Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

ive never been a moar powa guy but once the warranty is up mine is getting a flash. the factory tuning makes it just fall flat on its face above 10,000 rpm. which is pretty low, you know, since it redlines at 15,000 rpm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

yeah my goal was sv-like power with an inline 4 and slightly more aggressive ergos. a tune is a requirement, but I might be able to hold off and do it in the winter.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm, my front TPMS sensor is starting to intermittently disappear and I'm not sure whether the PO ever replaced it since the bike was new in 2014 so I guess my new project is to proactively swap out both.

Looks like woodyswheelworks.com has a known-good aftermarket alternative to the OEM part and there's a chance that I can do the pairing without having to trek to the dealer or fork out for a 911, so I think the only thing I need to do is to actually learn how to work with tires now.

I've never actually tried to change or install a tire, but from all accounts it doesn't look all that complicated. I'm not even sure I need to completely pull the tire, just unseat it enough to get into the rim and work on the TPMS.

Ideally if I can manage that and not rotate the actual tire on the rim itself, re-balancing shouldn't be an issue, right?

Like I said, never really worked with tires, but not out of trepidation -- just always had the shop do it because I didn't want to deal with fighting getting rubber on without the right tools.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

opengl posted:

There's no way I could resist a flash on one of those with how neutered they are from the factory.

I had the same assumption before I picked mine up but honestly it’s not really that bad in normal riding. Peak power hits somewhere around 11k on the stock tune and is just flat from there to redline. It revs fast so you just get a quick steady push from 11k to 14k instead of a surge in power but :shrug: whatever.

If you intend to track it, absolutely, but on the street it’s fine. You’re still breaking speed limits at redline in 2nd or 3rd.

I’ll end up flashing mine at some point but mostly to smooth out some minor janky emissions stuff in the fuel and throttle position mapping. I couldn’t care less about adding more power.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

thats interesting about the mapping because i feel like mine is fueled pretty well. my only other experiences on FI bikes are two elderly triumphs though so idk. mine just feels like it really starts to wake up at 10k only to just rev higher and not make much more power above that.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

Arson Daily posted:

thats interesting about the mapping because i feel like mine is fueled pretty well. my only other experiences on FI bikes are two elderly triumphs though so idk. mine just feels like it really starts to wake up at 10k only to just rev higher and not make much more power above that.

That's also probably due to the lower Max hp output also. High rpm gets you to peak power (at least on non flashed ecu's) but then there isn't much left to give once you hit that power band. You hit that Max output and it's just flat from there.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

some internet bike reviewer (either revzilla or f9) claimed that the ecu was slowly closing the throttle bodies as the rpms increased above a certain point on US bikes so the revs would increase but it wouldnt make any more power. idk if thats true but thats what ive heard.

Arson Daily fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 20, 2024

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
This guy did some data logging if you’re interested in what’s going on with the stock map(skip to about 2:00 for results):
https://youtu.be/90nyj_g3vms?si=Y1b1vnoH6Ry7RNT0

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

i've been poking around the various forums for the bike although the quality of content compared what i remember from the heyday of svrider is not great.

Mainly trying to get an idea of what tunes are out there and who might be a good fit for tuning a mechanically bike to just unlock the power that perhaps should have been there without impacting reliability or street manners.

Seems like they all end up around the same place, power wise, so it's more about what stock sensors/emissions controls are left in place (which to be honest I'd rather keep unless there is a noticeable difference in rideability).

Theoretically, tuning is still a bit in the future but if any of you have experience with a USA tuner for the zx4rr, I'd appreciate it.

From what i saw, there's a number of tuners discussed, including vcyclenut, 2 wheel dyno works, graves (ofc), and others.

Is this something that I should be looking more local for? I've never had a tune on any of my vehicles, so I'm not sure what the process really is. For most of the vendors above, I end up shipping my ECU off to them to get flashed.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah if it was me I'd be looking for someone to apply the stock Not In North America tune, if that's a thing at all. There's no "perhaps", the bike is built for ~76 hp all day erry day but the North American ECU puts a big elbow in the torque curve at 11500 rpm that artificially limits the power. They say it's to meet noise regulations.

That's not to say Kawasaki Canada wouldn't void my warranty if I'd had the "real" stock tune applied and the drat thing grenaded under me, even if one had nothing to do with the other. I figure I'd probably take the risk because gently caress Kawi for nerfing it so bad in the first place, but obviously it ain't my bike.

Phy fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 16, 2024

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
From my neck of the woods

I'm very angry about this one

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Autopilot and similar need to be straight up banned. Revisit in a decade if manufacturers can prove in controlled tests that it actually works.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Collateral Damage posted:

Autopilot and similar need to be straight up banned. Revisit in a decade if manufacturers can prove in controlled tests that it actually works.

I think the biggest problem is calling it "autopilot." If they just described it as Adaptive Cruise Control Plus or something, then maybe people would stop thinking they can read books and take a nap while driving.

My Grand Cherokee has regular adaptive cruise and if I take my hands off the wheel for a minute it sounds an alarm in the entire car (or more likely freaks out for no reason because my dry lizard hands aren't generating a charge it can register). Even fuckin trains require the driver push a button every few seconds to indicate they're still there and paying attention, and they can only go in one direction.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Yeah, this is a hard problem in general. I work in the manufacturing automation space, and there's still an operator who is responsible for ensuring the system is doing what it's supposed to. Ironically, the better the product performs, the less human interaction is needed, the more the operator settles into complacency, the worse the outcome when something goes awry.

I've heard former secret service agents say the job is "long stretches of boredom punctuated by moments of extreme stress". It's easy to say "well drivers should just always pay attention" but we're all human and eventually our trust in the system will erode our attention span.

For the record, I do think the driver should have been paying attention, and I agree that autopilot is a stupid marketing name.

When a Tesla is in autopilot mode, does it not check that the driver is paying attention and prompt them?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

epswing posted:

When a Tesla is in autopilot mode, does it not check that the driver is paying attention and prompt them?

It does but one of their selling points is it does this less than most other driver assist systems do.

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

bsamu posted:

Theoretically, tuning is still a bit in the future but if any of you have experience with a USA tuner for the zx4rr, I'd appreciate it.

From what i saw, there's a number of tuners discussed, including vcyclenut, 2 wheel dyno works, graves (ofc), and others.

I've never heard anything bad about 2 Wheel Dyno Works tunes. They'll set you up to work with your stock equipment. I was considering them for my Ninja 400, but I went with Norton Motorsports instead. They don't have a ZX4R tune, though

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

taco_fox posted:

I've never heard anything bad about 2 Wheel Dyno Works tunes. They'll set you up to work with your stock equipment. I was considering them for my Ninja 400, but I went with Norton Motorsports instead. They don't have a ZX4R tune, though

Maybe they haven't been asked yet. :getin:

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

epswing posted:

Yes. But something that you could (still can?) bypass with a lump of playdough.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

Horse Clocks posted:

Yes. But something that you could (still can?) bypass with a lump of playdough.

Hell one of the more recent justrolledin Vids had some min bracket/clamps that people put on the wheel to bypass the hands on the wheel alert for Teslas.

As the OHSA thread has shown over and over , some idiot always bypasses the safety for 'convenience'.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Iirc "hands on wheels" just checks that there's a tiny bit of resistance against movement so putting any weight on one of the wheel spokes will fool it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I’ve seen people wedge bottled water in there and it lets you go forever essentially

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

that is why whenever im riding and encounter a tesla i gtfo as quickly and safely as possible. gently caress those cars. people will also believe whatever marketing bullshit theyre fed because i once had a bazinga flight attendant try to convince me that since aircaft autopilots worked so well tesla autopilot should be even better since it only has to work in 2 dimensions. unbelievable

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Arson Daily posted:

that is why whenever im riding and encounter a tesla i gtfo as quickly and safely as possible. gently caress those cars. people will also believe whatever marketing bullshit theyre fed because i once had a bazinga flight attendant try to convince me that since aircaft autopilots worked so well tesla autopilot should be even better since it only has to work in 2 dimensions. unbelievable

Lol people on these very forums have made that argument many times

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

anything is possible when you're no closer than 1000 feet from your nearest traffic. just allow 1000x fewer vehicles on the road and elon dumfucks software written by douchebags would work perfectly

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Arson Daily posted:

anything is possible when you're no closer than 1000 feet from your nearest traffic. just allow 1000x fewer vehicles on the road and elon dumfucks software written by douchebags would work perfectly

also when 98% of your trip is in a straight line and there is literally nothing to hit

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

also when 98% of your trip is in a straight line and there is literally nothing to hit

:honk:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Arson Daily posted:

One weird trick to increase public transit use

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

Arson Daily posted:

The list of 'poo poo to avoid on the road ' seems to be growing rapidly. Used to just be people on phones and giant cars, now it's cars with giant tablets as the entire control system designed by techbros.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

trip report: every motorcycle should have an up/down quick shifter. paired with this motor and lack of big power, it's so much fun.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A quickshifter is really the only piece of modern technology that I'm jealous I dont have

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

the option isn't enabled in the settings screen, you just have to know the button combination from reading the manual.

when I picked up the bike I asked the tech if it was enabled and they said yes, but on the ride home I wasn't able to get it to work like I expected. after rtfm the next day I turned it on and giggled as I merged onto the highway. wheeeeee

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

bsamu posted:

trip report: every motorcycle should have an up/down quick shifter. paired with this motor and lack of big power, it's so much fun.
:hellyeah: forgot that came stock with the ZX4RR, nice! Those bikes look fantastic.

The Triumph Tiger Sport 660 has one available OEM as a plug and play for another $600ish, will probably be the next thing I pick up.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I've only had a couple demo rides on QS-equipped bikes, do you need to use one in anger to really "get it"?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

FBS posted:

I've only had a couple demo rides on QS-equipped bikes, do you need to use one in anger to really "get it"?

In my experience yes. They are underwhelming and a little clunky if you're just cruising. If you're accelerating pretty good upshifts are snappy. Autoblip downshifts are similarly great banging down through the gears.

They're really really good on track and more of a party trick on street but I love them everywhere.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Only ever used one on a ZX-10R but it definitely wanted revs to work correctly.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The Triumph Tiger Sport 660 has one available OEM as a plug and play for another $600ish, will probably be the next thing I pick up.
Wait I was wrong it's only $290, getting my wishlisted accessories mixed up lol

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Honda put a new "e-clutch" thing in the new CBR650 and 650Rs. You never actually need to use the clutch lever at all, even at a stop it does it for you.

https://global.honda/en/tech/Honda_E-Clutch/

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

bsamu posted:

the option isn't enabled in the settings screen, you just have to know the button combination from reading the manual.

when I picked up the bike I asked the tech if it was enabled and they said yes, but on the ride home I wasn't able to get it to work like I expected. after rtfm the next day I turned it on and giggled as I merged onto the highway. wheeeeee

huh i thought it was the prep guys being lazy but i guess thats sop. its so good it makes riding the tiger feel like shifting a tractor in comparison

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

opengl posted:

In my experience yes. They are underwhelming and a little clunky if you're just cruising. If you're accelerating pretty good upshifts are snappy. Autoblip downshifts are similarly great banging down through the gears.

They're really really good on track and more of a party trick on street but I love them everywhere.

The quickshifter on my fireblade is a bit like this, it is perfect on the track or the rare times you get to open in up on the road. Just cruising around it doesn't really like downshifts, they are "fine" but I usually use the clutch.

Contrasting that I just spent a few hours on a Ducati DesertX and the quickshifter was fantastic. Very different bike but I think I'd be happy clutchless most of the time.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Rusty posted:

Honda put a new "e-clutch" thing in the new CBR650 and 650Rs. You never actually need to use the clutch lever at all, even at a stop it does it for you.

https://global.honda/en/tech/Honda_E-Clutch/

Sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012