Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Day to day bullshit: there is nothing like risking the hotel breakfast buffet and it actually being good. We got delayed hard and got done at like 0300 HBT last night and I just ate my weight in fruit, french toast, turkey sausage and somehow good scrambled eggs.

Why can’t it always be at least passable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

i know its terrible for you but i love scarfing a breakfast buffet and then going the gently caress to sleep. i did it a lot when i flew freight and that is why im the lithe Adonis i am today!

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Flew under the hood for the first time. God drat it's crazy how your brain can just not understand it's orientation after a while.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Rolo posted:

somehow good scrambled eggs.

Why can’t it always be at least passable

Hah, I had similar recently, where the scrambled eggs at the buffet were actually decent!.

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

Kwolok posted:

Flew under the hood for the first time. God drat it's crazy how your brain can just not understand it's orientation after a while.

Just wait until you do recovery from unusual attitudes! I would close my eyes and try to follow the movements of the plane to predict what the attitude would be when the instructor handed it back over. I was wrong 100% of the time.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Walrusmaster posted:

Just wait until you do recovery from unusual attitudes! I would close my eyes and try to follow the movements of the plane to predict what the attitude would be when the instructor handed it back over. I was wrong 100% of the time.

I did do that! I was actually really really good at staying on my heading altitude and speed the first time I did it, at after about 30 minutes of only making a few small mistakes my instructor was like "you're really good at this so it's time to gently caress you up!".

Needless to say I did hesitate way more when I was finally able to look at my instruments because I kept predicting wrong too.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ya unusual attitudes is all about IGNORING what your inner ear is telling you, opening your eyes, interpreting your instruments, and then acting on that information instead of whatever your reptile brain is screaming at you. Which is wrong.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
What is the best website to see real time tracking of general aviation planes, not just big commercial jets

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Kwolok posted:

What is the best website to see real time tracking of general aviation planes, not just big commercial jets

They all do it, it’s just more likely that a GA puttering along low to the ground is more likely to disappear in gaps in the receiver network. Just a question of who has better coverage in the specific area you’re looking in

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ADSB exchange is also better though.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Kwolok posted:

FlightRadar24 has altitude filters so you can screen out everything above 10,000’, if that would help for what you’re trying to do.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

hobbesmaster posted:

This is drifting off into trivia land that may be better for one of the other aviation threads (AI or the TFR Cold War one which appears to be on a forum safari atm) but has there ever been a bail out from a transport category aircraft which… well, didn’t involve DB Cooper, I’m feeling too lazy to figure out the qualifiers there.

A few airliners, or rather prototypes, special variants and their military derivatives have had special equipment for emergency bailouts. I know some examples include the 747 prototype, the 747 based space shuttle transporter, the P-8 (and P-3 - it’s an Electra). Have any actually been used? The 747 bail out tunnel description I found once sounded about as practical as the ejection seats on the space shuttle orbiter.

I'm told the sabreliner was designed to be able to discretly insert agents in East Germany. There is a maintenance hatch accessible through the passenger compartment, and when the speed brake is deployed you can leave the plane in flight through the floor.

This is not exactly a transport category aircraft though.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I'm invited for the first step of the selection procedure at the airline flight academy. Time to brush up my skills in matrix puzzles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I'd love to hear your experiences with the selection process. which airline ab initio program are you involved in?