Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I'm only a few "chapters" in but:

- a (~* fantastical *~) adenoid has consumed a man in a particular corner of WWII London
- the main character as far as I can tell gets super horny in places where a V2-rocket later lands
- Slothrop chases his harmonica down an outhouse hole or something at a negro jazzclub, worries about getting his butthole fingered, imagines he's a cowboy (while he's in the like pipes or whatever)

Anyway it's honestly the coolest thing I've read in a while. Rewards careful reading. Anyway I'll keep you updated. Will probbaly take me 6 months to read, whoops. Had no loving clue what I was getting into. I read Ulysses in college and I'm super smug about it so this is perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

GR is fun

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

ulvir posted:

GR is fun

and one of the funniest novels I've read

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Gravity's Rainbow is by far and away the worst book I've ever read. Absolutely hated every single page and only powered through it to completion to vainly see if there was some kind of pay-off for dredging through the absolute turd of a novel I found it to be.

There are about 3 or less points in the book where Pynchon shows that he can actually write semi-competently but instead decides to go balls deep on the most pretentious possible writing styles, forever veering off into self-indulgent tangents that are an entire galaxy away from being as clever as he thinks they are. Just an incoherent con of a book, not dissimilar to having to be forced to listen to a homeless person in the middle of a particularly bad acid trip, ruminate on their batshit theories to you for however long it takes you to finish reading it.

What I'm saying is that I thought Gravity's Rainbow colossally sucked and if you can glean any kind of pleasure from reading it, more power to you.

frytechnician fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Apr 5, 2023

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
gr's great. funniest american novel since moby-dick imo

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

lol the turd eating scene

lol the malcolm x scene

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

bollig posted:

I'm only a few "chapters" in but:

- a (~* fantastical *~) adenoid has consumed a man in a particular corner of WWII London
- the main character as far as I can tell gets super horny in places where a V2-rocket later lands
- Slothrop chases his harmonica down an outhouse hole or something at a negro jazzclub, worries about getting his butthole fingered, imagines he's a cowboy (while he's in the like pipes or whatever)

Anyway it's honestly the coolest thing I've read in a while. Rewards careful reading. Anyway I'll keep you updated. Will probbaly take me 6 months to read, whoops. Had no loving clue what I was getting into. I read Ulysses in college and I'm super smug about it so this is perfect.

Scenes 1 and 3 you describe are dreams/fantasies. You are bang on on scene 2 and it forms a core piece of the plot.

Gravity's rainbow rules and is one of my favourite books.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

lol the turd eating scene

lol the malcolm x scene

That first one almost made me throw up lol.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.

frytechnician posted:

Gravity's Rainbow is by far and away the worst book I've ever read. Absolutely hated every single page and only powered through it to completion to vainly see if there was some kind of pay-off for dredging through the absolute turd of a novel I found it to be.

There are about 3 or less points in the book where Pynchon shows that he can actually write semi-competently but instead decides to go balls deep on the most pretentious possible writing styles, forever veering off into self-indulgent tangents that are an entire galaxy away from being as clever as he thinks they are. Just an incoherent con of a book, not dissimilar to having to be forced to listen to a homeless person in the middle of a particularly bad acid trip, ruminate on their batshit theories to you for however long it takes you to finish reading it.

What I'm saying is that I thought Gravity's Rainbow colossally sucked and if you can glean any kind of pleasure from reading it, more power to you.

Stfu

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

Arrhythmia posted:

That first one almost made me throw up lol.

lol it's so raunchy

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

I'm going to assume you've already read Gravity's Rainbow - the ultimate literary punishment - so any slapfight we could get into is meaningless compared to the harm your tiny mind has already endured.

Hate to break it ya but there's no medal for finishing it and no amount of hunting for anything of any significance or value in it will bear any fruit outside of you telling others to avoid reading it.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

im handing out medals for everyone who finished it. im recognizing all of you.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Because I have read Gravity's Rainbow, I am smarter than people who haven't. People will disagree, but they're just lashing out from low self-esteem.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

i didn't much care for gr, but it sure as hell left a permanent impression on me

i hope you enjoy the poo poo scene

...no, the other one

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I read The Crying of Lot 49 last year and while I didn't love it I enjoyed it enough to check out more Pynchon in the future, gonna put this on my list

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

frytechnician posted:

Gravity's Rainbow is by far and away the worst book I've ever read.

Lol

quote:

Absolutely hated every single page and only powered through it to completion to vainly see if there was some kind of pay-off for dredging through the absolute turd of a novel I found it to be.

