Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

I guess the answer to that question is "Ronnie".

Hiroko Nakayama
Hot 2, Cold -1, Volatile 1, Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | Exp 4/5 | Conditions: Left Out

"Houses aren't very safe when you live far down as I do."

I give a slight smirk to Ronnie, then a nod to Eva to show that I will be alright. Frankly, I'm more worried about her than she should be of me. But I can leave her alone for a few minutes, right?

"And don't make light of that fire. I already had to shut Illiyn up for it." The gall of that Bratva to take out fight in the party. The better to humiliate him with, then. "What is it you really want?"

Secret strengths? Perhaps the Fallen finds some clues on how... feral Hiroko gets during an artificial full moon...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Eva Bai
Hot -1 | Cold -1 | Volatile +1 | Dark +2
Harm 1/4 | Exp 4/5 | Conditions: Conspicuous, Drained, Paranoid Android

My gaze does not waver from Ronnie until slightly after Hiroko's nod. He is a subject that demands attention for itself, but this is not the time to focus on him. He appears to be focused on Hiroko over myself; she can deal with him for the time being. However, I will not allow him to believe that I am leaving because I have grown to trust him. I do not have the time or energy to form a full rebuttal, thus a closing statement will suffice.

"It's not you that I worry about, Mr Hactar. It is the company you keep." I say this quietly, but I do not wait for a response before leaving. Daniel Gladstone has had enough time to share his recording already. He has not yet left his seat, most likely focusing on ABYSS messages on his eyepiece. Said eyepiece is most likely the device used to record the video. Further observation prior to direct interaction would be useful. However, I do not have the time or energy for said observation. I must instead begin conversation immediately.

"Mr Gladstone." I stare down at him as I stand behind his desk. It appears that he did not notice my approach until I spoke. "It seems that you are talking about me."

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Ronnie Hactar
Hot -1, Cold 0, Volatile 1, Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Exp 4/5

sorry Trix, didn't mean to cut across your question like that.

Now what the gently caress does Eva mean by that? There's no way she's worried about Annie, is she? Or did she mean...Oh, poo poo, that could be a problem. Uh...how would she even know about Fallen? Can't take the time to figure it out now, though. I shrug and carry on my conversation with Hiroko.

"What, a dude can't strike up a casual conversation in class without having a secret agenda?"

I hold a straight face for about half a second before cracking a grin under the pressure, and activate the white noise generator hidden in my pocket to make listening in virtually impossible.

"Nah for real though, it's less about what I want and more about what you want. I couldn't help but notice you and Illyn are organizing a throwdown. Now, Illyn wouldn't dare try and mess up that party tonight unless he had something planned, right? Some kind of trick, or a hidden weapon? He's setting you up for a big, public fall. I can make sure that whatever his surprise is, you'll have a little something extra tucked away to level the playing field. Interested?"

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Tommy

I can't actually give prophetic guidance that dictates the desires of a fellow PC, but helping Hiroko out in the upcoming rumble would probably help Tommy's chances with her

Speaking of Hiroko's name, you find quite a bit of text-string traffic concerning Hiroko passing through the local network. The strings themselves are encrypted, except for Hiroko's name in carefully rendered Kanji. Most of it seems to be a conversation, dated fifteen to twenty minutes ago, between your classmate Iliyn and a third party. You can't see what they're saying, but backtracing it leads to a lower level routing server used, in a semi-legit fashion, for street criminals to conduct their business. People involved only use their handles, and digital avatars. Whoever iliyn is talking to, their name is “Anastasia”, and the picture that come sup when you look for their name is a bullet-cartridge incised with a hammer and sickle on the shell casing.

Looks like Iliyn might be bringing in some outside help. What have you heard about this “Anastasia”? What about her information scares you so badly?

Anna and Vincent

Vincent's punch lands with surprising strength, and Anna's hacking managed to cripple the fragile little robot. The drone shudders in midair, it's optical cammo fading, and then its rotors seize up and it drops to the ground. Now that it's down, you can see that the thing is mostly hollow, and weighs a couple of pounds at most. Its plastic carapace is branded with a familiar corporate logo: “SabraTech”. That's a famous private military contractor specializing in inertion, extraction, and military advisors to third world hellholes.

The disposable drone itself is already dissolving, its long-chain polymers unfolding and degrading into a resinous slush. Within minutes it will be completely unidentifiable plastic and metal dust. And that's bad, because the school doesn't use that kind of technology; as far as you know, school security is overworked tech nerds with webcams, not invisible hunter-killer drones. The only type of group that uses these is... a corporate extraction team.

You see the first figure in black mesh body armor cross the hallway adjoining yours. It has a chunky black gun dangling from a strap and wire loops at its belt, and a full face masked helmet, which is pointed away from you as it stalks down the hall. Someone is here to kidnap one of the student body, possibly to use as leverage against an important parent. The drone belongs to them; they know you are here, but apparently have not triangulated on your position yet.

Vincent: you feel angrier than you ever remember being. You've been beaten, battered, and humiliated, and you honestly haven't done anything to deserve it. It's hard to make your hands stop clenching into fists. You're also badly injured. What do you do?

Annie: Are they here for you? Can it be a coincidence that this happened the day after you killed several students? Where can you run to be safe?

Eva

Mr. Gladstone looks startled, then smug. He is, while not the worst cloudbaby here, the most stereotypical. He once discretely bragged about having implanted nanotech that streamlines his gastrointestinal tract, removing toxins and odiferous compounds; his poo poo don't stink. Just from something in the look on his face, you can tell that he didn't send you the message. He isn't gloating or malicious, and he isn't worried; you're just a topic of discussion to him. The cold plaguecore junkie and the one-eyed criminal kissing. Not bad for a start to the day.

“Ms. Bai,” he says evenly. “Everyone's talking about you. I rather thought you wanted it that way. Why else be so public?”

He sort of has a point. Why did you throw that in people's faces? And how are you going to wipe the smile off this rear end in a top hat's face?

Ronnie and Hiroko

Ronnie, you put in the program, and your desk goes blank. At first you think it's turned off, but then simple, single ASCII text letters start scrolling outward from the center, repeating the same phrase over and over: THEONLYWAYTOWINISNOTTOPLAY. The letters spiral outward, but slowly; eventually they will fill in the whole screen with text. And, as far as you can tell, nothing else happens. When you try to do anything else with your desk, however, you find it's locked. You can't even reboot it.

Uh oh. You turn the screen off and talk to Hiroko. Hopefully you haven't crashed the entire system.

After you get up and talk to Hiroko, you feel a distant ping in your retinal scan; you have a file waiting for download. The Fallen is pleased with you. It seems to be some sort of video taken from a grainy security cam, showing someone who looks very much like Hiroko visiting violence upon some goons; unspeakable, inhuman violence. Even you feel a little ill watching it.

Hiroko, you sense a subtle shift in Ronnie's demeanor since the last time you spoke. What do you think has changed about him? And do you think Eva's being overprotective, or do you like that about her? Also, what does come over you during a full moon? How much of the beast comes out?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Eva Bai
Harm 1/4 | Exp 4/5 | Conditions: Conspicuous, Drained, Paranoid Android

"The kiss was to show that we do not want or need Illiyn, no matter how much he wants us to want him. That, it performed... well enough for my standards. Your video does not show this. Your video is just two girls kissing. And if that video is allowed to spread, that is all I will be to the student body. And if you yourself allow it to spread, Mr Gladstone, then I will be forced to show everyone what happens when someone begins spreading footage of myself around. Am I clear, Mr Gladstone?"

