Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Really that fight is super-easy and based on my experience, the vast majority of deaths are from rolling too far, being knocked into the lava by his attacks or awkwardly brushed off the side by his giant character model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

The most annoying part of that fight for me is actually getting over to it. I have to put on item find gear to farm the shards from the ironclads in the spiky/fire room below the bonfire, time it correctly so I can aggro them one at a time into the fire but not get my rear end burned off, then hope they died close enough to the edge of the flames that I can grab the titanite or whatever without turning off the flames, then change my gear again and go to the fight, only to get knocked into that tiny pool during what should be a surprisingly simple battle.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

im pooping! posted:

The most annoying part of that fight for me is actually getting over to it. I have to put on item find gear to farm the shards from the ironclads in the spiky/fire room below the bonfire, time it correctly so I can aggro them one at a time into the fire but not get my rear end burned off, then hope they died close enough to the edge of the flames that I can grab the titanite or whatever without turning off the flames, then change my gear again and go to the fight, only to get knocked into that tiny pool during what should be a surprisingly simple battle.
wtf dude just roll past the one guy standing in your way

Or kill them without the fire because they are actually super easy once you figure out their three attacks

If you are so hell-bent on farming for whatever ridiculous reason then just farm then once the fifteen times or so until they stop spawning and your autism rests.

Or you realize that with the new patch, being in Covenant of Champions will make them respawn infinitely. Problem solved.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

im pooping! posted:

Yea I too am having a hard time understanding why you insist on farming titanite from those dudes. There are so many ways to buy/find titanite shards, you really shouldn't ever be hurting for them. Is this an OCD thing?

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Is this an OCD thing?

yes

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

So what do you do with all the shards? Do you build up a really big supply of them and just keep them stashed or are you carrying around a shitload of different +10 weapons?

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

So what do you do with all the shards? Do you build up a really big supply of them and just keep them stashed or are you carrying around a shitload of different +10 weapons?

Yes to both

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I got summoned there twice by someone whose steam profile said they were a CD Projekt developer and I rolled into the lava pit both times. Now I'll never get to beta test witcher 3 and it's all that stupid lava pit's fault.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

One of my favourite things about the DS series is the different experiences people will have with the same boss. I'm pretty crap (like, really crap) but I co-oped the Iron King once and then beat him alone after that. I had one eye on the lava pit the entire time, which is I think what saved me.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

MysticalMachineGun posted:

One of my favourite things about the DS series is the different experiences people will have with the same boss. I'm pretty crap (like, really crap) but I co-oped the Iron King once and then beat him alone after that. I had one eye on the lava pit the entire time, which is I think what saved me.

Yeah, most of the time it's really just about being constantly aware of how much space you have to work with and not doing that panicked "mash the roll button!" thing. But then again sometimes you'll just get clipped by something that knocks you off the platform and there's not a drat thing to be done about it.

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

The first time I managed to kill the Royal Rat Authority (which I was having a lot of trouble with at the time), I died at the exact moment the boss died and so of course it didn't count. That was painful but this has to be a million times worse. :cripes:

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Kimmalah posted:

Yeah, most of the time it's really just about being constantly aware of how much space you have to work with and not doing that panicked "mash the roll button!" thing. But then again sometimes you'll just get clipped by something that knocks you off the platform and there's not a drat thing to be done about it.

The first time I managed to kill the Royal Rat Authority (which I was having a lot of trouble with at the time), I died at the exact moment the boss died and so of course it didn't count. That was painful but this has to be a million times worse. :cripes:

I remember seeing (I think it was in Geop's LP) a bit where the player died to the Centipede Demon, and then Solaire killed the Demon quickly enough that it counted anyway.

Maybe that changed for Dark Souls 2, though.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Alien Arcana posted:

I remember seeing (I think it was in Geop's LP) a bit where the player died to the Centipede Demon, and then Solaire killed the Demon quickly enough that it counted anyway.

Maybe that changed for Dark Souls 2, though.

I know things like that have happened a few times in the Pure Black LP, so maybe it counts if a summon survives long enough to kill them? I've only ever seen it happen in 2 when players were playing solo (and it never counted) so I don't know if the summon getting the kill is what makes the difference or if they just changed it.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Kimmalah posted:

Man, gently caress the Royal Rat Authority. The clipping was so horrible, not to mention the annoying rats plinking away and breaking your guard.

