Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

thathonkey posted:

this is one of the most annoying recent trends. search for technical assistance like eg. how to do something moderately advanced in windows and the only relevant results they return are youtube videos of this. its the absolute worst way to consume that type of information, not that they give a poo poo, because monetization !!!

whats really hosed is that stupid youtube video is actually the best way to review that information because text websites are endless bot written listicles just republishing the same utter garbage for SEO

text on the internet has fully become the realm of bot creation -> bot consumption like above posters mentioned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

This is an actual article about how to save your progress in a modern videogame. I didn't actually look this up, I just googled it based on a videogame I was playing earlier tonight.

There were also two ads covering roughly the top 1/4 and bottom 1/4 of the screen, along with ads down either side of the screen.

quote:

With a game full of tactics and strategy such as Marvel's Midnight Suns, saving the game frequently is something experienced gamers are conditioned to do. On tougher difficulties, one bad draw or a mistake in movement can spell doom for one of the characters or even wipe out the whole team.
[ad]
But when players go in for a save, they may find that the button has been greyed out and is unclickable. Or they can also just plain not be able to locate the save button at all as it is not easily located on the main screen. For those worried about their hard-earned progress, Marvel's Midnight Suns does indeed have a way to save the game.
[link to another article]
[ad]
Saving The Game
How to Save The Game
Manually Saving The Game
Marvel's Midnight Suns Saving The Game
Pause Menu > Settings > Save Game > New Save
[ad]
If this option is greyed out and unable to be used, it is very likely that the current situation won't permit a save. The reasons can vary; some of the scenes are more like interactive cutscenes than actually safe zones. Sometimes players are in the middle of getting more cards and that decision needs to be resolved first. Mercifully, the most common answer is that the game has already been saved automatically.
[ad]
[link to another article]
Auto Saves
Marvel's Midnight Suns Indoor Combat During The Tutorial
The game saves rather frequently, especially during combat when expert players will need to save the most often. Open the load screen (also from the settings menu) and check out the save files that say 'End Of Turn.' Loading one of these won't prevent any damage the enemies did in the subsequent turn, but it can reset a fight to a more manageable state.
[link to another article, not even related to this game]
If players find themselves reloading too often, consider editing the hero decks to use only the best cards. Some cards just aren't thrilling enough to demand consistent use in combat and they should be subsequently set aside. After unlocking better cards, the odds of a good hand can be 100%.
[ad]

Here's how it should be written - and, admittedly, it's not as obvious as many modern games:

quote:

- Press Pause
- Scroll to the 'Settings' tab
- Click on 'Save Game'
NB: You can't save during cutscenes

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Captain Beans posted:

whats really hosed is that stupid youtube video is actually the best way to review that information because text websites are endless bot written listicles just republishing the same utter garbage for SEO

text on the internet has fully become the realm of bot creation -> bot consumption like above posters mentioned

that's true... both options are pretty bad. at least with text you can cmd+F for keywords and block ads (more reasily) so i think i still prefer that. i suppose before too long bots will be able to create that type of video content themselves too. they already basically can

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
you can ask AI to summarize the youtube video

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Manky Tungeon posted:

Remember when a "blog" was something a person wrote about their life or a topic they were interested in, instead of a SEO tool grafted on to the website of every dental office and law firm, written by bots to be read by bots
Omg there was such an efflorescence of people talking about their lives in huge voluminous posts before Twitter came down. As a historian I wish everyone just constantly make a record of their lives and happenings and those two years were primal primary sources

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
One of the only people I ever followed on Twitter was a server at a bar I frequented. She would post about a hundred times a day and almost 100% of her posts were of this format:

"yup .. im at the store lol"

"yup ... i m n a movie theater lol"

"yup.. i am at home lol"

It was unironic and fascinating.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

I'm bringing back livejournal

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.
I skipped a million pages to tell y'all i watched a linus tech tips vid today on how to de google your life and one of his suggestions was a search engine called startpage. it's got plugins to make it default. I've been playing around with it for about an hour and it's pretty good. I have been using ddg but it uses bing as a back end which is also a bunch of ai bull crud? try it out.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
My phone autocorrects a to s, like "this autocorrect is s piece of poo poo" now I know how the guy in misery felt when he lost his e key

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Soundcloud is def shittier though. The way they'll just block some tracks in your country is dumb.

