Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Bruins will announce within like 3 days that Pastrnak had successful surgery and is expected to be back in time for opening night.

McAvoy is awesome but was not the same after the injury in game 3, probably (sigh) another guy playing through a concussion in the playoffs.

It was a tight series and, as is often the case in tight playoff series in hockey, the unpredictable vicissitudes of injuries were decisive.

This wasn't a tight series. They were thoroughly outplayed and outclassed by a superior team. They were kept in it by having a good goalie who was red-hot. There were so many times this team gave couldn't get it out of their own zone, or just straight gave it away. They were outshot 203-130 for the series.

This team had 4-5 periods where they totalled 2 or less shots on net.

Like, I'm not trying to be a total doomer for them, but they weren't really ever in this series. Florida was superior in every way but goalie.

This team needs a few "somethings". They aren't far off, I truly think Swayman took an enormous step. McAvaoy and Lohrei are exceptionally good, you can win with Coyle, Heinen, Carlo, etc...

They just fall a little short. And someone with a Tkachuck playoff attitude would be incredibly welcome as well. That dude's a gamer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah well, goalies' performance matters too, and it's not exactly breaking news to anyone except the TV crew that Swayman is better than Bobrovsky.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

No...no!!!

To be honest my greatest fear, which I'm afraid I'll speak into existence, is they do an Ullmark+ for PLD trade.

Think more like an Ullmark+ for Marner trade.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah well, goalies' performance matters too, and it's not exactly breaking news to anyone except the TV crew that Swayman is better than Bobrovsky.

Think more like an Ullmark+ for Marner trade.

I know he has a bad rap but I'd love to see Marner in the spoked B. Can you IMAGINE the meltdown if Mitch Marner led the Bs to a series win over Toronto? Oh my god.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Haha oh man, bruins fans would be on top of the world for like a week before florida dumped them into the gutter again

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I know this will shock you all to hear from me but at this point I think Toronto probably should run it back with their core for one more year. I've never been impressed with Craig Berube, but he is a real rear end NHL coach, a thing none of these guys has ever had before. I would want to at least test the hypothesis that Keefe was the entire problem before dumping any of them.

If they could actually get a genuine 1D for Marner that's different. But trading him without getting any comparable players back just to Shake It Up, I'd give them a year with a real coach before doing that.

Really should have sacked Keefe at least two years ago but now we are where we are.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Toronto is going to throw a truly incredible amount of money at Hronek

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I’m biased a bit because he’s a prototypical Dubas pick and I’ve really come to dislike this type of player, but I think he’s a quintessential tweener. Too good for the AHL, and puts up decent fancy stats in a limited role, but he lacks any kind of talent that would separate him or move him up a lineup. Small (with poor reach), weak, bad shot, not a strong skater, has the smarts and vision to put him at the NHL level but is easily closed off or disrupted so he can rarely use those talents against good competition. If Travis Dermott was a righty and smaller that’s Timothy Liljegren.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I know this will shock you all to hear from me but at this point I think Toronto probably should run it back with their core for one more year.

Yeah this is where I’m at, I was firmly in camp “trade Marner before his NMC kicks in” last year but at this point with the contracts the Leafs have expiring and the talent drop off now that Tavares is really slowing down I’m more interested in seeing what happens under a new system. Best time to fire Keefe was 2021 after Montreal, the obvious time was last year after Dubas left, but all that was wasted so here we are.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

I fully admit am only talking about the playoffs. I only watched about half of the regular season games. I'm curious who which takes are "bizarre" though. (Honestly curious. Not flaming here.) I've played and watched hockey for 40 years, I've a pretty good radar for who "gets it" and who doesn't. It isn't who scores and who doesn't, it's who makes the right play under pressure and who doesn't. (Or worse, makes the lazy play) And I'll admit when I'm wrong (Danton Heinen.)

However seeing players like Zacha, Lindholm, and Pasta completely wilt in the face of playoff pressure/physicality... well, I've seen it before. A lot.

This team also needs a real captain. Marchand ain't it.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I will respond later when I'm at a computer!

Ok here we go, I'll try to go line by line.

I don't know how Pat Maroon didn't top this list, but yeah...

Wotherspoon is absolute poo poo.

The gently caress is a John Beecher, and why is he on anyone's playoff roster. Ditto Andrew Peeke.

Agreed. Wotherspoon sucks. Andrew Peeke sucks (deadline acquisition from CBJ) a "maybe he'll be better on a better team" kind of bet

Not knowing who John Beecher is is weird. He was a (late) first round draft pick, and he's a good player. Will he ever be a star? Probably not. But he's a very promising young guy. He did very well as a member of the US NTDP, as a NCAA player, and in the AHL. He's never going to score 20 goals, if I had to bet, but he has all the makings of an excellent checking line forward who can pot a couple goals here and there. For where he was picked (late first) this is pretty much what you'd expect from all but the deepest drafts. He's an NHLer, but not an impact player. I expect him to bounce around the league once he's no longer a RFA.

