Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

A, 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

B

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I'm with Sorcerer on this one. We must raise this child to be the destined one. And to do that, we must keep her trust, so we shall not lie. But that doesn't mean we have to tell the truth either. Mystery... that is the way of magic.

B, 4

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jun 6, 2021

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Gonna change my vote to libido just to see the picture.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Picking A Post: 1d8 2

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Easy choice.

A

”Shards” posted:

No, no no no… Sarah could feel her mind tearing, it was an uncomfortable feeling. Like imaginary fingers pulling on her mind, making tiny rips in her scalp, her skull throbbed like there was too much pressure, and she tried her best to maintain composure. Then the moment was over, and she tried to catch her breath. Emily seemed not to notice, and waited, calmly, for an answer. She was staring at Sarah, she was placid, her eyes appraised the cat cooly, though Sarah noticed her hand was clenched, and that her knuckles were a bright blue, almost white.

Memory: Academia, your pupil, the joy on our face of her success. The color of her blood after her betrayal. The weeping at her interment.
Teacher: Give it to her plainly.

“I’m an ancient powerful sorcerer, who once was more important than this entire world. Unable to kill me, or defeat me, my enemies broke into my home in the dead of night and put my soul into the body of my cat, cursed me to never be able to talk about my past, or to return to the nation I once knew, and then killed me. I was far more clever than them, and in a turn of luck, had already made my cat immortal. Now we share this body, and I roam the world looking for things to give my life meaning. Mostly it was running in the night, frolicking with the fey of the forest and hunting small animals. Now the voices in my head scream that I must help you, that you are important, that destiny follows you everywhere you go. I assume they expect me to become your familiar and lead you, to where I don’t know.”

“Who were you?” Emily asked.

Memory: A gentle touch, her warm smile, a crown made of bone, eating grapes by the charnel pits.

“I was powerful, beautiful, and intelligent. I was closer to being a god than any other creature in this world had ever gotten. I was… Amazing in so many ways. I made few friends, and even fewer mistakes. People looked up to me, they saw my success and it inspired them to try and reach the same heights as me. I regret nothing.”

Guilt: Liar. You said you wouldn’t lie to her.

Sarah sighed, “I regret very little of it, if I could do it over, I would have been less cruel, a touch more understanding, friendlier to those around me. I’ve outlived them all now, and the cruel life of a stray cat has… Softened some edges.”

Emily looked at her, “Why me?”

Sorcerer: Because you’re important.

“Because you’re important.”

Emily looked at her, and raised an eyebrow, “How am I important?”

Sorcerer: Destiny follows you, it’s scent is all over you.

“Destiny follows you, it’s scent is all over you.”

Emily looked at Sarah for a moment, “You have the wrong person, I’m not special.”

Sorcerer: Look at her through my eyes.

How am I doing this? Sarah looked at her, “You are a sorcerer.”

“No, I’m not,” She laughed, “Sorcerers are dangerous, who cast wild magics that hurt those around them. They can’t control their magic. I am a magi, my power is learned.” Her voice betrayed her, it was breaking and she wouldn’t look Sarah in the face.

“To hell you are, you have a maelstrom of magic around you. I can see it. You’re like a conduit, you drew me to you. Why are you so afraid?” She asked, confused.

“Sorcerers are taken to the tower, where they can’t hurt anyone.” She said quietly.

Sarah looked at her, “You’re scared.”

“I am not a sorcerer, I’m a well learned mage.”

“That’s why you study so hard, to fake it, this must be so boring for you.” Sarah said, shocked.

“I don’t want to talk about this anymore.”

“You could be taught to do so much more.”

Emily looked at her, her curiosity was piqued, “I could?” She shook her head, “If I was caught using wild magic, they’d take me to the tower.”

“That’s the second time you’ve mentioned it, what is the tower?” Sarah said, confused.

“It’s… It’s a spire, built far off from the continent, where people who can’t control their magic go. It’s just to teach them, they’re released once they’re under control.” She bit her lip and looked away, “But… Many of them, everyone I know that comes from The Tower, comes out blank. They say it’s for their own good, but I don’t know. They have no more emotions, no fear, no love, nothing.”

“And every sorcerer goes to the tower.” Sarah asked with a gasp.

“Every single one of them, since the tower was built, 500 years ago. Including... ” Her eyes started to well up with tears.

“Your mother.” Sarah finished. “But without a teacher, how have you managed to control your power?”

Emily picked up her hair, and showed Sarah a sharp piece of metal that was jutting out of it, “Is that… That’s human tech?!”

“You shouldn’t even be able to do magic with that on. The fact that you can… Who gave that to you?!” Sarah was disgusted.

Teacher: Such potential wasted, she needs proper training.

“My Dad bought it for me, after what happened to Mom.” She looked away, “After what happened, he wanted to protect me.” Emily said.

“Do you ever take it off?” Sarah asked as Emily turned back around.

“No of course not!” Emily nearly shrieked.

“I know why I was brought here. Emily I have to teach you. Magic and destiny tends to intertwine in the most dramatic way possible. With your power, you’d be able to do so much, they wouldn’t be able to take you away.” She looked at her.

“What do you mean,” Emily whispered.

“I was a sorcerer, I was so strong, it took them entire lifetimes just to look for a way to stop me. And even then they only managed to inconvenience me at best.”

