Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

yeah that's right im a silver medallion kind of a big deal

hello, Flying Orchid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think there's room for "fun" in safety videos, but there should be a requirement to show or explain the evacuation process in a way that's strictly informative and practical.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Bring back Deltalina.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Look, all I'm saying is if my life is potentially reliant on other passengers 'getting' the safety briefing, I want it to be clear and concise and unmistakable. You can't make a video that grabs the attention of every person, but using metaphors can absolutely be a problem for some people in processing the information and I'm not referring to intelligence.

Yes, they can just read the seat back information instead. That's fine. Perhaps I'm a little salty thinking about all the resources that went into producing fluff like for that for "branding" when the airlines nickel and dime passengers for everything.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
i don't think it's too much of an ask to show how an evacuation works on an actual airplane instead of some tropical dream world. if you want to make the video fun or whatever outside of that, go nuts.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I am sure that the Delta safety video cost up to an incremental cent per flight for Delta's 190 million passengers

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Having a flashback to Tyler Durden narrating emergency airplane fliers, "as calm as Hindu cows"

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Hell is other people

and resources spent wrong for their sins is a failure of capitalism or communism

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

the delta videos are good, people pay attention to them more at least :colbert:

The last one I saw was the one with the internet memes and the uncanny valley redhead

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
this is timely

https://www.businessinsider.com/united-airlines-safety-video-wont-make-passengers-less-distracted-2024-5

quote:

I used to work in airline safety. United's new video has good intentions, but I don't think it will make passengers any less distracted.

top of page bullet points are

quote:

United Airlines' new inflight safety video is creative but also extremely distracting.

The video's busy and engaging theatrics overshadow key safety information.

Japan Airlines' straightforward safety video likely helped save 379 people escape a fire in January.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think cultural stereotypes are a dangerous game, but in regards to the JAL flight: absolutely loving correct. The safety video was presented in a sensible way, and the passengers paid attention to it because they were told to pay attention to it. Then, when an emergency happened, they knew the mission, and evacuated the plane as they had been instructed to do.

If that's not "enough" it's because you have a cultural problem you need to sort the gently caress out before you send people in an environment with possible catastrophic risks.

AF358 was the same, with one passenger stating that the evacuation was aided by the re-briefing of exit locations during the pre-landing passenger brief. This stuff matters, it's inappropriate to ignore briefings even if you are a very experienced passenger or -- to wit -- a pilot! You complete the briefings every time, and you pay attention to them, so the pertinent information is in your short term memory, I don't care if you've already done it five times that same day.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 16, 2024

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I am sure that the Delta safety video cost up to an incremental cent per flight for Delta's 190 million passengers

The Delta videos have clearly been some sort of a personal project for the CEO for quite some time now.

Phanatic posted:

Bring back Deltalina.

They used that video for too long. A certain type of frequent fliers apparently started getting really weird whenever she worked a flight.

My problem with the US safety videos is that they don’t actually show how slides work unlike JAL.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

hobbesmaster posted:

My problem with the US safety videos is that they don’t actually show how slides work unlike JAL.

Which seems like a pretty goddamn key piece of information to give to untrained passengers operating under duress.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Currently spending time with FiFi and her maintenance crew getting her ready for show season. Excellent way to spend a rainy, lovely, Texas Thursday.

(I was here for a range day event but the idea of slogging around the Waxhatchie Texas mud amidst heavy rain and lightning without rain gear and boots holding guns made out of metal under a metal roof didn't strike me as wise, so this made a nice consolation prize)

Also, I found a loose screw in #1's engine intake so I got to kinda-sorta help preflight FiFi! :v:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is there a published statistic of how likely you are to survive if the oxygen masks drop from the ceiling on a commercial flight

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Is there a published statistic of how likely you are to survive if the oxygen masks drop from the ceiling on a commercial flight

100%, near enough.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

hobbesmaster posted:

I feel like that's lacking in the pamphlet pictograms too

1: pull handle
2: slide down slide

I feel there's gotta be some intermediary steps in there.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I like to think I'm a fairly mellow guy in most ways but I swear to god, if I'm ever on a emergency evac and someone is blocking the way due to insisting to bring their carry-on backpack and suitcase with them, I will lose my poo poo.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

slidebite posted:

I like to think I'm a fairly mellow guy in most ways but I swear to god, if I'm ever on a emergency evac and someone is blocking the way due to insisting to bring their carry-on backpack and suitcase with them, I will lose my poo poo.

Relax, we're about due for another novel attempted in-cabin attack and this time they'll use it as an excuse to ban carryons for good.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Fatalities happen when the *pilots* don't go on oxygen quickly enough.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

PT6A posted:

If that's not "enough" it's because you have a cultural problem you need to sort the gently caress out before you send people in an environment with possible catastrophic risks.

How to make a good safety video in two easy steps:

Step 1: Unfuck entire country

Step 2: Record safety video

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Midjack posted:

Relax, we're about due for another novel attempted in-cabin attack and this time they'll use it as an excuse to ban carryons for good.

Looking forward to flying economy in a hospital smock and those disposable to flops the nail place gives my wife, with my cell phone and wedding ring in a locked pouch like they have at concert halls

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Hadlock posted:

I have survived 100% of the times it has happened to me, which is twice. Not super fun.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
If avherald is to be believed then there is an in-flight single engine shutdown or pressurization failure somewhere in the world every few days or so.

