Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
i just got an iPhone 14 plus what games are good to play im okay with anime and gacha mechanics if the gameplay is fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyro
Aug 1, 2021

I sang Bye Bye Bye
and all I got was this
STUPID AVATAR

Kingdoms: New Lands - side scrolling castle builder/survival

Armello - 4 player board game style deck builder

Reigns - Decision making game with a comedic story, but infuriating to 100%

EVE Echos - just don’t, unless you hate yourself. But it is the only good mobile only MMO imo

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

If you like Star Wars, Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes is kind of fun.
If you like Marvel, Marvel Strike Force is fun.

The gacha mechanics in those are not nearly as bad as I've seen in other games.
It will still feel like they're reaching into your pocket but at least they're not trying to grab as much as other games.

Lobus
Jun 24, 2016

What happened here?
:parrot:
The mobile ports of KOTOR 1 and 2 are really well done.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Muse Dash if you like rhythm games, it's a one-and-done pack dlc or individual song packs, not a gacha. It's got a good mix of techno, jpop, kpop, instrumental, etc. as well as crossovers to other games like Touhou.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
If you have Netflix, you can access a bunch of really good titles like Into the Breach, TMNT and my personal fav Laya's Horizon. Really beautiful Skydiving/gliding game made by the Alto Odyssey team

Ise
Nov 7, 2019

Kyro posted:

EVE Echos - just don’t, unless you hate yourself. But it is the only good mobile only MMO imo

How times change.

Erisanne
Aug 3, 2022
I'm currently playing Zold Out, and really enjoying it. It's a gacha game, but a lot of common characters are perfectly viable if you don't care about rankings or leaderboards. The gameplay does involve more strategy than the usual 'pull for the best units and put the game on auto,' which describes most gacha games. A lot of boss fights are actually challenging, and I find the graphics and gameplay to be charming.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Arknights is probably the most mechanically enjoyable "gacha" style game I've played, and you can easily play it without spending any money as long as you don't care about getting specific characters (drop rates are basically such that you get highest rarity characters frequently, but there's no guarantee for specific ones).

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I like gachas but i never spend money on them. FEH is a really good one. Genshin Impact and Honkai Star Rail are both really good free games, but again they are gachas.

As far as real games go, all the kingdom rush games are fantastic. Ridiculous Fishing is good. Vampire Survivors, obviously.

I'd recommend an apple arcade sub, there's a shitload of good games on there and they remove all IAPs and require them to work offline. It's really great!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Slice and Dice and Into the Breach are amazing tactical puzzle games.

Edit: the former is only on android

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Epic Seven is the only gacha game that has held my attention, I have been playing on and off since it came out a few years ago. Its a very anime turn-based battler similar to Summoners War. For most people pvp is the endgame, but there is a ton of pve stuff to do and an actual storyline happening if you care about that stuff. Every new character that comes out gets their own side story and almost all of them play a role in the main story of the game. The end-game gameplay loop is farming better equipment for your characters, mostly for pvp, but you can absolutely just play through the game for the story and not spend any money. I am completely free-to-play and I have gotten to the highest ranks of pvp (briefly) and imo they are very generous in letting f2p players get a lot of summons for the different units. On the pve side of things, it has auto-battling which is what you will be doing most of the time, with the occasional difficult boss that requires manual play, and a lot of the fun is getting good enough gear or building specific teams that can auto the hard stuff. Its the best-looking phone game I have ever played as well, and each character has voice acting in three different languages for their skills (Korean or English/Japanese dubs)

delightful
Jul 20, 2022
If you're into both superheroes and fighting games, Marvel Contest of Champions is pretty good. For a fighting game built on swipes and taps, it has a surprising amount of depth and complexity. Plus the game has been going for like 8 years now so there's a huge cast of characters available to play with.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

MahjongSoul is good stuff

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction
If you like JRPGs, Another Eden is a good one: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3881362 The story, characters, art, and music are generally good to great, and the gacha mechanics are completely optional and also quite generous. It stands well on its own and for folks of a certain age who grew up with classic Square RPGs (especially Chrono Trigger) it's the business. I doubt it'll stress a new phone at all, I play it on a 2020 iPhone SE and I've never seen a slowdown.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Slay The Spire - single player deck builder

