Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Is the Wild Magic Sorcerer any good? The randomness could definitely be fun but are there enough benefits to justify it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Docjowles posted:

Does any class have a GOOD cleave? I think I used the battle master Sweeping Attack one time, realized it did 1d8, and never again. Unless you are somehow standing in melee of a bunch of enemies at 2 hp it feels like there is always a better button to hit than any of the cleave type abilities

Also where the hell is this patch Larian :argh: I demand my free content 9 months after release

I think there's a sword or an axe that has a good aoe melee attack. That and

exquisite tea posted:

Once you stick Nyrulna on your throwbarb you will cleave just about anything within a six-mile radius.

is about it. I think they wanted to leave aoe effects mostly to spell nerds.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Once you stick Nyrulna on your throwbarb you will cleave just about anything within a six-mile radius.

Fair, I was thinking of dedicated abilities rather than (awesome) item modifiers. Nyrulna is amazing even if it does often hit your own dudes with its ungodly huge radius.

Also in case it helps anyone, it took me way too long to put together that you don't have to equip a weapon to throw it. Specifically if I wanted to grab the Returning Pike / Nyrulna off the ground because it bugged out and didn't return. You don't have to burn an action equipping it again, just throw it. This seems incredibly obvious in hindsight but maybe someone else is as bad at the game as me.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I was creeping around and saw an alert that something had failed a saving throw against being detected and I saw what appeared to be... a murloc? I decided to open battle by hitting it with a slime bomb and in true murloc fashion it was immediately joined by over half a dozen of his friends. But for once I was paying attention and noticed that all of them had the status "drenched." Since I try to distribute special ammo among the party that meant that everyone had arrows of ice and lightning in addition to whatever spells they might have and so it turned into a festival of freezing and electrocuted murlocs dying in heaps before they could do anything interesting.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

I was creeping around and saw an alert that something had failed a saving throw against being detected and I saw what appeared to be... a murloc? I decided to open battle by hitting it with a slime bomb and in true murloc fashion it was immediately joined by over half a dozen of his friends. But for once I was paying attention and noticed that all of them had the status "drenched." Since I try to distribute special ammo among the party that meant that everyone had arrows of ice and lightning in addition to whatever spells they might have and so it turned into a festival of freezing and electrocuted murlocs dying in heaps before they could do anything interesting.

You can freely swap items around between party members, even dead ones. The only things that cost a (bonus?) action are equipping things. So don't worry about spreading potions, arrows, or scrolls out equally.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I finally decided to start playing with mods, specifically honor mode but with save/load allowed, and immediately got owned by reliance on Script Extender which only works on Windows. Welp so much for that plan. Uh, I mean, imagine gaming on a MAC LOL. Couldn't be me :geno:

Also I'm always surprised people find that murloc area on their first run. I didn't notice it at all. Only learned of it when someone mentioned the solid throwing weapon you get from them 2x Lightning Jabber and I took to google. It doesn't come back like Returning Pike but I use it to open surprise rounds where the game tends not to give you your weapon back. Works great for EK throwers, too.

LifeLynx posted:

You can freely swap items around between party members, even dead ones. The only things that cost a (bonus?) action are equipping things. So don't worry about spreading potions, arrows, or scrolls out equally.

yeah count this as another thing that was not obvious and took way too long for me to figure out. Equipping an item costs a regular action, which probably makes logical sense but sucks

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 1, 2024

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Dick Trauma posted:

That was one of the most hilarious fights for me, since I had Gale fully tricked out for frost and lightning effects, and everyone in the party were built to play off him.

Murlocs didn't make it more than five feet, total.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Is there a key to get past the idol of shar gate, or is your only option mage hand?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

Is there a key to get past the idol of shar gate, or is your only option mage hand?

I usually end up using misty step

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I think you can also wildshape into a cat

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

counterfeitsaint posted:

the key is hitting it with a big hammer

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

As I try to start up another HM run, why the hell is Us so hard to recruit. I've rolled a 7 or less with +3 to dex on a DC 10 like 6 times in a row :argh: I know he isn't important in the grand scheme of things but I am not going to let this run be scuffed within the first 2 minutes on principle. Golden dice my rear end!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Harrow posted:

Man ranged slashing flourish is so busted. I already knew this but drat, it still surprises me that never got tweaked at all

I'm almost considering going Valor Bard instead of Swords on my Durge run just so I'm not tempted to abuse it. I'm planning to stick mostly to melee either way but drat, that's just... so much power for so little cost

yeah when I first tried it out I was like wtf

makes no sense. they even have an effect for Horde Breaker Ranger that actually makes sense for it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really wish there was a general release window for when to expect patch 7. On the one hand I really want to start my Durge run, but on the other, I don't want to risk the patch breaking mods and bricking my modded saves or something like that (since I was hoping to use the "honor mode changes ported to tactician" mod). I'd rather wait for the patch but for all we know that could be months away, right?

