Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

moosecow333 posted:

One of the bosses in Hades 2 is a band. As you knock out members of the band their instrument will cut from the boss song.

there's a hex that resurrects a dead enemy to fight for you and if you use it on a band member the sound comes back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Pyre owned, actually

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Mierenneuker posted:

Pyre wasn't exactly a slam dunk

It quite literally was. :P

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Mazerunner posted:

there's a hex that resurrects a dead enemy to fight for you and if you use it on a band member the sound comes back

:sbahj:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Cult of the Lamb: You can pet the dog (followers). :3:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mazerunner posted:

You know what can bring the band back together? Several more resurrection hexes!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Leal posted:

You know what can bring the band back together? Several more resurrection hexes!

this worked in scooby doo I don't see why it can't work elsewhere

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dead Island 2 has a whole bunch of unlockable skins for the characters and this limited-time one for Irish heritage Dani got a laugh out of me.

Game's like constantly commenting on the social media age in ways that make you sensibly chuckle instead of cringe, it's wonderfully underrated.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

CJacobs posted:

Dead Island 2 has a whole bunch of unlockable skins for the characters and this limited-time one for Irish heritage Dani got a laugh out of me.

Game's like constantly commenting on the social media age in ways that make you sensibly chuckle instead of cringe, it's wonderfully underrated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5UW76dMdbE

?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
^ Closer than you might think given the game's tone LOL

Some of them are references to video games instead of other pop culture. This is one of my favs.

Play this game if you want to dropkick zombies through beautifully animated glass windows with your customizable paralympics blade leg. That is some buzzword salad I will always gobble up

edit: Plot is quite charming too

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 22:26 on May 11, 2024

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I went to an ice planet in helldivers last night and if you are running on ice and stop you keep sliding for a moment, it's delightful.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
jedi survivor is solidly Fine but there's a part in an optional late-game area that got me good

you can go down into a cave system where enemy jedi routinely taunt you from behind seemingly impassable walls. other jedi are considered boss encounters and there's three of the bastards, so of course you'll have to fight them sooner or later. at the bottom of the caves you find a way to break open the walls, so after making it through the puzzle that shows off the mechanic, you're prepared to fight your way back up and deal with them

then in the next room all three jedi jump you at once

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

sebmojo posted:

I went to an ice planet in helldivers last night and if you are running on ice and stop you keep sliding for a moment, it's delightful.

gently caress Fire Tornadoes forever though.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

crouch and hold still for a couple of seconds on an ice planet in helldivers 2 and you can scoop up snowballs

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

sebmojo posted:

I found this out the hard way when I realized too late I was running directly at a mine. It felt like I was playing Crash Bandicoot for a second.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The second boss of Hades 2 is an all-female rock band, Scylla and the Sirens. They sing their own theme music throughout the encounter, and as you defeat each bandmate, their part cuts out of the track. When you return after beating them for the first time, the frontwoman says they've been working on a new song called "I'm Going to Claw Out Your Eyes and Drown You to Death," which at first you think is just a gag, but is an actual different song with lyrics mocking the main character. It's quite catchy!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like that in Sly 2 the varying hacking minigames have unique gimmick enemies for each level while scattering older ones sparsely enough it just makes you more careful how you deal with their gimmicks, like one level includes enemies that don't fire directly at you, but drop little green pellets that get in the way and you have to shoot them to clear the way, and then they'll drop in one and then two little red turrets so that you have to be more careful to either dodge their projectiles while herding the new enemies, or take them out while dodging the new enemies. It keeps the minigame fresh. I'm now onto the final level on the Blimp with Clock-La flying around. Also sneaking around in the TNT barrels is an amusing objective type.

Also the civil war between Neyla and The Contessa in the Tangled Web chapter was fun.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

The second boss of Hades 2 is an all-female rock band, Scylla and the Sirens. They sing their own theme music throughout the encounter, and as you defeat each bandmate, their part cuts out of the track. When you return after beating them for the first time, the frontwoman says they've been working on a new song called "I'm Going to Claw Out Your Eyes and Drown You to Death," which at first you think is just a gag, but is an actual different song with lyrics mocking the main character. It's quite catchy!

The default song is also a fuckin banger that will not leave my head. "Down, down, king of bones with a coral crown..."

Sandwich Anarchist has a new favorite as of 06:41 on May 14, 2024

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I really like that Animal Well has unique eggs as collectibles, both because it allows for little jokes (like picking up an Egg as a Service), but also because it means it's going to make hunting down the ones I've missed so much easier.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero has a display output setting in its Options menu - so I don't have to futz with Windows or Steam settings if I want to throw it on the TV.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Morpheus posted:

I really like that Animal Well has unique eggs as collectibles, both because it allows for little jokes (like picking up an Egg as a Service), but also because it means it's going to make hunting down the ones I've missed so much easier.