Guilt: You’ve been eating rats for the last 500 years, I would say you were more the-
Teacher: Hush.
Queen: They have become complacent, this world would be ours.
Guilt: Oh good, so we’re just going back to the old ways. That got everyone we knew and loved murdered, our home torn from us, and had us live in isolation for the last HALF of our entire life time.
Teacher: Be gentle, ease her into it, she would make such a great pupil.
Sorcerer: Her power is overwhelming, and she’s not the only one, there are others.
Empathy: Teaching her is good, but we shouldn’t be using her
Teacher: Of course not, we wouldn’t be, but she is able to do magic with a limiter, we couldn’t even do that...

“Together, we could… We could do so much.” Sarah said.

“What could one person do?” Emily said, “What if I get caught?”

“With my teaching, no-one would dare even attempt it.” Sarah could taste the power, she could see it, it was so close. “They would have to follow your rules. This world may be different, there may be new knowledges, new studies, new technologies, but nothing on this Earth can actually stop a Sorcerer, which is probably why they lock them all away.”

“Would I have to take the limiter off..?” Emily said, touching it.

“Of course not, not at first, not until you’re ready.” Sarah could see she was bending, “I promise you, if you do this, your life will change in ways you never thought possible. You will be able to control the very physics of the world itself. No wound would be able to hurt you, or those you love. I was almost able to turn back time, and was actually able to stop it. For a few seconds at least. You’d be master among peasants.”

Emily whispered, “Would… Would we be able to fix my mom.”

Sorcerer: Yes, magic can do anything.
Queen: We simply don’t know, but lie to her.
Teacher: We need her as a student, her potential is astronomical.
Intellect: We don’t know what happened to her, we can’t say for sure
Empathy: Don’t give her false hope

“I… I don’t know,” Sarah said, “I will say that with sufficient amounts of magic, almost no wound, magical or physical is irreversible, even those provided by Human Artifacts have been reversed by removing the technology. I will never lie to you, and say that I’m a hundred percent sure about this, but I have yet to find an obstacle that Magic has not helped me remove.”

“When could we start?” Emily bit her lip, and looked excited. “But I have school, and finals are coming up soon.”

Pick One or Two.

A.) Tonight, and once a week for the next month. (Spend a few hours teaching Emily how to absorb power from life around her. This would not affect her classes)
Teacher: She is eager, we should teach her something simple to whet her appetite. The success will make her hungry for more. Besides, she has other classes.

B.) We’ll do this on the weekends for the next month. (Teach Emily how to sense maelstroms, after Sorcerer teaches us. This would lightly affect her classes)
Sorcerer: We should teach her something interesting, something difficult that she can use immediately, but first, we need to take time for you to understand it. She could use this to find other Sorcerer’s who are hiding.

C.) We could teach you wild magics at night for the next month, to defend yourself. (Teach Emily Dark Arts she could use in combat with other mages.This would lightly affect her studies.)
Teacher: Everyone loves throwing their first bolt of lightning.

D.) Just skip a few classes during the week, when you can miss those classes we’ll teach you (Spend two or three days a week teaching Emily how to pull energy from the Ether.This will moderately affect her classes)
Intellect: Sorcerers are in danger here, and their most powerful skill is their connection to magic, the sooner we teach her to pull magic from the ether, the better. Even if it would be difficult.

E.) Contact your school, say you need more time for your leg to heal. Let’s go out to the woods for a few weeks, we’ll work on your connection with nature. (Teach Emily how to speak to animals, and how to meditate to control her maelstrom. This would heavily affect her classes)
Queen: We’ll get the most success once we get that limiter off of her, let’s teach her so she doesn’t need it. It should be easy, it only took us a few months to learn how to do it to sneak into ruins and what not.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Just A

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

A

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

C

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
D

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Oh no, we've got to fight our own ambition? We're going to goon this one up.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Oh no, we've got to fight our own ambition? We're going to goon this one up.

Voting we get constantly distracted by side quests and never ever stick to a plan.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Do...

Do we poop?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Do...

Do we poop?

I have not thought about that, I'm going to say yes but ALSO, that it's not going to come up in the CYOA lmao

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A bet tell her we can increase lessons or abilities more if she wants to cut into study time.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Poop in her shoes.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

A

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Picking a post: 1d7 4

“We can start as soon as you’re ready, we’ll take a few nights off each week.” Sarah said, “I’ll stay here and write, well I can’t write, but I’ll think up some lesson plans,” Emily nodded, then stopped.

“Well, if it’s alright with you…” Emily started tugging on her curls, and looked slightly off to the side. Her cheeks flushed, just a touch.

“Hmmm…?” Sarah said.

Empathy: Don’t do that you know what she’s going to ask you
Queen: Listen to Empathy, if she makes us a familiar, we may get in touch with our magic again. New powers are awakening already
Teacher: Let her say her piece, it will build confidence.

“I would have died if you weren’t there in class with me, and you need to learn more about the world, so maybe you could… Come to class with me some more?”

