Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

BabyRyoga posted:

If you use an actual cable, the latency is basically non-existent. Pretty much every top player who plays with a Quest 2 or Quest 3 plays this way, as far as I know, with the occasional standalone player.

I still feel it.

The problem isn't that it exists. Its that if you are sensitive to it at all, there is no way to 100% get rid of the latency. The problem is doubled if you played beat saber previously on a wired steamvr headset then moved to a stand alone of any kind.

All the new kids playing, have no idea what zero latency vr feels like. This includes most of the current top folks.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Thoom posted:

I believe you (since I'm not going to buy a cable to check), but that's baffling to me. The bulk of the added latency from using VD/AirLink is from encoding/decoding (15-20ms combined), which should be the same on wired link. Network transmission is usually only 5-6ms.

I guess I haven't run into many of the maps that require specific PC-exclusive stuff because I'm still stuck at Expert and the bulk of the community is at E+ or higher.

It might be basically the same, I actually haven't even tried a non-wired link yet, I don't believe my router is ideal for it.

I'm just a sucker for all the additional mods, even though a lot of the more visually impressive ones will probably distract you from scoring your best. Easy offset was a life saver, though i'm sure you could find a way to convert what the mod does to actual saber settings, write the values down, and just use them in standalone. A better version of JD fixer is also a life saver. I don't know if beat leader works on standlone yet, either.

Also, I should point out, when I was playing standalone, my play session usually ended whenever the battery died, which took about 70-100 minutes. Since switching to PCVR with a cable a few weeks ago, i've never made it to a battery low message, and I think i've done close to a 3-hour session at least once. This won't be an issue if you have a battery pack, but it's kinda nice to not need to worry about that. For health an safety reasons, it prob isn't good to go much longer than 3 hours or so anyways.

EbolaIvory posted:

I still feel it.

The problem isn't that it exists. Its that if you are sensitive to it at all, there is no way to 100% get rid of the latency. The problem is doubled if you played beat saber previously on a wired steamvr headset then moved to a stand alone of any kind.

All the new kids playing, have no idea what zero latency vr feels like. This includes most of the current top folks.

I guess it's just been way too long since I have used my Rift S. I'd like to plug it back in sometime, but I would need to buy controllers for it which might be hard to come by these days.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 8, 2024

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

BabyRyoga posted:

It might be basically the same, I actually haven't even tried a non-wired link yet, I don't believe my router is ideal for it.

I'm just a sucker for all the additional mods, even though a lot of the more visually impressive ones will probably distract you from scoring your best. Easy offset was a life saver, though i'm sure you could find a way to convert what the mod does to actual saber settings, write the values down, and just use them in standalone. A better version of JD fixer is also a life saver. I don't know if beat leader works on standlone yet, either.

Also, I should point out, when I was playing standalone, my play session usually ended whenever the battery died, which took about 70-100 minutes. Since switching to PCVR with a cable a few weeks ago, i've never made it to a battery low message, and I think i've done close to a 3-hour session at least once. This won't be an issue if you have a battery pack, but it's kinda nice to not need to worry about that. For health an safety reasons, it prob isn't good to go much longer than 3 hours or so anyways.

I guess it's just been way too long since I have used my Rift S. I'd like to plug it back in sometime, but I would need to buy controllers for it which might be hard to come by these days.

Its just edge case honestly. Normal rear end people won't notice.

I mean if you're used to a slight latency from the jump you dont know any better ya know?

But when you have literally thousands of hours on a wire, and move to a system like the quests for wireless, theres some serious whiplash with latency. (And on usb/wire to some extent)

Vive wireless tho? Can't feel a loving difference. That poo poo was magic and HTC is really the only company to get wireless pcvr right.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 8, 2024

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
FWIW I've had an OG Vive since the beginning and while yes there is a latency difference it's not nearly what I expected it to be. The first time I played Beat Saber over Air Link after getting my Q2 I was doing it for a laugh, figuring while it had been fine for Alyx there was no way it'd be usable for BS. Instead, my Vive hasn't been used since.

I'm certainly not a high level player, but still.

It's weird, I can't play Payday 2 or American Truck Sim over Steam Link flat screen but I have no problem playing those same games in VR over Air Link.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 9, 2024

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

wolrah posted:

FWIW I've had an OG Vive since the beginning and while yes there is a latency difference it's not nearly what I expected it to be. The first time I played Beat Saber over Air Link after getting my Q2 I was doing it for a laugh, figuring while it had been fine for Alyx there was no way it'd be usable for BS. Instead, my Vive hasn't been used since.

