Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Some Strange Flea posted:

Again, trying to give the benefit of the doubt, I feel like to some extent I've inflicted some hardship on myself just by the way I happen to have played it (I also e.g. for UNDERTALE scotched a Pacifist run by killing Flowey during the post-final boss dialog so I know I'm not above doing some real dumb poo poo to give myself a bad time). I've really enjoyed the narrative vignettes and some of the later puzzle rooms introduced some mechanics which I thought were interesting but right now I'm replaying literal dozens of early rooms I didn't feel were particularly engaging the first time through, and what few things I've seen that I could potentially interact with at a deeper level have yet to yield anything satisfying.

I know there's something else to this, I just don't know if I want to be moving these fuckin' boxes around any more. :(

You absolutely stumbled into an edge case there and at quite possibly the worst time imaginable. I hope you aren't too discouraged.

There's a thread specifically for Void Stranger where you might get more or faster responses: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4041253
It's also full of people who would love nothing more than to vicariously re-live a first experience through yours :)

Thoom posted:

It also sounds like maybe you accidentally got a weird ending. As far as I know, there's no mechanic that punishes you for repeatedly dying in VOID mode, and the ending of the first playthrough is really clearly signposted as an ending and not a punishment for failure.

This is something that was added later on in a patch so maybe you never encountered it. It's an out if you want to exit a VOID run instead of having to play through to an ending, triggered by dying repeatedly on a single floor. If you mash any button while becoming a rock you can back out and continue where you fell, but it's not a very obvious thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Swilo posted:

This is something that was added later on in a patch so maybe you never encountered it. It's an out if you want to exit a VOID run instead of having to play through to an ending, triggered by dying repeatedly on a single floor. If you mash any button while becoming a rock you can back out and continue where you fell, but it's not a very obvious thing.

Oh, weird. I feel like I should have triggered that at some point but maybe the deaths need to be in very rapid succession?. Also seems unnecessary, since you can accomplish the same thing in different, much less possible-to-do-by-accident way.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Thoom posted:

I definitely slept on Void Stranger too long. After a few hundred relatively straightforward Sokoban puzzles, I just fell down the rabbit hole, and it's more like a rabbit chasm.

once you're done with the metaphorical rabbit hole, you should go down a literal rabbit hole with Paquerette Down the Bunburrows

this game is loving awesome, i've been meaning to post about it here for a while. it plays nice like it's merely a super tightly designed sokoban puzzler like Snakebird or Stephen's Sausage Roll for a while, and then you get your first pickaxe and learn about the animal husbandry system and it suddenly becomes an exponential fractal nightmare of map-spanning metachallenges. It sets up early puzzles to intuitively teach new mechanics, but it gradually takes off the training wheels and leaves more and more of the gameplay systems up to you to learn yourself. for dozens of rooms i needed to sit and stare for thirty minutes or more just trying to unravel all the details of the room and the tools provided and the angles of approach, and whenever it clicked together and the solution became clear i always felt like a god.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Venuz Patrol posted:

once you're done with the metaphorical rabbit hole, you should go down a literal rabbit hole with Paquerette Down the Bunburrows

this game is loving awesome, i've been meaning to post about it here for a while. it plays nice like it's merely a super tightly designed sokoban puzzler like Snakebird or Stephen's Sausage Roll for a while, and then you get your first pickaxe and learn about the animal husbandry system and it suddenly becomes an exponential fractal nightmare of map-spanning metachallenges. It sets up early puzzles to intuitively teach new mechanics, but it gradually takes off the training wheels and leaves more and more of the gameplay systems up to you to learn yourself. for dozens of rooms i needed to sit and stare for thirty minutes or more just trying to unravel all the details of the room and the tools provided and the angles of approach, and whenever it clicked together and the solution became clear i always felt like a god.

I've been playing this game for a few days and wasn't as hot on it coming off of Void Stranger until I broke through the wall with the pickaxe, went to glitch land, mined my way into the "final" (lol) Burrow, shoveled into the final floor and then accidentally got a baby bunny. Elevator ride back up to the surface, roll credits while I didn't even have enough bunnies to enter that level in the first place. Now I'm in Hell stacking as many of these things as possible. Truly insane.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Venuz Patrol posted:

the demo for this just teases enough of its depths to really sell me on it

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Botany Manor is out.

