Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

ChickenMedium posted:

If we're messing with the lottery, add ways to win lottery balls. A team should get a lottery ball for: 3pt contest win, dunk contest win, winning the IST, or if you have a player with the season high record for points, rebounds, assists, blocks or steals. You could have teams otherwise out of the lottery with extremely slim chances to win. They should draw more than just the first 4 spots. Make it 6 or 8.

Also, and they should do this even without making any other changes to the lottery, they need to draw the balls live on TV. No more of this back-room, trust-us-its-fair lottery drawing.

Honestly, and no trolling here, just get rid of the lottery all together. They'll never do it though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
add a slight slope to the court

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Squinky v2.0 posted:

It would be cool if NBA2K used real physics so you could just tweak things like the friction coefficient or add a parabolic curve to the court and just see what happened. Like Rocket League.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Salvor_Hardin posted:

It would be cool if NBA2K used real physics so you could just tweak things like the friction coefficient or add a parabolic curve to the court and just see what happened. Like Rocket League.

led courts should be used to make What A Save! show up on the entire court a million times everytime someone scores on you

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Ghost Dog posted:

led courts should be used to make What A Save! show up on the entire court a million times everytime someone scores on you

no, their destiny is to be used to inject more gambling into basketball

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

fart simpson posted:

no, their destiny is to be used to inject more gambling into basketball

Savage!

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

missed dunks should cause the would-be dunker to get slimmed

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

MixMasterMalaria posted:

More supernatural storylines.

I’m currently watching season 3 of Lucha Underground and I 100% agree :yeah:

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Whenever someone pulls off an up and under move: "Faking!"

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

f

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

-No more timeouts and commercials. I've looked at the numbers and those billionaires can easily afford it. Many of the commercials are a bunch of nonsense designed to just steal more $$$ from poor people anyway.

-Ban all discussion of FG%. It's very misleading in the modern game. Only reference 2P%, 3P% and eFG%.

-The NBA court should look like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQSHAfzU5ks Gold tanks and more cheerleaders etc.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

Could Moses Malone, Bob Lanier, Artis Glimore, Robert Parish, Kevin McHale or Patrick Ewing have Hall of Fame careers the way the NBA is built right now? I'm honestly curious what their stat lines might look like in this era and how they might be used. They could all crash the boards and that's always useful but none of them were outside threats, could really run the floor or penetrate the way modern bigs can, nor are particularly known for their passing skills. They would PLAY for sure but in what way?

Notable players of yesteryear would be fine. Depending on the circumstances they might look better or worse based on teammates etc. The question is much more about marginal players from many years ago. Some of those shorter/smaller guys at the end of the bench would not be in the modern game.

Going by volume and efficiency Artis Gilmore is basically the fourth best scorer in NBA/ABA history (behind Kareem, LBJ and Durant)*. He'd be 100% fine and the fact that he had to wait until 2011 to get into the HOF (and that he didn't make the greatest 50 or greatest 75 players lists) shows that there's confusion out there.

*if you factor in league average shooting then Gilmore is #2 only behind Kareem.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

fartis gilmore

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

No doubt. I totally agree. But there were also fewer teams then so you had a more condensed talent pool also. For a while, after expansion, there was talk of not enough talent on hand to go around. I can't think of any player from The Glory Days that could replicate what Lebron, Durant, Curry, Jokic, Giannis, Alexander or Wemby can do and have done as of right now but, in addition to the overall rise in skill sets, players were tasked with different roles back then as well. Nobody was running Ewing on a high screen for a 20 foot set shot or spotting up Moses Malone for an open three. I wonder sometimes if the 80's Celtics and Lakers or the 90's Bulls and Pistons could even hang with this right now, but I tend to think they could. Guys like Larry, Julius Erving, Isaiah Thomas or Magic would ease right into it but I wonder about some of the bigs I posted up there a minute ago. loving Larry Bird and Dell Curry would be raining 3 pointers.

There were fewer teams but there were also far fewer people to start with. Much bigger global population and foreign knowledge of the NBA now. There's a narrative that expansion leads to diluted teams but it isn't that simple. In 2024 the standard deviation of SRS was 5.38 (the fifth largest in NBA/ABA history). That's due to the Celtics being so dominant while there are four terrible teams performing like they're expansion teams. That's a number you'd expect to see if four teams were added to the league or something like that but it's been thirty teams for many years now.

Those older teams would be in trouble. Look what happened when a random player got hot from three back then: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-4xwcxo9gk

The league is filled with guys like that now. Tons of current teams are capable of a 3P onslaught that the 1980s, 1990s and 2000s never saw.

Isiah Thomas would have to learn how to shoot. His shooting was bad against his peers in the 1980s. It'd be much worse now and many Pistons would be ejected/suspended in 2024 for attacking opponents.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Zogo posted:

Those older teams would be in trouble. Look what happened when a random player got hot from three back then: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-4xwcxo9gk

I love it. Drop 39. Talk some poo poo to Jordan. Get the W.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Zogo posted:

OP: Rex Chapman deserves the death penalty.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
People probably used to say poo poo like
“Larry Bird is the best, he hit so many threes tonight. I think he set a record.”
“How many?”
“Three”
“Holy poo poo!”

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Squinky v2.0 posted:

this, but have the courts slope slightly upward at each end starting at the 3pt line. will make contesting 3s easier and also dunks will be easier too.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Spacebump posted:

People probably used to say poo poo like
“Larry Bird is the best, he hit so many threes tonight. I think he set a record.”
“How many?”
“Three”
“Holy poo poo!”

Yeah, in 1986 Larry Bird AKA Larry Legend led the league with 82 3P goals. This year 160 players did that.

He was basically shooting like Garrison Mathews and Malcolm Brogdon.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

larry bird hit 7 threes in a game a few times. that was his record

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

anyway the other thing the nba desperately needs is more video review stoppages

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

fart simpson posted:

anyway the other thing the nba desperately needs is more video review stoppages

Bring back the Sir Foster Video Review song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Panzeh posted:

Bring back the Sir Foster Video Review song.

incredible
https://streamable.com/bdosc