Then you find out it's an optional boss... (I think)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

That happened to me just yesterday fighting the royal rat authority actually, it had one hit left but had just done its barf attack so I figured I'd just kill it and take the death, but even though its health was at 0 for a good three seconds before mine hit 0, the game didn't give me credit so I had to do it all again. It's such a godawful boss fight and I don't know why I even do it when I'm not planning on being a rat.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
For what it's worth I didn't even know the Royal Rat Authority boss existed until like my tenth playthrough

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Mr Dog posted:

For what it's worth I didn't even know the Royal Rat Authority boss existed until like my tenth playthrough

You lucky bastard

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Mr Dog posted:

Yeah, that fight easily gets my vote for worst boss in Souls' history. Also, it's a loving DOG. NOT A RAT.

To contribute: This guy doesn't look like he's having a great time

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've never made it through that area once without it happening multiple times. I don't know what's wrong with those guys.

They must desperately want to be lawn ornaments.

unrelated: Had this recording sitting around for a long time, this was the first time I ever saw dragon aerie. Kind of destroyed the first impression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp9nR5jgcHM

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

West Ham Sandwich posted:

Yeah, that fight easily gets my vote for worst boss in Souls' history. Also, it's a loving DOG. NOT A RAT.

Worst in Souls' history? Um. Bed of Chaos would like a word.

Also - he's a dog with authority over rats. No one said he was a rat. RRA is like a Sif fight with that bullshit, huge-rear end hitbox charge attack thrown in. Oh and the little rats guys who are annoying as poo poo.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

HaB posted:

Worst in Souls' history? Um. Bed of Chaos would like a word.

Also - he's a dog with authority over rats. No one said he was a rat. RRA is like a Sif fight with that bullshit, huge-rear end hitbox charge attack thrown in. Oh and the little rats guys who are annoying as poo poo.

The rats (or "ratlike beasts") in Doors of Pharros are a unique enemy type called a Dog/Mongrel Rat and Royal Rat Authority is just a blown up version of their model. They're all supposed to be kind of a hybrid so no he's not a dog but he's not a rat either.

The other short stubby rats you encounter in places like Grave of Saints are actually a different thing altogether.

Edit: Forgot the :spergin: smiley this post deserves

Kimmalah has a new favorite as of 13:52 on Mar 2, 2015

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
DS2:
Some guy invades me in Heide's and when things start going sour for him he runs away to that room with the four giant knights to heal in safety. Which is when I use a giant seed and see him get pasted in seconds by the knights. It's the little things.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
/\/\/\ That's just beautiful.

HaB posted:

Also - he's a dog with authority over rats. No one said he was a rat.

Should have been a terrier.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Alien Arcana posted:

Link it, that sounds fantastic.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Recently I was invaded in DS2 while at the King's Gate bonfire in Drangleic Castle. We dueled in the narrow hallway right outside the bonfire room until, I got him down to about 50% health at which point he predictably retreated into the room with all the Ruin Sentinels in it.

We proceeded to have a stare-down that lasted literally 10+ minutes, both of us refusing to cross into hostile territory(of course he's the pussy in this situation because I was the one willing to duel 1on1, but I digress). Finally I think he thought I had walked away from the television because I hadn't moved a muscle in ten minutes. I let him get close and then lopped off another 1/3 of his health, taking him down to his last hit or two. He runs away again into the Sentinel room.

This time I turned my back to him and waited another 5-6 minutes as he just stood there staring at me from the safety of the Sentinel room. Eventually he got bored and slowly approached, only for me to whip around like a horror movie villain and scare him into retreat. It became a game between us, how long could I stand with my back to him and still be able to turn around and defend myself at the last instant. After at least 3 cycles of this game he misjudged the length of my uchi and died. I was sad that it had to end.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
There's lots of summon signs at that bonfire because the PvE game's progression crosses through it multiple times. You could always eat an Effigy and call for backup. Or there's always the Giant Seed option :getin:

I had a fight like that a while back which was a bit more aggressively fought, made interesting by the fact that the invader kept a Warmth going in that room which kept things at a stalemate. Eventually the Sunbro and I managed to pick off enough stone soldiers that we could rush the guy down but it was a pretty close fight even then.

Alternatively if you have the onward path open you could rush through the room and onwards to the Dragonrider boss fight. The invader is forced to pursue you and fight 1v1 or you can deadrun the rest of the map and banish him using the boss fogwall. It's actually a really fun place to get invaded because there are a whole bunch of tactical options available for invader and invadee.