Animal Well has one of my single favorite sly "gently caress you" secrets with those eggs :allears:

super duper secrets behind this spoiler bar: when you collect all 64 unique easter eggs, you can discover a secret bonus puzzle where every eggs has a number written on it in a type of binary with three horizontal lines, stacked on top of each other. They translate to musical notes that you play on a flute. When you crack the code and play the song as-written, nothing happens.

one of the eggs is named upside down egg. it is, in fact, upside down :v:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

With Homeworld 3 coming out I got reminded of Deserts of Kharak, and I'd almost forgotten how good the radio chatter is in that game. Not just when giving orders to units (although that's fantastic too. The dismay in the Basreunner captain's voice if you tell them to attack a battlecruiser is perfect.) but just the idle ambient chatter between your 'ships' and fleet command:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J89RWiZwMgo

It really paints a picture of how difficult the desert is on your gear, and how miserably hot it is out there. Although the line "Someone's piping easy listening over tac 4, we requested something a bit more inspiring" show's it's not all awful :allears:

I hope HW3's chatter is just as good.

Icedude has a new favorite as of 09:21 on May 13, 2024

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
It's hard to think of a game series more atmospheric than the Homeworlds, yeah. I'm really hoping 3 lives up to the legacy.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Hey, Hades 2 is still in pre-release and some of us can't play it. Maybe some spoiler blocks?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Icedude posted:

With Homeworld 3 coming out

So this is why creators are all making Homeworld ships right now?

Just saw Adam Savage 3D print and paint one on youtube.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Curb your enthusiasm tho, because the demo that I played a few weeks ago was very much not up to snuff, and from what I can see of people who are reviewing what's been done since then the medium settings on the game will bring a 4090 to a crawl and the single player campaign really isn't much up to snuff.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Most of the stuff I've seen is positive, aside from them making the same mistake DoK did of having tiny multiplayer maps and not enough game mode options. :shrug:

That and the obligatory "IT'S NOT EXACTLY LIKE HOW I REMEMBERED HW1 :qq:" whinging that'd plague any Homeworld sequel.

Back onto actually good things, the guide that came with Deserts of Kharak is really neat too. Not only does it have a model viewer that shows you how huge the ships are compared to a person, it also has a lot of backstory and worldbuilding not mentioned in the games. Did you know Kiith Somtaaw were actually mostly a religious kiith until the Siidim/Gaalsien wars, and only became miners after? Or that the equatorial deserts of Kharak regularly reach the boiling point of water?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Deserts of Kharak was so good

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cataclysm was the only good Homeworld.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Philippe posted:

Deserts of Kharak was so good

I liked that it kept the large scale of the previous games. The standard lovely little humvee you can build is like the size of a house. Because you can't drive around a 90C desert in a regular lil car

The Lone Badger posted:

Cataclysm was the only good Homeworld.

I say this a lot, but ban this sick filth

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Started playing Air Twister for the Yu Suzuki shooting action, but am blown away by the bonkers Queen-alike soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn_eTMEWnC8

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Air Twister is such a fever dream of a game, I love it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

is that a goddamned attack goose

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Rockman Reserve posted:

There are non-attack geese?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DrBouvenstein posted:

Hey, Hades 2 is still in pre-release and some of us can't play it. Maybe some spoiler blocks?

It released in ea on May 6

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
That sounds like prerelease to me, I’m pretty sure a huge chunk of people who got into Hades either never opted into the EA build or never even heard of it before the full release came out on Switch, so it’s not unreasonable for people to not rush to buy a PC to play the sequel if they played 1 on the PS4 or whatever, or even just wanting to wait because they want the full game.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Rockman Reserve posted:

It's an armored space swan. The prog rock song is about it

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

sebmojo posted:

It released in ea on May 6

Yes, and thus it isn't a full game and people might want to wait for it to be released in full before playing it.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Icedude posted:

Most of the stuff I've seen is positive, aside from them making the same mistake DoK did of having tiny multiplayer maps and not enough game mode options. :shrug:

That and the obligatory "IT'S NOT EXACTLY LIKE HOW I REMEMBERED HW1 :qq:" whinging that'd plague any Homeworld sequel.

Back onto actually good things, the guide that came with Deserts of Kharak is really neat too. Not only does it have a model viewer that shows you how huge the ships are compared to a person, it also has a lot of backstory and worldbuilding not mentioned in the games. Did you know Kiith Somtaaw were actually mostly a religious kiith until the Siidim/Gaalsien wars, and only became miners after? Or that the equatorial deserts of Kharak regularly reach the boiling point of water?
The paper manual that came with the original Homeworld was incredible, even in that era of great manuals. It was like a hundred pages long, had tons of fictional history, sketchings of ingame stuff, tips & hints for all the various ships, just absolutely superb.

While I'm thinking about it, Master of Orion II was another game with a standout manual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zero_Grade posted:

The paper manual that came with the original Homeworld was incredible, even in that era of great manuals. It was like a hundred pages long, had tons of fictional history, sketchings of ingame stuff, tips & hints for all the various ships, just absolutely superb.

IIRC it was hoped that you would read the manual before playing, absorb all that information on your home planet and the various clans and their conflicts and allegiances etc, and then three missions into the game when you get "Kharak is burning," it hits you all the harder.