Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Dick Ripple posted:

I do not think anything man portable is interfering with GPS guided munitions.

You'd be surprised, basic GPS jamming is extremely easy because of how weak the signals are from distance alone. Mounting a large area jammer on a vehicle would be trivial, making one man portable would be heavy but doable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?
There are portable systems in U.S. inventory that jam electronics out ~100m LOS and they also fuckered with the GPS systems on our trucks in Afghanistan. We didn't switch them on until we were a good ways away from the convoy.

The Thor III is a set of three backpack mounted jammers. Each backpack blocks a certain frequency. Only like 25-35 pounds a piece. Something similar could probably be cranked out to jam GPS specifically pretty quick if there was sufficient drive to get it done.

I used the Thor back in 2013 so I'm sure technology has advanced a lot since then.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Short range GPS jamming shouldn't be hard because that's available even to civilians. Whether that will be enough to divert a GPS guided warhead, I'm not so sure.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Deteriorata posted:

They have no problems with personnel

They do, which has been said a lot by officials and analysts. Do you think the recent mobilization law was passed out of nowhere?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

fatherboxx posted:

They do, which has been said a lot by officials and analysts. Do you think the recent mobilization law was passed out of nowhere?

I misspoke on that. I meant that the population is going to be able to support personnel for a long time. The post in question was talking about how Ukraine was going to run out of people for military service, as if it was some unsolvable immediate problem.

In WWI, France, a much smaller country than Ukraine, mobilized millions of men multiple times. Ukraine also will mobilize women. They're not going to have a problem in that regard. They have plenty of personnel at their disposal and will continue to have them for a long time.

They have a current problem with insufficient mobilization, but it's a solvable problem. It's not something Ukraine should be giving up the fight over.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Excalibur rounds are also supposed to have back up inertial guidance as well in case GPS is jammed so its weird its not being used if there is known GPS jamming in effect at the target.

That GPS could be jammed has been a known issue since at least the late 90's and the US military was well aware of it. That is why Excalibur has 2 guidance packages built in. Its one of the reasons why its so expensive to make.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Excalibur rounds are also supposed to have back up inertial guidance as well in case GPS is jammed so its weird its not being used if there is known GPS jamming in effect at the target.

That GPS could be jammed has been a known issue since at least the late 90's and the US military was well aware of it. That is why Excalibur has 2 guidance packages built in. Its one of the reasons why its so expensive to make.

The shell has to figure out it's jammed and do it appropriately, which can actually be pretty challenging. Like there was a recent moon probe where a rapid change in sensor readings made the probe decide that it's sensor was broken, then executed a perfect landing based on its inertial guidance and assumptions... 5 km above the surface.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

I misspoke on that. I meant that the population is going to be able to support personnel for a long time. The post in question was talking about how Ukraine was going to run out of people for military service, as if it was some unsolvable immediate problem.

In WWI, France, a much smaller country than Ukraine, mobilized millions of men multiple times. Ukraine also will mobilize women. They're not going to have a problem in that regard. They have plenty of personnel at their disposal and will continue to have them for a long time.

They have a current problem with insufficient mobilization, but it's a solvable problem. It's not something Ukraine should be giving up the fight over.

If the population was enthusiastic about mobilisation, then the passing of the recent law wouldn't have been that contentious or difficult. The Ukrainians that want to fight in the war already do so. The only ones left or mobilise/conscript are the ones that are very interested in not having to fight.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The shell has to figure out it's jammed and do it appropriately, which can actually be pretty challenging.

Oh they can't set it manually to inertia only before sending it?

Yeah if you have to depend on the hardware to figure out its being jammed that seems like a pretty major flaw!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If you're using a smart shell with inertial guidance only I'm not sure that's really worth the expense compared to using a standard shell.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

From what I can find there is the opposite of a backup, the shell will not explode if GPS is jammed to prevent collateral damage,

quote:

The second function is the ballistic impact point (BIP). Upon firing, the Excalibur conducts an internal built-in-test. If a problem is detected, the Excalibur will enter a fail-safe mode and continue to fly its ballistic flight path to the BIP. The round will not detonate while in the failsafe mode. This safety feature enables the maneuver commander to manage the risk of a failed round, avoiding unintended collateral damage.

https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/tr/pdf/ADA495246.pdf page 15

GLSDB may have similar safeguards which would explain the high failure rate.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Popete posted:

If you're using a smart shell with inertial guidance only I'm not sure that's really worth the expense compared to using a standard shell.

Almost any guidance is better than no guidance and if the inertial guidance is supposed to be a back up for the GPS, which is already paid for and installed on all the Excalibur shells, why not use it if GPS is jammed?

CeeJee posted:

From what I can find there is the opposite of a backup, the shell will not explode if GPS is jammed to prevent collateral damage,
Doesn't load in either Chrome, IE, or FF for me but if true then GPS jamming would effectively act as a off switch for Excalibur rounds which is a huge lol-worthy gently caress up for something supposed to operate in a modern battlefield.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Kestral posted:

This is what drives me crazy about people saying "The lines aren't moving, Russia is stalled and failing" - they're still killing Ukrainians even if they can't gain much ground. Territory doesn't need to change hands to wear down an army, in theory they can just keep killing each other over the same village until one side just runs out of people. And if the infantry thins out enough, we'll see those huge Russian breakthroughs. Russia's pool of troops is much larger, and Ukraine is no longer inflicting hilariously disproportionate casualties after a year of being left high and dry by its allies. It's a crisis, and it was entirely avoidable and was in fact being predicted by the more sober commentators in the first year of the war - hell, the first six months of war.