I had to use it to upload a few tracks first time in like a decade and it was CLICK HERE TO BUY PREMIUM CAN'T DO THAT ON A FREE ACCOUNT BUY PREMIUM TO UPLOAD MORE THAN 1 TRACK HAVE YOU CONSIDERED UPGRADING TO PREMIUM PLUS?

moist banana bread
Dec 17, 2023

banana Jake!
You guys are just allergic to marketing. There's a bimonthly shot for that now. I saw it on a Reddit ad.

This is what I see. Often I don't even look at a website ... Plus every single website is now just an ad delivery vehicle, so often I'm looking for (query)<reddit> because I just want people's opinions.

moist banana bread fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 24, 2024

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

blackmet posted:

About 25% of my job is opening, reviewing, and editing PDF's.

Sometimes they open in Chrome. Sometimes they open in Edge. Sometimes they open in Acrobat.

Sometimes they can be edited in Acrobat, but not in Edge or Chrome. Sometimes it's vice versa.

Sometimes they can't be edited at all, even though they have editable fields, no matter what you do. But sometimes if you close it or save it under a different file name, it edits fine. Or gets so corrupted you can never open it again.

Oh, and there was the time that my coworker accidentally sent a client a PDF with a completely different clients information, but you only saw that if you opened it up in Acrobat instead of Chrome or Edge! That was fun to explain.

The battle for the crown of the One True PDF Reader.

moist banana bread
Dec 17, 2023

banana Jake!
PDFs have always been bullshit. Why send plain text when you could send a file with a format complicated enough maybe there's malware in there?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

blackmet posted:

Sometimes they open in Chrome. Sometimes they open in Edge. Sometimes they open in Acrobat.

Sometimes they can be edited in Acrobat, but not in Edge or Chrome. Sometimes it's vice versa.

Sometimes they can't be edited at all, even though they have editable fields, no matter what you do. But sometimes if you close it or save it under a different file name, it edits fine. Or gets so corrupted you can never open it again.

Oh, and there was the time that my coworker accidentally sent a client a PDF with a completely different clients information, but you only saw that if you opened it up in Acrobat instead of Chrome or Edge! That was fun to explain.

The answer here is honestly to get something that can generically edit them with no conditions because it doesn't actually use the file format features for editing. My software of choice for this is Affinity Photo. You don't get things like, 'Signature Boxes' and 'Fields' - you have to manually make a new text object and just place it on the form, but it never doesn't work.

Boomers somehow think PDF = Secure. All the paperwork for buying my house was just me editing realtor PDFs this way, and no one was really the wiser.

moist banana bread
Dec 17, 2023

banana Jake!
The AI (who I guess doesn't get to be named Cortana because they blew that load too early) says it was meant as an os cross compatibility thing, and to make viewing a document on a computer and printing it consistent. It makes more sense in the context of it's inception, just barely predating HTML.

Which sounds good. The not being able to edit it is basically "people are stupid."

moist banana bread fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 24, 2024

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

moist banana bread posted:

PDFs have always been bullshit. Why send plain text when you could send a file with a format complicated enough maybe there's malware in there?

I felt the same way until I had to start writing physics and math papers. I do what needs to be done in LaTeX and it spits out a PDF that looks the same no matter who's reading it, with any ambiguity being my fault and not some quirk of the reader. I also like how it handles vector formats well, so all my diagrams look nice and crisp no matter what resolution it's being read on.

