Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

no. I am pretty sure none of even watched the movie

I watched the German dub of Twister in highschool German class and all I remember about it is the bit where someone yells "Ooooooh Scheiße!" That bit was very memorable though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

no, your outlets are 120V single phase, your household is 240V two phase. Trust me, I have seen what happens if you mix the phases. Big badda boom

Its definitely single phase, the order of the positives doesnt matter. In the three phase, the order matters. Ive never seen any two phase wiring in my life.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Thanks to movies people think tornado chasers are a bunch of reckless cowboy scientists with kewl tornado bustin equipment who laugh in the face of danger and have hot sex in the middle of thunderstorms - and this is actually true

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

(wearing aviator sunglassss in a thunderstorm and drinking from a bottl of jack daniels) yeah they call me hoss - before i die im gonna gently caress me a tornado

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Airplanes are parked in hangars. Hangers are used for clothes or cheap abortions.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

You don't need to use your brake to slow your car down. Sometimes just not pressing the accelerator is enough to match the speed of the car in front of you.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's not the "emergency brake" or "e-brake" it's the parking brake or hand brake. It's intended for parking the vehicle only. If you're in an emergency situation in your car and you need to apply the brakes, using the handbrake will lock up your rear wheels and that's just about the worst thing you can do.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

You don't need to use your brake to slow your car down. Sometimes just not pressing the accelerator is enough to match the speed of the car in front of you.

"I See the Breaks, I Hit the Breaks"

- Breaking guy

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

spankmeister posted:

It's not the "emergency brake" or "e-brake" it's the parking brake or hand brake. It's intended for parking the vehicle only. If you're in an emergency situation in your car and you need to apply the brakes, using the handbrake will lock up your rear wheels and that's just about the worst thing you can do.

so on this topic, I am offering you a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to bet your future and the riches of 1,000 nations on a no-bid deal for unlimited shrimp you gonna do it or not I need an answer now

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
something some people misunderstand is they think all shrimp are harvested by slaves in boats off of thailand. in fact, "shrimp aquaculture," otherwise known as "raising millions of sea bugs in huge artificial ponds," is a rapidly growing piece of the puzzle

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

Only around 9% of plastic is recycled, and on top of that plastic can only be recycled a handful of times due to the breakdown of the chain polymers. There are some gigantic garbage gyres in the ocean mainly consisting of plastic that just move around due to ocean currents and are literally destroying the ocean and all bio life in it

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

spankmeister posted:

The emergency would be blowing the hydraulic lines, you could lightly apply it without locking up the wheels. Probably wouldn't work with the new electronic parking brakes.

Dubplate Fire posted:

Its definitely single phase, the order of the positives doesnt matter. In the three phase, the order matters. Ive never seen any two phase wiring in my life.
Think of the two poles as 180 deg out of phase, its still single phase or split phase and can be represented on a vector diagram like how three phase has the three poles 120 deg out of phase from each other. 240v three phase with a high leg is the worst of both worlds.

And the wrong way to run an electric kettle (in NA) is to plug one cord in the west kitchen circuit and a second in the east kitchen circuit and wirenut them to the cord on the kettle, be sure to put tape on the neutrals for safety.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

spankmeister posted:

The kind that have a button or pullout handle (or in the old days foot pedal) are parking brakes. The kind that are in your center console and have a button are to hold your manual transmission car from sliding backwards down a steep hill while you try to start it and get it in gear. And also for easy drifting. And sometimes for parking.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The Management posted:

The kind that have a button or pullout handle (or in the old days foot pedal) are parking brakes. The kind that are in your center console and have a button are to hold your manual transmission car from sliding backwards down a steep hill while you try to start it and get it in gear. And also for easy drifting. And sometimes for parking.

But not emergencies. <:mad:>

Maybe an emergency drift competition, it's known to happen.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I’m not certain about new cars with electronic parking brakes, but ye olden mechanical parking brakes with a foot pedal or hand lever can most certainly be used in an emergency when and/or if your hydraulic brakes fail.

The trick is to gradually engage it if you have no other means to stop your car and not slam it down at once like you’re 2Fast2Furious drifting. It’s not gonna be as good or responsive as your standard brakes, but it’s better than nothing.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

E.T. doesn’t dramatically point his gnarly hosed up finger upwards and say “E.T. phone home”. He says “E.T. home phone” and almost everyone has gotten this wrong for 40+ years and I’ve always hated it even though I know it will never matter and I don’t even like the movie

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

The Management posted:

Aren't these just the same thing with the mechanism to engage placed slightly differently just due to design differences?

Its's called the emergency break because it stops your car from the emergency situation of rolling off the hill, not bc it's to be used in all emergencies. So it's...its the parking brake.

yeh I just googled that poo poo they're the same thing it's just manufacturers preference for what to call it

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 23, 2024

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe
I have used the emergency brake in an actual emergency twice. 1988 Grand Caravan blew front brake lines, first the drivers side and then a month or two later, the passenger. Both times, I was able to limp it home using the e-brake, which was fun given that on that car the brake was a ratcheting foot pedal with the release immediately above it in the form of a lever. I drove with one foot on the brake, left hand on the lever to keep the ratchet disengaged, right foot for gas, right hand on the wheel. Do not recommend.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
*brake

moist banana bread
Dec 17, 2023

banana Jake!
If your old car has a big 12" handle near the center console with a button on the end it is because it is also useful for dropping panties.

But also don't do it because you will snap the cables slide sideways flip into a ditch and get decapitated.

If you want to learn to drift though, push that bitch (the car, not your hand brake) until you can feel the magical moment she loses traction and then figure it the gently caress out homie. Good luck out there 🫡

moist banana bread fucked around with this message at 07:53 on May 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
E=mc² denominates a special case for stationary objects, the general (abbreviated) formula includes the kinetic coefficient Gamma which, in the case of stationary objects, is 1 and therefor commonly left out.