Well I guess I could just use this one and play on honor mode, since I don't really care about golden dice or achievements: https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/4757?tab=description

Harrow fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jun 1, 2024

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

thank you, Cave Bear

Cash Monet posted:

Is the Wild Magic Sorcerer any good? The randomness could definitely be fun but are there enough benefits to justify it?

Objectively, it's worse than the other two Sorcerer subclasses, since you can't exactly rely on getting a good effect when you need it, though Tides of Chaos can come in handy for annoying checks or things with high defense. Of course, if you're not doing Honor Mode, it can be very fun, though possibly in the Dwarf Fortress sense of Fun.

Also I guess you're supposed to be able to talk to Yurgir and do his sidequest via a peaceful route but every time I get near him or his merregnons or displacer beast, they immediately aggro*. Do you have to leave Astarion behind to talk to him, or tell Raphael to gently caress off more firmly than I did, or what?
*i mean he still dies pretty quickly, I should probably bump the difficulty up to Tactician at some point but I rather expect I'll just die over and over instead.

And since I'm almost at the end of the Gauntlet of Shar, Shadowheart spared Aylin my first run, is killing her interesting enough to be worth doing this time around?

From a save where Sevda did not die of a lethal hangover, this is still my single favorite selfie in the entire game. Tav is so happy to down the fat zombie's mystery hooch!

Rotting Fuckspider 2: The Fuckspidering. Like most sequels, it's not quite as good as Gale's STOPLICKINGTHEDAMNTHING but still pretty funny.

I thought I found everything in this place my first time through, but no, even with an online map I missed an entire third basement area and the broken Mirror of Loss.
and also a guy who had a very, very bad day.

I didn't notice, or possibly didn't even see, this before, but that seems like an odd thing for Shadowheart to say during the Gauntlet.
Almost like it's foreshadowing that she's not so sure about this whole thing even if she acts the part? also, oh hey it's THE MEME LINE.

EDIT: okay, I don't know why, but the fact that you can just sit in this chair and take it easy after freeing Aylin had me laughing for a minute straight.

"SEVRA! WE NEED TO LEAVE NOW BEFORE SHAR SUPER-MURDERS US ALL TO DEATH."
yeah, but my legs are tired from carrying y'all, it'll be fineeeeeeeeeeeee i'll be there in a minute

EDIT TO EDIT: okay, apparently having everyone else leave the Shadowfell, then having Shadowheart yeet herself to her death, then having Withers revive her at camp completely breaks her script, so don't do that I guess. Also, if you have the rest of your party commit suicide before walking up to Dame Aylin, Shadowheart kills her even if she'd normally spare her left to her own devices.. :eng101:

:siren: EDIT TO EDIT TO EDIT: I think I found a bit of an exploit: before you go down to talk to Dame Aylin, split your party into two groups, with Shadowheart and Tav in one and someone with silence in the other. Have Shadowheart+Tav start the conversation like normal, switch to the other group, have one of them cast Silence on Shadowheart and Tav then have them enter the silence bubble as well. After that, go through the dialogue tree and have Shadowheart kill her. This, well, kills her and breaks Ketheric's immortality, and Shar will be well-pleased, but the shield over Last Light doesn't collapse and everyone there is still alive.

Now, is this going to break horribly later on? idk, I'm probably not even going to continue with her dead unless people say that it's worth trying, but I saw someone mention it and had to give it a shot, and for once a Reddit "my dad's uncle's college roommate works at Larian and..." rumor actually worked!

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jun 1, 2024

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Also I guess you're supposed to be able to talk to Yurgir and do his sidequest via a peaceful route but every time I get near him or his merregnons or displacer beast, they immediately aggro*.

Zodium posted:

if you approach from any direction except below they will turn hostile on sight.
Follow the displacer beast, that worked for me

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I know that I'm supposed to be going to Moonrise but after stumbling upon the murlocs I ran into the smooth talking devil who told me a tale troubling enough that I'm not going to follow up on it right now. Heading back in what I thought was the right direction I found an undead tavern and made a series of very close dice rolls to bring it to an explosive conclusion and now I feel like I have to keep exploring the ghost town because there's just too much good weird stuff in it to leave for later.

