Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Bottom Liner posted:

To add to this, a big open board map like that is probably nowhere near what you want for Necromunda. It wants a lot of dense terrain and verticality.

That’s not an open map at all. It’s just zone mortalis walls represented by the flat grey printed on the map, much like how the card stock zone mortalis tiles are printed.

Al-Saqr posted:

Thanks man for this explanation.

Fundamentally though is it a fun game? How long is it compared to combat patrol? Is it easy or hard to understand to play?

It’s a very, very fun game that suffers from having lots and lots of books with lots and lots of rules spread across them. Safety’s post is pretty spot on, and if you and your group play it like the hybrid skirmish game / RPG it is, it is hard to beat for fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Al-Saqr posted:

Thanks man for this explanation.

Fundamentally though is it a fun game? How long is it compared to combat patrol? Is it easy or hard to understand to play?

Necromunda is a blast.
I would describe it as a way more Crunchy kill team so its a lil more difficult to understand. Each model is highly customizable, able to choose from a whole host of weapons and armor as well as being able to level up and gain traits. It is also a very vertical game as as you are encouraged to build stages with platforms and pits, because of this each model has many movement options and things that can happen if the get shot and fall down.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
No it's not grid based and the boarding action terrain is good for Necromunda. The board is a bit bigger than Kill Team so you can spread it out a little for larger rooms in the design.

You've mentioned you're a lapsed 40K player right? Necromunda is a bit crunchier, Kill Team is based on current 40k rules while Necromunda is more in line the original 2nd ed ruleset.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It also looks like Hive Secundus is a soft reboot, so everything a new group needs should be there.

I cannot believe the glow-up Orrus spyrers got! And it's brilliant to have them fight dangerous aliens for sport instead of the poor, which always left a bad taste.

Can't wait to see what other suits make it in.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Kill Team is based on current 40k rules...

Not even remotely. It has strategems, secondary objectives, and command points and that's about it. The mechanics and flow of play are entirely different.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
There’s two types of boards from Necromunda, Sector Mechanicus, which is a 4’x4’ map where you should pile as much terrain as possible on to make cool looking and vertical layouts and Zone Mortalis, whic is played on X number (usually 5-7) 1x1’ tiles that have walls on them. Definitely not grid based, as one of my favorite gameplay mechanics is that there is no pre-measuring allowed at any time.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Lumpy posted:

That’s not an open map at all. It’s just zone mortalis walls represented by the flat grey printed on the map, much like how the card stock zone mortalis tiles are printed.

ah good catch. I'm not used to seeing 2d maps replacing 3d walls and such.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

moths posted:

It also looks like Hive Secundus is a soft reboot, so everything a new group needs should be there.

I cannot believe the glow-up Orrus spyrers got! And it's brilliant to have them fight dangerous aliens for sport instead of the poor, which always left a bad taste.

Can't wait to see what other suits make it in.

I mean 'the aristocracy literally hunting the poor for sport' seems like some classic 40k social satire.

But it still kind of works, Spyrers and Genestealers are both parasites that prey on humanity.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Heh heh Secundus dick

Kind of disappointed with the GSC scum, the genestealers look amazing whereas the scum are the old models with new heads? Kind of like the new kill team.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Does Necromunda have a Noble Kids team yet?

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

Shoehead posted:

Heh heh Secundus dick

Kind of disappointed with the GSC scum, the genestealers look amazing whereas the scum are the old models with new heads? Kind of like the new kill team.

totally agreed. The new genestealers are incredible but the genestealer scum look kind of half-assed. You'd think they'd be way more pathetic whereas they just like kind of shabby

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Professor Shark posted:

Only envoys and agents of the nobles so far, plus the new Spyrers.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

moths posted:

And it's brilliant to have them fight dangerous aliens for sport instead of the poor, which always left a bad taste.

I think now more than ever "what if the rich elites hunted and abused the poor for their entertainment" is very topical satire.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Professor Shark posted:

That's the Spyrers everyone is talking about. These guys!

Classically there were four types. These are specifically the Orrus Spyrers, who seem like they'll come two to a box with one of those alien bat-winged Necromundan babies, but the article does mention "We’ll have loads more to show you from Necromunda: Hive Secundus in due course – and more from both the Spyrers and the Malstrain, alongside new ruined Zone Mortalis terrain, and a new book" so maybe they're re-doing all four Spyrers with rules for fielding them as a gang. Appropriately, if they're all huge and separated into a bunch of different boxes they'll be the most expensive gang to collect.