Lol

quote:

There are about 3 or less points in the book where Pynchon shows that he can actually write semi-competently

Lmao

quote:

but instead decides to go balls deep on the most pretentious possible writing styles, forever veering off into self-indulgent tangents that are an entire galaxy away from being as clever as he thinks they are.

Lmfao

quote:

Just an incoherent con of a book, not dissimilar to having to be forced to listen to a homeless person in the middle of a particularly bad acid trip, ruminate on their batshit theories to you for however long it takes you to finish reading it.

Wait, so you're not joking??

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i enjoyed slothrop eating vile sweets

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i enjoyed slothrop eating vile sweets

lmfao this post brought that section back crystal clear in my memory. i remember cry-laughing at it.

"This one seems alright until - loving idiot - he bites into it and releases what must be pure citric acid"

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Heath posted:

Wait, so you're not joking??

Nope, it's really that bad! But as the saying goes, it's easier to fool a guy than convince him he's been fooled so if defenders of this absolute garbage heap of a book want to praise it's endless edgelord musings, OK I guess?

Gravity's Rainbow, work of total genius lmao posted:

He struggles to his knees to kiss the instrument. She stands over him now, legs astride, pelvis cocked forward, fur cape held apart on her hips. He dares to gaze up at her oval office, that fearful vortex. Her pubic hair has been dyed black for the occasion. He sighs, and lets escape a small shameful groan. “Ah . . . yes, I know.” She laughs. “Poor mortal Brigadier, I know. It is my last mystery,” stroking with fingernails her labia, “you cannot ask a woman to reveal her last mystery, now, can you?”
“Please . . .”
“No. Not tonight. Kneel here and take what I give you.”
Despite himself—already a reflex—he glances quickly over at the bottles on the table, the plates, soiled with juices of meat, Hollandaise, bits of gristle and bone. . . . Her shadow covers his face and upper torso, her leather boots creak softly as thigh and abdominal muscles move, and then in a rush she begins to piss. He opens his mouth to catch the stream, choking, trying to keep swallowing, feeling warm urine dribble out the corners of his mouth and down his neck and shoulders, submerged in the hissing storm. When she’s done he licks the last few drops from his lips. More cling, golden clear, to the glossy hairs of her quim. Her face, looming between her bare breasts, is smooth as steel. She turns. “Hold up my fur.” He obeys. “Be careful. Don’t touch my skin.” Earlier in this game she was nervous, constipated, wondering if this was anything like male impotence. But thoughtful Pointsman, anticipating this, has been sending laxative pills with her meals. Now her intestines whine softly, and she
feels poo poo begin to slide down and out. He kneels with his arms up holding the rich cape. A dark turd appears out the crevice, out of the absolute darkness between her white buttocks. He spreads his knees, awkwardly, until he can feel the leather of her boots. He leans forward to surround the hot turd with his lips, sucking on it tenderly, licking along its lower side . . . he is thinking, he’s sorry, he can’t help it, thinking of a Negro’s penis, yes he knows it abrogates part of the conditions set, but it will not be denied, the image of a brute African who will make him behave. . . . The stink of poo poo floods his nose, gathering him, surrounding. It is the smell of Passchendaele, of the Salient. Mixed with the mud, and the putrefaction of corpses, it was the sovereign smell of their first meeting, and her emblem. The turd slides into his mouth, down to his gullet. He gags, but bravely clamps his teeth shut. Bread that would only have floated in porcelain waters somewhere, unseen, untasted—risen now and baked in the bitter intestinal Oven to bread we know, bread that’s light as domestic comfort, secret as death in bed . . . Spasms in his throat continue. The pain is terrible. With his tongue he mashes poo poo against the roof of his mouth and begins to chew, thickly now, the only sound in the room. . . . There are two more turds, smaller ones, and when he has eaten these, residual poo poo to lick out of her anus. He prays that she’ll let him drop the cape over himself, to be allowed, in the silk-lined darkness, to stay a while longer with his submissive tongue straining upward into her rear end in a top hat. But she moves away. The fur evaporates from his hands. She orders him to masturbate for her. She has watched Captain Blicero with Gottfried, and has learned the proper style.

frytechnician fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 5, 2023

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
that rules though

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

gr rips. it's one of those book where you're reading for texture and not for like plot lore you can cross reference on the gravity's rainbow unofficial fandom wiki

& yeah the gross out scenes are extremely gross. kind of the point!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The Companion to Gravity's Rainbow is invaluable for appreciating the book more deeply so you don't end up brain damaged like the guy a few posts up

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Heath posted:

The Companion to Gravity's Rainbow is invaluable for appreciating the book more deeply so you don't end up brain damaged like the guy a few posts up