I'm certainly not a high level player, but still.

It's weird, I can't play Payday 2 or American Truck Sim over Steam Link flat screen but I have no problem playing those same games in VR over Air Link.

Yeah and unless you're a good/high end player, it wont matter.

I can play easy slow poo poo no problem. Its when you get into the newer upper EX+ and you actually care about score it matters.

Casual players ain't super bothered about it.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
This all just made me think of setting the latency on guitar hero(2?) back in the day with an early LCD screen. Almost maxed it out.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
One thing where the latency might matter on Beat Saber, maybe songs that are mapped over-zealously with NJS in mind? Since the game doesn't have timing windows like more 'standard' rhythm games, it can get pretty jank when you have NJS over 21 or so.

This was a much bigger problem 4/5 years ago, I know I absolutely HATED it and thought it ruined the game when I first started playing. But the mappers have gotten much better at not needlessly ramping up to like 22, 23 NJS on songs these days, i've noticed. There seems to be accepted guidelines that most mappers follow, and there is at least JD Fixer to help out.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

BabyRyoga posted:

One thing where the latency might matter on Beat Saber, maybe songs that are mapped over-zealously with NJS in mind? Since the game doesn't have timing windows like more 'standard' rhythm games, it can get pretty jank when you have NJS over 21 or so.

This was a much bigger problem 4/5 years ago, I know I absolutely HATED it and thought it ruined the game when I first started playing. But the mappers have gotten much better at not needlessly ramping up to like 22, 23 NJS on songs these days, i've noticed. There seems to be accepted guidelines that most mappers follow, and there is at least JD Fixer to help out.

Has nothing to do with NJS.

Bondematt posted:

This all just made me think of setting the latency on guitar hero(2?) back in the day with an early LCD screen. Almost maxed it out.

Its very much similar. The people who don't think its a huge deal have no sensitivity to it.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

EbolaIvory posted:

Has nothing to do with NJS.

I understand that it is mostly a habit thing. I think I had the same issue with IIDX at some point when I was playing on a Plasma TV (albeit a good one with regards to latency) and tried to go back to a CRT, which is "better", but struggled because I had been playing on Plasma for a couple of years at that point.

But where I think NJS might matter, is it causes the windows during which you can slice a block to shrink and feel inconsistent. I think that perhaps even when being acclimated to a different level of latency isn't a factor, playing with more latency might jankify those higher NJS somgs even more so.

I sometimes wonder what Beat Saber would feel like if they found some way to standardize the NJS and or eliminate it completely.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
The bigger NJS thing is that older maps were inconsistently timed, and ALSO had high NJS / very short timing windows, so that would make playing feel inconsistent.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Man sometimes vr just leads to the weirdest awesome experiences. I was on Bigscreen and joined a euro league room. Bunch of UK types, many who know each other. The game ended almost right away so now I’m watching Eurovision with them and god drat if it don’t feel like I’m in a pub right now.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
poo poo, I wanna have a VR eurovision watch party

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
I’ve never seen it before. Good way to start!

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

BabyRyoga posted:

I understand that it is mostly a habit thing. I think I had the same issue with IIDX at some point when I was playing on a Plasma TV (albeit a good one with regards to latency) and tried to go back to a CRT, which is "better", but struggled because I had been playing on Plasma for a couple of years at that point.

But where I think NJS might matter, is it causes the windows during which you can slice a block to shrink and feel inconsistent. I think that perhaps even when being acclimated to a different level of latency isn't a factor, playing with more latency might jankify those higher NJS somgs even more so.

I sometimes wonder what Beat Saber would feel like if they found some way to standardize the NJS and or eliminate it completely.

NJS being different depending on song, bpm, and a few other factors is important to the feel of the map. Sometimes thats faster, sometimes thats slower.

Frankly NJS hasn't been an issue for a long time. People have generally figured out what feels right for the map they are making.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Enderzero posted:

Man sometimes vr just leads to the weirdest awesome experiences. I was on Bigscreen and joined a euro league room. Bunch of UK types, many who know each other. The game ended almost right away so now I’m watching Eurovision with them and god drat if it don’t feel like I’m in a pub right now.

How does Bigscreen work? can you just search for rooms to watch stuff in with people you don't know? I'm kind of curious about that as an experience. I wouldn't mind watching the last day of the league in VR maybe, dunno if I can get to the pub.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Von Linus posted:

How does Bigscreen work? can you just search for rooms to watch stuff in with people you don't know? I'm kind of curious about that as an experience. I wouldn't mind watching the last day of the league in VR maybe, dunno if I can get to the pub.