Going to try to Manipulate him, with the threat of what I would do if he let it spread out as a reason to do what I ask
[16:24] <LurksWithWolves> !r 2d6-1
[16:24] <Krysmbot> LurksWithWolves, 5-1 = 4
Well then.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Tommy Blackford
Hot 1 | Cold 0 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | EXP 1/5 | Conditions: Blamed, Voyeur, Marked as Prey

Holy poo poo. Holyshitholyshitholyshit. Anastasia? From Tommy's very limited second hand information, she not just a freelance hitter, but one of the most infamous. Not because she's particularly deadly or anything, but because the other hitters think she's a loving psycho. Like, hitters are supposed to be all cool and precise, but Anastasia is notorious for collateral damage. I mean... gently caress! Hiring a goddamn assassin for some macho chest puffing is crazy enough, but why the hell did he pick her? Is Iliyn just suicidal, or does he actually not know who he's talking to?

Still, at least he knows that Hiroko is going toni- OH MY GOD, STOP THINKING WITH YOUR DICK. THIS IS IMPORTANT.

Um. Ok. Gotta talk to Hiroko. Surely she'll see that Iliyn is nuts and just call it off, right?

Ha, he should be so lucky.

He messages Hiroko and tries to throw her a significant glance to get her attention

quote:

Found something you should know about the party. REALLY IMPORTANT, but I can't type it out. It'll get flagged in a second.
Just let me know when you can talk alone.

He sits back in his chair and waits impatiently for a response.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Ani "Annie" Fisher-Lee
Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2
Harm 0/4 | Exp 2/5 | Conditions: Victim, Burnt Out

"Well-" I cut myself off, withdrawing into a sulk at Vincent's outburst, and continuing to glower at him for his typical entitled overreaction to me BOTHERING TO CARE IF HE WAS HIT BY THE MILITARY GRADE KILLERDRONE I SAVED HIM FROM. But not, shout at me for even asking! loving cloudbabies. Why do I care? Why do I ever loving bother to care?

And naturally I remember why I bother to care when he hauls me up, his body pressed close to mine, his, hot, hot, body. My cold demeanor shatters at once, "yeah, just... tripped." I look away from him, embarrassed, and see the soldier. Nudging him in the side, I gesture towards it, and then mouth, 'we need to run' as emphatically as I can. No time to explain that they're after me, that'd just raise questions!

Shifting onto my own weight, I grab one of his hands and start to run down the hall towards one of the emergency exits, trying to drag him along behind me. I can't tell if hes following or not, but if he isn't I'm going to get out of here! Attraction only goes so far. To cover my bases a bit though, as I run I swipe back into the grid and send a message out to Ronnie.

ABYSS Instant Messenger posted:

@Hactar.Ron: SabraTech goons in the school
@Hactar.Ron: going to be chaos in a minute

About 30 seconds later, I get to an alarm in the hall and smash it as hard as I can.

run away!
9:26:18 PM godfish !r 2d6-1
9:26:18 PM Krysmbot godfish, 10-1 = 9
making a scene

GodFish fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 12, 2015

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Ronnie Hactar
Harm 0/4 | Exp 4/5

Oh...oh, gently caress, that is some nasty poo poo. I mean, wow, I've been in fights, and some of the things I've done have probably (definitely) killed people, but I've never seen anything like...did she really just pull that dude's face right off? How is that even possible, she doesn't have that kind of augmentation, surely? I knew she was dangerous but this is ridiculous. Maybe I was wrong about her needing help with Illyn, he pretty clearly has no idea what he's messing with. I do my best to hold a poker face as I wait for her answer.

Hold Steady: 2d6 10

Holding 1 forward for this scene., marking XP for rolling cold, levelling, taking the remaining Bargains

@Hactar.Ron: SabraTech goons in the school
@Hactar.Ron: going to be chaos in a minute

loving hell, what is going on with today? First I'm sittin here chatting with a death-dealing Yakuza babe, now I have to go help my ghost...girlfriend? It's complicated. Anyway, Annie needs some help. I thought moving up a few levels would make life easier, but I guess I was wrong.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 13, 2015

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Vincent Yohloh II
Hot +2 Cold -1 Volatile +1 Dark -1
Harm 2/4 | XP 5+1/5 | Conditions: Delicious, Blamed, Terrified, DARKEST SELF (Sasquatch)

Why am I tearing up right now? Am I crying? No, I'm just...tired. I'm really tired. I know I slept this morning but I still feel just...so drat tired. So when Annie points out the strange person in the mask coming our way, I barely manage a nod and a whisper of "get going."

I'm really tired. Tired of getting dumped on, tired of getting yelled at for no apparent reason, tired of mysterious crazy poo poo that's happening all around me but that no one will tell me about. Oh, who gives a poo poo about the guy who dyes his hair pink? He's a patsy, he's a dupe, we'll blame everything we ever did on him and rub his nose in it while we're at it.

I quietly pull my smartphone from my pocket and take a picture of the rapidly disintegrating drone without bothering to turn on the flash or check the lighting. Then I turn to the mysterious woo woo figure. Look at him, walking around like he owns the place, thinks having a gun and a ten dollar paintball helmet makes him so drat special.

"Hey," I mutter, directly to the masked man. There's no one else around, so he has to know I'm talking to him. "Is this your drone?" He keeps on walking. Someone pulls the alarm. I really don't need its noise right now...and I'm tired of people thinking that I don't matter.

With big stomping steps--I don't think I've ever walked like this before!--I get right in that masked bastard's way and clench my fists. "Hey! Take some loving responsibility! Is this your loving drone or not?! I want an answer!"

I'm going to do something really dumb right now, but in character for the Sasquatch Darkest Self. I'm going to Hold Steady here.
[22:31:41] <Davin_Valkri> !r 2d6-1
[22:31:41] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 9-1 = 8 I guess I'm just keeping my cool, then. Actually...

I am just so drat tired of life right now.

"HEY, LISTEN, FUCKER!"

And then I punch him in the gut, level with his gun.

gently caress it, lashing out!
[22:43:21] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 6+1 = 7 I'll go with the string option

The first punch feels solid, but when I try to swing a second, he catches my arm! And then I hear a beep-beep-beep-beep next to my head...where's it coming from?! It's on him, but where?!

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Hiroko Nakayama
Harm 0/4 | Exp 5/5 | Conditions: Left Out

I would not be surprised Iliyn finds a way to gang up on me in a public event. My mother always said that the Russians have lost their spine since the last world war. It takes the guilt off whenever I feed into the rival mobs whenever the full moon comes in. My fur comes out, my teeth sharpen, and I drench them both in Russian blood. It's a mercy killing, really. This Bratva will be no different.

"It doesn't matter what he does. I can handle myself." I say, politely declining his request. What's his deal, though? He's lower level, like me, who lucked a spot in this class. He's not the criminal underworld type. What can he offer to help me? I admit, I'm a bit curious.

I check into his records with a bit of Abyss-wrangling and feed it to my cyber-eye's vision. Eva's not the only one who can dive like a pro, you know. Not that I don't appreciate her keeping an eye out for me.

Gaze into the Abyss to find out about Ronnie's deal: Trix, 8-1 = 7. I'll take confusing and alarming and mark XP.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Ronnie Hactar
Harm 0/4 | Exp 0/5

I shrug as Hiroko waves away my offer.

"Offers open anytime you need it, babe. Now if you'll excuse me I think there's going to be a loud noise about...now"

The alarm starts ringing pretty much on cue. I need to get out and help Annie. SabraTech are bad news - even if a couple of nobodies like us aren't likely to be the target, they aren't keen on witnesses. If they're coming to this class, the smart thing to do would be to lock down the room and wait them out - security will be along eventually. But Annie's out there and I'm not leaving her to die...again. Or whatever. I stand up, turn off the white noise generator and push my way to the door.