It's a nice enough game, the environments are pleasant to walk around but the puzzling is basically cross referencing various sources of information so you can locate the right entry in a spreadsheet and enter it into a form. There's very little applying previous knowledge or inductive reasoning. I'd even go so far as to say more an adventure game than a true puzzle game but the lines get very blurry on the margins of genre.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 10, 2024

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I thought it was fun. Although the game is set in a large manor, progression is broken up into chapters and all the relevant knowledge you need to figure the plants out is located within each chapter's areas. A few of the early puzzles gave me trouble but that was because I was overthinking them. There's no grand puzzles or complex mechanics to figure out, so anyone hoping for a high difficulty might be disappointed.

It looks nice, has a good sense of place even though the art style is pretty simple. Can be completed in an afternoon or two.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
Wanted to give a quick shoutout to 14 Minesweeper Variants 2, which has a demo now and I already seem to like quite a bit.

With almost 90 hours in the first game I can heartily recommend either 1 or 2. Maybe I'll go back now and play more 1...

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

These kinds of minesweeper variant games are like catnip to me so my Steam wishlist is full of them, but I never actually buy them because I'm still very slowly working my way through Tametsi and repeatedly reassuring myself that I am not the dumbest person on the planet

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Long time no see Puzzle Games thread! I stopped reading around 5 months ago when Talos Principle 2 came out to avoid spoilers, since I knew it would take me a few months to get around to playing it, and I don't get a lot of time to actually play games nowadays so it took me a good month to actually finish. Finally finished it last night, I just went for the 100% ending first time, rather than getting an intermediate ending and then going back to finish the gold puzzles. It's a fantastic game, although I must admit that something is lost by having it not be as janky and ridiculous as TP1. Spending hours trying to find ways to platform out of levels and bring puzzle items with me in TP1 while trying to figure out where the hell the stars were is one of my favourite memories, but I understand why they couldn't do that again in TP2. I really hope we get a DLC akin to Road to Gehenna in the future.

Now I need to find a new game to scratch my puzzle game itch!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Hope people don’t mind if I crosspost from the “I completed a game” thread:

I just completed The Talos Principle II. It’s really good! Very solid puzzles and enjoyable new mechanics, though only a few puzzles that really properly stumped me. I wouldn’t rate it quite as highly as the first one, though; I guess partly because inevitably a sequel reusing puzzle elements form the first will not feel as groundbreaking, but I also felt the philosophical elements were lacking, or at least not what I was hoping for. I missed the ongoing dialogue that would catch me out when I contradicted something I’d said earlier, and I didn’t find a lot of the premise engaging. A society of sapient robots I can accept, but the extended bellyaching about “will we grow uncontrollably and repeat the mistakes of the past” seemed ridiculous coming from people who don’t need material resources and who don’t reproduce without deliberate effort.

Overall I suppose I was hoping for a different and more in-depth look at “how should a society govern itself”, rather than what felt like a simple growth/stagnation binary.

I also felt like some of the new puzzle elements weren’t really used to their fullest extent or used together; there was a bit too much reliance on the classic lasers/targets mechanic.

But these are really just nitpicks. It’s very good and a satisfying sequel to the original! I recommend it, but with a bit less fervour than I would the first one.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Isles of Sea and Sky just announced that it's coming out on May 22.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

TACD posted:

Hope people don’t mind if I crosspost from the “I completed a game” thread:

I just completed The Talos Principle II.

You're in luck, it looks like there is more Talos-related content coming soon.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

ultrafilter posted:

This is excellent news. The demo was one of my favorite games last year, and I was shocked that they took it down.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

ANIMAL WELL is coming out in less than 24 hours! :siren:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/813230/ANIMAL_WELL/

Sick looking metroidvania that will probably be really good and also have a ton of hidden secrets and puzzles.

quote:

Explore a dense, interconnected labyrinth, and unravel its many secrets. Collect items to manipulate your environment in surprising and meaningful ways.
Encounter beautiful and unsettling creatures, as you attempt to survive what lurks in the dark. There is more than what you see.