Yeah, you can make public rooms and they show up in the browser. You can of course make private rooms too if you have friends who want to join.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

wolrah posted:

American Truck Sim

I’ve been playing the hell out of this in VR. Having it in 3D gives it a nice boost that prevents the game from being too monotonous. Very impressed with how detailed the game is. Driving in so cal and seeing skaters doing tricks at the skate park. Seeing hot air ballons, vintage biplanes, tumbleweeds, big car wrecks, seeing realistic model cars, accurate signage, and all the options for truck customization and trailers. I’m waiting for the DLC to go on sale then i’m buying half a dozen states. And the intenet music streams are the shiz.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

MeatRocket8 posted:

I’ve been playing the hell out of this in VR. Having it in 3D gives it a nice boost that prevents the game from being too monotonous. Very impressed with how detailed the game is. Driving in so cal and seeing skaters doing tricks at the skate park. Seeing hot air ballons, vintage biplanes, tumbleweeds, big car wrecks, seeing realistic model cars, accurate signage, and all the options for truck customization and trailers. I’m waiting for the DLC to go on sale then i’m buying half a dozen states. And the intenet music streams are the shiz.

This sounds fun and I can't believe I never tried it. Are you using a controller or do you have a whole wheel setup?

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023
Completed Gorn, it was a great time

I am fight

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

explosivo posted:

This sounds fun and I can't believe I never tried it. Are you using a controller or do you have a whole wheel setup?

I’m using an xbox gamepad. Its sufficient. Most buttons can have dual functions by holding down buttons so I can do essential stuff like cruise control and changing music station presets.

But i’m definitely considering a wheel, for this, and racing sims like Project Cars 2.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Anyone tried out PianoVision with a digital piano?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Parallelwoody posted:

Anyone tried out PianoVision with a digital piano?

I did, it works perfectly and with no latency.

It instantly recognized my Yamaha which had a USB-B printer-style port in the back, so I got a 15ft B-to-C cable on Amazon for a few bucks: https://www.amazon.com/Printer-Replacement-Keyboards-Printers-Compatible/dp/B0C2BLD87W/

All I needed to do was slightly tweak the AR overlay that draws the notes over the real keys of the piano in passthrough, which took a few seconds. This was all when it first came out and I assume the app is even better now.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

MeatRocket8 posted:

I’m using an xbox gamepad. Its sufficient. Most buttons can have dual functions by holding down buttons so I can do essential stuff like cruise control and changing music station presets.

But i’m definitely considering a wheel, for this, and racing sims like Project Cars 2.

Not to kill your wallet, but Automobilista 2 is a racing sim based on the same engine as PC2, and works amazingly well in VR (although a bunch of sims are ok - good in VR). If you like that sort of thing a pedal/wheel setup and VR is so loving good.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I wish trying to use VR in beamng didn't immediately crash the game for me. :(

Granted they do warn you that VR support is extremely unstable.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

MeatRocket8 posted:

I played a bit of this today and it's fun! I managed to park a truck by backing up into a spot the first try and that felt good. Doing the ol look left, right, then left again before pulling out into traffic reeeeally makes my VR legs go wobbly though. It's been a while so I probably just need to get reacclimated but blerg

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
For anyone who has forgotten about EmuVR after the dev stopped updating the website and wiki, on discord the community added a mod to add custom rooms and objects, there's hundreds if not thousands of items that people have added. Here's some guy showing a few of the things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0HeOIc6Jp0

Some people have spent a lot of hours making their own bedrooms in VR with Q2's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XySzTldvgQQ

The latest update with the UGC mod installed lets you put virtual VPX cabs in your room/level playable if VPX is running on your PC. As well as all MAME SNES and Megadrive, PSX, Dreamcast etc.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL5jqtYaHug
I hope you can play this in a exercise bike

https://www.reddit.com/r/virtualreality/comments/1cswnir/multimonitor_support_in_virtual_desktop_thank_you/
Multimonitor support in VD

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 07:53 on May 16, 2024

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Quick note because this tripped me up. Right now multi monitor is only in beta, need to install the beta desktop program... But also need to switch the app in the quest to the beta stream before it'll update (go to the details of the app, there's an option for release stream to use). It won't work if there's a mismatch between the two.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

squirrelzipper posted:

Not to kill your wallet, but Automobilista 2 is a racing sim based on the same engine as PC2, and works amazingly well in VR (although a bunch of sims are ok - good in VR). If you like that sort of thing a pedal/wheel setup and VR is so loving good.