"Hey, Monitor Wang! You need to lock down the room, now!"

Manipulate an NPC: 2d6-1 9

What will it take to get Wang to sack up and get this panic under control?

I make sure I slip through before he can get the door locked, and open a secure channel to Fallen.

"I need a weapon. Something that can take out a SabraTech Operative. What can you get me?"

Strings Attached
You can ask the dark power for something that you really,
really want. The MC will attach a price to the thing you
want, and hint at an undesired twist in its nature. If you
pay the price, you’ll get what you’re after

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Oops. My last post was supposed to be the start of Scene 2 Go ahead and award yourself XP if you rolled appropriate stats.

Eva Bai

Eva gains the condition “Plebian”

Daniel looks, if anything, amused. “Okay, Plague-rat; go ahead. Tell me what exactly happens when someone starts spreading footage of you around? Are you going to tell the teachers on me? Maybe sic your middle income parents in my direction?” As he speaks, his hand taps idly on the desk; he's still chatting with his friends while you talk.

He is calling your bluff. What do you do?

Annie

Drones? loving drones?! You book it. Unfortunately, behind you you hear the sound of crackling comms: “We have a runner,” someone barks, in machine-augmented voice-distortion. “Pursue.” And from down another hallway you hear thudding feet. You criss cross hallways, avoiding them, but they're still after you.

Fortunately you find an alarm. When you yank it, it makes a satisfying bleet; once, twice, three times. Then it dies abruptly. They cut the fire alarms. If nothing else happens, people are going to think it was just a prank.

You know that they're still after you. In fact, as you watch, you see a stealthed blur fly down a side corridor, bounce drunkenly off the wall, and take a corner, away from you, this time. poo poo! Where do you hide? What do you find there that just might save you?

Vincent

Sabratech gains a string on Vincent. Strings gained by Corporate Stooges belong to the corporation they represent, not the stooges. Corps never play fair

Your fist connects with a meaty thunk! Man, you can see why this whole “solving problems with violence” thing appeals to so many people. But then the beeping sound near your head is followed by a flash, and strobing laser-splash; somebody just took a full facial scan of you. It's this goon's helmet. poo poo, you've been ID'd and logged.

The goon claws at you, searching for purchase to shove you back. He clearly didn't expect a cloudbaby student to come in swinging wildly like this. You spot a knife at his belt; he's got two, inverted. This close, you could grab one and arm yourself with a real weapon, but then he'd draw his too and at that point, we're playing for keeps, Do you escalate? You think you might need the edge. And, gently caress it; you're angry.

Ronnie, Hiroko, and Tommy

As soon as he asks The Fallen for a weapon, inside Ronnie's head, there's a musical chime. When he looks back into the room, he can see that his desk is on but the words are no longer spiralling outward from the center of his desk; they've filled it completely. They flash once, then disappear, to be replaced by.... Nothing. Nothing at all.

Meanwhile, Hiroko does a cursory search on Ronnie. Do you know what “bit rot” is? All stored electronic data, no matter the medium, gradually decays over time as the electromagnetic bits that make it up randomly lose charge one by one, because of quantum. It's like rust, for software. Ronnie's files look like exactly what you'd expect to find from a maintenance-level orphan of his background, except for the fact that they are laced with enormous levels of bit rot. Photos are filled with hideous graphical artifacts like they've been resized twenty times, leaving them withered and sinister-seeming. Text documents have unintelligible computer code where key words should be. The personnel record of a teenage boy looks like something you might expect to scrape off of a floppy disc, if you had any idea at all what a floppy disc was. And it feels, weirdly, like it somehow is getting worse the longer you look at it, as if someone is doing it in real time on purpose.

Having gazed into the Abyss, the Abyss gazes back. The Fallen stirs.

Wang kai-Chun seems nervous after the alarm goes off; too nervous. He eyes Ronnie, and the door, which Ronnie is on the outside of. Totally at odds with what you'd expect from him, he actually sticks to his teacher-assigned duty. “I can't leave you on the other side,“ he says, looking stern. “Get your dumb rear end inside, and I'll lock it down.” Wang's price is doing what you're supposed to.

Tommy and Hiroko hear weird musical tones coming from Tima Imoto's desk. The odd, cheerful little cloud-girl is giggling as she plays with the controls. It looks like some sort of stylized, ancient arcade game. There's a 2D HUD depicting red health bars, ammo (in the form of a row of bullets), a high score, and a top-down map. One the screen, you see a 2D robot drone sprite flying up and down hallways, each laid out in a familiar pattern; those are the hallways of your school. Tima is flying the drone around randomly using her desk's touchscreen as a gamepad, but you can see small 2D sprite figures of menacing soldiers in dark armor, and one of a pink-haired sprite punching someone, complete with tinny arcade-game speech bubbles popping out of their head saying “Ow!” and “Barf!”

Annie's empty desk flashes, and suddenly displays another such game, with another tiny drone flying around a different part of school. Ronnie's desk flashes, displaying the Title Menu of the game: “School Shoot-Out”. The cheesy neon logo looks like a metal panther taking the “Out” in “Shoot-Out” in its monomolecular fangs, and growling. You recognize the beast as a stylized and cartoonish depiction of the “PNTHR quadripedal unmanned combat assistance weapon; a much more threatening type of combat drone. He text underneath it says. “Player One: Press Any Button To Start”.

The Fallen drops text directly into Ronnie's cornea.

Fallen posted:

Go back inside and play the game, meat puppet. Get your friends to play too.
The Fallen's deal is obvious; if Ronnie stays safe, he'll be given the tools to fight the enemies threatening Annie, but he has to leave her to her own devices outside. And there will be more strings attached to this.

What do the three of you do?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Ronnie Hactar
Harm 0/4 | Exp 0/5

Aww, son of a bitch! Getting ganged up on by Fallen and Wang? That's like taking a flechette round right to the ego. Still...if this gets rid of the guys out there, then I can knuckle under for now.

ToTheFallen posted:

Cool your neural network, old machine. I'll play your game.

I grin sheepishly at Wang and slink back to my desk.

"Right, yeah, sure thing. Got a bit carried away there."

Alright, so Fallen has linked me up to what, a PNTHR drone? What the hell is this thing doing locally? Unless someone was expecting this kind of raid... Forget it. Focus on getting the fight sorted first. I tap one of the haptic feedback keys at random, and send a quick message to Tommy and Hiroko, encrypted but with my name on it. They should probably know what's going on...to a certain extent.

ABYSS IM posted:

@Nakayma.Hiroko; Blackford.Thomas: One of you needs to play the game on Annie's desk.
@Nakayma.Hiroko; Blackford.Thomas High stakes.
@Nakayma.Hiroko; Blackford.Thomas Not sure what to expect, but keep your eyes open.
@Nakayma.Hiroko; Blackford.Thomas: enemy are extraction team with unknown target.

Let's take this robot on the road, then. Am I going to be controlling it manually with an interface like Timma, or do I need to dive into the drone? That could be tricky if whatever set up that ICE is still...poo poo, the ICE and the extraction team! They must be linked, that's why Fallen has set up this...clunky rear end interface. Alright, well, if Imoto can do it, so can I. Tap a few keys, watch the icon move around a bit...

Lash out Physically: 2d6+1 8
SabraTech gains a string, but it gets erased by Unknowable.
Not sure what the harm as established is for a mono-molecular edged machine press mouth but I'm assuming it's real bad.