Empathy: Say yes
Queen: You should definitely say yes.
Guilt: That’s right get her wrapped around your finger, so you can ruin her life like so many others. When will your avarice cease? How many will be ground into cement to pave your way to power?
Queen: Hush up you
Guilt: I will not, maybe you should examine yourself for once.
Queen: I have examined myself, and I have found no flaws. It’s rare for such a perfect specimen to exist.
Empathy: Bickering will get us nowhere, we need to work together
Teacher: We should maintain a professional distance, we’re a mentor not a friend.
Intellect: The clashing of ideas will allow us to make the most informed decision.
Queen: There will be no clashing, Guilt is, and has always been, a useless prat that holds us back.
Guilt: I will not let you do to me what you’ve done to Empathy. I will not be ignored.
Logic: Guilt is important to keep us on a moral path, by feeling bad we can steer ourselves away fr-
Queen: I do not care what “use” Guilt is. They have never actually done anything useful. 500 years in the woods, and what did we get for it?
Sorcerer: The death of a corrupt nation, long overdue.
Queen: I do not consider that useful.

Sarah hissed loudly, “Shut up, ShutUP SHUTUP.” She put her paws on her head. Emily looked shocked, she gasped and put her hand to her mouth.

“Are you ok?” She asked, she walked over and gently scritched Sarah behind the ear.

Felinity: We’re upsetting her, we should mark her shoes to show that we accept her.
Logic: Humanoids are not cats, and there is a barrier between the two languages
Intellect: Do not mark anything in the house, especially things she puts on her body.
Felinity: poop in the shoes.

“I… Have an illness, my mind is fractured, and the different pieces can be… Overwhelming.” She breathed heavy.

“Have you tried practicing mindfulness? I learned it in one of my classes.” Emily stopped petting Sarah, and rummaged through her book case, until she found a leather bound journal.

Teacher: Let her teach you something, it’ll deepen the bond between you two.

“Go ahead and get comfortable,” Emily said, sitting in the chair at her table, Sarah jumped up on her lap. “Begin by taking a deep breath and hold it, 1… 2… 3… 4… 5… Now exhale.”

Queen: This is useless
Logic: This is time wasted you could use t-

Emily spent the next few minutes running Sarah through a series of exercises, controlled breathing. Once Sarah’s breathing became more regular, she continued. “Now focus on the sensations at the top of your head. Just notice how the very top of your head feels.” She gently scratched her head, “When you breathe in, imagine that you are being filled with calmness, and when you breathe out, imagine your body feels heavy and deeply relaxed.”

Queen: Instead imagine what we could be doing with this time
Teacher: Like a lesson plan
Logic: Or reading a good book.

Memory: A warm bath, a lit candle, the smell of watermelon juice mixed with sparkling wine.
Guilt: Quelling your feelings will not let you forget what you have done.

Emily went through the whole body, making sarah aware of the sensations around her. She realized how intune her senses were. She heard the trees, and the mice scrabbling in the garden, and Emily’s breathing. She focussed, and she heard their hearts beat, and the beating heart of something in the wall. She could smell the food being cooked in the house next door, and she smiled.

Emily gently called to Grim who made them both a meal, and Sarah practiced breathing and trying to keep calm, while Emily worked on an essay about human architecture, and the need for transportation in a world without magic.

“Sarah, you knew what that thing was before anyone else, how?” Emily asked while she wrote.

“I’ve seen it before, in the Deadlands north of here.” Sarah said.

“No-one has been to the Deadlands and survived, We’ve built a wall around the entire area, and it’s under lock and key.” Emily said shocked, “We found out there’s some… Energy that we can’t detect, it makes you incredibly sick. Not to mention the demons, and creatures of the swamp that feed on it.”

“There was a human artifact that I had grabbed. A suit with coils all over it, it emitted a small barrier that kept the poison out. And you as a summoner know that demons can easily be dealt with.” Sarah said.

“I’m writing about human architecture, maybe you can help. Why do you think humans had filled their walls with plastic and glass?” Sarah asked.

“Insulation, humans don’t have magic, so they can’t keep their house warm with a simple spell, they had to fill the walls with something that would keep heat in during the winter, and stop it from getting too hot in the summer. In the Deadlands, you could find some old Human buildings, some of the materials they used to build things never decayed, fiberglass is found anywhere that humans lived, meaning that it was in every building. Something universal like that had to be for comfort, or survival”

Emily wrote down what Sarah said as quickly as she could.

Empathy: Don’t forget she asked you to go to school with her

“I will go to class with you, if you want me too by the way. I have nothing else to do with my time.” Sarah said lazily.

For the rest of the night, Sarah helped Emily with her homework, and Emily repaid her in food and comfort.

For the next few days, Emily went to school with Sarah in her bag. Sarah helped her in her human studies class. And learned more about the world during Emily’s classes.

Technology had surpassed greatly what Sarah knew. With the combination of human technologies, and magic, they had found huge leaps in the quality of living for people. There were magic transports that allowed people to move around cheaply, not needing to pay their weight in gold. Human Anthropology and Archaeology was incredibly important, as every new item discovered increased the learning and understanding people had about the world.

The continent was connected in ways that were previously unthinkable, flying airships powered by a combination of Human technology and flight magic allowed people to cross the country in a manner of hours, instead of days. Some people even lived in different cities and town and took the transportation into the main cities.

The cities were now huge, much larger than Sarah could have imagined possible. In just this one city alone, there were almost a million people.

