Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Your 2024 Champion Carnival winner is... Kento Miyahara!

Kento won the tournament after a rousing battle with B Block winner, Jun Saito. Jun put up a spirited fight, kicking out of one Shutdown German Suplex Hold, but falling victim to another. I believe I heard commentary mention that Jake Lee has kicked out of that finisher before, but I'm not sure if anyone else has. It's a very protected move!

This is Kento's second Champion Carnival win, having won in 2019. He joins the ranks of Abdullah the Butcher, Jumbo Tsuruta, Stan Hansen, Toshiaki Kawada, Mitsuhara Misawa, Minoru Suzuki, and Taiyou Kea, all of whom are also two-time winners. Only Keiji Mutoh and Giant Baba have won more than twice.

By winning, Kento will get a shot at Yuma Anzai and the Triple Crown title, likely during the next tour which starts 5/29.

I really liked following and documenting this tournament and I hope everyone had fun too. One of my favorite parts was seeing Kyohei Wada marking out during the main event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i had fun, even if the middle stretch of the tournament was pretty mid. my final power rankings based on "which guys from this tour i would like to see wrestle again the most":

Kento Miyahara
Cyrus (I just think he's neat)
Lord Crewe (ditto)
Yuma Aoyagi
Suwama
Seigo Tachibana
Jun Saito
Rising HAYATO
Kuma Arashi
Yuma Anzai
Hokuto Omori
Ren Ayabe
Kaz Hayashi
Dan Tamura
Kuroshio TOKYO Japan
Hartley Jackson
Ryuki Honda
Shotaro Ashino
MUSASHI
Hideki Suzuki
DBS Jr

jun kicking out of Kento's finisher had me yelling at home, really thought he might have it. kinda seemed like they could have him lose to Yuma Anzai and that'd be a big fun "tag star gets a singles moment" and also a solid defense for Yuma, but I guess I get running Kento vs Yuma

I also think I liked Ren vs Rei more than most of the tournament matches. Rei is such a weird dude because like 90% of the time I find him immensely boring (he did not win me over in the D-Oh) but every now and then he just has a really great match out of nowhere

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 14, 2024

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I definitely hope Lord Crewe will get a better look from some of the bigger indies or even TNA or AEW or somethin cause I thought he was pretty darn impressive for never having worked Japan before. And hopefully we'll see him again in AJPW maybe in the tag league. Him and Hartley worked pretty well together.