Not exactly the good kind of excitement, but as emergencies go they are fairly routine and require significant additional compounding factors to result in injuries or fatalities.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Elviscat posted:

The only safety presentation I remember is the time I sat in an exit row of a Delta 744 (I think it may have even still had some northwest markings at the time). I have no idea if this was the written procedure, but the FA seated at the door said that she would operate the door, however if she was incapacitated you will need to move my body out of the jump seat by releasing the 5 point harness, fold up the jumpseat, operate the door, wait for the slide to fully inflate and do not let any suitcases or shoes on the slide because we are over 3 stories above the ground.

It feels like an exaggeration, but she really explicitly used the word incapacitated and “my body”. I don’t recall the exact words but she was communicating that we were multiple stories off the ground and you can die without that slide. It’s I think the only time I’ve ever heard a flight crew member truly emphasize to a passenger that flying is a potentially deadly business.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
They should split screen the inflight safety briefing with subway surfers footage.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Elviscat posted:

I grab the exit-row seats whenever possible because I a a 6'1" widebody. There are detailed instructions on how to remove / open the door and push the slide cartridge in place, it arms & fires itself after (it's three steps total, I think)

I love when they ask of I am physically able to operate the door because holy poo poo if we're on fire that door is coming off no problem.

hobbesmaster posted:

The only safety presentation I remember is the time I sat in an exit row of a Delta 744 (I think it may have even still had some northwest markings at the time). I have no idea if this was the written procedure, but the FA seated at the door said that she would operate the door, however if she was incapacitated you will need to move my body out of the jump seat by releasing the 5 point harness, fold up the jumpseat, operate the door, wait for the slide to fully inflate and do not let any suitcases or shoes on the slide because we are over 3 stories above the ground.

It feels like an exaggeration, but she really explicitly used the word incapacitated and “my body”. I don’t recall the exact words but she was communicating that we were multiple stories off the ground and you can die without that slide. It’s I think the only time I’ve ever heard a flight crew member truly emphasize to a passenger that flying is a potentially deadly business.

Yeah there's a pause there, after the thing is armed you gotta wait. I will have no problem clearing a lane once my wife goes down first.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So did we come to a conclusion on whether or not I need to throw hands with Sully?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sully is Mike Rowe level bad at worst, not Bart Sibrel bad.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Eh, Mike's org gave my brother a full ride to a very nice trade college thing so he gets a pass in my book.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Warbird posted:

Eh, Mike's org gave my brother a full ride to a very nice trade college thing so he gets a pass in my book.

To be fair, if Sully gave me a full ride into the Hudson River, I’d be singing him praises.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Platystemon posted:

To be fair, if Sully gave me a full ride into the Hudson River, I’d be singing him praises.

Is that what they call it these days?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqYqFvEUaZs

You know what helicopters need? More blades!

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

That's what happens when all the good ideas are patented

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Air Canada’s current safety video includes a Longview cowboy pulling a safety procedures card out of his saddlebag to examine it while driving the herd.

That being said, when the plane is struggling with wind and the flight attendant asks everyone to quickly review the safety card before final… yeah I read it.

Also, sitting directly above the landing gear in a CRJ is scary because you can feel it smack into the bottom of your feet on retraction. Extension is somehow worse!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I was looking into flying to Montreal for a concert in October and actually biased United because they use Embraer 175s over Air Canada's CRJs.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jonny Nox posted:

Air Canada’s current safety video includes a Longview cowboy pulling a safety procedures card out of his saddlebag to examine it while driving the herd.

That being said, when the plane is struggling with wind and the flight attendant asks everyone to quickly review the safety card before final… yeah I read it.

Also, sitting directly above the landing gear in a CRJ is scary because you can feel it smack into the bottom of your feet on retraction. Extension is somehow worse!

On the DC-9-50 (and maybe MD-83/88?) if you sit around there you get here an extremely loud sound similar to dogs barking (hydraulic pump) and smell a strong scent of burning rubber.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I was looking into flying to Montreal for a concert in October and actually biased United because they use Embraer 175s over Air Canada's CRJs.

I booked an Air Canada flight that was code-shared (is that the right term?) with a United flight. I don't know precisely what I was flying on but the United flight was utterly bare. No inflight entertainment (not that I use them) and the seats were thinly padded and downright uncomfortable. Not that I've been on one but I thought I was on a Spirit flight. At least it was a fairly short flight from Newark to Toronto but I wouldn't do it again despite the lower ticket price. United and Air Canada also fly out of different terminals at Newark so that could have ended badly for me but at least I knew something was up when I couldn't check in online on Air Canada's site.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 19, 2024

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Edward IV posted:

I booked an Air Canada flight that was code-shared (is that the right term?) with a United flight. I don't know precisely what I was flying on but the United flight was utterly bare. No inflight entertainment (not that I use them) and the seats were thinly padded and downright uncomfortable. Not that I've been on one but I thought I was on a Spirit flight. At least it was a fairly short flight from Newark to Toronto but I wouldn't do it again despite the lower ticket price. United and Air Canada also fly out of different terminals at Newark so that could have ended badly for me but at least I knew something was up when I couldn't check in online on Air Canada's site.

CRJ? I thought all of United’s mainline had IFE, even if it’s pretty old. For example the old directTV system on their now 20+ year old 737 NGs aren’t bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

hobbesmaster posted:

On the DC-9-50 (and maybe MD-83/88?) if you sit around there you get here an extremely loud sound similar to dogs barking (hydraulic pump) and smell a strong scent of burning rubber.

It's the smaller Airbuses that sound like something is seriously mechanically wrong whenever they switch hydraulic modes, right?