Invasions and duels in DS2 are pretty fun regardless, just as long as it isn't Yet Another Katana Douchebag. Hopefully the re-release will nerf katanas into the loving ground. I mean I can kind of deal with them but if the connection to the invader is laggy then the phantom range bullshit is a nightmare. Making them do minimal poise damage would probably be enough to balance them.

Sapozhnik has a new favorite as of 19:33 on Mar 4, 2015

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I watched a friend Of mine fight Smaug and Ornstein for about 20 minutes with predictable results. Eventually he stopped trying to fight all the Knights on the way and just started running past them to the fog gate. The last knight by the stairs winged him pretty good , but he made it into the boss room. He stopped for a moment to use his estus flask and suddenly the knight from the stairs stuck him arm through the fog gate, stabbed him in the back and killing him just as Ornstein smashed his corpse with his hammer.

YOU DIED

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I watched a friend Of mine fight Smaug and Ornstein for about 20 minutes with predictable results. Eventually he stopped trying to fight all the Knights on the way and just started running past them to the fog gate. The last knight by the stairs winged him pretty good , but he made it into the boss room. He stopped for a moment to use his estus flask and suddenly the knight from the stairs stuck him arm through the fog gate, stabbed him in the back and killing him just as Ornstein smashed his corpse with his hammer.

YOU DIED

Not the same exact scenario but pretty close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-_tdMzXpbs

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
I just recently started a lvl 1 run through the game and in Heide's I got invaded three times in a row at the same spot by the same person. Each time I tried my best (note: my best is worse than your worst) and got my dumb rear end killed every fight. On the fourth invasion in a row, they took one look at me and walked off the nearest drop into the ocean.

Victory.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RareAcumen posted:

Not the same exact scenario but pretty close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-_tdMzXpbs

haha Deja Vu. I had no idea Slowbeef did a blind run of Dark Souls, I guess I know what I"m doing with my night. I think half the fun of Dark Souls is watching people who have no idea what's about to happen to them. Can't wait for Bloodbourne so the cycle can start anew.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Xander77 posted:

Link it, that sounds fantastic.

I checked and actually I was thinking of Gul Banana's Dark Souls LP, specifically Episode 78: The Floor is Lava. Gul steps into the lava and burns to death just as Solaire finishes off the Demon.

Watching it again, though, it looks like the Demon died a second before Gul, so maybe you can't score a posthumous victory against bosses. I know that does work for multiplayer, at least under some circumstances - if you die, and someone else kills your target before the loading screen comes up, you still get the rewards.

(Incidentally, what happened in Geop's LP was that the Centipede Demon and Solaire took each other out while Geop was dicking around. Episode 96: Jolly Recuperation.)

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I played through Demons, and Dark Souls 1 a long time ago. Just got my ps3 repaired and jumped into DS2 after the non-challenge that is GTAV. My personal moment is when I'm all tuned up about getting pyromancy finally. Get all my attunement up high enough for a single slot, stick fireball in at the bonfire. Cast it...and watch my knight lob a pitiful softball worth of fire about 8 feet. A blow dryer on low looks like it put out more heat. At that moment I flashed back to the exact same moment I had experienced with the first dark souls and getting pyromancy for the first time.

Dark souls.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
was this ever posted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFG07ppe5w8

i dont know if it got patched out. it's hilarious though

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

AKZ posted:

I played through Demons, and Dark Souls 1 a long time ago. Just got my ps3 repaired and jumped into DS2 after the non-challenge that is GTAV. My personal moment is when I'm all tuned up about getting pyromancy finally. Get all my attunement up high enough for a single slot, stick fireball in at the bonfire. Cast it...and watch my knight lob a pitiful softball worth of fire about 8 feet. A blow dryer on low looks like it put out more heat. At that moment I flashed back to the exact same moment I had experienced with the first dark souls and getting pyromancy for the first time.

Dark souls.

Hey being able to throw fire at all is pretty cool if you ask me :colbert:

At least it doesn't look as lame as combustion.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Blind Sally posted:

ahahah oh god :allears:

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Blind Sally posted:

I would like to read the hate mail that doing this generated.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HairyManling posted:

I would like to read the hate mail that doing this generated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGTEcESsql4

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!
There are multiple people who can ruin my life

The entire Sony staff, someone mail me a PS4

snipermonkey
Jun 30, 2010
Can someone post the Dark Souls 1 video, where a guy tricks invaders in Oolacile into thinking he is first time player and when the invaders attack he parries their blows and switches into the demon/dragon hammer and counter attacks. Has it been posted already in this thread? Have tried to search it on youtube, but no luck in finding it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtT2xYZbWBs

• Locked thread