Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

RanKizama posted:

Don't. From what I'm gathering, San Diego is the Stheno of this game and even the AL staff acknowledge her as a joke character. Her skills are pretty bad and she really only functions as anti-air support.

San Diego is all about AA and not much else which normally is a pretty big drawback but on the other hand the PvP meta right now is anecdotally very heavy on carriers in my experience which gives her a pretty decent niche in that respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
DRIVE BY RANDOM TITLING! YOU MAY BE NEXT!
Yeah I've been going triple carriers in my back line ok all of my squads, but a big part of that has been a lack of good battleship/cruiser drops.

Are there any goon guilds?

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
I've applied to about a half dozen public guilds and nothing. Don't know what's up there.

Never thought I'd be digging an anime titty gacha battleship simulator, but here I am. Also, I live about a half mile from the real USS Hornet, and it doesn't have tits nearly this big.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Books On Tape posted:

Also, I live about a half mile from the real USS Hornet, and it doesn't have tits nearly this big.
2D wins again

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the hornet afloat as a museum ship today is actually uss kearsarge, which was renamed after the hornet depicted in the game sunk at guadalcanal

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Hornet's defeat message even jokes about that. It's something along the lines of "will there be another me?!

Books On Tape posted:

I've applied to about a half dozen public guilds and nothing. Don't know what's up there.

Good news is guilds have basically no function beyond an in game chat room.

Also space in guild is very limited. Starts at a 20 member cap and gains 2 extra slots per guild level up.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

are the super rare ships you can buy from the pvp shop worth it?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
The title and OP joke about Warships, but Azure Lane literally had a collab with them.

DrManiac posted:

are the super rare ships you can buy from the pvp shop worth it?

Yes. Eldridge's barrage covers nearly the whole screen, and Dakota has a frontline damage-split skill (she takes a portion of the frontline's damage, then heals herself) and a skill that can double the damage of her main cannons.

e: Forgot that Eldridge also has a skill to make the frontline evade every attack for 10 seconds, 15% chance when she takes damage.

Schubalts fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 22, 2018

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to lose so much money whaling for Nep if they bring back the collaboration.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Schubalts posted:

The title and OP joke about Warships, but Azure Lane literally had a collab with them.

Why do you think I used that title. :v:

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
How can you tell what class a ship is? Where is this info. I hear people refer to a ship as "Atlanta" class?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Books On Tape posted:

How can you tell what class a ship is? Where is this info. I hear people refer to a ship as "Atlanta" class?

The historical class usually doesn't matter, though a few ships have skills that give bonuses to different classes (EG: Fletcher gives a bonus to other Fletcher class destroyers).

A character typically mentions their class in their info blurb, which you can view in the Archives section of the Collection area.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I've gotten a ton of mileage so far out of Z23, Helena and Shropshire for my vanguard, with Long Island, Yorktown and Oklahoma backing them up. But hot drat if Foxhound's Reload Command isn't great for my second fleet with Fletcher and Charles Asuburne

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
I finally dropped below 1000 oil after running nonstop for pretty much two days. lol

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
also dont underestimate low-rarity ships, they're easier to limit break, inherently more oil-efficient, and SR ships are wild overkill for all the content currently in the game except pvp. you're going to be drowning in leander/rangers/kagerous and all three of them pack great value into like 4 oil a deploy

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://azurlane.koumakan.jp/Mutsuki

How do I report a war crime?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
She calls her candy Ame-san. Now that's cute

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Is prinz eugen worth investing in? she seems defensive but I already have a Belfast.

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Prinz is probably the toughest front line ship in the game; she has more durability than some battleships. However, she pays for it with not much in the way of offensive capabilities.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Prinz is ok, but way too oil hungry for what she brings. Her tankiness can be counterproductive as enemies can end up doing less damage just by dying faster.

Portland and eventually Mogami (Visitors Dyed in Red event) will get refits that make them vastly superior.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
I wish Portland wasn't so goddamn annoying

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Largepotato posted:

Prinz is ok, but way too oil hungry for what she brings. Her tankiness can be counterproductive as enemies can end up doing less damage just by dying faster.