Somewhere near the teachers lounge a pair of infiltrators are installing a data tap to allow them to override any irritating lockdown orders that might be given locally. They look up when they hear the sound of a prerecorded animal growl, and see a previously friendly PNTHR drone rushing them, mono-filament teeth and hardened composite alloy armour shining in the fluorescent light. They barely have time to register the AR overlay is no longer green, but red. One raises his gun and lets off a short, futile flechette burst before the drone starts to rip him and his teammate apart with unseemly enthusiasm.

:getin:

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 15, 2015

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Tommy Blackford
Harm 1/4 | EXP 2/5 | Conditions: Blamed, Voyeur, Marked as Prey

Impatience getting the better of him, Tommy was walking over talk with Hiroko directly when the gunfire and the alarm goes off. He instinctively ducks when he hears the guns going off. It's not really something he's used to.

Man, hope Hiroko didn't see that.

Staying low, Tommy keeps moving towards Hiroko. He doesn't really know what he's going to do when he gets there, but he's not really thinking that far ahead.

When he gets there, Ronnie's run back in and is playing some sort of game on his desk. What the gently caress is Ronnie thinking? Is he crazy, playing a game at a time like this. He then sees the message on flashing on Hiroko's desk.

...What. WHAT?!

Ronnie's controlling a combat drone? And he wants them to control one as well? Man, Ronnie's lost it. This is just nuts.

On the other hand, it did suddenly pop up with a game right when the shooting started. And is that... Vincent? Inside the game? Well, poo poo. Maybe this isn't crazy.

Well, it's crazy, but that doesn't mean Ronnie's wrong.

Tommy still unable to tear his eyes away from Ronnie as he says to Hiroko, "I guess... I don't have a better idea. I'm going to dive in. Cover for me like yesterday, ok?"

Scrambling under the desk, Tommy gets to work taking the access panel apart. No way is he going to be stuck doing things at meatspeed, especially with stakes as high as this. With impressive speed, he's holding the input pins to the terminal. He hesitates for a moment. He really doesn't want to be the class freak, but he glances up at Hiroko. He can't let anything happen to her. And maybe no one else will see? Most of the class is under their desks too. Shaking it off, he takes a deep breath and jams the pins into his forearm.

The last thing he mutters before he's in is, "You better be right about this, Ronnie."

Spiraling down to gaze into the abyss for love: 2d6+4 12
Clear visions that cure me of a marked as prey.
Also, I think this probably counts as going Down the Rabbit Hole. I'll wait for OKShark before marking XP, though.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Eva Bai
Harm 1/4 | Exp 4->5/5 | Conditions: Conspicuous, Drained, Paranoid Android, Plebian

So, since that last post was the start of Scene 2, I'd get an XP from trying to Manipulate Daniel which is enough to level me up. Taking Inhuman Gaze because Eva is starting to realize that she's going to have to do things directly.

The stealth approach is not working. In fact, the stealth approach has appeared to place me in a worse place socially than the one in which I started. My programming dictates that absolute secrecy is necessary for absolute security. However, this programming was intended for database intrusion, not for the social landscape. Thus, standard operating procedures must be amended for this new landscape. More specifically, the potential usefulness of causing a scene in order to prevent a potentially larger security leak. Relevant idiom: 'when making an omelette, one must break a few eggs'.

"No. This." I lunge forward and grab the back of Daniel Gladstone's head with one hand, taking a hold of his collar with the other. As I begin to slam him forward into his desk, I see a flicker of fear in his eyes. And then something unexpected happened.

Going to Lash Out Physically at Daniel, and eating Conspicuous with A Blank Slate in the process as Eva starts to realize that she can't get anything done while maintaining absolute anonymity.

[14:21] <LurksWithWolves> !r 2d6+2
[14:21] <Krysmbot> LurksWithWolves, 4+2 = 6
[14:21] <LurksWithWolves> gently caress you.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Ani "Annie" Fisher-Lee
Harm 0/4 | Exp 3/5 | Conditions: Burnt Out

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress they seriously cut the loving alarm that fast?!

I'm dead and why isn't Vincent running with me oh god did he seriously try to fight that guy?

I'm dead I'm dead I'm dead I'm dead I'-hey- a proper terminal!

I've probably passed dozens actually, but this is the first one I notice, mainly because the door is open and I almost ran into it. I slam the door shut behind me and slam the connections in. Hopefully the drones or whatever is after me won't think to look inside a terminal, what kind of idiot would hide in there anyway? But even if they do, this isn't a simple brain-connection, I'm properly jacked in now, time to sort this poo poo out.

Without waiting to give them a chance to find me, I dive, slipping effortlessly through the ABYSS this time, like a ghost badass cyberdiver, following the data trail of the drones and signals bouncing between the Sabratech goons, trying to find the source, and how to stop it. Better watch yourself punks, Annie isn't going to take this poo poo lying down, she's ON YOUR rear end!

Gaze into the ABYSS
8:06:55 PM godfish !r 2d6+2
8:06:56 PM Krysmbot godfish, 9+2 = 11
I'll take the visions show you what you must do, and you carry 1 forward to doing it; the visions cure you, removing a Condition (Victim).
Retroactive experience for running away last post

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Vincent Yohloh II
Hot +2 Cold -1 Volatile +1 Dark -1
Harm 2/4 | XP 5+1/5 | Conditions: Delicious, Blamed, Terrified, DARKEST SELF (Sasquatch)

"Get that scanner out of my face!" I cry out as I shove my hand against the helmet. This must be what wrestlers call "the clinch", and it's...honestly kind of exhilarating! Yeah! I don't even care that my face is probably on a private police database now, this feels great! Next time Brock takes a swing at me I'm going to take a swing right back!

But right now I have to deal with this rear end in a top hat. Seriously, who or what is so important that some jerkwads's going to come in dressed all in black with a fancy rear end helmet and shoot up a loving school?! And bring a loving deniable drone to do it, too?! Why would you even think about doing it?! When I was playing Cyber Corps Void Lasers, I never thought "hey, you know what this game needs? A level where you burst into a school and shoot the students!" What kind of hosed up ego do you have to have to do this sort of poo poo?!

I can see the rear end in a top hat shifting their guard down to their belt. I can see the knives there, but I'm not going to take it. Instead I shift my grip so I can bring my head close to their helmet.

"Listen, rear end in a top hat," I glower. Am I spitting? I kind of hope I am. "Tell me what the hell you're doing here." I lean in even closer. The screens in my contact lenses shift ever so slightly. "Or I'll tell everybody you got beat by a loving pissant cloudbaby. "

Angry Vincent is angry! Is this Shut Someone Down or Manipulate an NPC? People are saying Manipulate!
[23:07:08] <Davin_Valkri> !r 2d6+2
[23:07:10] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 9+2 = 11

"You want to go down in history as the super-cool black-ops operator who got their rear end beat by a kid with pink hair?! TALK!"

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

I'll spend my XP and take Scent of Blood as my werewolf advance.

Hiroko Nakayama
Harm 0/4 | Exp 0/5 | Conditions: Left Out

I thought the systems at this level would be more secure compared to below. What is going on here? Why does anything about Ronnie only lead to garbage data?

...What the hell is that alarm about? Ronnie knew it was going to happen, just as he left in a hurry. Who the hell is he?

All at once, my ears pick up the utter chaos around me. Buzzing drones. Gunfire. That loving alarm. The message beep on my desk about a game. Eva threatening Gladstone over the video. It used to be overwhelming, but much like anything about being a werewolf, you learn to filter the good with the bad. Okay, snap decision: check on Eva or stick with Tommy.

"Alright, go and loving dive in." I tell Tommy. I don't get that game at all, but I sort of owe him after yesterday, so I stay close by. And pop up the messenger using my eye.