Magic: Arena - the only multiplayer deck builder I’ve ever liked

Six Ages: Ride Like the Wind - copper-age horse nomad simulator. The sequel is out on pc and hopefully soon on iOS

Star Trader: Frontiers - very complex space captain game, maybe read some guides but I keep coming back

Cultist Simulator - manage an occult organization as you seek transcendence. Simple presentation, excellent writing.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
slice & dice

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Most Kairosoft games are pretty good

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Slay the spire is fun on my iPad.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
What's a good game that I can play for like 3 minutes at a time, launches in 2 seconds (v. important) and is free to $5.00 on android? A lot of the games mentioned here like KOTOR or an mmorpg are too long form for me, I would play them on a PC I guess.

My current most played game is the lichess app because you open it in 2 seconds, do one chess puzzle and you're done pooping.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

tinder

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Worf posted:

tinder

I just told you that my favorite android app is chess why are you recommending a dating app.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Salt Fish posted:

I just told you that my favorite android app is chess why are you recommending a dating app.

you like puzzles and want something that you can do while pooping

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

how are you done pooping that fast

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Horus Heresy: Legions is my one true phone game, but I'm blind to the card draw issues since I've been playing daily since beta like four years ago.

It's a decent enough CCG and probably the best Warhammer phone game.

Blitzkrieg Fire isn't free, but if you want a WW2 that's worth playing on the phone, it's basically your only choice.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
Geometry Dash too. It's like 3$ when not on sale and has way too much content for that price.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Worf posted:

Slay the spire is fun on my iPad.

This is available on Apple Arcade.

Kyro
Aug 1, 2021

I sang Bye Bye Bye
and all I got was this
STUPID AVATAR

I found Retro Bowl recently. It’s an excellent game to play while pooping and you can quit in between plays. Just don’t close the app from background or you’ll loose progress from your current match

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

The Bramble posted:

Star Trader: Frontiers - very complex space captain game, maybe read some guides but I keep coming back
Old but good post. It handles the complexity quite nicely. The tutorial eases you nicely into the game without restricting you too much.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Salt Fish posted:

What's a good game that I can play for like 3 minutes at a time, launches in 2 seconds (v. important) and is free to $5.00 on android? A lot of the games mentioned here like KOTOR or an mmorpg are too long form for me, I would play them on a PC I guess.

How do you feel about Idle "games"?

Infinity Island scratches this itch for me.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Recently found this website: No-bullshit games

It's a curated list of games on both ios and android without ads or mtx "bullshit". Games with no ads or IAP at all are automatically accepted but It also accepts games if they have stuff like a one-time "full version" / "no-ads" upgrade or one-time DLC expansions.

here's the most-recently added games in both categories:

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
There Is No Game is a fun puzzle game. Highly recommended.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
Slay The Spire

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I'm in the hospital for an indeterminate amount of time helping my mom while my terminally ill aunt passes and I need something good that I don't need to actively engage with please. I'm a little tired of dominating wordrails

reservoir hogs
Jan 24, 2024

egg
meganum (android) and rullo (iphone) are both really good if you enjoy math games. they're basically the exact same game (i think meganum has a few extra modes?) made by the same company but there was some publishing rights hubub so they weren't able to keep selling rullo on android so they just made another game. rullo costs a few bucks and meganum is free w/ads but theres an iap to get rid of ads for a few bucks. i've been playing the game for probably 8+ years at this point so i really like it.

reservoir hogs fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Apr 30, 2024

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

hallo spacedog posted:

I'm in the hospital for an indeterminate amount of time helping my mom while my terminally ill aunt passes and I need something good that I don't need to actively engage with please. I'm a little tired of dominating wordrails

Loop hero is kind of half idle game and half roguelike.

almost1337
Jun 14, 2013

The male likpatons turn around the nucleus formed of female boobons and neutral bolsterons
Slice & Dice is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I used to enjoy playing Powder when i had an android phone, but am now on ios and the port is garbage and also not free. Is there anything decent in the way of relatively simple roguelikes?