Lmao, "I need a companion book to try and get anything coherent out of this other book" is not a good endorsement. Let me guess, the bit where the writer uses the word "banana" about 400 times in the first 20 pages is some fantastically deep and clever writing lmfao

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

oh my god there is literally a gravitys rainbow fan wiki lmao

https://gravitys-rainbow.pynchonwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

frytechnician posted:

Let me guess, the bit where the writer uses the word "banana" about 400 times in the first 20 pages is some fantastically deep and clever writing lmfao

art appreciator voice: hmm, you think so? speak on that

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

frytechnician posted:

Lmao, "I need a companion book to try and get anything coherent out of this other book" is not a good endorsement. Let me guess, the bit where the writer uses the word "banana" about 400 times in the first 20 pages is some fantastically deep and clever writing lmfao

👏 the 👏 curtains 👏 were 👏 blue 👏

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

gr grabbed me by the ears and mindfucked me and, let me tell you, pynchon was not a gentle lover

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now
I really, really want to like this book but for some reason always just get a few chapters in before completely losing the plot and then getting annoyed with it and myself.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Thank you for reminding me to retry gravitys rainbow. Its an extremely bad idea since I'm trying to get back into reading and a giant impenetrable postmodern text with a scat sex scene is probably beyond my power right now.

I do kinda think about the black nazi rocket guys a bit. No idea why but they were distinctive.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Wrestlepig posted:

Its an extremely bad idea since I'm trying to get back into reading and a giant impenetrable postmodern text

iirc there's a run-on, steam-of-consciousness sentence that goes on 3+ pages and i had to start reading it aloud to make sure i wasn't having a stroke

gr will definitely leave its impact on you

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I got the trick of reading it out loud, which helps make it flow and also let's you look insane

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Wrestlepig posted:

I got the trick of reading it out loud, which helps make it flow and also let's you look insane

lmfao i did that.

Jellyko
Mar 3, 2010
I've read it a few times now and think it's pretty solid, not everything works for me but an attentive read brings out the theme of institutionalized and systematized mass death and exploitation arising out existing political and capitalist systems turned to the purpose of war, and vice versa, and does it in a visceral way by creating a "mystery" for the reader to "solve" that just devolves into an increasingly paranoid realization of the nature of the postwar world. Like, it's a weird book and takes effort to read, but it's for a purpose. Also definitely funny, the incredibly shaggy set-up for a "40 million Frenchmen" pun is such a dad joke thing I can't not like it.

Mason & Dixon was my first Pynchon book and as of my most recent read of each I actually think it's the better of the two. It's got the postmodern stuff and humor and the underpinning critical themes, but there's less (and less grotesque) sex stuff and there are actual characters with a (surprisingly heartfelt) friendship at the core the book. It feels like a more mature work and it's my current favorite of his "big" books.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Jellyko posted:

I've read it a few times now and think it's pretty solid, not everything works for me but an attentive read brings out the theme of institutionalized and systematized mass death and exploitation arising out existing political and capitalist systems turned to the purpose of war, and vice versa, and does it in a visceral way by creating a "mystery" for the reader to "solve" that just devolves into an increasingly paranoid realization of the nature of the postwar world. Like, it's a weird book and takes effort to read, but it's for a purpose. Also definitely funny, the incredibly shaggy set-up for a "40 million Frenchmen" pun is such a dad joke thing I can't not like it.

Mason & Dixon was my first Pynchon book and as of my most recent read of each I actually think it's the better of the two. It's got the postmodern stuff and humor and the underpinning critical themes, but there's less (and less grotesque) sex stuff and there are actual characters with a (surprisingly heartfelt) friendship at the core the book. It feels like a more mature work and it's my current favorite of his "big" books.

There's some really stupid jokes in there. There's one that you need to have passed calc 2 to get that absolutely isn't worth it

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The joke is that you took calc

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

Heath posted:

The joke is that you took calc

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

the book is funny and cool and everyone can read it if they put in some effort, and believe in themselves

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

frytechnician posted:

I'm going to assume you've already read Gravity's Rainbow - the ultimate literary punishment - so any slapfight we could get into is meaningless compared to the harm your tiny mind has already endured.

Hate to break it ya but there's no medal for finishing it and no amount of hunting for anything of any significance or value in it will bear any fruit outside of you telling others to avoid reading it.

op whats your favorite book

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

today I learned Byron the lightbulb was based on a real lightbulb cartel lol. Pynchon owns, I need to get around to finishing Bleeding Edge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Jenny Agutter posted:

today I learned Byron the lightbulb was based on a real lightbulb cartel lol. Pynchon owns, I need to get around to finishing Bleeding Edge

Was the immortal lightbulb based on an immortal lightbulb?