(Given that the Orrus are classically presented as being the biggest and most exagerratedly muscular of the old Spyrer types, maybe there'll just be a second Spyrer box that's two each of the other three types, more reasonably sized. You could definitely do a normal-sized gang sprue with one of each and a lot of gear/posing options and then sell a box with two of that sprue in it.)

Bob Smith posted:

I think now more than ever "what if the rich elites hunted and abused the poor for their entertainment" is very topical satire.

Agreed.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 18, 2024

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

If setting someone on fire, causing them to run around at random and possibly (probably) plummet to their death off a very tall platform sounds like fun, then yes. It is a game where the more over the top and stupid you go the better. I don’t know that I’ve ever laughed as hard playing a game as I have with Necromunda.

It can be hard to understand at times because the rules are occasionally inconsistent or contradictory, and organized poorly across several books. If you need to get every rule interaction exactly correct this may not be a good game for you.

Also, shameless plug: this “season” of our column is me teaching my brother Necromunda. There are other much more helpful articles about the game on Goonhammer, but none as stupid. https://www.goonhammer.com/battle-bros-season-four-chapter-i-necbromunda/

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty confident that spyrers will still be hunting poor folks in the underhive. It'll give them a reason to be in standard necromunda campaigns instead of being relegated to Hive Secundus.

There's not much reason to limit the new genestealers either. Cults are already in the rules, just not these particular ones as of yet.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

Bob Smith posted:

I don't even think it's necessarily gone based on what was said, just that the focus for this box is on rich kids proving to dad that they really deserve that boardroom seat or noble title. Murdering poor people, even gangers, is regular 40k Bullingdon Club stuff. Killing genestealers gets you advancement.

Like I know we say the most dangerous game is man but tbh if they're an option then yeah, genestealers are the most dangerous game

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I meant the rich kids who venture down to the lower levels to kill poors for fun

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Professor Shark posted:

I meant the rich kids who venture down to the lower levels to kill poors for fun

Yes, again, that's these guys, the Spyrers, who in the past were presented as a gang of rich kids who donned high-tech combat harnesses and descended into the Underhive to hunt poors for fun but for the new boxed set are being presented as rich kids who don high-tech combat harnesses and descend into Hive Secondus to hunt genestealers for noble status.

It remains to be seen whether we'll get rules for using them the classic way, or whether the other types of Spyrers will get minis. Currently signs point to "Who knows" and "Signs point to yes for at least one more type of Spyrer getting a mini."

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
So is Segundus like a core kit with some new gangs to play with (using Zone Mortalis rules out of the box) and likely a new campaign setting and new gang tech? I.e. Self contained but not stand-alone?

Unlikely that there will be any changes to the Core Rules in the recent rulebook?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

hoiyes posted:

So is Segundus like a core kit with some new gangs to play with (using Zone Mortalis rules out of the box) and likely a new campaign setting and new gang tech? I.e. Self contained but not stand-alone?

Unlikely that there will be any changes to the Core Rules in the recent rulebook?
I expect that it’s an additional ‘setting’ for Necromunda so it’ll be standalone but also integrated with the rest of it.

It’d mean you have the traditional Underhive for your “regular” gang warfare, Ash Wastes for outdoor action with the addition of vehicles and now Secundus as more of a dungeon crawler.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Bob Smith posted:

That's true, but a lot of people still want to play the "good guys," even inexplicably in Necromunda.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

moths posted:

That's true, but a lot of people still want to play the "good guys," even inexplicably in Necromunda.

Spyrers make a perfect adversary for anyone who considers themselves a "good guy." No moral qualms about killing someone whose reason for being here is to hunt you for sport.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Safety Factor posted:

It has a deceptively low barrier to entry, but soon enough you'll be buying more gangers, terrain, and various miscellaneous weirdos. There are so many weirdos.

Then weirdos are the best part!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
We all love the weirdos here, folks!

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
I watched the presentation on Twitch about Necromunda and there was some cool info in there.

The Magus Biologus Hermiatus tried to cure Genestealer infection, instead getting infected himself, then House Helmawr orbitally bombarded Hive Secundus with missles and the Genestealers got mutated through some combination of that and the Maguses research. So the Malstrain Genestealers are deliberately asymmetric, weaker than pure strain Genestealers and are so “wrong” that hive fleets divert to avoid them.