I use SumatraPDF so that might also be why I don't hate it so much.

moist banana bread
Dec 17, 2023

banana Jake!
I mean that makes a lot of sense, if it's been an open standard since 2008 I'd think Office would do a better job of editing them. Maybe it does now, I never use my computer for anything that matters.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Boomers somehow think PDF = Secure. All the paperwork for buying my house was just me editing realtor PDFs this way, and no one was really the wiser.

I really need to try exploiting that at some point.

How did PDFs get to that stage anyway? Yeah sure Adobe but what's the full story? It's always been a pain in the arse so why did people stick with it?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

meat police posted:

I'm bringing back livejournal
Still around actually, owned by a Russian company but it exists. One of the best celeb news sources, ONTD, is still on there (I was and will eternally forever be a millennial teen girl on the internet, w/e)

moist banana bread
Dec 17, 2023

banana Jake!

Croccers posted:

It's always been a pain in the arse so why did people stick with it?

This is my impression of it:

(Rubbing a can against concrete to open it)

"gently caress why did they make this so hard!"

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Croccers posted:

I had to get a physical for a job abroad a few months ago, which I got done while still in America. The doctor forgot to sign it, which I didn't notice until the company sent it back to me, and his office tried to charge me $40 for the privilege of him signing a form he forgot to in the first place, so I just signed his name and edited it into the form, obviously secure since it's a PDF. gently caress you, I have universal healthcare now.

I would cite American healthcare as something that's gotten shittier but I'm pretty sure it's always been this way.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

teen witch posted:

Still around actually, owned by a Russian company but it exists. One of the best celeb news sources, ONTD, is still on there (I was and will eternally forever be a millennial teen girl on the internet, w/e)

My first fiance wrote or contributed or something to that in... 2003? 2004? That's so wild it's still there.

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already

Croccers posted:

How did PDFs get to that stage anyway? Yeah sure Adobe but what's the full story? It's always been a pain in the arse so why did people stick with it?

here I will summarize it concisely for you

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

moist banana bread posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48tFB_sjHgY

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The pdf retains the elements of the original especially when they are scanned

Also not everyone had WordPerfect back in the day

I guess word now (rip WordPerfect)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
WordPerfect is still sold and updated!

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Arms_Akimbo posted:

My phone autocorrects a to s, like "this autocorrect is s piece of poo poo" now I know how the guy in misery felt when he lost his e key

Mine autocorrects as to SS with alarming frequency.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

blackmet posted:

skooma512 posted:

The battle for the crown of the One True PDF Reader.

If you're working on a Mac, Apple Preview opens all pdfs, and can make pretty much anything *into* a pdf, and the fields issue disappears entirely bc you can just edit straight on top of poo poo. It's free and built into the Mac OS and it's my go-to for pdfs because of this issue. I even have my signature saved in it and then just auto-sign poo poo, resize it to fit the signature field and everything, whammo blammo

If you're on PC, my apologies that you have to work with pdfs. It's a big enough gap in how the two devices handle pdfs that I've brought my personal apple laptop into work before just to be a pdf workhorse. PCs are *that bad* at it. The difference between just dragging and dropping poo poo into Preview and now I've got a usable multi-page pdf, vs the clusterfuck that is importing pages into Adobe Acrobat, is night & day.

(that said I'm mostly filling out and processing pdfs, not making them for business - so if I was on the other side of the equation and designing the docos, I probably wouldn't think Acrobat is a rip-off, because it absolutely does offer more robust options in the pdf-building world. But Adobe convincing people they need Acrobat just to fill out/sign pdfs is a loving racket)

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 24, 2024

moist banana bread
Dec 17, 2023

banana Jake!
Fruit computer bad.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

There's no such thing as a good computer. You just have to pick the one that pisses you off the least.

I'm currently in my Linux phase for the simple reason that, for all the fiddly nonsense involved, it doesn't deliberately try to gently caress you over. The user does that to themselves.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The hip hop operating system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Coxswain Balls posted:

I use SumatraPDF so that might also be why I don't hate it so much.

SumatraPDF is the way to go and it doubles as the only EPUB reader I've found for Windows that isn't hot garbage.