Portland and eventually Mogami (Visitors Dyed in Red event) will get refits that make them vastly superior.

Mogami is just plain ridiculous. Doesn't she get main gun doubletap AND can fit torpedoes?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
torps are a liability in autobattle

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Not if you have magtorps.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
I'm addicted to Cruisers. Is there any reason to swap to Destroyers?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

AGGGGH BEES posted:

Mogami is just plain ridiculous. Doesn't she get main gun doubletap AND can fit torpedoes?

You might be thinking of Takao. She has double gun damage and chain torpedo.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I tried this on the chinese server earlier this year but gave up due to total confusion.

At least I can read this version and so far doing ok again. I have a nice lineup built, the gacha was good to me (this version seems to be way way better than the chinese. The chinese rates were ludicrously low).

If you haven't noticed, try the Shropshire. She's only a blue border but has an insane damage output - beats Takao and sometimes even Enterprise to MVP. I think she also gets a retrofit too at some point though I'm not quite clear on how that works yet.

I finally got Belfast today (her smokescreen is great and she's good damage) but she'll be a while leveling to catch up to fleet 1.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I've been playing this for the past week since NA launch, it's quite fun so far. The gatcha blessed me and gave me Hood, Queen Liz, Lusty, Belfast, Eddenborough and Ajax who I am using in my main fleet. I also got Takao, Prinz, Warspite and Sandy, though Sandy is just sitting in the docks. Also got Akagi on my first run of 3-4 and Kaga came a couple days later after some pretty casual farming.

Hood is an absolute monster, once you level it up a bit her special attack goes off all the time and just obliterates entire waves of enemies, plus the massive reload buff makes all the back line attacks cooldown faster which is amazing.

Ratzap posted:

I tried this on the chinese server earlier this year but gave up due to total confusion.

At least I can read this version and so far doing ok again. I have a nice lineup built, the gacha was good to me (this version seems to be way way better than the chinese. The chinese rates were ludicrously low).

If you haven't noticed, try the Shropshire. She's only a blue border but has an insane damage output - beats Takao and sometimes even Enterprise to MVP. I think she also gets a retrofit too at some point though I'm not quite clear on how that works yet.

I finally got Belfast today (her smokescreen is great and she's good damage) but she'll be a while leveling to catch up to fleet 1.

Shropshire does not get a remodel as far as I know, Suffolk, one of her sister ships does and is one of the best heavy cruisers in the game once she gets it. And yeah, Belfast's skills are really good, the smokescreen really helps lower incoming damage. Unfortunately I have had trouble finding HE guns for her so she is stuck with AP until I do.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Which 3 should I currently be using for my backline out of these options? Just made it to chapter 3 and got my poo poo pushed in.

Lexington, Yorktown, Long Island, Saratoga, Warspite, Shouhou.

Currently using Yorktown, Saratoga, Warspite.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
My backlines for world 3 were Hood/Yorktown/Saratoga and Renown/Shouhou/Long Island.

You might need a better vanguard or more likely more levels. Remember level difference brings a boost/penalty, so if you're underleveled it's gonna hurt.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Books On Tape posted:

Which 3 should I currently be using for my backline out of these options? Just made it to chapter 3 and got my poo poo pushed in.

Lexington, Yorktown, Long Island, Saratoga, Warspite, Shouhou.

Currently using Yorktown, Saratoga, Warspite.