The Spryers tech is still off world Xenotech that isn’t perfectly suited to humans, so you often need body modification to use it, they mentioned Spryers (probably the Orrus) getting their legs amputated to fit into the suits. Spryer are using the Van Saars treasure hunting as bait for the Stealers to draw them out so they can kill them.

Looks cool, I’m pumped.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

hoiyes posted:

So, it appears there are two things being revealed here, one in full and one partially and by implication.

The thing that has been revealed in full is the Necromunda: Hive Secondus boxed set, which seems to include the following:

-Two (2) Orrus Spyrers and one (1) Caryatid Prime (new kit).
-Eight (8) Van Saar Tek Hunters (new kit).
-Six (6) Malstrain Genestealers and four (4) Malstrain Tyramites, which everyone thought might be Enslavers (new kit).
-Eight (8) Brood Scum (two copies of an existing kit plus a new upgrade sprue).
-One (1) sprue of doors and barricades that shipped with the 2017 Necromunda Underhive boxed set and which has been depreciated/unavailable since GW moved Necromunda to the new modular Zone Mortalis terrain kits.
-One (1) folding cardstock board. Or, I dunno, maybe two boards so you can connect them together in different ways?
-One (1) softcover rulebook which will cover rules for running games where some Orrus Spyrers and some Van Saar Tek Hunters fight some Malstrain Genestealers and Brood Scum in a 2D environment made by sticking those doors and barricades on the cardstock board. This may or may not require the Necromunda core rulebook to use (I would guess it doesn't) and may or may not have rules for putting Spyrers and Malstrain Genestealers into other Necromunda games.
-Some (?) cards, dice, and damage templates.

The thing that has been revealed partially by implication is... the larger product release project of the addition of Hive Secondus to the playable Necromunda area, an area which at the moment consists of Hive Primus (and by extension other normal hives on the planet), the Ash Wastes, and a historical campaign about the fall of Hive Arcos. This seems to consist of the following:

-The above kits, available separately (though they may not be divvied up the way I've done them above once they're in separate boxes).
-At least one more Spyrer kit with contents not included in the box.
-At least one more Malstrain Genestealer kit with contents not included in the box.
-Some new Zone Mortalis terrain themed around broken and hosed-up environments.
-A new hardcover rulebook, with contents that will likely partially but not completely overlap with the contents of the boxed set softcover rulebook and which will probably be bigger.

I would suspect the new hardcover rulebook be a supplement, rather than a new iteration of the Necromunda core rulebook. (EDIT: Actually no, thinking about it expect it'll be self-contained, if only because of the way the trade dress is laid out on the cover.) I would expect it to include gang rules for running Spyrers and Malstrain Genestealers as gangs in normal Necromunda games, as well as rules for importing more of the rest of the Necromunda contents into Hive Secondus expedition/survival campaigns, but if the boxed set softcover rulebook has special rules for some sort of Spyrers and Van Saar vs. Malstrain Genestealers and Brood Scum dungeon-crawl adventure game using the board and terrain in the box, I'd expect the new hardcover rulebook to leave that out, or present it in a different way. I base this on vague memories of the Book of the Outlands supplement, which covered the material from the Necromunda: Ash Wastes boxed set release wave, not including everything from the Necromunda: Ash Wastes softcover rulebook that came with that boxed set. Like, the boxed set softcover rulebook will probably have missions with terrain layouts using the board and terrain in the boxed set, and those bits will be missing from the hardcover rulebook because people who just buy the hardcover rulebook won't have that board and terrain.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 19, 2024

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Stephenls posted:

-At least one more Malstrain Genestealer kit with contents not included in the box.

I reckon more than one is a safe enough guess, they'd be fools not to make a patriarch model for them (preferably with throne), and there's more justification than ever to make a genestealer limo kit...

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Assessor of Maat posted:

I reckon more than one is a safe enough guess, they'd be fools not to make a patriarch model for them (preferably with throne), and there's more justification than ever to make a genestealer limo kit...

I hadn't even considered the possibility of a genestealer limo as the Malstrain vehicle kit. This gets my vote.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

head58 posted:

If setting someone on fire, causing them to run around at random and possibly (probably) plummet to their death off a very tall platform sounds like fun, then yes. It is a game where the more over the top and stupid you go the better. I don’t know that I’ve ever laughed as hard playing a game as I have with Necromunda.

It can be hard to understand at times because the rules are occasionally inconsistent or contradictory, and organized poorly across several books. If you need to get every rule interaction exactly correct this may not be a good game for you.

