Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

I know it's not the same character, but once again we have a put-upon woman freaking out because some man is presenting his unsustainable cockamamie idea and expecting her to fall down to her knees in awe. I know we talk about how sexist Batiuk's writing but this poo poo sucks, especially given how this poor woman would undoubtedly have to do at least thrice her usual amount of work just to get the smirking schmuck's plans go smoothly.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Today EMTs were called to the scene of local student Luann being A MOTHERFUCKING HERO!

Stultus Maximus posted:

Jeep Wrangler, house in the suburbs, butterfly tattoo, exclusively dates cops and firefighters, more quietly racist than said boyfriends but still pretty racist?

Wow, you guys weren't kidding. The way the scene presents Luann not just as someone who found their calling as a nurse, but as A Hero (with authority figures validating her) really does give off 'one of those racist nurse' vibes.

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Pictured: A...thing moving down to...another thing.

One thing that's subtly lazy about nuTrail is how we've never actually seen the trails be an adventure-nature family, like the promotional images for it said. Either Mark is almost always sent to work elsewhere or Cherry's too busy dealing with some inane HOA bullshit, and neither of them spend any actual time with their kid. Jules talked about giving Cherry her own adventures, but it really just comes across as an excuse so she doesn't have to write dialogue for three people all the time and keep their characterization consistent.

Makes me wonder if Jules was ever actually serious about the whole family adventure pitch in the first place or if she seriously thought "family adventure, but with one family member always absent" still counts.

Drimble Wedge posted:

I didn't realize I was this behind but I don't think anyone was missing Scary Gary that much.

I like Scary Gary, so thanks for posting it. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Mother Goose and Grimm

(12/28/2002)

Frank and Ernest

(8/1/1994)

Ziggy

(1/1/1972)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I read scary gary but moreso when there are fewer at once, if that makes sense.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Scary Gary is great and I will take it whenever you can stock it, shopkeep.

amigolupus posted:

Makes me wonder if Jules was ever actually serious about the whole family adventure pitch in the first place or if she seriously thought "family adventure, but with one family member always absent" still counts.

Mark was originally working for Cherry in the first week or storyline or so. I think Jules is such a lousy storyteller she accidentally sexism since Cherry exclusively gets low stakes nonsense. Mixing the family together and having them participate in different types of stories together would be a lot more natural, yeah. Considering Cherry's origins as "I hang out with a bear" and her boar-herder brother it's some magical incompetence to turn her into the dainty lady with HOA adventures.

My favorite part of Jules' pitch is that she thought Rusty was treated like a dog as far as narrative importance and competence went. She fixed that by making him by far the stupidest and most childish character, even for a literal preteen.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Doomykins posted:

Mark was originally working for Cherry in the first week or storyline or so.
There was a bunch of neat ideas in the first story. Like Mark talking to animals; Mark being reassigned to the teen girl magazine; Kelly Welly existing (and being upgraded to a more successful rival to Mark); Cherry's business having more than one customer; Rivera spending more than 30 seconds drawing each strip...

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/17/04

Brenda Starr 3/26-28/53

Smokey Stover 8/6/61

Everyday Movies 11/8/37

"We moved here only a few weeks ago because of the little open space opposite."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 9/23-25/43

Closer Than We Think! 8/6/61

A 1962 prototype of the GM "Unicontrol," which would let you drive your car by joystick.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Whoa, a Family Circus that I actually laughed at? Maybe more of a sensible chuckle, but still

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

Rose is Rose

What the gently caress is this

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Apr. 21, 1963)

Uh oh, TWO heirs out hunting? :ohdear:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

First she's officially declared a goddamn hero, and now she's promoted to professor! What a big day for our sweet perfect girl Luann!!

(Jesus Christ, lady, "keep that creative bunch busy"?? Class is loving cancelled. Let these kids go home.)

Gil Thorp

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

(Jesus Christ, lady, "keep that creative bunch busy"?? Class is loving cancelled. Let these kids go home.)
You can't just let children go home before their guardians can come and collect them.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It keeps being said, but I am constantly astonished by how these dipshits have absolutely ZERO clue of what a university is, or what happens in a university.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

quote:

quote:

So…. This arc. Well, that was a confusing mess, wasn’t it? Probably even more so if you missed a few key updates. Thankfully they’re all here for you to go back and read from the beginning of you’re moved to. I think this is one that I wrote with print books in mind. It’s just doesn’t go as smoothly on a daily update schedule (especially when Instagram like to forget to deliver updates that aren’t videos to followers). Months long arcs always feel like a ride that you were ready to get off of long ago on a, but they make great reading in a collection. Anywho, we got a couple new characters out of the mix so look forward to seeing them. And thanks for hanging in there with me once again.

This reaction from Bondia surprises me, because I thought the Freaky Friday story was actually one of the more coherent semi-fantasy arcs, and never really got actively bad until the substitute teacher turns out to be a goblin and the kids clumsily namedrop all the other semi-fantasy plots they'd been doing. I'd actually go so far as to say it was a fairly good story right up until the goblin reveal. "This substitute teacher has magic powers and is also kind of a dick for no obvious reason" is a pretty good character, I think, similar kind of appeal as the one from Take It From The Tinkersons. Making him a goblin doesn't really add anything.

Anywho yes I am doing more of The Wandering Culinarian since by sheer dumb coincidence the next food is one I'd actually recently discussed in casual conversation with the point of contention being what's the "true" constituent element, if any, of Budae Jjigae, or as I'm going to localize it, Military Stew. The format's a little weird- they seem to be pulled from a different source than the other scans and are formatted to read as a single, long vertical image. I don't know what kind of devices anyone else uses to read comics, but I find the longer ones, when available, are always easier to read, especially with the older strips, so even with the separate images I wonder whether I should be bothering to reproduce the newsprint layout.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Poil posted:

You can't just let children go home before their guardians can come and collect them.

