Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

everyone knows you need to have exactly 9 versions before you're allowed to be 1.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Venuz Patrol posted:

I want a remake of Wizardry 8 with zero changes except the random encounter frequency nudged slightly down

Wizardry 8 was so drat good

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

That is... a perfectly normal version number progression? It means they had four released verions prior to the major release. Would you have preferred they get up to 0.25 or even 0.200 first or something?

It's a fancy skin on a 44 year old game. Rushing it out like this could damage the underlying delicate original game code, it needs version tempering to harden the steel.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Instead of playing a remake of crusty rear end neolithic crpg Wizardry 1 u should instead just watch the bizarrely true to source material OVA https://youtu.be/kOTHNoODYmY?si=0lRYHu3YX3knvw_o

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Have I been missing the point the whole time on Demon Souls' "World Tendency" mechanic?

I had interpreted it as dumb, a mistake, the devs not realizing what kind of game they are making. Now, after playing about 75% of the way thru the game and Thinking About It, I'm wondering if it's intentionally cruel, a commentary on how prioritizing the short term inevitably sacrifices the long term. Sure, getting a body for this fight will make the fight slightly easier, but is it REALLY worth the cost? Is the ludonarrative bad, or just bleak? Ordinarily I would say bad, but knowing what I do about From, I feel like it's actually likelier the latter.

My main continuing gripe, a common gripe for From games, is that I wish these effects were actually loving written down anywhere in the game. If you're gonna give me a whole dedicated menu screen to World Tendency and Character Tendency, then give me even just the barest hint of what any of that means, in the menu or from the Monumental or just SOMETHING.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It’s a cool idea just implemented in a way that makes most players (cowards) afraid to engage with it instead of experimenting.

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013

lordfrikk posted:

What game is that?

Silhouette Mirage.
It's a Treasure game that Working Designs made some questionable changes to.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

It’s a cool idea just implemented in a way that makes most players (cowards) afraid to engage with it instead of experimenting.

Yep.

Its the ol' telling people they lose half their health on death leads to terrible player behavior that telling them this item doubles their health temporarily doesn't.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Muscle Tracer posted:

My main continuing gripe, a common gripe for From games, is that I wish these effects were actually loving written down anywhere in the game. If you're gonna give me a whole dedicated menu screen to World Tendency and Character Tendency, then give me even just the barest hint of what any of that means, in the menu or from the Monumental or just SOMETHING.

a lot of Fromsoft stuff is intentionally obtuse at best / incredibly frustrating at worst. there was one "quest" (if you can even loving call them that) in Elden Ring that required you to go to this random bush in a dead town and wait there for a minute or some stupid poo poo, and talk to an invisible loving NPC.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

DLC Inc posted:

a lot of Fromsoft stuff is intentionally obtuse at best / incredibly frustrating at worst. there was one "quest" (if you can even loving call them that) in Elden Ring that required you to go to this random bush in a dead town and wait there for a minute or some stupid poo poo, and talk to an invisible loving NPC.

Which quest was this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Muscle Tracer posted:

Have I been missing the point the whole time on Demon Souls' "World Tendency" mechanic?

I had interpreted it as dumb, a mistake, the devs not realizing what kind of game they are making. Now, after playing about 75% of the way thru the game and Thinking About It, I'm wondering if it's intentionally cruel, a commentary on how prioritizing the short term inevitably sacrifices the long term. Sure, getting a body for this fight will make the fight slightly easier, but is it REALLY worth the cost? Is the ludonarrative bad, or just bleak? Ordinarily I would say bad, but knowing what I do about From, I feel like it's actually likelier the latter.

The mechanic that discourages participation in the game’s entire online system and which they removed from all their future games is in fact just bad. you had it right the first time.