Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Grandicap posted:

Since Professor Novis is unable or unwilling to accept my challenge, I will do the next best thing and challenge her mouthpiece and lick-spittle.

##duel Deena\Peramene

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Grandicap and Peramene are in a duel! Please PM me your duel allocations!

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Just so we're clear, you wish to engage me, an uninvolved party, over your completely unjustified - and unbecoming - grievance? Even if you should best me - which you won't - how will our contest address your cause?

As I anticipated, you have no interest in forwarding the cause of justice for this slight you claim your House has suffered.

I hope you realize that regardless of result, Hogwarts faculty (including your own head of house) as well as the entire student body to recognize your preposterous actions for what they are: unwarranted aggression.

I'm no experienced duelist, but I'm not above putting a delinquent in their place. I accept.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

peramene posted:

Just stay the hell out of my greenhouse. Y'know, for your own safety.

Oooh can I check it out sometime? :palmon:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I hope nobody gets hurt from the duel

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
the two combatants face each other off, Deena looking calm, composed and alert, and Grandi smirking, relaxed and with an overly dramatic swagger.

As they get ready to begin permanence draws her trusty wand, ready to cast a spell, while grandicap ignores his wand, and brandishes a burnt out, blackened stump of a twig.
"taste the might of the Elder Wand!" He shouts and thrusts his wand out with a yell of 'what sounded like 'aguamentiarrrgghhh'.

A whooshing sound followed by a bang, and both Deena and Grandicap are flung backwards, completely knocked unconscious. They both are now rushed to the infirmary, where it is hoped they will make a full recovery.

Both players have been reduced to 0HP.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Murmur Twin posted:

Oooh can I check it out sometime? :palmon:

Especially considering your recently increased interest in Herbology, I would be delighted to host you! Just make sure I'm there, so that I can keep you safe from the snappy bitey, yelly, and uh... just plain angry? ones. <3

bowmore posted:

I hope nobody gets hurt from the duel

were it possible, Deena would strike to embarrass rather than wound, but that doesn't seem possible mechanically

preview edit: POSTING FOR POSTERITY ANYWAY

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Worth it.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
The duel a draw or a win via technicality, Deena still manages a wry and bitter smirk: despite the pain, point proven.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

peramene posted:

The duel a draw or a win via technicality, Deena still manages a wry and bitter smirk: despite the pain, point proven.

Your point was to not buy poorly authenticated magical artefacts?

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Grandicap posted:

Your point was to not buy poorly authenticated magical artefacts?

Do you ever shut up? My point was to demonstrate your point and in addition, your reckless stupidity nearly got both of us killed.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Not worth it, lol

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
We'll still look after you Grandi

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I bought an item month 4 and it was burning a hole in my pocket. Totally worth it.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

:rip:

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
[ooc: fantastic move imo, delighted to be a part of it]

gently caress you. Nurse, could I be moved to a different bed, please? This idiot tried to kill me.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOpCOz-vc2g

VivaNova
Sep 12, 2009

The most epic adventure ever undertaken
Professor Novis was anxious for her year of substitute instruction at Hogwarts to conclude, so she could return to her family, her cozy country cottage, and her true (and much more profitable) passion- the purveying of fine greenery and bespoke fungi. To that end she was cleaning out her desk when she noticed her supply of quality magical rolling papers was completely depleted! But how? Novis was quite sure she had given her last detainee, that odd Slytherin girl, the task of cutting up her own mischievous little notebook into papers along with other chores around the greenhouse. Novis even recalled that Evergreen had actually set about the punishment with surprising enthusiasm...

Suddenly Novis regretted allowing Evergreen access to the greenhouse unattended. She tottered over to the far end and waved her wand over a huge exotic bloom while whispering In Deo vegetativum. The petals responded immediately, unfurling slowly and majestically. But where usually Novis would see her boiled mandrakes, fly agaric and dankest buds, there was instead a single small square of paper which read:

Thanks for the herbology lessons!
[tree emoji]

Novis sighed. She had no doubt that Evergreen had dispersed or consumed her precious goods by now. She just hoped the girl had the good sense not to try to hug the Whomping Willow! Shaking her head, Novis' only consolation was she was pretty sure Evergreen's friend, that snooty French girl, had a replacement for the papers at least.

## detention lord of 'ats
##confiscate notes

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

It's come to my attention that the student body has not only been at each others throats over the exams, but that a portion of students have been dealing with illicit drugs in this very school! This will not be tolerated! We're not going to sit by and let this happen! Mulberry Evergreen, you're coming with me for a long talk about the materials you've been procuring!

##Demand Detention Mulberry Evergreen

And I will not be surprised one bit if this is all part of the harassment over the coming exams! If this is supposed to be the best choice you've made...

##Confiscate Holistic Notes

##Approve Professor Novis

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Celestine (hats) has been sent to detention!
Professor Novis finds some more suspicious notes in Celestine's possession and confiscates them!

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Mulberry has been sent to detention!
Mudd searches for exam cheating contraband but didn't find what he's looking for.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I see how the chips have fallen. Such is life. First, let's sort out the double talk.

##detention Nintholemew

##confiscate Creevy's Notes

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

##veto Professor Podima

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Tsk Tsk

##Demand Detention Paris Mudd

##Confiscate Intelliquill

##Approve Professor Podima

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Nintholemew had been sent to detention! Podima confiscates a strange looking map!