ABYSS Messenger posted:

@Bai.Eva: Stay away from the doors. Something bad's happening outside.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Ronnie/Hiroko/Tommy

Ronnie pilots the panther. On the screen, the little animated sprite slides as if on rockets down the hallway. You see the brief “Press (X) to Pounce” prompt and press it. The PNTHR sprite leaps onto an enemy, squashing him in clean explosion of pixels.

Out in the hallway, there's a gurgling scream as sleek chitinous death lands on one of the mercs and tears through mesh armor, muscle, and rib cage with casual ease. Blood paints the wall.

The PNTHR drone's base harm is “Enough”. You murder a dude.

Ronnie notes that the PNTHR is armed with nonlethal options – tasers and gel-round loads in a shoulder cannon – but that all of these are currently greyed out on screen with a cartoon lock over them. The Fallen does not do less than lethal. On your minimap, one of the red enemy dots goes out. 4 to go.

Tommy jacks into the game, but it doesn't help as much as you'd think for reaction times, since everything related to the drones is being channelled through a black box man-in-the-middle hack that you don't recognize. Someone (the Fallen) is running impenetrable and amazingly complex software; it's like the desk and everything inside and a long black datalink connecting it to the drones are all covered in black mirror-chrome. All you can see is the direct outputs: audio/visual/haptic. It does give you a new perspective on the game, though, because you can watch it converting real time data to cutesy sprites right in front of you.

Tommy gets +1 forward to Lashing out Violently with the game console

Hiroko finds Tima sitting at the only other functional console, happily flying a drone. Instead of fighting blissful cloudbaby seems to be exploring the school and seeing if she can bank the drone into restrooms. If you want to join the battle, you'll need to displace her.

Eva

You grab Daniel easily enough but when you try to slam him into the desk his collar rips, and you end up punching the desk with your own fist hard enough to hurt.

Take 1 harm

Daniel jerks away, tearing more of his shirt. “What the hell is wrong with you, you crazy bitch?” he demands. And then, seeing that he can't back away anymore since Wang has sealed the room, he takes a swing at Eva.
Additional 1 harm incoming unless you do something about it

Annie

The Sabratech mercs' data trail isn't particularly hard to trace; they've got a hacker/rigger stationed outside the school linked into the main data-trunk. Standard shadownrun protocol, at least according to the popular vids. Currently, the hacker is going insane trying to get control of their drones back, but they have enough leftover juice to do crude things like lock down fire exits and shut internal alarms down, if nothing else. Their avatar within the web looks like a cross between an articulated steel woman and a spider, and it's loving fast. Professional-grade deck. Tough customer.

Vincent

The merc struggles and claws, trying to shove you away. “No one cares who you are, kid,” he snarls. “We're here for the goddamned mystery-girl! Let us take her and we'll go.” He reaches past the knife at his beslt and grabs a short black box that crackles with sparks.

Unless you react quickly, you will gain the Tased condition

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Tommy Blackford
Harm 2/4 | EXP 3/5 | Conditions: Blamed, Voyeur,

gently caress! Stupid black box. I just wanted to mess with the IFF system! I don't want to actually DO this myself. Nevertheless, I fiddle with the "controls" and line up a shot easy enough. My finger tenses on the trigger. It's... kind of like a VR game, right? But, I know it isn't. That's a real person. Even though I know they're shooting the place up, it's not really...ok. I mean, I could just hide an- AH! GODDAMNIT! What kind of crazy moron enables pain feedback on a loving DRONE? I act without really thinking and unload on the person who shot at me.

(In the real world, Tommy jerks and his nose starts bleeding while he's under the table.)

Lash out like the visions told me for love: 2d6+1 7
He'll take a harm.

A fine red mist rises off their body and they slump to the ground. ...I just killed a person.
Oh my god, I think I'm going to be sick.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Eva Bai
Harm 2/4 | Exp 0/5 | Conditions: Drained, Paranoid Android, Plebian

This encounter is growing beyond my ability to control it. I intended to display dominance over Daniel Gladstone. Instead I have starting a full fight and have gained nothing but a shredded shirt collar and a wrist that is showing signs of notable damage. My actions are growing sloppy. Daniel has begun to [a message from Hiroko is received. this message will be inspected at a later point] counterattack. Action must be taken immediately to counteract this.

"You asked. I showed you." I lunge forward, wrapping my arms around his waist. Intention: To knock Daniel off balance, thus stopping him from throwing his first punch. The two of us fall over the desk Daniel was previously seated at, landing on the floor on the opposing side. Daniel has begun kicking at my stomach to force me to let him go. Minor desync between optic nerves and neural interface has been detected. Wrist damage is nearing critical levels. Assistance may be necessary.

Let's try to take down Daniel before he takes me down by lashing out a second time:
[14:24] <LurksWithWolves> !r 2d6+1
[14:24] <Krysmbot> LurksWithWolves, 7+1 = 8
Okay. If tackling him counts as stopping the punch he was about to throw, I'm going to take one harm back because he can still punch and kick even if I stopped that specific punch. If it doesn't, I'll give him a string on me. Either way I'm probably ending up with three harm and in need of some serious medical attention. (It also means Hiroko gets +1 to all rolls against me or Daniel, since she just got Scent of Blood.)

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Ani "Annie" Fisher-Lee
Harm 0/4 | Exp 3/5 | Conditions: Burnt Out

Hmm, the most obvious solution is to remove the hacker from the picture to cut off the drones, but that would still leave the armed goons with fairly free range of the school. If I could pretend to be the hacker and order them out..? Probably wouldn't work, but if I can get the alarms back up, the school should go into lockdown, and hopefully get some police or something in here.

So the best way to do that would be to target the hacker after all. But how to do it, I've never really directly attacked someone through the abyss, I suppose I just have to disrupt the data flow? The best way I can think of would be to put an ICE in the way, but I don't know how to set up anything strong enough to stop a professional, so my best bet is probably to overload them with as much data as possible to make the connection faulty. I spread out my connection into more school terminals, then set them all to send data bursts at the hacker.

Shut down the hacker
7:55:16 PM godfish !r 2d6+1
7:55:17 PM Krysmbot godfish, 7+1 = 8
Lets swap conditions, nothing can go wrong here. I'll give them Overwhelmed

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Hiroko Nakayama
Harm 0/4 | Exp 0/5 | Conditions: Left Out

Hold that thought. I smell her blood.

Someone will pay for that. I find myself between Eva and Gladstone.

"What the gently caress is going on?" I violently pry her away from the cloudbady. Then I shove my fist in Daniel's face. Why is he hurting my girl? Is he loving dense?

Lash out: Trix, 7+2 = 9. I'll have them take a string on me.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Ronnie Hactar
Harm 0/4 | Exp 0/5

Out of the corner of my eye I can see Eva and Hiroko getting into a fight with Gladstone. If she kills him in here...well, I'll probably lose my breakfast, if it goes down anything like her other kills that I saw. I need to stay focused, though. Losing control of the PNTHR would be a disaster.

Lash out Physically: 2d6+1 9, tagging Overwhelmed to make 11 - Gaining a string on SabraTech?

The PNTHR has a wealth of interesting information in it's complicated electronic brain - data streams from sensors and the systems that are supposed to be controlling it, telemetry from HQ, that sort of thing. It probably shouldn't be transmitting that information in clear to an unauthorized local terminal, but on the other hand the drone isn't equipped to make that sort of decision. All the right codes were given, just like they were for it to turn on the team it was escorting until a moment ago. Moral judgements, it completely fails to reflect, are the prerogative of human minds. Another agent screams and is silenced with a sickening wet sound as the metal predator continues to pursue it's new targets.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Vincent Yohloh II
Hot +2 Cold -1 Volatile +1+1 Dark -1
Harm 2/4 | XP 1/5 | Conditions: Delicious, Blamed, Terrified, DARKEST SELF (Sasquatch)

Somehow, this jackass saying that I don't matter to him pisses me off just as much as why he's here.

