Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 26 days!)

Don't put any party other than the bourgeois parties in power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

KomradeX posted:

It really just is oppositional defiant disorder as politics

no it's not

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
supposedly this is from a 23 page internal document from anarchists at McGill university

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Original betrayal do not steal.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Total misunderstanding of who is even participating in the protests. This is the next generation of America's bourgeois, not the revolutionary class. They don't care about revolution. Yet you don't care enough about Palestinians to make the end of university investments into Israel the objective of the student movement. It's the one thing they have the most leverage over and you don't give a gently caress.

I really feel bad for anarchists that anybody can just say they represent anarchism and post poo poo like this. I get vicarious embarrassment for them.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
Maybe they should get a dedicated group of spokespeople to prevent this sort of thing

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Total misunderstanding of who is even participating in the protests. This is the next generation of America's bourgeois, not the revolutionary class. They don't care about revolution. Yet you don't care enough about Palestinians to make the end of university investments into Israel the objective of the student movement. It's the one thing they have the most leverage over and you don't give a gently caress.

I really feel bad for anarchists that anybody can just say they represent anarchism and post poo poo like this. I get vicarious embarrassment for them.

I see a similar problem with local movement here, where they keep pushing for students and younger leftists to study conflicts and combat strategies, and while they are correct that the state will keep upping repression I don't think being a nerd about optimal fighting strategy will work.
I guess, there's something there in giving yourself to a cause and getting front and center of state's violence though.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

lol why, this is exactly what they want

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

swimsuit posted:

supposedly this is from a 23 page internal document from anarchists at McGill university

lol don't protest bc it isn't revolutionary ok

Honest Thief posted:

I see a similar problem with local movement here, where they keep pushing for students and younger leftists to study conflicts and combat strategies, and while they are correct that the state will keep upping repression I don't think being a nerd about optimal fighting strategy will work.
I guess, there's something there in giving yourself to a cause and getting front and center of state's violence though.

they're all keyboard warriors who want others to do the fighting for them. how many have real knowledge of guerrilla tactics and political conflicts? it's always vague poo poo about seizing territory and forming militias and fighting the state. they're role-playing as revolutionaries

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
these loving kids need to wake up and realize the only way forward is with a violent revolution!

what's the matter? why aren't you overthrowing the capitalists? all you need to do is take up arms, rapidly seize a strategically important location along with the surrounding territory, and foment a general revolt across the country! it's so simple!

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
you can create zones of operation, residency, production, and supply by clicking and dragging the mouse

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

swimsuit posted:

ah maximalism or nothing, that old canard

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

The cunning plan to replicate the success of the famed 2019 Chilean Anarchist Revolution

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The most anarchist letter I've ever seen lol. The commune.... :qq:

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Canada will be the center of the global anarchist revolution

Once they've abolished the brutal municipal fascist state of Montreal, the rest of the world will fall like dominos

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

All the people on the business end of American-made Israeli bombs controlled with Canadian computer chips keep putting out statements saying thank you western students for standing up keep up the good work but what they actually mean is there's no point in protesting if it doesn't instantly start the anarchist revolution. Plus you can't even do acid and get laid at the camp anymore

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
nobody wants to revolt anymore

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan

gradenko_2000 posted:

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Lin-Manuel Turtle posted:

The cunning plan to replicate the success of the famed 2019 Chilean Anarchist Revolution

lol

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Was gonna revolt but the vibes were off

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
https://twitter.com/nise_yoshimi/status/1790360529959358616

me

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

I'm getting involved in a new organization for artists and creatives and many of the people involved are anarchists. I suggested to one of the anarchists there that when we have meetings we should have an agenda, a chair with a speaker's list (so that we're not all talking over each other), and we should designate someone to take minutes at each meeting of the decision making assembly. The anarchist was instantly skeptical of my suggestions, saying "Isn't this all a little too heirarchical?"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Red and Black posted:

I'm getting involved in a new organization for artists and creatives and many of the people involved are anarchists. I suggested to one of the anarchists there that when we have meetings we should have an agenda, a chair with a speaker's list (so that we're not all talking over each other), and we should designate someone to take minutes at each meeting of the decision making assembly. The anarchist was instantly skeptical of my suggestions, saying "Isn't this all a little too heirarchical?"

jfc

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Red and Black posted:

lmfao

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

swimsuit posted:

When did the anarchist fixation on seizing territory start. It feels like a post-1990s development.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Red and Black posted:

do the DSA stack thing where white people arent allowed to talk

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

my bony fealty posted:

do the DSA stack thing where white people arent allowed to talk

you just activated my trap card! DISTANT CHEROKEE ANCESTRY, I ACTIVATE THEE!!!