There were no Kings and Queens, but a group of elected representatives that created laws based on voting. There were hundreds of small groups that fought with each other for power, and the largest group got to pick the leader. The complicated government confused Sarah.

The entire continent had united, and there were talks about trying to find new continents by increasing the capacity of ships, both flying and nautical to be able to travel much further than ever before. Ships of steel, designs stolen from artifacts found under the sea, would soon have a propulsion system that would allow them to travel for months.

Airships avoided the Dead Lands, while it has been mapped out, it was impossible to travel on foot.

One night, Emily had skipped a class, her teachers didn’t say anything, but the college never really cared about attendance.She was excited, it was the first day she would learn Wild Magic, and the idea made her excited and nervous. Sarah could see it written on her face What if I get in trouble, what if I fail, what if… Sarah led Emily into the forest, and stopped her when the Cat had heard the scratching of mice in the distance.

“Sorcerous magic is different from the applied arithmetic, formulas, and somatic components of spells cast by the 3 schools” Sarah said confidently.

“There’s 7 schools now, actually.” Emily corrected her.

Queen: That’s not the point!
Teacher: Admonishing her now would just interrupt the lesson.

Sarah bit her tongue, though annoyance darkened her countenance for just a second, and Emily fell quiet.

“Right, still, we are tapped into the ebb and flow of magic. Everything on this planet has an aura. This includes everything but the purest metals that Humans used. They found a way to remove the earth from it, though you can still sense the aura of the earth in the lower quality steel. If you allow yourself, you can sense those auras, and tap into the base magic that swirls around them. Now,” Sarah leaped into the grass on a mouse, and quickly bit down on its neck, snapping it instantly. “You are a very skilled necromancer, and a summoner, but this is because you use your own magic, as a sorcerer, we can save up our own magic, and use the strands surrounding the environment instead. The use of this, is that it’s undetectable, and allows us to supplement our magic for much larger spells. Now I want you to try and reach out and try and tap into that tree.” Sarah pointed with her head, flicking it towards a fairly small sapling that was on the edge of the forest, “and use it to raise this mouse.”

“How?” Emily asked, “I don’t understand how am I supposed to do that.”

“Place your hand on the tree.” Sarah said calmly, “I want you to try and feel the energy around it, and grab it. You won’t be able to see it, but there will be a faint humming that you hear in your bones, and it’ll feel like the smoothest silk under your fingers.”

Emily walked up to the tree, and put her hand on it.

“Focus not on the tree, but just outside of it, around it. Feel the coalescence of magic”

Emily stood there, her hand on the tree for hours. She felt nothing, besides incredibly silly. She looked at Sarah for more guidance, but Sarah was silent, when Emily had a question, the only answer she received was to keep her hand on the tree, and to focus. Despondent, she pouted, “I don’t feel anything.”

Sarah tried her best to smile, “Don’t worry, it took me almost 3 months to do this, and that was with the best tutor the kingdom could afford.”

And so, they lived like this for a month. Emily would skip a rotating set of classes, spreading our her absences trying not to miss too much of anything. The mouse corpse slowly decayed, until there was nothing but a blood soaked pile of bones. She would put her hand on the tree, or she would gently float it just barely on the outside of the tree, and feel nothing. She got increasingly frustrated. Sarah was no help at all, anytime she felt like giving up, she would just tell her to “feel the tree” Well she was feeling the tree, she felt every groove of it, she felt the sticky sap that made her just want to wash her hands, the ants that would crawl over her that made her skin crawl. The crunchy leaves, and smell of decaying mouse. She felt all of that, but she never felt the gossamer strands of magic that Sarah described.

After nearly a month of touching the tree, she had had enough. “I don’t want to do this anymore, I want to try something else.”

Sarah was calm, “There is nothing else, this is the first thing you must learn to do the rest.”

Teacher: A lie, but an important one for the lesson.

“Feel the tree.”

“I am,” Emily said through gritted teeth.

“No you are not, you are touching the tree, but you are not feeling it. You’re not connected with it.”

“I AM connected with it.” She repeated.

“If you were connected with it you would feel it.”

Emily stamped her foot and balled up her fist, “I AM CON- Wait.” She looked down at her hand, there was nothing there, but she felt it something soft and smooth. Powerful and silky, it flowed over her hand like smoke “I think I did it! But how?”

“You used your emotions, that is key to magic, is feeling something, anything. The easiest way is frustration and anger, because it causes us to lash out. Magic has a way of wanting to fill in. Nature abhors a vacuum.” Sarah said, though Emily ignored what seemed to be a nonsequitur

“So what do I do now?” Emily said, holding her fist up.

“Think of what you want to do, and throw it at the mouse. Hard”

Emily reached back and threw the strand as hard as she could, the mouse bones wiggled, and the wind lashed around it blowing leaves away. Nothing happened.

Concentrate, a true sorcerer does not coax magic with algorithms and hand gestures, we force it into a spear and demand it bends to us.”

Sarah started practicing every night, she put her books aside, she barely managed to pass her classes. She had done well enough earlier in the semester to scrape by with a few missed assignments. Practicing sorcery was all consuming, it was all she could think about.

When Emily had finally managed to raise the mouse, she was ecstatic, the skeleton danced in jubilation.