"How do you get from kidnapping to bringing loving killbots into a school?!" I scream back. "Shooting at random teenagers how you get off--!?"

I almost don't see the taser coming. Almost.

"DID I SAY I WAS FINISHED?!" It almost seems natural to try to shove the business end of the stun gun into his side instead!

Go, Vincent, go! Fight these runners in hand to hand while everybody else does so over the ABYSS! First take a +1 Volatile advance, then Lash out!
Taze a dick! (Lash out, +Volatile): 2d6+2 8 Another offense, another string?

It works! And then the scanner reflexively goes off in my face again! Dammit!

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Eva & Hiroko
You prevent Daniel from dealing any more damage. Eva is at 3 harm
Between Eva tackling him to the ground and Hiroko decking him, Daniel Gladstone goes down and stays down. He's clutching a nose from which blood is freely streaming and making unmanly squeals of pain. All the fight's gone out of him; dude was just a cloudbaby after all.

“Wud da gently caress?” he wails, trough the blood and tears. “She just hid me! I didn'd do anyfing!”

Eva: you are badly hurt. This is much worse than a sprained wrist. In tackling him he must have kicked you hard enough to cause bruised ribs, or possibly a break. However, you haven't completed your objective; the video is still being bandied about the chat room. You currently have access to Daniel's unlocked, password-disabled desk. What do you do?

Hiroko: Eva's pretty hosed up, and you're trapped in here. Was it this little prick's fault? Are you really going to stop at one punch? Is there anything you can do to help her?

Annie
Under normal circumstances your crude spam attack wouldn't stop a professional hacker with a full corporate equipment suite, but she's currently so caught up in trying to fence with whatever the hell has locked her out of her drones that it works, but not without cost. At the last second, she figures out what's going on and loads a riposte program; corp-grade virals slam back through the link and slag the terminal you're connecting from. You yank the connection fast enough to avoid all but the smallest amount of viral code.

Gain the condition “Infected”. Don't worry, it's just a small one.

With the hacker temporarily booted out of the system, the alarms kick in with a vengeance. Sporadically, throughout the building, some of the security doors slam shut, and some of the sprinkler systems go off, including the one directly over your head. You're soaked in seconds. Students are about to start spilling out into the hallways all over the school, just to see what's happening.

Annie: Are you going to get blamed for this? Where do you go? There are still goons out there, probably.

Tommy & Ronnie
This arcade simulation makes killing easy and fun! Some of the other students have started gathering around to watch. A few seem to have caught on to what's happening, and they look amazed.

Who is watching you play, and what does the look on their face tell you? Do you keep killing? There's still 2 left, counting the one fighting Vincent.

Vincent
You taze the motherfucker, although it isn't as satisfying as you'd hoped; instead of flopping to the ground he only jerks and kicks for a second, until his mesh armor copes and grounds it out. This close to him, you can hear the barked orders relayed through his helmet: “Abort! Abort! Situation is irretrievably compromised.”

The merc shoves you back and turns to run as fast as his spasmodic neurons will let him. Do you let him get away that easy?

Remember, your darkest self won't go away until you hurt someone so badly that it frightens you.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Eva Bai
Harm 3/4 | Exp 0/5 | Conditions: Drained, Paranoid Android, Plebian

"I had to be sure that he would not spread the video. So I made sure." I stumble backwards as I get off of Daniel Gladstone, eventually being forced to grab his desk to maintain balance. Damage is more extreme than initial scans suggested. Pain responses are being flagged across the body. Possibility of at least one broken rib is moderately high. Damage is nearing critical levels. Something must be done about this. Something that I am currently not in the proper condition to do. I must ask for aid.

"Hiroko, leave Daniel be. You've done enough. I..." Why am I having such difficulty saying this? Voicebox and language centers are both undamaged. This can be considered further at a later time, when damage is less critical. "I need you more than he does right now."

Spending a string to offer Hiroko 1 XP to help me instead of beating Daniel's face raw.

Also, since I'm still deciding what exactly to do with his desk just yet and I want to talk with OKShark about it, I'll leave that hanging for just a bit longer.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 25, 2015

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Vincent Yohloh II
Hot +2 Cold -1 Volatile +2 Dark -1
Harm 2/4 | XP 1/5 | Conditions: Delicious, Blamed, Terrified, DARKEST SELF (Sasquatch)

Can I remove the condition Terrified now, since Vince has spent the last few rounds facing down a mercenary in single combat?

He's running?! NOW he's running?! It's only when he gets his rear end beat by a cloudbaby that he thinks this was a bad idea? That little bitch!

"Hey! What did I just say?!" I swear to Haier-Arc, I am going to GRAB this bastard and I am going to DRAG him in from of the people he endangered and he is going to face their loving judgement and for once in the history of the entire fricking arcology the good guys are going to win! "GET BACK HERE YOU PIECE OF poo poo! I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU YET!"

Should this be another Lash Out or some kind of Hold Steady? Vincent isn't trying to punch him, just catch him and throw him to the wolves. I think I'm going to call it a Hold Steady.
[20:08:41] <Davin_Valkri> !r 2d6-1
[20:08:42] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 6-1 = 5 And...welp!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Ronnie Hactar
Harm 0/4 | Exp 0/5

The PANTHR icon has caught up with the icon of the runner closest to the little Vincent icon. I should really resist the urge to give the idiot a scare...but I'm practically saving his life here, right?

Lash out Physically (overwhelmed/tazed): 2d6+2 10

The harm is great/gross

The composite shell and myomer muscles of the drone make body blocking the fleeing man easy. The impact knocks the wind out of him, and the drone picks the man up by the neck and shakes him like a terrier with a rat. Then batters him against the wall like an orca with a seal. Then...well, makes a mess. It's pretty gory and ugly.

On the game screen, style points accumulate as I press the combo button a few more times, grinning to myself. I lean back and stretch out my hands a bit, and notice Chibuike watching me. Me and the game. He looks...terrified? Like he knows what must be going on out there, not just on the screen. What's his deal, anyway? I look back at him with my best insolent stare, leaving the drone to it's own devices for a few seconds.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

I'll take it. Also got an XP for attacking in the first place.

Hiroko Nakayama
Harm 0/4 | Exp 2/5 | Conditions: Left Out

"...Okay."

Can't think about anyone else right now. Or what's going on outside. Eva's hurt. She needs some help.

"For what it's worth, I don't give a gently caress who started it." I leave him to bleed and check my girl out. "We need to get you to the clinic. gently caress this lockdown."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Eva Bai
Harm 3/4 | Exp 0->1/5 | Conditions: Drained, Paranoid Android, Plebian

Hiroko listened. This is good. Reliability is good in girlfriends lovers protectors associates.

"I trust that you can convince someone to unlock the doors on your own, correct? Because-" I involuntarily wince as I lower myself into Daniel Gladstone's seat. "Because I need to rest while I can. Don't worry, I won't go far." I attempt to smile in order to put Hiroko at ease. I may have succeeded.

However, while she does that, I have a wealth of potentially useful information regarding Daniel Gladstone and his associates right here. Inspecting this information fulfills three functions. One, gathering information is the prime directive. Two, the information gathered may prove useful in preventing further escalation of this event. Third, as a purely mental action, this will provide something to focus on beyond the near-constant pain signals currently dominating my senses. I reach out into the ABYSS and connect to his desk.