Schwarzwald posted:

Whoever it was that first noted that the comic never really moved out of middle school was dead on the money.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

I just went through an EMT course and got my certification at the end of last year, and for some reason the idea that Luann could potentially see it as her destiny infuriates the gently caress out of me.

Probably because I know how badly the Evanses would gently caress it up.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

I just went through an EMT course and got my certification at the end of last year, and for some reason the idea that Luann could potentially see it as her destiny infuriates the gently caress out of me.

Probably because I know how badly the Evanses would gently caress it up.

good luck rescuing all those poor cats stuck in trees

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
But then she could go to the same fires as Brad and have middle-school sibling bants while people lose their lives and livelihoods.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

First she's officially declared a goddamn hero, and now she's promoted to professor! What a big day for our sweet perfect girl Luann!!

Are you kidding me with this poo poo

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

What the gently caress is this

The ongoing delusion that Girl Baby embodies a concept of innocence and whimsy so pure that it deserves the dedication of any level of creative talent and reader attention.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

amigolupus posted:

I know it's not the same character, but once again we have a put-upon woman freaking out because some man is presenting his unsustainable cockamamie idea and expecting her to fall down to her knees in awe. I know we talk about how sexist Batiuk's writing but this poo poo sucks, especially given how this poor woman would undoubtedly have to do at least thrice her usual amount of work just to get the smirking schmuck's plans go smoothly.

Oh yeah, same tune, different lyrics:

Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (May 21, 1977)

Crankshaft

"Surprised" won't be the word for it, depending on whether that retcon to make her Class of '72 is still in effect or not.

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (July 30-August 1, 1936)

Thimble Theater (December 21, 1940)

Out Our Way (September 21-23, 1944; spoiler for noose humor)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise: Take Me To Your Leader

So why did the british government call in Modesty Blaise and Willy to deal with aliens? Just in case they need somebody in a bikini to do a roundhouse kick?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I AM GRANDO posted:

So why did the british government call in Modesty Blaise and Willy to deal with aliens? Just in case they need somebody in a bikini to do a roundhouse kick?

the British government, i.e. Tarrant, leans on Modesty and Willie whenever he doesn't know what the gently caress, which is often

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

"Ah, they've got a bit under a month to prepare their small town theater to host a major motion picture studio's summer blockbuster premiere with no promised money, assistance, or communication. it'll be fine."

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I AM GRANDO posted:

My guess is that Tarrant smells a rat, and so he's bringing the two best rat terriers he knows.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

rly want that astronaut Godzilla

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

"Follow-up question, do you want it turned into one? Because you'd probably make more money and be happier in the long run."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Powered Descent posted:

My guess is that Tarrant smells a rat, and so he's bringing the two best rat terriers he knows.

If the aliens are real he can trust them to keep a secret, and if they're not he can trust they to think in ways the others don't when figuring that out.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

maltesh posted:

"Ah, they've got a bit under a month to prepare their small town theater to host a major motion picture studio's summer blockbuster premiere with no promised money, assistance, or communication. it'll be fine."

I work at a theater which is frequently rented for studio and industry events and I am biting my tongue so hard at this storyline I can taste metal

Howard Beale fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 18, 2024

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing
Timg’d for panty shot humor

Timg’d for good ol’ breasteeding observations

Haraiso Days

quote:

End of chapter!

Hacchin-Pamos

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Giant Ethicist posted:

Hacchin-Pamos

Same, little dude.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Didn't Luann's painting or sculpture professor made her a teacher's assistant or something? Because I remembered that the second she got a bit of power, Luann immediately let it go to her head and she started harassing Tara.

The professor just made a huge mistake leaving Luanni n charge.

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

"Surprised" won't be the word for it, depending on whether that retcon to make her Class of '72 is still in effect or not.

Beside the fact she's already nearing her 70s by now, this reveal sucks because you know Batiuk is treating it as the woman being pregnant as a reward for the man.

Howard Beale posted:

I work at a theater which is frequently rented for studio and industry events and I am biting my tongue so hard at this storyline I can taste metal

You can tell from how FW handled Lisa's Story: The Movie (Cancelled): The Movie For Realsies This Time that Batiuk is both seething and simping toward Hollywood. He hates those big, Hollywood execs who can't appreciate the sanctity of St. Lisa's Scriptures Funky Winkerbean's suitability as a movie and keep snubbing it. But he would totally bend over backward for them if it meant he'd get his name on the big screen.

So it doesn't matter that blonde lady has misgivings about using their small-time theater for a massive industry event or how she'll have to do a ton of work to prepare for the event with a limited amount of time (and they haven't even talked about being paid for it), they should feel honored that a movie star is deigning to give them a chance to feel part of Hollywood.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Esa Ahto

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Giant Ethicist posted:

End of chapter!

They're sitting in the wrong spots
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwdvVwVuOI0

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 12/18-20/52

Archie 6/15-17/50

Sen-Sen was a brand of breath-freshening candy that was often associated with hiding the smell of booze.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Aces High posted:

"Follow-up question, do you want it turned into one? Because you'd probably make more money and be happier in the long run."

I like the old bats. Hope they stick around.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Selachian posted:

Archie 6/15-17/50

And He Died!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ockhams Crowbar
May 7, 2007
Always the simplest solution.

Because it's in Japanese they sit right-to-left, instead of left-to-right.