Also, shameless plug: this “season” of our column is me teaching my brother Necromunda. There are other much more helpful articles about the game on Goonhammer, but none as stupid. https://www.goonhammer.com/battle-bros-season-four-chapter-i-necbromunda/

Lumpy posted:

It’s a very, very fun game that suffers from having lots and lots of books with lots and lots of rules spread across them. Safety’s post is pretty spot on, and if you and your group play it like the hybrid skirmish game / RPG it is, it is hard to beat for fun.

Hihohe posted:

Necromunda is a blast.
I would describe it as a way more Crunchy kill team so its a lil more difficult to understand. Each model is highly customizable, able to choose from a whole host of weapons and armor as well as being able to level up and gain traits. It is also a very vertical game as as you are encouraged to build stages with platforms and pits, because of this each model has many movement options and things that can happen if the get shot and fall down.

thanks guys, will keep this in mind! I'll definitely read the articles you recommended!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Stephenls posted:

-Six (6) Malstrain Genestealers and four (4) Malstrain Tyramites, which everyone thought might be Enslavers (new kit).

We don't know that they're not Enslavers to be fair.

The Malstrain Genestealers are cool models though. Not enough to entice me into dipping a toe into the clusterfuck that is Newcromunda but cool models.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I really hope they do a Malstrain Patriarch, because a Patriarch is the only thing I think I'm missing from my GSC army and I've avoided the current one because I don't wanna paint the pipe :v:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Shoehead posted:

I really hope they do a Malstrain Patriarch, because a Patriarch is the only thing I think I'm missing from my GSC army and I've avoided the current one because I don't wanna paint the pipe :v:

The late 80’s/ early 90’s Patriarch would work lol

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Yeast posted:

Then weirdos are the best part!

Lol whats the name of that final fantasy rear end chimera character that looks really cool!

And yeah ash wastes looks super awesome im a huge fan of mad max, sadly it seems like its too bug of an investment for me right now, i think ill just taste necromunda with secundus and if i end up enjoying it ill double team the experience with an ash wastes set.

The big worry for me now is if this requires a regular playing group its gonna be a huge hassle to wrangle together a regular group, but lets see. Sadly i dont have people in my life who are going to bother with keeping track of equipment loadouts and RPG stats game to game.

But my board game group loves the poo poo out of blackstone fortress so maybe theyll manage this game as well, lets see!

Im still laughing at the idea that necromunda is so poo poo Tyranids dont want to eat it lol.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 19, 2024

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

drat Necromunda just stays so cool. Very excited by the the new models as always, and with the constant support the game gets I would be shocked if we don't get all for kinds of Spyrer eventually.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Lord_Hambrose posted:

drat Necromunda just stays so cool. Very excited by the the new models as always, and with the constant support the game gets I would be shocked if we don't get all for kinds of Spyrer eventually.

what if they make a Spyrer vehicles for Ash Wastes but their vehicles are all Sports car toy models like a lamborghini lol

oh whats this? Necromundas rules and codexes are DIGITAL BOOKS THATS HALF THE PRICE OF THE HARDCOVER?! drat BRO GW IS GOING CRAZY!!!

wow this actually is alot more approachable for me to try it out, I dont have to ship disgusting oversized books to try this game!

Ok I think I'll try Necromunda as my second game instead of AoS, I'm more excited for the concept and I already have 40k as my big army investment game.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 13:51 on May 19, 2024

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Check out Necromundown on YouTube. It's a year old but a decent series on a cost effective entry into the game and points out some aspects that are a bit too expensive/rules complex to use your first time playing a campaign.

Cease to Hope posted:

The Malstrain Genestealers are cool models though. Not enough to entice me into dipping a toe into the clusterfuck that is Newcromunda but cool models.

Well yeah, but previous Enslaver art puts them at 10- 12 feet tall. I'm thinking, if malstrain gets a patriarch, it'll be the Magus that created the strain and they're his take on corrupted servo-skulls.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 19, 2024

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Check out Necromundown on YouTube. It's a year old but a decent series on a cost effective entry into the game and points out some aspects that are a bit too expensive/rules complex to use your first time playing a campaign.

ok thanks will do!

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Kinda wish we could have a White Dwarf team roster to get some of those sick Necromunda models into kill team. I know I could proxy them into an existing team, but they are rad enough to justify a whole team or two. Easy cash grab GW, take my money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Cease to Hope posted:

Nah, they’ve been named as “Malstrain Tyramites”

I guess even bugs get fleas.