Paris (khedive) had been sent to detention!
Burgundy didn't find any kind of enchanted quill, however.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Meinberg, I am DEEPLY disappointed. At first I think our issues are settled, and then I find that you are continuing to sully my good name with disgusting LIES about my character.

There is only one way to settle this.

##duel Meinberg

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Do you have any proof of these accusations, or are you just returning to your favorite bullying victim?

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

As we are coming to a close on this year, I'm saddened that nobody has come close to solving the secret message half a year ago. It will teach me next year to give you all puzzle that are more intuitive to solve. But that will be next year. For now, I'll explain the steps to uncovering the secret message.

Many of you who looked at the purple characters in the letter were not wrong in paying attention to them. However, the letter was not important to solving the puzzle; it's where the purple letters are within groups of five. I've mentioned as your hint that counting the letters by five would help you uncover a pattern. This is how.

Now if you were a cryptographic bent, you could simply assign a random letter in each five-letter group, based on the pattern of red and purple letters. and from there try to decode the message from there. However there's a cipher put in place to solve that for you. The cipher is taken almost entirely from the Bacon Substitution Cipher, but with purple letters instead of bolded letters.

Using the Bacon Cipher on the second and third pages of the letter would reveal:

pre:
DEARESTBIANCATHECHANCETHATEXAMSAREDONEMEETMEATTWELVE

ATTHEFLORENTINEBAKERYTHENLEAVE

FORTHEFTPROCTORPARKSOWECANCATCHUPJOLF
From there, you can simply put spaces between the words, and get the message. But that alone would've been enough to solve the puzzle.

Well! Happy new year all and enjoy your vacation!

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

CCKeane posted:

Meinberg, I am DEEPLY disappointed. At first I think our issues are settled, and then I find that you are continuing to sully my good name with disgusting LIES about my character.

There is only one way to settle this.

##duel Meinberg

Keane has challenged Barius ( meinberg) to a duel! Both contenders please PM me their allocations

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

Do you have any proof of these accusations, or are you just returning to your favorite bullying victim?

Meinberg thought my gentle nature meant he could pick on me. If you will recall, he opened mocked me simply for getting breakfast.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Good Lord, we've come full circle, haven't we?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

CCKeane posted:

Meinberg thought my gentle nature meant he could pick on me. If you will recall, he opened mocked me simply for getting breakfast.

You already dueled him over that and won. Twelve months ago. How does that justify this new aggression?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Ninth Layer posted:

going by how detentions are thrown around I don't think proof is something anyone needs

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

bowmore posted:

going by how detentions are thrown around I don't think proof is something anyone needs

So don't pretend to a moral high road. If you guys want to bully Meinberg just be up front about it.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

You already dueled him over that and won. Twelve months ago. How does that justify this new aggression?

It, however, strongly disrupts your accusations of Meinberg being a continual target for bullying - if you recall Meinberg was the clear aggressor, and here he SULLIES MY GOOD NAME.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

CCKeane posted:

It, however, strongly disrupts your accusations of Meinberg being a continual target for bullying - if you recall Meinberg was the clear aggressor, and here he SULLIES MY GOOD NAME.

The only thing disrupted here is your flimsy, untruthful accusation this month.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Ninth Layer posted:

So don't pretend to a moral high road. If you guys want to bully Meinberg just be up front about it.
I'm sorry but the pastry war has not been resolved yet

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Keane charges into the duel flinging spells around with some strength! His first spells are ineffectual, and Barius strikes Keane with a nasty charm to the shoulder towards the end, but Keane emerges as victorious!

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Month 12 Results
No house was awarded points!

Month 12 Event 1 - By our powers combined - DOUBLE DUEL
With the end of the year imminent, it seemed like the entire school turned up to see who had the best example of a stupify spell. Perhaps they wanted to learn some tips for the upcoming exams, or perhaps they just wanted to see some rivals make fools of themselves. While the Ravenclaws pored over books for last minute tips, the slytherins took to more practical warmups, and while they were unpacking their prestige duelling robes, a swarm of bees, midges and avrious other stinging insects came charging out, causing havoc on Aedon, Canem and Tobias!
With three Slytherins limping up to the infirmary, their showing in the duel was sorely lacking. The Gryffindors laughed uproariously at the poor display of wandwork from the remaining Slytherins and Ravenclaws, and all agreed that Chao's stupefy spell on a poor Ravenclaw was a fine example of a spell, but it was Edwin's spell that caused all to look on in awe, as poor Ella was stricken for a good 5 minutes without being able to move!

Gryffindor was awarded +60 points!
Hufflepuff was awarded +20 points!

Covok and Chaoslord may each designate 1 statistic to increase!

Month 12 Quidditch Ravenclaw vs Hufflepuff
And so the final game of the season arrived! The students traipsed out to the spectator stands keen to see if Ravenclaw could pull of an upset win, or if Hufflepuff could cement their 2nd place!
They needn't have bothered.
Only a single Ravenclaw even showed up to the pitch, and he wasn't even in his gear he just said simply "We forfeit, this is a dumb sport anyway".
Many boos and unchoice words were shouted at the cowards, but the end result was not in doubt, with an embarrassing forfeit victory going to Hufflepuff!

Hufflepuff have won +40 points!

House Points as of the end of Month 12:

Slytherin: 585
Gryffindor: 505
Ravenclaw: 375
Hufflepuff: 355

busb fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy