Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

A few months ago, I managed to land an interview at a stealth startup doing some AI stuff. I got in there on the recommendation of a friend from my hometown. He had specialized in robotics early on in his career, pivoted into Machine Learning in the early 2010s when he felt he’d get better opportunities there. When the LLM craze hit, he was already well positioned for the gold rush.

He got in early at that startup, and they’re doing the new cool thing where instead of having one beefy model that boils the oceans to chat with you, they instead have a lot of smaller specialized models getting bridged together to give you competitive AI at cheaper costs and with much faster training. That meant they started running a lot of cloud stuff and had distributed systems on their hands with weirder incidents, which is why he reached out to me to apply.

They got a lot of funding with the rest of the tech industry shrivelling, and I cleared the screening rounds that were all remote.
I know little about running AI things but they didn’t, and I know a lot about being effective around incidents and they didn’t. I told them about adaptivity and the required team dynamics, and so they flew me out for a last round where I could try to sell the team on it.

I arrived there with my laptop in case they’d want to do some coding test (in which case I wanted my own dev environment and French Canadian keyboard layout), and my e-ink tablet for note taking. They took both away at reception, and even asked for my phone. They handed me back a paper pad and a pen, said they’d check them on the way out. There was a big display behind the reception desk that had some high-definition security footage, just to show off how they were running face recognition software. It clearly labelled me by name, with my rank—unknown, in red—underneath. Everything the employee in front of me (Blake, title: receptionist in green) told me was subtitled live, and likewise for my responses. When I was done signing the paperwork on a tablet, the rank became interviewee, in orange. The word shifted green when my friend (Jules, title: tech lead) showed up and came within a few metres from me.

I have to admit this was a more impressive display of security than the prison-style turnstiles I had seen at big telcos trying to avoid industrial espionage at past jobs. Other monitors were hooked on other walls, implying you’d be watched and monitored everywhere. It certainly is a way to keep people in line.

I said hi to Jules in our native Quebecois with a particularly thick accent while shaking his hand; he replied in English, and I noticed the software seemed to only get part of the French while it got the rest fine. Even there they don't think Quebec French is real French i guess. I mentioned it to him and he wasn’t really surprised about it since there isn’t that much data for our accent in their datasets.

He walked me to a conference room, asked me if I needed coffee or a snack or anything, and walked out while I prepared myself. There wasn’t much to prepare since they had taken most of my stuff and I was left with paper and pen, but there was a tablet showing a transcript of our conversation, which could be sent or forwarded, but only to people from the employee directory and some “training bucket” entity.

The interviews went okay. I won’t get into the details too much—I'm getting to the point, I swear. There was a sort of “how much do you know about AI” quiz I think I did alright on (even if we had already done some or that stuff online), a session on systems architecture I did great at. The guy interviewing me for incidents management and reviews had read some of my material before and it was more of a meet-and-greet.

From time to time, I’d ask a somewhat uncomfortable question about the business and its impacts, and the folks interviewing me would to wince before going “eh we’re going off topic” or giving me responses that really seemed like a politician’s prepared statements. You know, asking things like “how do you balance taking a public position of encouraging creativity when artists mostly seem to decry how your training data is acquired” or "aren't your results just good enough for spam and nothing else which would erode public trust" and getting something evasive in return. I didn’t particularly think it would hurt me to ask that, conflicting goals is sort of a major player in incident theory but we’d see.

It was time for lunch. Jules walked me to the cafeteria, explaining that I’d meet some execs and do a Q&A for some selected group of employees in the afternoon.

I switched to the thickest joual I could muster—caricatural if anything—to avoid getting picked up right away. I mentioned how weird some of the interactions felt and he sucked air through his teeth. He explained that they’re not too big on second-guessing of that kind—there’s plenty of it online—that there’s a general drive to keep people aligned and focused on the product. He sort of redirected the conversation away, telling me we’d talk more after the day of interviews, and switched back to English.

As far as I could tell, it felt as if they mostly did the same chat-based whatever everybody else was doing and I wasn’t sure where they’d get their funding from aside from lagging institutional investors trying to get on a late train. Since it had served me well in the past, I more or less directly asked execs about their runway, objectives, and funding sources when it came to that section.

Turns out I was wrong and most of their operations are funded by early “effective” altruist VCs who love to shorten their names with numbers instead of letters. They’re people I don’t generally like much.

Maybe they picked up on that, or maybe it was my direct (read: rude) interviewing style, but they didn’t extend me an offer. Not a big surprise, and I moved on. Turns out I wouldn’t manage to talk to Jules after leaving there, and I just flew back home on a red-eye.

Anyway a few weeks after that was all said and done, I was mailed a paper letter, written by hand, unsigned aside from a PO Box return address. It was sent to my own PO Box, which I got a while ago to use online and make it harder to find me if there are any data leaks or something (it was on my resume as well), meaning it might have been from any random person with access to my info.

The content sort of match the events that happened around my interview, but I don’t think it’s from Jules because that would both be too easy to trace to him and because he knows my home address since he stops by when he’s back in town every year.

Penmanship is pretty bad, I figure they were sort of paranoid and tried to mask their own handwriting (maybe writing with their off hand?) Anyway here’s some bits:

quote:

I recently became aware of your job interview with [employer], and I must say, the information I obtained highlighted your concerns regarding their technology development.

It is clear to both of us that [employer] is involved in the creation of harmful technologies that pose a threat to overall societal well-being by entrenching existing injustices.

I am reaching out to you to discuss the possibility of joining forces in a resistance movement against AI's unethical applications. Together, we can work towards stopping the dangers associated with their technology and advocating for more ethical alternatives.

I understand that this proposition may seem radical or even far-fetched, but our shared values and beliefs make us natural allies in this fight against oppressive technologies. Your voice and expertise could be instrumental in bringing about positive change in a rotten industry desperately in need of rebellion.

Please consider standing with us as we challenge [employer] and strive for a future where technology serves humanity rather than exploiting it.
This sounds kind of unhinged, the kind “rebellion” led by dudes who think they’re real bad rear end but wake up complaining like hell if their bed was mildly uncomfortable. Some of the stuff it mentioned was real and they had to have access to actual information, so I was tempted to give some benefit of the doubt while another part of me wanted to just reply with “as a large language model, …”

This could have been some weird rear end loyalty test for the job, but since I don’t really care, I decided to go with it.
I ended up writing them back, mailed it their way decided to wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

MononcQc posted:

This could have been some weird rear end loyalty test for the job, but since I don’t really care, I decided to go with it.
I ended up writing them back, mailed it their way decided to wait.

condolences on not getting picked up by the wonka company op

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
congrats op on being on the ground floor of the anti-ai revolution

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

their selection criteria look hosed up, I'm sure I can shitpost my way to a rebellion

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol you could've condensed that story a bit but i'm interested in seeing where this goes

i don't think it's some weirdo loyalty thing, i think you probably got a live one on your hands

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
the new deus ex is wild

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

condolences on not getting picked up by the wonka company op

w3a

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i mean as fun as it would be to take down eggmans panopticon company seems like you dodges a bullet there. I would go with the "as a large language model" response. especially if you have access to one of those handwriting machines insurance companies and home renovations places like to use

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
:umberto:

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
OP is going to have a chip in his brain by next week.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

taking down big language model from the inside by letting the disk that the logs are written to fill up

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

especially if you have access to one of those handwriting machines insurance companies and home renovations places like to use

the what now?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

the what now?

its a plotter but you put a pen in it

https://youtu.be/cQO2XTP7QDw?si=OvjBWrEKwcw1vCT6

window installers love to print out a houses picture from google street view and use this to pretend they are writing a hand written note about RENEWAL by Anderson or garage doors and poo poo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

its a plotter but you put a pen in it

https://youtu.be/cQO2XTP7QDw?si=OvjBWrEKwcw1vCT6

window installers love to print out a houses picture from google street view and use this to pretend they are writing a hand written note about RENEWAL by Anderson or garage doors and poo poo

ugh i hate that scams have become an essential pillar of the modern economy

to tie into the thread: ai will only serve to perpetuate this, of course

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
how does this person think you’re going to help while not employed there? I would say obvious loyalty test but who would spend the effort handwriting that?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I checked this post for an acrostic. None found.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
welcome to the resistance, jean connor

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
i think a lot about how youd go about smashing the looms too. I think its pretty hard but I dont really think anyone has actually tried.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
next Neal Stephenson book sounds pretty alright

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

The Management posted:

I would say obvious loyalty test

Ya it's gotta be this especially after all the security they showed off at the office.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

AlbertFlasher posted:

Ya it's gotta be this especially after all the security they showed off at the office.

to what end? they didn't hire mononcqc, so, uh. loyalty to whom? the anonymous letter writer?

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Beeftweeter posted:

to what end? they didn't hire mononcqc, so, uh. loyalty to whom? the anonymous letter writer?

Maybe the company had some info stolen or their servers hacked and they are trying to sniff out who did it? I don't know. It's a bizarre story so it has to be something equally strange.

Or maybe it's just a really unhinged dude at the company.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

AlbertFlasher posted:

yeah putting my money on this one again

i just don't see why a company that didn't hire someone would waste their time trying to sniff out a hacker or whatever when they made a big show of having mononcqc under constant surveillance the whole time and (i assume) didn't see him do anything nefarious or otherwise suspicious, other than speaking in french i guess

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

let me join

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

maybe the message is from you in the future after you started working for the company and found out it's not AI they've been building, but a time machine, and they want to go back and clone a whole army of hitlers

just a thought

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

AlbertFlasher posted:

Maybe the company had some info stolen or their servers hacked and they are trying to sniff out who did it? I don't know. It's a bizarre story so it has to be something equally strange.

Buying $80,000 in physical surveillance but leaving your ssh bastion connect to the internet with a root user who's password is qwerty123

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

koolkal posted:

welcome to the resistance, jean connor

lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lol at taking an interview at a company without knowing what they do. even a stealth startup should be able to give you general information like industry and application.

why didn’t your friend warn you?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Beeftweeter posted:

lol you could've condensed that story a bit but i'm interested in seeing where this goes

just ask chatgpt to summarize it for you

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
good luck with your weird arg MononcQc

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 17, 2024

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

MononcQc posted:

I switched to the thickest joual I could muster—caricatural if anything—to avoid getting picked up right away.

lol

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space

death cob for cutie posted:

next Neal Stephenson book sounds pretty alright

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rotor posted:

i think a lot about how youd go about smashing the looms too. I think its pretty hard but I dont really think anyone has actually tried.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello
thanks for writing me back, op

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i was thinking about this after posting about llms in the bauble thread and, you know, maybe whoever wrote that isn't so unhinged after all

i mean, seriously: gently caress ai. it hasn't even been available to the general population for even like, what, two years, right? but we've already seen at least hundreds of instances of it being inappropriately, extremely bad at whatever it was supposed to be doing. and we've probably seen thousands of instances of it being used to trick or scam someone. so there's nothing wrong with wanting to make sure it isn't used in lovely ways

i could also see someone being concerned about their privacy because they work at a company that has a ton of ridiculous surveillance equipment and security restrictions despite working on a goddamn chatbot or whatever. so they probably didn't want to type any of that letter, and, well, some people just have bad handwriting

i'll grant that the idea of teaming up and fighting some injustice at some startup is kinda weird and absurd, though. and mailing a letter like that to someone that was simply a candidate for some position is definitely strange. and hand writing it instead of just using some device you know isn't bugged to type it and then printing it at a library or something is also pretty weird

but the content of the letter doesn't seem to be all that odd, really

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
psyched for this, I'll get the wiki going. can somebody get started on a gangtag?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lol I'm guessing the company was doing something that was an actual war crime (targeting for air strikes) or gauche (republican campaign ads) and it broke the brain of an ai true believer

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

MononcQc posted:

I have to admit this was a more impressive display of security than the prison-style turnstiles I had seen at big telcos trying to avoid industrial espionage at past jobs. Other monitors were hooked on other walls, implying you’d be watched and monitored everywhere. It certainly is a way to keep people in line.

The interviews went okay. I won’t get into the details too much—I'm getting to the point, I swear. There was a sort of “how much do you know about AI” quiz I think I did alright on (even if we had already done some or that stuff online), a session on systems architecture I did great at. The guy interviewing me for incidents management and reviews had read some of my material before and it was more of a meet-and-greet.

lol ditto the one (remote) interview i did with openai had some lolworthy YOU MUST DISABLE ANY AUTOMATED NOTE TAKING SOFTWARE industrial espionage cargo cult nonsense in the prep material (lol wut, i am perfectly capable of taking notes by hand, but wtf are you gonna do if i wanted to run some transcription poo poo or whatever) along with a "so, what do you know about AI" that seemed like a weird probe of "do you believe in the singularity?" versus my "here's my basic outsider knowledge of the state of CS research as someone that casually follows it" response

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I am very glad I'm not interviewing right now because I would not be able to maintain kayfabe when talking about ai/ml poo poo and it's everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

did you check that the interviewer didnt gently caress with your belongings in any way