Sarah smiled, and gave her the first bit of praise since they had met, “That was excellent, I knew you could do it.”

Emily smiled back, “I have a month off of school now that finals are over, what should we do?”

Sorcerer: Something is coming, soon her life will change forever. Choose carefully.

A.) We’ll work on something more difficult, I can see the maelstrom of magic, the ether itself, we’ll work on that, though it will be much harder then what you just learned.
Teacher: She is progressing even faster then we were, and with a limiter even. We could teach her this.
Sorcerer: Being able to see magic will allow her to pick and pull the strands of Fate itself. And you’d learn it together.

B.) We might not have free time like this again, let’s learn how to control our own aura, and connect ourselves to other creatures. Thought transference was how I kept my court in line, and once you can pull thoughts, you can also push them.
Intellect: This is easier than what she had just attempted, and she may be able to pick it up faster.

C.) Now that we won’t be using your own energy, we can work on actual spell casting. Let’s learn how to throw a chaos bolt.
Teacher: Everyone loves casting their first offensive spell, it’s empowering and necessary in a world where her kind is hunted.

D.) Now that you know how to pull energy from entities maelstroms, let’s do something more… Direct.
Teacher: Teaching her to leech off life force can be useful, but drawing her towards the dark arts could be a corrupting influence. We should be careful. Though if she can do this, she’ll be able to temper her own aura, allowing her to hide better.

1.) Warn Sarah that something is coming, you don’t know what but something.
Queen: If we tell her the truth, she may decide to focus more closely to what we’re teaching her.
Guilt: This is our fault, we owe it to her to fess up.

2.) Keep silent and let her enjoy her next semester, Sorcerer has been wrong before
Intellect: Very rarely
Teacher: She needs to focus on her studies.
Empathy: If we don’t know what will happen, we will be worrying her for nothing.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

A

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

C 1

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

B

Magic that can affect thoughts seems useful. And we can tell her the truth when we actually have solid information worth telling, no use upsetting her this early.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
D
Poop in her shoes.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

C, 2, Poop in her shoes with love

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
A

I feel bad, fearing that we're going to overpower this poor girl.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Cannon_Fodder posted:

A

I feel bad, fearing that we're going to overpower this poor girl.

Relax, if she can't handle a little kitty poop she's no use to us.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Every time I roll, I hope in my heart of hearts that we do not select the poop in shoe option, because how to write that believably is incredibly difficult.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

It's fine just say raw felinity decided Emily was just the best and deserved the best in life, and the best in life obviously means kitty poo.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Boba Pearl posted:

Every time I roll, I hope in my heart of hearts that we do not select the poop in shoe option, because how to write that believably is incredibly difficult.

Well, now I have to vote for poop shoes until it happens.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Thread rule no pooping

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
If only I had known the terrors I would unleash on myself.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Toughy posted:

Thread rule no pooping

It's getting old, it's true.

D 2

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Picking a post: 1d7 3

“What’s that?” Sarah said, it was a chilly winter day, the kind that hurts when you breathe, and the snow covers everything, giant fluffy mounds of hardened ice that built up on the streets. There was a golem, it was round and made of steel. It was smooth and it had two arms that were busy using flames on the sidewalk, and then reaching into a container that contained salt, and spread it on the ground.

Felinity: She didn’t give us a 2nd helping of chicken last night. SHOW HER YOUR DISDAIN.
Intellect: She’s on a student stipend, she’s sharing as much as she can, even at our size we eat almost as much as another person.
Felinity: PUNISH HER.

“Those are enforcers,” Emily said, her face a grim slash as she talked about them, “They’re the first line of defence in keeping the city safe, and when there’s no crime around, they get used for public works projects.” She seemed to avoid looking at them, “The ministry uses them to replace a humanoid police presence. There’s some guy in an office a hundred miles away pressing buttons. It’s supposed to be safer for everyone.” She stepped into the grocery store, there was a golem at the front desk, this one was smaller than the first.

It looks like a metal grey trash can. Sarah thought to herself. Emily handed the golem her list, and it displayed a number for her to pay for groceries, then they quickly flew through the sky, nearly avoiding other piles of groceries before gently alighting themselves in her bag. Emily deposited the money for her groceries, and grabbed the change. She reached in and pulled out a pomegranate and gently cracked it open with magic, not a drop was spilled as she magicked arils individually into her mouth and read her book.

Sarah was still curious about the golems, and spoke up about it, “Why haven’t we seen these things before?”

Emily shrugged, “Why would we? There isn’t any construction around the college, and the trees never drop any leaves. The only reason we saw them today is because the snow was greater than the sidewalks could heat on their own. If there was more sun, then the streets would have thawed on their own.

Felinity: IGNORE HER UNTIL SHE GIVES US A TREAT.

“Thawed on their own?” Sarah asked, confused, “What do you mean?”

“I keep forgetting you know almost nothing about this stuff, they can gather radiant energy from the sun, and use it to power heaters in the sidewalk, then the water is held for bathrooms and plants and what not.” Emily continued, “When the sun is blocked out for too long, the heaters fail, and the golems come out to clear the sidewalks and salt them so no ice forms. It’s cheaper than using magic, the ministry tries to keep people out of the way as much as possible.”