I got a bunch of VR supported racing sims from those humble bundles. Two asetto corsica games, r factor, dirt rally, nascar heat, and Automobilista 2. But a lot of them just don’t control well on a gamepad, while Project Cars 2 does. But if I get a racing wheel then will be trying them all again.

Many moons ago I bought a nice wheel and pedal setup just to play the Need For Speed Motor City Online mmo racing game, then they shut it down 2 months later!

MeatRocket8 fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 17, 2024

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

explosivo posted:

I played a bit of this today and it's fun! I managed to park a truck by backing up into a spot the first try and that felt good. Doing the ol look left, right, then left again before pulling out into traffic reeeeally makes my VR legs go wobbly though. It's been a while so I probably just need to get reacclimated but blerg

The double trailers are a mindfuck. But yeah they have smartphone games thats just about parking 18 wheelers. It’s a fun challenge.

One job in ATS, I was hauling mining materials up a steep hill and just could not make it. Now my mighty volvo has 500hp, and can practically win drag races when its not connected to a trailer.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

MeatRocket8 posted:

I got a bunch of VR supported racing sims from those humble bundles. Two asetto corsica games, r factor, dirt rally, nascar heat, and Automobilista 2. But a lot of them just don’t control well on a gamepad, while Project Cars 2 does. But if I get a racing wheel then will be trying them all again.

Many moons ago I bought a nice wheel and pedal setup just to play the Need For Speed Motor City Online mmo racing game, then they shut it down 2 months later!

Automobilista 2 has the same controller support as Project Cars 2, being built on the same engine and all.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Zero VGS posted:

I did, it works perfectly and with no latency.

It instantly recognized my Yamaha which had a USB-B printer-style port in the back, so I got a 15ft B-to-C cable on Amazon for a few bucks: https://www.amazon.com/Printer-Replacement-Keyboards-Printers-Compatible/dp/B0C2BLD87W/

All I needed to do was slightly tweak the AR overlay that draws the notes over the real keys of the piano in passthrough, which took a few seconds. This was all when it first came out and I assume the app is even better now.

Thanks for that rabbit hole and tacking on another "something I want to do" to my never ending list.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

So I did it and it's pretty great. The overlay only took a little bit of tweaking and now I'm running custom midi songs through the software to play on the piano. Only downside is I can't figure out how to get the sound to play through the piano vs the headset, but it's minor.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Parallelwoody posted:

So I did it and it's pretty great. The overlay only took a little bit of tweaking and now I'm running custom midi songs through the software to play on the piano. Only downside is I can't figure out how to get the sound to play through the piano vs the headset, but it's minor.

Did you... turn the volume up on your piano, and turn down the in-game piano sound? That should be it. Unless your piano is actually a "MIDI Controller" which usually don't generate their own sounds.

If you want the game to send MIDI notes to the Piano to play on it's own instrument engine, I don't think that's a supported thing.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Anyone got a referral for Ultimate Swing Hot Shots Golf With Everyone VR?

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Yep, here you go:

https://www.oculus.com/appreferrals/Wintermutant/5173957905975637/?utm_source=oculus&utm_location=3&utm_parent=frl&utm_medium=app_referral

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

Did you... turn the volume up on your piano, and turn down the in-game piano sound? That should be it. Unless your piano is actually a "MIDI Controller" which usually don't generate their own sounds.

If you want the game to send MIDI notes to the Piano to play on it's own instrument engine, I don't think that's a supported thing.

I was just dumb and forgot I had headphones plugged in. Overall, it really does work nicely and the ability to import custom songs into the headset with MIDI files gives it a lot of legs. There's a ton of random stuff for free that's easy to find. Only actual downside I can see is needing a hub plugged into the headset to charge and connect to the piano at the same time, but I'm nowhere near the skill level needed to play long enough to run through a full charge.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Getting an invalid link, amigo.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Hmm, try it without all the stuff tacked on at the end:

https://www.oculus.com/appreferrals/Wintermutant/5173957905975637/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Weird, when I tried both on my phone, it took me to a page that says you recommend it, and I click "launch in app." That takes me to the game page but it doesn't apply your recommendation or discount.

And so I opened it on my laptop and it straight up says "Invalid Link" on the Oculus web page.