Hatch from your flower and spelunk through the beautiful and sometimes haunting world of Animal Well, a pixelated wonder rendered in intricate audio and visual detail.
Encounter lively creatures small and large, helpful and ominous as you discover unconventional upgrades and unravel the well’s secrets.
This is a truly unique experience that can make you laugh in fear, surprise, or delight.
Encounter beautiful creatures like a ghost cat, glowing worms, weird chittering boxes with small whales on them and a bubble:

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Animal Well had me from the moment they wrote "Dense atmospheric puzzle box world" in the Steam description. Anybody who uses the word "puzzle box" when describing their game world is my friend.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I'm really hyped about this. Nothing has quite ever recaptured the Fez magic for me, and it sounds like this takes a lot of inspiration.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

ultrafilter posted:

Flimf posted:

ANIMAL WELL is coming out in less than 24 hours! :siren:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/813230/ANIMAL_WELL/

Sick looking metroidvania that will probably be really good and also have a ton of hidden secrets and puzzles.

Encounter beautiful creatures like a ghost cat, glowing worms, weird chittering boxes with small whales on them and a bubble:

Hell yeah two good looking games

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

And Animal Well came out a few hours earlier than the Steam countdown! Nice thunderstorm outside too, ready to dig in

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Played Animal Well for about an hour, game is very cool so far. First of all it looks amazing, puzzles are pretty good. I found a handful of hidden things, but no idea what they're for yet. I hope it goes as hard into weird secrets and meta puzzles as Tunic or Void Stranger.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

grate deceiver posted:

Played Animal Well for about an hour, game is very cool so far. First of all it looks amazing, puzzles are pretty good. I found a handful of hidden things, but no idea what they're for yet. I hope it goes as hard into weird secrets and meta puzzles as Tunic or Void Stranger.

I mainlined it today and got the ending, now I'm onto the post-credits stuff, and yeah I can't imagine it not satisfying anyone's desire for weird meta secrets - I think it is a deceptively big game. There's a dedicated thread here too if anyone wants to collaborate on stuff.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Lorelei and the Laser Eyes coming out later today. It's from the Sayonara Wild Hearts studio and also that old ipad horror game "Year Walk" that was really good.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2008920/Lorelei_and_the_Laser_Eyes/

quote:

A woman, summoned by an eccentric man to participate in a project in an old hotel somewhere in central Europe, becomes embroiled in a game of illusions, increasingly dangerous and surreal.
Now you are invited to fall into the same rabbit hole, in a non-linear mystery with an immense amount of handcrafted puzzles, constantly presenting you with new riddles to solve, each leading you closer to deciphering the enigma of Lorelei and the Laser Eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJVCBBMsrf0

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's gotten some pretty wild endorsements too, more than one reviewer going "I've never given out a perfect 10 in my career but this is worth it"

I was sold on it being a puzzle game from the sayonara wild hearts dev but the reviews have me picking it up on launch

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013

flatluigi posted:

it's gotten some pretty wild endorsements too, more than one reviewer going "I've never given out a perfect 10 in my career but this is worth it"

I was sold on it being a puzzle game from the sayonara wild hearts dev but the reviews have me picking it up on launch

Read various reviews and realised it was an instant buy for me. Has anyone started a thread for it yet? Sounds like some help solving all the puzzles might be required!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Anyone getting headaches from the screen transtitions in Lorelei? Not sure what it is, but the effect is so much worse than a straight screen switch.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

MisterBear posted:

Read various reviews and realised it was an instant buy for me. Has anyone started a thread for it yet? Sounds like some help solving all the puzzles might be required!

i think it probably deserves a thread - there's some lore stuff and almost definitely some super secret stuff that'd be worth discovering

i'm four and a half hours in with a progress percentage of 51%. game's fuckin good

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013

flatluigi posted:

i think it probably deserves a thread - there's some lore stuff and almost definitely some super secret stuff that'd be worth discovering

i'm four and a half hours in with a progress percentage of 51%. game's fuckin good

Done - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4060888&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Seems like Croteam's been teasing some new content for TP2

https://twitter.com/TalosPrinciple/status/1787467197901643850

https://twitter.com/TalosPrinciple/status/1790714877884985716

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Just finished Chants of Sennaar. I'm happy to put it into the Obra Dinn-likes along with Case of the Golden Idol, even if Chants is considerably more uneven than those two. What is good is nice and puzzle-y, though a few points do sag. I feel it will be compared to Heaven's Vault even those games are nothing alike except being about translation. I like that when guessing the meaning of a glyph, you can type in whatever you want, unlike Heaven's Vault which gives you choices. It means you must figure out some words by context, but on the other hand it means the game must give you the occasional Rosetta Stone type softball to get some purchase. Yeah, the stealth sections are not great. The game's aesthetic reminds me of that 1-Bit retro roguelike Rouge Invader. I was pleased with how needing to work to understand someone actually helps the dialog carry a little more weight, considering how simple it all is. Certainly worth the $15 or whatever it was when on sale.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