Thats the problem with all the "Ukraine must never surrender!" posts not grounded in the real world, I'd think. Ukraine needs to inflict roughly a 4:1 ratio of casualties (or better) to successfully bleed out Russia rather than themselves. Which is very difficult on the defensive, and completely impossible on the offensive.

So if Russia stops attacking in early 2025 when they start to run out of material, and decides on a frozen conflict where they just occupy and fortify what they have currently, what exactly is Ukraine going to do? Spend years launching costly offensives as Western aid and, more importantly, their manpower pool, dwindles?

This is the (slightly horrifying) Ukrainian population pyramid, the idea that they have large numbers of young men just waiting to be called up to serve is just wrong. Its why lowering the draft age to 25 was so politically difficult, and lowering it further will be even more difficult (and will have even smaller numerical results).

It just unfortunately seems the most likely outcome at this stage is a North Korea/South Korean frozen conflict situation. Ideally with Ukraine getting enough Western support to prevent another invasion in a few years time after Russia re-arms, but that will come down to the US and EU.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Deteriorata posted:

France population in 1914 was 40 million, which is actually higher than pre-2022 Ukraine, with a significantly better population pyramid, and a completely different society in regards to value of a human life and self-interest.
Mobilizing women, if attempted, is obviously going to look extremely bad and I doubt that it ever will come to it, except in some catastrophic scenario where capitulation is imminent anyway.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

fatherboxx posted:

France population in 1914 was 40 million, which is actually higher than pre-2022 Ukraine, with a significantly better population pyramid, and a completely different society in regards to value of a human life and self-interest.
Mobilizing women, if attempted, is obviously going to look extremely bad and I doubt that it ever will come to it, except in some catastrophic scenario where capitulation is imminent anyway.

There seems to actually be a growing movement to mobilization women in Ukraine, and the MoD expanded the conscription pool of women at the start of the war, though they haven't used them for battle, instead relying on female volunteers to actually fight.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Blut posted:

Thats the problem with all the "Ukraine must never surrender!" posts not grounded in the real world, I'd think. Ukraine needs to inflict roughly a 4:1 ratio of casualties (or better) to successfully bleed out Russia rather than themselves. Which is very difficult on the defensive, and completely impossible on the offensive.

Or, and hear me out here I know it’s wild: we could actually fully support Ukraine with all the equipment, training, etc. they’ve needed for two years.

(This will never happen, which is immensely frustrating)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
...And Russia just missiled a large supermarket in Kharkiv, and followed up by hitting some smaller retail locations.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

Kestral posted:

Or, and hear me out here I know it’s wild: we could actually fully support Ukraine with all the equipment, training, etc. they’ve needed for two years.

(This will never happen, which is immensely frustrating)

This is playing a larger part than some governments are probably willing to admit. The more the West is willing to support, the more Ukraine will put into it. The question is only if the West is willing to pay those costs.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

OddObserver posted:

...And Russia just missiled a large supermarket in Kharkiv, and followed up by hitting some smaller retail locations.

From a purely military standpoint I really don't understand the point of bombing civilian targets. I guess the purpose is to demoralize the population? Try to get people to leave the area? It doesn't even seem like it works well at doing that. Cruise/ballistic missiles are expensive and no doubt Russia is not able to build as many as they would like due to sanctions so I find it really odd they basically waste them on blowing up shopping malls.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Charliegrs posted:

From a purely military standpoint I really don't understand the point of bombing civilian targets. I guess the purpose is to demoralize the population? Try to get people to leave the area? It doesn't even seem like it works well at doing that. Cruise/ballistic missiles are expensive and no doubt Russia is not able to build as many as they would like due to sanctions so I find it really odd they basically waste them on blowing up shopping malls.

It's hard to tell through the fog of war what strikes are deliberate, what strikes are mistakes/inaccuracy, and what strikes are due to defensive fire causing crashes. But sheer terrorism does seem to be an explicit goal of modern Russian military methodology (i.e. targeting hospitals.)

You could say the point is to deplete defensive weapons, but you could do that just as well targeting military targets.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Charliegrs posted:

demoralizing hasn't worked in any war yet, but there's some use in making the enemy put his aa assets in cities instead of them using them to protect military targets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I'm not a big fan of the ableism and using harmful stereotypes in Zelensky's remarks. It's not the first time he has done this. They should send over some media and sensitivity training with the rest of the aid.
Ukraine war: Russia attacks Kharkiv supermarket - authorities

www.bbc.com posted:

President Zelensky added: "This strike on Kharkiv is another manifestation of Russian madness.

"Only madmen like [Russian President Vladimir] Putin are capable of killing and terrorising people in this way."