Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I think this is the first time I've ever seen private ground-level solar before. Around here(Denmark) it's usually shared for neighbourhoods or big solar power/heating plants. Probably because it's pretty rare to have the acreage for it here unless you're a farmer or otherwise truly living in the boonies.

During the summery half of the year our rooftop solar covers something like 90% of our power useage(obviously it doesn't handle night-time), but then again we also don't have AC, electrical heating or anything else that really eats a lot of power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Found this through the "threads to check out" announcement.

I will say this. If you want to save a fuckton of money, check out some of the places online who sell used panels. They usually source from commercial solar ground installs that have been shut down for whatever reason (turned into a golf course, who knows).

I have bought from this place before, when the pallet was shipped a few top and bottom panels were cracked, possibly the shipper's fault, but the seller went through the trouble to get me reimbursed, so they get my recommendation for being honest kids (but yeah ask them to pack carefully, and still plan for breakage of a couple, this poo poo is glass after all): https://gogreenmansolar.com

Just as an example, look at these they're selling now: https://gogreenmansolar.com/collections/used-solar-panels/products/315-watt-ja-solar-panels-pallet-qty-only-23-pieces

That's 23 panels at 315 watts each, 7245 watts nominal, for $1587, free shipping on full pallet orders. 22 cents per watt. You can probably haggle if you call them, they get thousands for pennies on the dollar.

I had a quote recently from another company for 23 brand new, modern higher efficiency panels , they were 460 watts each, 10,580 watts nominal, $7594 shipped. 72 cents per watt. 25-year warranty but are we that optimistic "Qcell" or anyone else is going to be around 25 years later?

There's many more of those used panel sites and they sell some much more recent high-efficiency panels too, like Sunpower. Unless you need the absolute max power and min weight and area, or you don't want to DIY the installation and installers refuse to put in your used panels (they wanna mark up the ones they offer) then you might as well save yourself thousands.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 19, 2024

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Of all the expenses in solar installation, actual panels are the last poo poo to worry about. Last I checked, a decent panel is like $100, while most people rarely get more than a dozen installed.