Since I'm here, Gazing Into The Abyss by poking my nose into Daniel's stuff and hopefully finding something about how to make this not turn into a giant series of escalations.
[13:22] <LurksWithWolves> !r 2d6+2
[13:22] <Krysmbot> LurksWithWolves, 3+2 = 5
Well, at least I get a point of XP out of the deal.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Tommy Blackford
Harm 2/4 | EXP 3/5 | Conditions: Blamed, Voyeur,

I feel sick. I'm just about to abandon the "game" when I notice that Vince is picking a fight with one of the mercs. gently caress, Vince is... I mean... I don't like Vince much, but that merc's gonna kill Vince if he keeps fighting. And he's one of the only decent cloudbabies in the school. So, I ignore the squeamish feeling in my gut and line up a shot. I close my eyes and pull the trigger.

Lash out at the overwhelmed and stunned merc: 2d6+1 4
lolno

I turn around before I can see what happened. It's the only way I'm not going to throw up. I almost trip over Rachel's android, but she catches me before I fall. I can see through the vid screen that she's looking down at my bleeding arm, shocked. I rub it on my nose to try and get rid of some of the blood on my face. Maybe she'll think the blood on my arm is from my nose. I glance around to find Hiroko. She said she'd watch my back while I plugged in.

She's with Eva. Of course she ditched me for Eva when I needed her.

I just sink to into a chair, crushed, and stare up at Rachel's vidscreen while protectively holding the holes in my arm. Guess I'm going to be the class freak now.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Eva

You can see the chat room interface; there's nothing stopping you from deleting the video. You can do anything with Daniel's desk that he can normally do, including that. What you can't do, because you fumble the initial connection, is do anything with great subtlety or skill. You flick through his tables and folders and find nothing that you didn't already know about him, except that he's a very messy and cluttered electronic presence.

Lying on the floor, Daniel stares at you with hatred. He's too smart to taunt you with Hiroko around, but you've made an enemy.

You can delete the video; if there are backups, you don't see any. But Daniel gets a string on either you or Hiroko; your choice

Tommy

Rachel stares down at you. It's impossible to read her android face, but the panels on her chest flicker and display a rooster, a plus sign, and a lego brick. “She abandoned you.”

She helps you to your feet without further comment; of everyone here, she understands what it's like to know the frailties of the flesh. She has the classroom first aid kit dangling from one arm, so she hands it to you. All it has left is a few bandaids and a roll of stick-gauze.

Vincent

Go ahead and lose Terrified. Because you failed your lash out, gain Frustrated!

You swing at the fleeing merc, but don't connect. Turns out, running away is something they train for.

What they don't train for is for liquidly muscled black death to flow along the ceiling and drop down on them with whirring claws extended. Monomolecular blades make this little sizzling hum as they cut. Femoral arteries. There's a lot of blood in a human body, and the PNTHR lets it out like a styrofoam cup getting the bottom chopped away. Then the PNTHR moves on.

You are covered in blood from head to toe.

Ronnie and he rest of the classroom

You're playing the game when suddenly everything freezes. The screen says, in cheery writing: “Continue 20: Insert Coin” Then it starts counting down. Maybe the Fallen hit its limit? Or maybe it just got bored watching you kill people. Either way, you're pretty sure that only maybe one or two of the mercenaries survived.

And then all hell breaks loose. The door to the classroom is opened by a crazed looking and wet Miss Chuanli, who has codes that override Wang's. Beyond her, students are spilling out into the hall and yelling as they discover dead mercenaries and scenes of violence. Miss Chaunli starts screaming things like “Fire!” and “Evacuation Drill!”

You think that class is probably over for today.

Everyone

You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here. The school is being evacuated. There are dedicated places to evacuate to in case of fire, but you can probably slip away in the panic, if that's what you want.

Where do you go? What do you do?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Vincent Yohloh II
Harm 2/4 | XP 1/5 | Conditions: Delicious, Blamed, Terrified, Frustrated, DARKEST SELF (Sasquatch)

Stop running, you living piece of poo poo! What's the matter, are you sc--

--ah.

Ah-hah...heh...uhhm...

AAAAAAAAHHHHH HOLY poo poo WHERE DID THAT THING COME FROM?!

I think that's enough to shake Vincent out of Darkest Self. I don't think he wanted to turn the guy into puree.

Oh geez, oh geez, there's a giant murder beast stalking the halls and it's going to MURDER me and I'm going to be covered in even MORE blood oh this is bad bad bad this is never going to wash out of my hair what do I do now

Annie! Annie seemed to know what she was doing when the drone came around! I need to find her! I need to find a bathroom to get some of this blood off and then I need to go and find her and try not to run into anybody cause they all probably think I'm a MURDERER thank you very much Jani and this blood is NOT HELPING

Right, bathroom, then Annie, where's a bathroom--

I'm going to roll Run Away to not get caught while, you know, looking like Jack the Ripper.
[22:43:38] <Davin_Valkri> !r 2d6+2
[22:43:38] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 4+2 = 6

--there's a bathroom and there's the classroom and oh hey people are coming out no no no don't look at meeeeeee--!

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Tommy Blackford
Harm 1/4 | EXP 3/5 | Conditions: Blamed, Voyeur,

It takes a moment for the images to sink in, and when they do, I can't help it. I laugh. Today's just been so god drat crazy, and for some reason, that stupid joke just cracks me up. I'm still shaking my head in disbelief at how funny I found that stupid joke. By the time I bandage my arm up, I could probably pass it off as something that happened during the assault on the school. Once I'm done, I look up at her and say, "Thanks. For you know..." I jerk my head towards the desk I partially disassembled. I add, "Let me know if you ever need anything, ok?"

When I get out, I give my parents a call to let them know that I'm ok. Don't want them worrying too much. And if I didn't keep them in the loop, they'd probably try to keep me home tonight. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to the party, even if I have to break out of parental lockdown, but I'd prefer it didn't come to that.

After I let them know I'm alive, I was thinking of waiting for Hiroko, but she's probably going to be with Eva. I just don't want to see that right now. And, yeah, I'm kinda pissed that she just ditched my when I needed her. Especially after all I'd done for her! So much for loyalty... Wait... aren't I forgetting something... poo poo! That loving hitter is going to show up tonight. I groan in frustration. Why me... I flip open my phone and send a message for Hiroko to call me ASAP. It's urgent.

I'm still sulking near the school when I spot Annie slipping out the back of school. Hesitating for only a moment (she was pretty scary yesterday, ok?), I run after her and call for her to wait up. Once I get there, though, I'm not really sure what to say. That video was pretty horrifying, and whatever she did to my console was pretty freaky (and impressive).

Still, it doesn't change that... I just want to know more about what happened. And, if I'm being honest, she's... well, she's kinda cute.

I start by saying, "So... crazy day, huh?" I let out some nervous laughter, but I realize this is just unbearably awkward. So I knuckle down and say, "So, um, about yesterday. That... really was, you, right? On the video, I mean. It was... awful. Those rich assholes were just monsters! It's bullshit how they get to do anything they want because mommy and daddy are big wigs, right?"

Then I spot the remnants of a treated burn on her arm. My hand drifts up to my own arm, and I feel the lumpy bandage covering my fresh wounds. My brow knits as I ask, "Wait, what happened to you? Are you ok?"

Turn on the burn out: 2d6+2 10
Turn around and spend the string to tell Tommy about the burns.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Eva Bai
Harm 3/4 | Exp 1/5 | Conditions: Drained, Paranoid Android, Plebian

The video's deletion is simple. While further information could not be obtained, the mission was accomplished. Note that, while the current situation has been resolved, social algorithms indicate that further encounters with Daniel Gladstone are likely. I must be prepared for them when they happen.

Giving a string to Daniel is Eva's cross to bear, here. She's the crazy bitch that started all this, after all.