EDIT: I was punished for my sin by getting ambushed by a githyanki hit team. Everyone came within a sliver of death but two counterspells saved the day, along with Hae'zel disarming the leader and then picking up her sword. Didn't realize that I could get away with that!

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 1, 2024

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Are you approaching Yurgir from the upper level? Apparently that always aggros him immediately. Walk in from the ground floor of his room and you should be allowed to talk. Not sure why this pisses him off so much :shrug:

Also I know I keep saying this but if you are easily handling combat give tactician a try. It’s really not as hard as people seem to imagine, especially after your first playthrough. Worst case you just turn it back down.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Docjowles posted:

Are you approaching Yurgir from the upper level? Apparently that always aggros him immediately. Walk in from the ground floor of his room and you should be allowed to talk. Not sure why this pisses him off so much :shrug:

Maybe he is only willing to humor you with parley if he thinks he has all of the advantages?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

On my first playthrough I saw him standing there like a rube, trying to pull off the most obvious ambush in history, so I ambushed him back and never realized that he was supposed to be a character until my second playthrough.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

On my first playthrough I saw him standing there like a rube, trying to pull off the most obvious ambush in history, so I ambushed him back and never realized that he was supposed to be a character until my second playthrough.

Same!

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

I'm doing a multiplayer run for the first time and I have a quick question. We made 4 tavs at the beginning however we have more than 4 of us in the group and are just rotating who plays based on our schedules. I'm just curious if it's possible to have the 5th person in our group be able to load in as either a hireling or one of the story characters?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Arabian Jesus posted:

I'm doing a multiplayer run for the first time and I have a quick question. We made 4 tavs at the beginning however we have more than 4 of us in the group and are just rotating who plays based on our schedules. I'm just curious if it's possible to have the 5th person in our group be able to load in as either a hireling or one of the story characters?

You can definitely have 4 different people control any 4 different characters, and swap who controls which characters on per-session basis, but I don't think you can have 5 players at the same time, as far as I know.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Arabian Jesus posted:

I played a bit with the Party Limit Begone mod with a 5 person group, basically when you spawn in you just take control of any PC in the party iirc. Server admin can re-assign. We had 5 Tavs so I never tested with an origin char.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So I defeated the rats, Lyrthindor spawned, conversation started.... and halfway through his second sentence he died to Shadowheart's Spirit Guardians that were still up.

Oh well. Thanks for the loot

E: lol, I made Shadowheart use Guidance to make it easier for me to eavesdrop on her chat with Shar, and then she gets mad about it

Martian fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 1, 2024

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BlazetheInferno posted:

Agreed - He's got a bad case of hero syndrome, and all the negative rumors about his idol and the guy he's going to apprentice under get ignored or waved off as slander despite all the evidence of them being true. But then trouble comes. And he can't seem to keep anyone he cares about safe. He tries to go rescue them, and then only succeeds in needing rescue himself. He's so determined that HE'S the one who's destined for greatness that when the real hero comes around, he's resentful and jealous.

Then later, when he finally meets his "Master"... all the horrible rumors turn out to be kind compared to what the man is actually like, and still he's in denial, trying to rationalize it all to himself, because surely such a great man can't actually be as awful as they all say, right?

And then the final nail in the coffin, and suddenly a flood of acceptance. Acceptance that he was wrong, and yes, the man really is just that bad. And finally some acceptance and gratitude toward the hero, too, for being so persistent in helping him when he stumbled, and finally opening his eyes.

It's a fantastic character arc, and made me glad I went out of my way to keep helping him.

I like that you can find out that Rolan is actually a better wizard than Lorrokan. By Lorrokan's own corpse admittance.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 1, 2024

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Arabian Jesus posted:

you can use party limit begone to get more than 4 players and pcs can just be shoved in the closet (just not this month) when not in use

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Docjowles posted:

Does any class have a GOOD cleave? I think I used the battle master Sweeping Attack one time, realized it did 1d8, and never again. Unless you are somehow standing in melee of a bunch of enemies at 2 hp it feels like there is always a better button to hit than any of the cleave type abilities

Also where the hell is this patch Larian :argh: I demand my free content 9 months after release

Wildheart Barbarian with Tiger heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Docjowles posted:

Does any class have a GOOD cleave?

Yes, it's called any class that holds a smoke powder bomb