Your current line up looks like the best option, what level are your ships? You might need to go back and grind a bit before moving on to chapter 3. It might be a good idea to go back and grind anyway, there are some good ships you can get as drops in chapter 2, the starting destroyers all drop on any map there and they are all very good, London drops in 2-1 and is a good CA. Arizona and Pennsylvania drop in 2-2 and both are very good BBs, especially Arizona with her healing power. There are also good equipment and blueprints to get there.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Shohou and Unicorn are really good with their heal though Unicorn is a little better since she boosts vanguard reload.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Your current line up looks like the best option, what level are your ships? You might need to go back and grind a bit before moving on to chapter 3. It might be a good idea to go back and grind anyway, there are some good ships you can get as drops in chapter 2, the starting destroyers all drop on any map there and they are all very good, London drops in 2-1 and is a good CA. Arizona and Pennsylvania drop in 2-2 and both are very good BBs, especially Arizona with her healing power. There are also good equipment and blueprints to get there.

Thanks, I'm just below level 30 on all my ships. My vanguard has been Indianapolis, Javelin, and Portland. I have Pennsylvania but she's not on any of the recommended ship lists I've been using so I've ignored her. I also have Shropshire who has been talked about here. I'll try grinding a bit for Arizona.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I was lucky enough to pick up Belfast today, but she's got a lot of catching up to do.

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer
Despite being way too embarrassed to be seen playing this, the game is surprisingly fun. I have no idea what I am doing though, when it comes to ships and gear.

Are there any good guides? I saw one listed earlier but it was dumped on right away as being junk.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
Just pick some boats you like and use them. You don't need god-tier ships early on, and later on you'll have plenty because this game is pretty generous and it doesn't take much to level them up to usability.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Boksi posted:

Just pick some boats you like and use them. You don't need god-tier ships early on, and later on you'll have plenty because this game is pretty generous and it doesn't take much to level them up to usability.
Yup, this. Fleet composition really does not matter until chapter 10+ (which is months and months away from the EN server) or tryharding PvP if your brain is broken. PvP is best viewed as a source of free exp, t4 equipment boxes, and bulins.

That said, I would advise against spreading yourself too thin trying to level every boat. Focus on two fleets and meeting hard mode composition requirements so you will be ready to steamroll events. Most real events involve farming for event currency or drops from the hard mode of the last event stage, and it is best to have high level boats ready for that.

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

AGGGGH BEES posted:

Kyte posted:

You might be thinking of Takao. She has double gun damage and chain torpedo.

No, they were correct: Takao has a skill that sometimes doubles her main gun damage, but she only fires one salvo.

Mogami gains the "Main gun mount +1" ability (the term in the English version might be different) from her retrofit. That's something that's usually only possible for cruisers with no torpedoes, who gain the ability from their second uncap (whereas torp cruisers gain pre-load, or the ability to stock up a second salvo). Main gun mount+1 makes a boat shoot twice each time her main gun reloads.

Finally there's a skill (carried by Shropshire and Suffolk) that give them a 25% chance to fire their main gun twice. It can't chain proc, so two shots are all you get.

The collection reward Wichita has both main gun mount+1 and the double strike skill, meaning she can occasionally shoot thrice with a single reload.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Cleveland is good if for no other reason than her facial expressions and her "deal with it" sunglasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I got lucky with the shipyard and I'm currently using

Enterprise, Illustrious, Unicorn : Shropshire, Takao, Javlin

They're all over 50 now and at least 4*, they get the best gear and auto roflstomp chapter 4 (I opened that far for the 3rd fleet).
Second fleet is the leveling one. If I pull a good ship I want to get to the main fleet, she goes in here. The composition changes constantly but with 1 L40 or so in front and back you can powerlevel new ships through chapter 2 or 3 easily.

I unlocked the 3rd fleet late last night to take over the job of the 2nd and let me build a proper 2nd fleet.

Try and get all the daily missions done every day, the extra items are very handy. And keep stuffing your low level ships into commissions. It gets them leveled very slowly but more importantly you get decor tokens from it. They're not doing anything else and once you have a few spare higher level ships to meet the requirements, the commissions are essentially free.

Finagle posted:

Despite being way too embarrassed to be seen playing this, the game is surprisingly fun. I have no idea what I am doing though, when it comes to ships and gear.

This. Some of the "Onii-chan" crap makes my skin crawl but it's a fun game. It just remains to be seen if they cut down the long term grindyness from the chinese version.