So having Netflix means I have braid anniversary edition... And one of the first commentaries is "this is intended to be an art game and it IS NOT Mario" yeah that soulja boy video hit him hard lol

There are 15 hours of commentary if this is how I'm accessing the new levels uhhh maybe not

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I adored The Witness but missed Braid back in the day, so I finally went and played it around a year ago, and found it to be kinda not very good. The game itself felt fiddly and awkward to play, the "story" was mostly absent until the end when it was completely overwrought, and the hidden secrets to unlock the actual ending are so inscrutable that they may as well not even be in the game. Most of all, I just found it boring. There were one or two nice "aha!" moments but that's it.

I can see why it is lauded given when it came out, but I have absolutely no interest in picking up the anniversary edition.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Even at the time blow was lauded for doing some inventive puzzles (for that time) that filled up your dopamine meter once you figured out the solution, but outside that he was a bit of a dope especially as to how the story was essentially either a girl telling a nice guy she didn't appreciate his advances, or blowing up in a mushroom cloud where a random oppenheimer quote confused everyone. The hidden ending puzzle is famously obtuse which nobody liked. If he didn't employ david hellman to do the art and used the cello music it likely would have less of an impact, which would be a loss to the gaming landscape

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

The Saddest Rhino posted:

but outside that he was a bit of a dope especially as to how the story was essentially either a girl telling a nice guy she didn't appreciate his advances

To be fair, while it's all a little trite, the bits of story at the end make it pretty clear he was wrong for continuing to pursue her & made both their lives worse by doing so.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

man, already two puzzle masterpieces this month and then Isles of Sea and Sky on tuesday. it's just not fair lol

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Superrodan posted:

I know everyone is super busy with TP2, but I released a puzzle game today inspired by Obra Dinn and Her Story. It's free to play in-browser, though don't think of it as a flash style game (it takes between 7 and 8 hours to beat minimum.) Please, feel free to check it out and give it a go. If you know anyone outside of SA who is looking for more puzzle recommendations, feel free to share it wherever. I'm just trying to get it out there. Thanks!

https://jjohnstongames.itch.io/the-roottrees-are-dead

I just found this thread and played this over the weekend, and wanted to let you know that it is excellent, and I really enjoyed it! Thank you!

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Prophet of Nixon posted:

I just found this thread and played this over the weekend, and wanted to let you know that it is excellent, and I really enjoyed it! Thank you!

Thanks! There's a steam version on the way that's currently in development. It's coming along well, and will have some new content in it.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Superrodan posted:

Thanks! There's a steam version on the way that's currently in development. It's coming along well, and will have some new content in it.
all-new, even deader roottrees

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Sivart13 posted:

all-new, even deader roottrees

Trim the rotten branches so the stem may prosper!

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Way of Rhea came out today. It's a pretty cool puzzle platformer that at its core is pretty traditional. Hit switches, open doors, use teleporters, etc. all to get to the level's exit.

I've been testing it on and off for a few years now and can definitely recommend it:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1110620/Way_of_Rhea/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

So having Netflix means I have braid anniversary edition... And one of the first commentaries is "this is intended to be an art game and it IS NOT Mario" yeah that soulja boy video hit him hard lol

There are 15 hours of commentary if this is how I'm accessing the new levels uhhh maybe not
I feel bad for Blow on the Soulja Boy thing because he was being interviewed and putting the soulja boy clip there was the documentary director's choice.

quote:

I didn't even do that. We liked the Soulja Boy video and thought it was great that a famous dude was getting a kick out of the game. The Soulja Boy/Braid meme thing is a weird distortion based on a scene from the movie being kinda unclear / easy to misinterpret.
I think what he was (excessively vocally) annoyed with were people who were saying stuff like the ending proves the game is actually about nuclear bombs/reductive critical takes.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 20, 2024