Maroon is a goddamn beer league player. This year's Nick Ritchie.

Brazeau was actually decent in spots, but likely just a flash. I want to see more.

Maroon sucks and I do not understand why they traded for him other than "intangibles"

Brazeau also sucks (although he had some clutch goals) and appeals only to the 75 IQ meat head crowd

It was fun to watch Frederic lead the team in scoring in round 1, but total fluke. Also a dud.

This is a WILD take. Frederic is a late first rounder and has exceeded what people expected of him. He is a poor mans Tom Wilson. The last two years he has been a physical player who also can score in the neighborhood of 20 goals, almost exclusively at 5 on 5. He's a very good player for the role the Bruins have him in. That he lead them in scoring round 1 is incredible and testament to the skill level that may be there if he gets more opportunities. He's never going to be an all-star, but he is a very valuable player to have in the middle six. He is not a dud pick at all.

McAvoy is so skilled, but goddamn does he turn incredibly stupid when he thinks he has to be the Physical Presence™. Also made more dumb plays in 10 playoff games than I saw in 80 games this year. I think he'll be fine, but that was hard to watch.
This is true to some extent I guess. McAvoy is one of the best defensmen in the NHL. This series wasn't particularly great for him, but not bad either. He took some dumb penalties but I don't think anything that really had a major impact on the series.

Wtf happened to Zacha and Lindholm? They were both so good last year, and turned into pumpkins this year. Both were wretched.

Zacha has never been a solid playoff performer. Tonight was his first playoff goal. This year was also only the third time he's been in the playoffs (he played for a lot of bad Devils teams). In the regular season, he had a strong performance and set a career high in points. Could he have been better? Maybe. But Boston played two very good teams this year.

Lindholm took a huge step back points wise but he was good defensively. I think everyone knew the Bruins would take a step back from "best regular season team ever" to whatever happened this year, and he's a good example of that.

Coyle can't finish, nothing new there .

Coyle scored more goals than he's ever scored before in the regular season. He couldn't replicate that success in the postseason, but that's how it goes when you're playing better teams sometimes.

Pasta completely wilted when it got physical. Also nothing new.

Pasta is the ONLY major offensive threat on Boston. It is not surprising that teams keyed in on him. His statline wasn't anything special, but other teams correctly noted that he's the needed to shut down

Bright spots:

Carlo is such a solid Defense first player.

Danton Heinen is a legit good playoff player.

Same for Jake DeBrusk. It's weird to trust him more than any other forward.

Geekie has potential. He struggled at times, but had bright spots.

Lohrei is legit talented. He can be a stud. He struggled with decisions this year, but shored it up in the playoffs. He just looks different out there.

Swayman. If that's who he is, that's someone you can build a team around. And I'm coming around to the position that this *is* who he is. He was quiet, solid, and flashy when he had to be. Most of the goals against were unstoppable deflections. Other than the literal series-winner, I can't think of a single goal that I thought was his fault.

e: ha, this should be in the offseason thread. Good series, Cats. GL with the Rangers.

These takes are all correct IMO

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 18, 2024

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

i hope sidney crosby’s phone battery is ready for the 4 hour-long call he’s about to get

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

We shouldn't have let Kadri go to Calgary

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Thank you for losing before we did bruins. Glad we can hang out with the other losers now

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Oh well, I had fun! :buddy:

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

except for all the OT. everyone in the GDT was right, it is the worst when it’s your own team and not someone else’s :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Ooh, that was fun. Let's keep it going a bit more.

I was a bit tipsy and upset last night, after promising myself I wouldn't get upset about this team this year. "Florida is just a better team, I can be content with losing to them. I'm really happy we got to take out Toronto again," he says to himself after Round 1.

I also haven't paid nearly as much attention to behind the scenes stuff in the last few years. So most of my observations are literally just that: eye-test observations.

A (perhaps) more reasonable set of takes:

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Agreed. Wotherspoon sucks. Andrew Peeke sucks (deadline acquisition from CBJ) a "maybe he'll be better on a better team" kind of bet

Forbert was never the answer, but it feels a little weird how little they apparently trust Grzelcyk. I know he's small and you probably shouldn't play him every playoff game, but I'd rather have had him in most situations than Wotherspoon. At least he can skate and make an outlet pass.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Not knowing who John Beecher is is weird. He was a (late) first round draft pick, and he's a good player. Will he ever be a star? Probably not. But he's a very promising young guy. He did very well as a member of the US NTDP, as a NCAA player, and in the AHL. He's never going to score 20 goals, if I had to bet, but he has all the makings of an excellent checking line forward who can pot a couple goals here and there. For where he was picked (late first) this is pretty much what you'd expect from all but the deepest drafts. He's an NHLer, but not an impact player. I expect him to bounce around the league once he's no longer a RFA.

