapest ship, like a Mustang Alpha, is 250,000 UEC it becomes pretty clear that owning any ship at all is already something exclusive to the 1% of Star Citizen society.
If you own something like even a Freelancer outright you are definitely in the elite class. So every player has that as their starting point.

What's-his-face would have a point if he was talking about the NPCs that are basically indentured servants but owning a ship makes you part of an exclusive class that has access to money-making opportunities that 99% of people would never get. So it's completely reasonable that players should be able to afford mid-range personal sized ships fairly easily.

In conclusion, he's an idiot.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Trying to see if I understand you:

You mean essentially that any and every Star Citizen player character is in the 1% of the “world” of Star Citizen, with only NPCs in the 99%.

Correct?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Fidelitious posted:

In conclusion, he's an idiot.

Nah 100%. New players shouldn't be given a ship. Why should they be given something in a game to have fun in it, just because they paid to have fun playing a game. You should start the game penniless and naked on the streets, after years playing and putting in the hard hours, doing menial jobs for low wages you should be able to get your self up to a point where you can start working menial task on one of the spaceships brought by your superiors, the elite who brought a spaceship with real world currency.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Apollodorus posted:

You mean essentially that any and every Star Citizen player character is in the 1% of the “world” of Star Citizen, with only NPCs in the 99%.

Correct?

That's how they have positioned things with their economy yes.

If their economy makes any sense at all is another question.

Presumably in-universe someone could gently caress up enough to never be able to afford a spaceship for the rest of their lifetime but, being a game, they provide you quests to get you back to a starting ship.

As an aside on "economy makes no sense", I'm seeing now that you can buy guided missiles for less than 100 UEC? What a world.

Fidelitious fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 15, 2024

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
So then where will the player character crew members come from, if literally every player owns their own spaceship?

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

A very good question which is generally ignored by the citizenry.

Although the large multi-crew ships should presumably not be very common.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Fidelitious posted:

Although the large multi-crew ships should presumably not be very common.

I wonder how many they've sold already. With whales being the ones that are more likely to stick around over time I wouldn't be surprised if the cheap ships vs expensive multi crew ships ratio is complete screwed already.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

At first I thought he started crying

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Star posted:

At first I thought he started crying

Internally, yes

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I cant believe how much this game still looks like complete rear end.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Apollodorus posted:

So then where will the player character crew members come from, if literally every player owns their own spaceship?

well in theory this is a play with your friends cooperative gameplay thing. In a vaguely similar game like Empyrion, you fly around in your friends capital vessel so that you can all be in the same place, and its got a few fighters docked to it you can fly if you want and maybe a dropship or some hovertanks so you go attack a point of interest to loot it. then you go back to your mobile base to store your loot and heal up or respawn or rearm or w/e you need to do.

most ships in star citizen are pretty compromised in this respect though. they have limited ability to do a lot of those tasks. no medbay so they can't respawn. no hangar so it can't function as a base. not well enough armed to go attacking things. that's why cig has to come up with insane minigames like cooperative capital mining gameplay or SodaStream Simulator.

this is where 'buy an Idris' comes from, because its the all in one that can on paper actually do what you need out of a co-op ship. its got a hangar, its got guns, its got medical, so its the hub that people can play around. one could argue that the other ships are all compromised just to make the idris look good and upsell it.

of course this assumes that some particular whales even have friends. maybe they're gonna enlist their kid as a turret gunner then yell at them when they're too busy scrolling tiktok and everyone goes down in flames

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 15, 2024

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

nobody in "best star citizen P2W ship" has friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Apollodorus posted:

Correct?

This is also true in the world of Eve Online. Back when they recognized you had a crew on your ship, you were the elite who could be reborn. Everyone else on your ship permanently dies.

Literally a one man genocide machine if you pilot capital ships.

As such you are also mega rich if you can afford your own pod-piloted ship.