She absent mindedly poked through her book, apparently Birds of Paradise was a series, Sarah had been reading over her shoulder when she could, getting small excerpts from the book, at best she could tell, it was about various bird beastmen in various states of romance, with complicated love triangles, bombastic relationships, and-

Intellect: It’s utter garbage
Queen: Useless, the idea that something as powerful as reading is used for something so frivolous is-
Sorcerer: Wonderful.
Queen: No I was going to say
Felinity: DO NOT IGNORE ME
Sorcerer: That it’s able to connect people in a way that was previously impossible, now everyone who reads this book of hers is connected, thinly. They have a shared experience, a shared recollection that speaks to them on a deeper level. You see the way she talks to
Queen: Please, we listen to enough of this prattling when she’s between classes.

Sarah took a deep breath, and calmed herself. She tried to remember the breathing exercises that Emily had taught her, and tried to be mindful in the moment. Listening to the whooshing of the rails, the shuffle of pages. Breathe in… Breathe out.

Ning?

Queen: STOP THIS, I HATE HOW YOU DO THIS EVERY TIME
Intellect: It’s not worth it, you can’t break her concentration
Queen: WE CAN CERTAINLY TRY
Felinity: MAKE HER PAY.
Empathy: I’m happy you’re finding help
Queen: I know what will get her attention.
Queen: When are you going to ask her to be made into a familiar
Sorcerer: Ooooh, yes… That might work

Sarah shook her head, I will not force it upon her, if she ask-

Queen: Bullshit, you’ve been setting her up for this moment, slinking in being useful
Sorcerer: *sorcerer lets out a sound that sounds like a cross between a moan and a wail* oh to feel magic again, to reconnect us back to the aether, even in some small way. Don’t you miss it?
Intellect: We would be able to help her more if we had access to even some small cantrips.

NING?

Shut up, shut up, “SHUT UP!”

“NING?!” Emily said, gently shaking the cat. They were already home, she hadn’t realized how long it took to shake out of the trance the shards had over her. How long had actually passed? They only said a few things, it should have taken mere seconds. Is it getting wo

“NING?!” Emily said louder, breaking Sarah out of her concentration.

“Oh... Right, I’m sorry things were… Louder than normal this time around.” Sarah shook her head, and smiled meekly, “What were you saying?”

“You’ve been near catatonic since we got on the train, you’ve just been sitting there with your eyes closed I was worried.” She said.

“Oh don’t worry about me, I’m…”

Intellect: Don’t say Immortal, we’re going to angle that for familiarship.

“I’m fine.” Sarah smiled.

“Right… Grimm has just about put away the last of groceries, so we have a few hours before dinner to practice. Weren’t we starting with Energy Projection today?” Emily said, there was a glint in her eye, and she bit her lip. She could barely contain her excitement.

Memory: Purple Skin, Red Hair, same smile. Smell of Vanilla steeped in an oak cask.
Teacher: They all get so excited for this.

“I don’t know why you’re so excited, I’m sure your lessons have already covered projection.” Sarah said.

No, Of course not” Emily said, with a hand to her mouth, “That’s wild magic, they don’t teach just anyone that.”

Sarah thought for a moment, “Actually, I don’t know about this, is there any way for the city to see what we’re doing?”

“No, you hear about gangs in the city doing wild magic all the time, if they’d have a way to track it, well there’d be no crime.” Emily was practically bouncing, “There’s nothing stopping us from this.”

Sarah clicked her tongue against her teeth, she liked doing that, it reminded her of being human, and it’s one of the few sounds she could make without magic, “I don’t know, maybe we should wait another day, it’s getting dark.” Her voice was light and mocking, “Are you sure you don’t want to get some rest first?”

Emily balked, “We only have so much time, and you PROMISED we’d do it today.”

Sarah laughed, “Ok, ok. I guess I did prom-ACK” Emily had rushed forward and picked the cat up by the scruff of her neck and ran out into the forest, into their little spot where she had practiced. The tree she was using for energy looked grey, and Sarah realized the mistake she had made, and had the perfect thought for a lesson.”

“So before we create something explosive, first we have to understand how we can shape and move the aether. Now you’ve been able to take much from this tree, you’ve nearly killed it, and we have the dozens of mouse skeletons to prove it. So first, feel for the strand of the tree.”

Emily nodded, she focussed up her energy, and reached outwards. She felt for the anger, the frustration, the thought that this was all a joke on her, that she was never special, that her mother was taken away for nothing. She grabbed the thread. “I have it.” She shouted out, her face contorted into concentration.

“Ok now, gently slip that strand INTO yourself,” Sarah said.

“What?” Emily said confused, looking down at the invisible strand in her hand.

“Push it into your wrist, or chest, step on it, the how is not important, you just need to touch your aether with its’.”

Emily grabbed it and looked at her hand, she grabbed the strand with her other hand,

She’s not going too…
Intellect: How visceral
Queen: Too literal
Sorcerer: That is going to taste delicious.

She took a giant bite, and there was a bright flash, smoke, for a split second her entire body was see through, Sarah could see every cell in her body, her bones, her organs, like she was a bright meat puppet. The tree was immediately invigorated, it bloomed then dropped all of it’s leaves, then grew new leaves, blossomed, died and grew new leaves again.