I stand up and begin to walk up to Hiroko. Daniel curses as I step over him. This is not currently important. Upon reaching Hiroko I place one arm around her waist and lean heavily into her side. Under normal circumstances this would be a romantic gesture. Currently balance sensors are outputting enough errors that this is necessary to insure an expedient escape from the school.

"It is doubtful that security will allow us to use the school's clinic currently. I assume you know another place we could go?"

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Ronnie Hactar
Harm 0/4 | Exp 0/5

Alright, schools out early! There's probably an evacuation protocol I should follow but that sounds like it would involve a lot of standing around doing nothing somewhere boring. It occurs to me that I haven't heard back from Annie since this whole thing started, and that worries me a little. A lot. I send her a message while I'm ducking out of the stream of students heading for the exits -

@fisher-lee.ani: hey things got crazy there, please tell me you're ok.
@fisher-lee.ani:don't wanna have to add avenging you to my to-do list for tonight

And I duck into the bathroom making excuses about feeling sick from the stress. I'll falsify my attendance at whatever assembly they hold later, it's easier than showing up. And speaking of sick, if it isn't the master of disaster himself! Looking...pretty ropey, I gotta say. Also covered in more gore than I thought possible.

"Uh...wow. You ok there, Yoloh? Is any of that...yours?"

I lock the door to stop anyone else coming in with us for the moment.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Vincent Yohloh II
Harm 2/4 | XP 1/5 | Conditions: Delicious, Blamed, Frustrated

AAAAA IT'S ANOTHER STUDENT HE WASN'T SUPPOSED TO BE IN HERE oh wait it's Ronnie he sounds...surprisingly calm for a...you know.

"Uh, hi Ronnie," I manage to say. Am I still dripping blood? Yes, it's still dripping. Oh my. "Uh...some of it's mine?" You should see the other g-- "AH NO NO BAD THOUGHTS BAD THOUGHTS Ohhhh geez Ronnie I saw a guy get turned into blood puree in front of me and it's not like he didn't deserve it since he was trying to kill me and kidnap one of the girl students but he didn't deserve to go out like that and now there's a murdering cat robot stalking the halls and I really REALLY want to get this stuff off of me! It's starting to get sticky!"

I look towards the back of the bathroom--oh whew, it's a gym bathroom so there's a shower! "Keep the door locked for a few minutes would you? I need to...need to..." I walk to the shower head, stripping off hat, shoes, jacket, shirt and pants as I go. With a flick of the switch the flow comes on and my blood, his blood and some of my pink dye goes down the drain. "...need to...oh, I needed this..." Just need to wash off the blood and maybe that'll help me forget it ever happened...just...

And in my haste to get the blood off I completely forget the privacy curtain...

Do you think Vincent looks good half-naked and covered in the blood of his enemies, Ronnie? Let's find out! Turning Ronnie on!
[20:41:00] <Davin_Valkri> !r 2d6+2
[20:41:00] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 10+2 = 12

Is he looking? He's not looking, is he?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Ani "Annie" Fisher-Lee
Harm 0/4 | Exp 3/5 | Conditions: Burnt Out, Infected

I splutter in indignation as the emergency sprinklers go off, typically spraying everywhere, but mainly at me. As if I didn't have enough to deal with along with whatever viral code got into my system. To be honest, I don't really have a clue how to fix that right now, and I'd rather wait to try and find out until I'm not likely to get burst in on by A. armed corp goons or B. staff looking for someone to blame. So I duck out of the terminal and head towards one of the emergency exits as fast as I can, trying to avoid as many other people as possible.

@Hactar.Ron: made it out alright
@Hactar.Ron: got soaked though :/
@Hactar.Ron: loving typical
@Hactar.Ron: beat the corp hacker at their own game though
@Hactar.Ron: like a boss
@Hactar.Ron: everything ok on ur end

I'm in the middle of replying to Ronnie and slipping out of the building when a voice calls out to me, and I freeze, turning around to see who it is. Tommy. Lovely. Just who I wanted to see, someone looking to rub in my death to me, in my face. You've got nerves Tommy, coming up to me after our little encounter in the terminal.

And then.... he's sympathizing with me? But- isn't he basically one of them? Sure he isn't high enough to be a cloud baby, but its not like he ever couldn't get what he wanted with daddies money, right? But... to have someone recognize it as wrong, someone from above I mean, not to discount Ronnie but it isn't like he was going to support the cloudbabies even if he hadn't seen the video, is... nice. And from someone as good looking as Tommy doesn't hurt.

"Y-yeah. And they got away with it, and now their kids will get away with it too! Not if I can help it though-" I manage to break off of the forming rant for a moment, try to gather my self control and avoid going on to reveal what I did yesterday. Tommy might be sympathetic now, but I doubt he'll be if I admit to killing those girls, even if they did deserve it.

Hold Steady
10:31:34 PM godfish !r 2d6+1
10:31:35 PM Krysmbot godfish, 7+1 = 8
Keeping calm

I manage to segue the sentence from one thought to another without much of a pause. "-like those loving corp goons today, I took out one of their drones, and managed to block the hacker from keeping the alarms shut down!" Here I pause again, a thought hitting me. Isn't Tommy supposed to be a pretty good diver? Maybe he can help me. "Actually, just before I cut them off, I think they got me with some code, you wouldn't know anything about taking care of that would you?" Yeah, keep it smooth Annie.

"Oh... uh..." poo poo, he just had to notice that, didn't he... gently caress. "Actually... I was there with the girls that got fried in the electrical accident. I didn't die, because, uh. Like you saw, I'm already." It takes me a moment to get the words out, I really hate saying it, its like it drives it home, grinds it in, "de- well you saw. Didn't say anything because I don't really want questions asked. Not like I know the answers." I grit my teeth in irritation, then spit off to the side and force a more pleasant expression back to my face.

"So, right. Bad code."

Does this qualify as telling him about the burns? I'll edit it if not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Tommy Blackford
Harm 2/4 | EXP 3/5 | Conditions: Voyeur,

I start to join in when she starts slamming rich kids, but I knit by eyebrows in concern when she tells me how she got the burns. Another time, I might have said they deserved it, but I've seen two people die in two days. So, I just say, "I'm sorry. Look, you don't have to tell me anymore. I get it. Watching people die like that is... horrible. I can't imagine what it was like for you." But she also thinks she got hit by a Corp virus. Those fuckers are dangerous. But, I've watched my dad purge them before. It's not really hard, per se, but...

But I know there's no way I'm going to purge a virus like that without jacking in. I slump my head a little. I really need to give my arms a chance to heal. But, I can't just let whatever she got infected with just sit there and fester. So, I say, "Don't worry. My dad does some security work for a corp, and I've picked it up. Still... I'm going to have to jack into your rig. And, I... um... Well, just don't tell anyone that I jack in like this, ok? I don't want it getting around. And don't worry, I do this all the time." I look around and gesture for her to sit down on a moderately clean stoop in the alley.

God the last time I did this with another person was with... Jen. My stomach flutters a little at the memory, but I clamp down on it. I trusted her, and she sold me out. None of those bullshit emails will make me think differently.

Before I begin, I take a deep breath and lean against the wall behind me to support me while I collect myself. Then, I roll up my sleeve and undo the fresh bandage. The nicks have just stopped bleeding, but they still hurt like a sonofabitch when I put the pins into the nicks. I gently take her hand and hold it while I put the other end of the cable into the jack, saying, "I shouldn't be long."

Turn on the infected: 2d6+2 9
Spiral down into the abyss to root out the infection.: 2d6+4 12
The visions cure me of blamed and show me what I need to do to help Annie, giving me +1 forward

• Locked thread