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Atrocious Joe posted:

When did the anarchist fixation on seizing territory start. It feels like a post-1990s development.

I wonder if it's due to the CHAZ/CHOP from 2020

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Red and Black posted:

rip to your former new organization for artists and creatives

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of

Atrocious Joe posted:

June 7th, 1494

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

quote:

The term “temporary autonomous zone” was popularized in 1991 by an anarchist theorist named Peter Lamborn Wilson, better known as Hakim Bey, who published a manifesto that cited a (possibly imaginary) 18th-century network of outlaw “pirate utopias” and the “anarchist liberated zones” from the cyberpunk author Bruce Sterling.

Mr. Bey theorized that the internet would help bring about impermanent “free enclaves” where culture could spread outside of state control. (Mr. Bey’s conception of anarchy estranged him from some others; he has published work in the journal of the NAMBLA, a group whose advocacy includes that sex between men and boys should be legal.)

His theories prefigure the temporary enclaves that have bubbled up this month, even as they’re snuffed out within weeks, days — or even hours.

“Those are the best autonomous zones,” said mIEKAL aND, 62, who founded a small rural Wisconsin anarchist community called Dreamtime Village with Lyx Ish in 1991. (Many self-identified anarchists change their names.) “It doesn’t have to keep fighting to do its thing, because it’s already over. There’s a beginning, a middle and an end.”

Dreamtime Village, which has sometimes billed itself as a Permanent Autonomous Zone, became a destination for nomads traveling America’s back roads, he said. And, nearly three decades later, the community is still going strong. Asked what lessons activists elsewhere may learn from its longevity, he emphasized the value of consensus.

Often, he said, the community draws people in their early 20s who are especially “issue driven,” whether they’re militant vegans or animal rights activists. In order to prevent any individual from derailing important meetings, Dreamtime’s self-governance requires “consensus-minus-one, meaning that a single person can’t block a decision-making process.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/01/style/autonomous-zone-anarchist-community.html

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

NAMBLA huh.... lmfao

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
NAMBLAnarchist

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

NAMBLAnarchist

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
“consensus-minus-one, meaning that a single person can’t block a decision-making process” coming from a NAMBLA guy hits different

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

gradenko_2000 posted:

NAMBLAnarchist

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

rudecyrus posted:

you can create zones of operation, residency, production, and supply by clicking and dragging the mouse

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

mark immune posted:

“consensus-minus-one, meaning that a single person can’t block a decision-making process” coming from a NAMBLA guy hits different

oh no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

So Wilson/Bey was a collaborator with the Shah's government in addition to writing from NAMBLA

quote:

In Knight’s biography, Wilson is portrayed as a former hippy and drug-user who converted to Sufi Islam during a period of exile in Iran.  He started out as a so-called ‘white Negro’ jazz fan and marijuana smoker.  He was later involved with the Moorish Orthodox Church, a mainly-white splinter from the black-led Moorish Science Temple. He was also involved with the LSD-fuelled religous activities of Timothy Leary.  When Leary’s activities were criminalised, and with a climate of repression and the Vietnam draft hanging over his head, Wilson fled the country.  He claims that he intended permanent exile.  He journeyed in Bengal, Assam, Balochistan, northwest Pakistan, and Afghanistan.  He eventually settled in Iran, referred to the Iranian Sufis by an Indian Sufi master.  After studying with a number of masters, he became affiliated with the Maryamiyya.  This was a Sufi order founded by western scholars connected to the Iranian monarchy.  Wilson was editor of the sect’s journal Sophia Perennis during the 1970s.  The price for this affiliation was turning a blind eye to the abuses of the last years of the Shah’s rule.  (Bey later associated himself with Ali Shariati, a rebel against the Shah).  At this time, Wilson also saw Islam as providing a penetrating critique of modernity.  Knight suggests that photos from this period show a ‘happy’ Wilson, contrasting with the ‘tired’ man of today.  Bey himself tells us that he converted to orthodox Sufism in 1971.  This cost him ‘seven lean years’, but also taught him a lot.  He is no longer a practising Muslim, but admires Sufism for its emphasis on immediacy. 
https://ceasefiremagazine.co.uk/hakim-bey-introduction/