Sorcerer: She has so much energy.
Intellect: You can’t let her do that, it’s not safe!
Teacher: It’s energy projection, it’s not meant to be safe
Intellect: She has just started!
Teacher: It’s educational
Intellect: What if she runs out of energy?!
Teacher: Then it will be a valuable lesson.

Sarah ran over, and tackled her with her tiny body, but she couldn’t stop her. She couldn’t grab the aether strand. She didn’t know what to do, finally she groaned inwardly at what she was going to do. She bit Emily’s leg, hard. The tree bloomed even faster, the leaves around it crumbled to dust as more and more fell from the tree, and the tree itself grew taller and taller. Emily finally grabbed a hold of herself and threw the strand away from herself. Sarah was panting, and they both fell backwards.

“Please…” Sarah panted, “Be more careful about what you put in your mouth. You literal child.”

Emily coughed, and got on her hands and knees, then she vomited, gagged, vomited again, and then started to dry heave. “Why…” She panted and heaved, “Why did that taste so good?”

Memory: Our first time. The angry bullywug. The delicious taste of… Everything. Numb lips, bitter taste like crushed peppercorns, but also sweetness. The thrashing from the old frog.

Memory: “Because, it is the ambrosia of the gods.”

“Because, it is the…” No that’s stupid. Sarah sighed “No-one knows, it just does. That was incredibly stupid”

“You told me to put it inside me.” Emily said, finally standing, uneasy on her feet.

“I do not remember telling you to Bite it. Your muscles tense, and you can’t unclench your jaw. So you end up spilling out all of your magic. If you were normal, you’d be unable to cast any spells tonight, or in fact for the next week.”

“I feel awful.” Emily said, putting her hand to her head, “Just… Empty… No feelings, no emotions, just dead inside. I want… I want to lie down.”

“The lesson is not done.” Sarah said, and Emily stopped, “This is perfect, we can combine two lessons into one.”

Picking a post: 1d8 1

“Go grab a target of some kind from your cottage, be quick now.” Sarah said.

Emily just wanted to rest, and every step was aching. Her mind was dull and it felt like she was in a fog. She could barely move, but she was, if nothing else, a studious person, and was not going to give up on a lesson so soon. She ordered Grimm to get her a mirror, she did not feel like searching for it, and quickly returned to the clearing, her slow shuffling steps pulling her forward.

While Emily was gone, Sarah looked at the tree.

“How do I do this? One more time, I’ve almost got it.”

Sorcerer: Focus, not with your eyes. Close them.

Sarah closed her eyes, and reached out for the tree. She couldn’t feel it, she hadn’t been able to in nearly 500 years, yet she still remembered the feel of it, the smooth silkyness no pillow or gown could replace.

Sorcerer: Now, think of something you want, something important to you.

Sarah kept her eyes closed, what’s important to me now?

Queen: Power
Intellect: Knowledge
Logic: Math
Felinity: Chicken
Memory: She’s dead now.
Guilt: Nothing… And don’t lie to yourself about it.
Teacher: A Legacy
Empathy: Making sure she doesn’t end up like us.
Sorcerer: A Destiny

Sarah focussed with all her might, and tried to summon up the effort to see the trees aura. She couldn’t, Sarah cursed under her breath. Emily came back with some pieces of paper she had balled up. She placed them on the ground. Sarah was barely paying attention, instead she was staring intently at the tree.

“Ok, you’ve felt what it’s like to have magic flow from you to another thing, now I want you to try and summon that feeling, but focussed on the paper.” Sarah said, though she was distracted as she stared at the tree.

Sorcerer: What’s important to you? Honestly.

Sarah closed her eyes, and she saw a cottage, away from the kingdom. She saw children running around, dead by hundreds of years now. Her partner, her life all gone. What was important to her now? “UUUUUUGGGH” Sarah said loudly.

Emily looked over at her, “What? Did I do it wrong?” There was a smoldering bit of grass, and the piece of paper had turned to dust. “Wait, did you alread- No that’s wonderful. I’m tryin- Ugh.” Sarah sat down. “I am trying to do magic.”

“You said that’s impossible,” Emily said back to her.

“I know what I said. I’ve done it once before.” Sarah said impetuously.

Teacher: Maybe she can help.

“I’m trying to see the Aether.” Sarash whispered

“You sai-”

“I KNOW WHAT I SAID.” Sarah hissed

Felinity: PUNISH. HER. FOR CHIKKEN CRIMES.

“So you can see the aether?” Emily asked.

“Maybe.”

“Why don’t we try together.” Emily didn’t ask, she sat down next to the cat, and moved her into her lap. She gently scritched her behind the neck.

“Ok, so… What you need to do is, as far as I can tell. Think about what is most important to you, and then stare at the tree with your eyes closed, and when you open them the aura will appear.” Sarah said. Emily stared at the tree, and she closed her eyes.

They sat like that in the forest, meditating, staring at a tree that was teeming with life in the middle of Winter. “I threw a fireball by the way.” Emily said quietly to Sarah.

“I saw,” Sarah lied. “That’s really impressive, especially since you didn’t have any energy left, it takes most students a week to do that, and that’s using their own energy. You have a great propensity for magic, once we get that limiter off of you, nothing will be able to stop you.”