I didn't know who he was, but honestly Beecher was fine. He didn't really play much, but I don't think he looked lost or anything.

I was mostly just saying it because he has a funny name. Geekie is also a funny (bad) name.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Maroon sucks and I do not understand why they traded for him other than "intangibles"

Beyond bad. Literally just lazing around. Can't skate, can't score, can't catch anyone to check or fight them. Also really stupid. How many times are you going to stay on the ice 60 seconds longer than you should? Legit 3 or 4 times where I inrcedulously shouted "You're still on the ice?!?" after they got the puck deep but he didn't change. Only to watch the other team hem us in again.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Brazeau also sucks (although he had some clutch goals) and appeals only to the 75 IQ meat head crowd

I'm not sold on this take. He has size and speed, and there were a handful of plays that I thought he showed really good hockey IQ. He was one of the only Bruins to try and straight-line the puck to the net, which is playoff hockey. I want to see more.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

This is a WILD take. Frederic is a late first rounder and has exceeded what people expected of him. He is a poor mans Tom Wilson. The last two years he has been a physical player who also can score in the neighborhood of 20 goals, almost exclusively at 5 on 5. He's a very good player for the role the Bruins have him in. That he lead them in scoring round 1 is incredible and testament to the skill level that may be there if he gets more opportunities. He's never going to be an all-star, but he is a very valuable player to have in the middle six. He is not a dud pick at all.

I can agree with this. I don't think the team (or Frederic) know what they want him to be. He's a good bottom-6 player, though.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

This is true to some extent I guess. McAvoy is one of the best defensmen in the NHL. This series wasn't particularly great for him, but not bad either. He took some dumb penalties but I don't think anything that really had a major impact on the series.

McAvoy is supposed to be one of the best defensemen in the NHL, but he sure wasn't for the last few weeks. He had a wretched playoffs, and I'm not really even talking about the penalties. He was something like -12 at one point during the playoffs, and he earned it. His decision-making with and without the puck was so bad. So many times he made the exact wrong decision with the puck in his own end. How many times did he literally end up in his own goal chasing a play? (This became a meme in my house. "Oh look, McAvoy is in his own net again.") For a guy that wanted to be the most physical player on the ice, he also flopped for calls way too much, often staying down while the play was going on to "sell" it.

He's a special player, and I absolutely want him a Bruin. This playoffs was hard to watch, though.

I wish they were able to pair him with Lindolm again. They were both just magical last year together. They seemed to just "get" each other and cover so well.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Zacha has never been a solid playoff performer. Tonight was his first playoff goal. This year was also only the third time he's been in the playoffs (he played for a lot of bad Devils teams). In the regular season, he had a strong performance and set a career high in points. Could he have been better? Maybe. But Boston played two very good teams this year.

I'm not following this. Because he's always been bad in the playoffs previously, he gets a pass? He's entirely too good a player to completely disappear the way he did. I'm fine with giving him one more chance, but if he disappears again next year then I'm moving on.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Lindholm took a huge step back points wise but he was good defensively. I think everyone knew the Bruins would take a step back from "best regular season team ever" to whatever happened this year, and he's a good example of that.

I'll rescind my "wretched" comment about Lindolm. The disappointing thing for me wasn't the point production. It was that last year Lindholm made the "right" play *all* year. Like I was giddy with his hockey smarts. That came back to earth this year, including the playoffs. He's a decent player, I was honestly just more reacting to what was obviously an unrealistic expectation.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Coyle scored more goals than he's ever scored before in the regular season. He couldn't replicate that success in the postseason, but that's how it goes when you're playing better teams sometimes.

Coyle is such a weird case. He legit may be one of the best "hockey" players in the entire league. He's fantastic for 160 feet on the ice. He just... can't... finish. Not on the level of the rest of his game. So yeah, he pots goals here and there, and I absolutely want him on my team. It's just... weird.

I will say I think he and the Bruins may recognize that, as he has turned into a top-notch defensive player.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Pasta is the ONLY major offensive threat on Boston. It is not surprising that teams keyed in on him. His statline wasn't anything special, but other teams correctly noted that he's the needed to shut down

Mostly agreed. My biggest issue with Pasta was the total lack of threat on the PP. Players will go on cold streaks or be snake-bitten, but he wasn't even a factor out there. He completely lost his shooting confidence and was pass-first the entire Fla series.

That TOR series-winner was borderline impossible, though. I still don't know how he did that.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

These takes are all correct IMO

:hfive:

eta: This post was so long, I decided to make it longer. Also a lot of negativity, so here's some balance:

I was just so impressed with Swayman's game. Obviously he was hot, but it's more than that. He was so quiet, always in position. Not a ton of "flashy" saves because he was never out of position. That's so much harder than people realize. He was the best player on the ice in every game he played.

SouthShoreSamurai fucked around with this message at 12:37 on May 18, 2024