“Emily, I’m not magic anymore, I don’t know if we can do this, but I need to tell you something.” Sarah groaned, she had spent nearly a week hiding this, but she couldn’t any longer, she had to say something. “It’s why I wanted to teach you how to project energy. Something is coming, something bad. I don’t know if it’s dangerous, but it’s coming for you, or me, or us. I don’t know.”

Emily shrugged, “Ok… That’s fine I guess.”

Sarah could tell she was still in a haze, without any magic, she had no emotions. When the truth settled in she might have something to say about it later, still. “That’s fine?” Sarah asked.

“It’s been how long since we’ve met?” Emily said, seemingly out of nowhere. “5 or 6 weeks?”

“Sounds about right,” Sarah said.

“Before then, I was scared, I felt like I couldn’t be me. I was doing everything to fit in. Then you showed up, and you told me it was normal to just be… Me. Then the training started, and it’s early, but I feel more… I feel more myself than I had ever been. I kept that part of me deep down, separated from who I pretended to be. When I tapped into the Aether, last week, learning wild magic, I felt more in touch with my Mother, with nature, and I knew it was right, and I’d never turn back now that we’ve gone down that path.”

Guilty: Now tell her we’re just using her, you disgusting creep.

“I wouldn’t know what that’s like, when I was human, sorcerers were lauded, respected in the community, respected everywhere. Our power was ours to use as we saw fit, nothing could contain us, until they did I guess…”

“Sarah?” Emily said, looking at the tree.

“What?”

“I can see it.”

Sarah cursed inwardly, “Of course you can. What are you thinking of?”

“A world with me on top of it.”

Sarah almost laughed, she couldn’t stop thinking how much of herself she saw in Emily. She was powerful, smart, and strong. Emily reminded Sarah of her daughter, her oldest. She wondered what happened to them, then stopped.

Guilt: You know what happens in regime changes. You know what happened to them.

“Sarah,” Emily looked at Sarah, “You’re so dark… Like a giant void in a swirling of colors. I can’t see… I can’t see you really, I can just see the absence you leave behind.”

Sarah sighed, “I was hoping you’d say otherwise, but yes I suspected that was the case. If you want, can we come back tomorrow and see if we can… If I can see the aether.”

Teacher: It only took her 6 weeks to surpass you.
Guilt: How are you going to teach her, when she is so much better than you.
Queen: Familiars should be next
Intellect: I agree, before we get too emotionally attached we should get rejection out of the way
Guilt: It’s too late for that, she’s snagged in our web, and now we’re going to drag her as deep down as we can, until she’s dead or worse.

Sarah and Emily tried to teach Sarah to see the Aether for nearly the rest of the month. They would sit in the clearing, and as the tree slowly lost the power, and Emily slowly regained hers, they talked about Emily. She talked of her father, who was an engineer working on human artifacts, how he’d blend magic with machinery when he could. She talked of her mother before they took her away, wild and beautiful, with long red hair that bounced in curls, and her cookies. They talked about books Emily liked to read. Different boys and girls in her class which she liked or disliked to varying degrees. This sparked something in Sarah, and she started to think about her own. Not her children, but her partner, who she was. She wanted to tell Emily about her, about her own children. About the sweeter things in her life before all of this, how the creatures of the deadlands had taken her in. How the ‘Demons’ of the swamp were sweet and gentle. She thought of all the stories she couldn’t tell her.

It floated on the forefront of her mind, she had so many stories to tell, and she’d never be able to tell them. That’s what she really wanted, to be able to share her experiences, and pass them on someday, and soon that thought became all consuming.

And then she saw it. The swirl of energy around Emily, the tree that had been slowly leeching it’s way back into equilibrium. She looked at her paws and saw the empty blackness, she nearly cried when she told Emily, and Emily picked her up and swung her around excitedly.

Queen: It’s time.
Teacher: Let’s do it.
Intellect: She’s so happy, ask her now.
Sorcerer: She didn’t balk when we told her danger was coming, she’s worthy of us.
Guilt: Are we worthy of her?
Empathy: Just ask her.

A.) Tell Sarah it’s time to choose a familiar, and suggest nothing
B.) Tell Sarah it’s time to choose a familiar, and suggest yourself
C.) Tell Sarah it’s time to choose a familiar, and suggest something besides yourself
D.) Do not tell Sarah it’s time to choose a familiar, but if she brings it up, suggest yourself
E.) Do not tell Sarah it’s time to choose a familiar, but if she brings it up, suggest something besides yourself
F.) Do not tell Sarah it's time to choose a familiar, but if she brings it up, suggest nothing

Sorcerer: Her life will now change forever, the clock has struck.

If you want pooped shoes, then say it, if your post is picked those shoes will be pooped. But NEVER AGAIN (unless it's funny)

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jun 6, 2021

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
F

Attempt to cook chikken when Emily isn't around. If we can do that we don't need her.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

A

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
A. Unless she choses Grimm, we're basically it.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

B

bring up that we want to poop those shoes.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

C

(We seem to be cursed, but also immortal. Ameliorating the curse probably requires ignoring queen or sorcerer since they’re the most likely cause, and ameliorating our guilt. Reintegrating empathy also sounds grand. Being a sociopath (ie listening to felicity) sounds terrible. )

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

So what do either of us gain from Sarah being Emily's familiar?