Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Runa posted:

The core gameplay of Gunevo was good, it was the insane match structure and monetization. No such thing as a true casual queue, even unranked games used OW Competitive style rules. And they were charging like, a thousand dollars worth of dupe credits for Char Aznable's Zaku skin.

Also they never figured out backfill so if anyone disconnected or crashed from the 45 minute long casual games you were now stuck in a 45 minute long 4v5

God that game was so close to being amazing :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BabyRyoga posted:

I heard about this, something about "lanes" in a shooter sounds a little weird. It seems like they are trying to reinvent the DOTA
it sounds like monday night combat

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Since I get all my Overwatch stuff for free, I'll probably stick with it.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Lanes are a pretty common feature in shioters.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Lammasu posted:

Wasn't the Diablo game a huge success?

You mean Diablo Immortal?

The game is legitimately pay to win and has one of the worst monetization I've ever seen in a game.

It made a lot of money for gambling addicted whales who make 6 figures it is a joke of a game that only gets away with it because of the type of game it is

That's not going to work with one of the worlds most popular brands

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

I got pulled into playing OW2 for the first time since launch on Friday and had a really good time. So much that I jumped into comp and had ~5 games in a row that were really fun, followed by 4 games where people ragequit/began throwing after a minute or two because theire teammates refused to do exactly what they wanted them to do. So nothing has changed and they don't ban these people fast enough, it was absurd how toxic they were and I'm not sure how some words in text chat wouldn't be an insta-permaban.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

SirKibbles posted:

You mean Diablo Immortal?

The game is legitimately pay to win and has one of the worst monetization I've ever seen in a game.

It made a lot of money for gambling addicted whales who make 6 figures it is a joke of a game that only gets away with it because of the type of game it is

That's not going to work with one of the worlds most popular brands

It will work with just about any brand as long as they hit where it matters from a psychological aspect, because targeting whales ensures that the game will still profit even if most people never pay a dime.

What's better, 100,000 players paying 4.99 each, or 100 players paying between 8,000 and 20,000, and 99900 people paying nothing?

Diablo Immortal is a much better example of this in action, but the same is true for ow2. They would rather sell thousands of Cowboy Bebop bundles for like 45 bucks or whatever it was than tens of thousands or 100k+ single skins at 4.99 or 9.99

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 20, 2024

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.

Great points. Just another reason to hate this monetization scheme. Like sure, they gotta make money... but this only points out how it's not built for the customer's enjoyment/enrichment, only it's built for the customer's money.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

the Mythic Prism shop has made it more obvious how thin the contents of the battlepass are. they're just so full of trash. haven't bothered buying the latest one and I don't feel like I'm missing out at all.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Those weapon charms are the most poorly implemented nothing in all of the BP. Not even a terrible idea, really, they just aren't cosmetically visible in practice.

The dev team in general seems to be very reluctant to do very many weapon-related cosmetics, as we just recently got the Emerald or Jade or whatever ones for comp. If they'd have been releasing a new weapon skin every season or two, you'd have a jeweler's display case and half the Periodic Table of Elements to gently caress around with for ruby, diamond, salt, and zinc flavored weapons

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I wonder it's because of the strange lack of weapon inspect animations? They were showed off in the OW2 trailer, then never seen again.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I wonder it's because of the strange lack of weapon inspect animations? They were showed off in the OW2 trailer, then never seen again.

They didn't figure out how to sell them yet.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Less content!
More microtransactions!
Less content!
More microtransactions!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Mastery Gauntlet was pretty thin tbh, it was the last remaining rump of PVE.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

All of the PVP modes have been highly scripted gimmicky jokes. Sure, the seasonal ones are fun for a few days, but not sustainable. It was never that kind of game. I don't think the guts are there to make good PVE content, even if they wanted to invest in it. The wild balance changes and hero reworks would also be detrimental to PVE.

It does suck that they broke promises, but should have stayed in their lane to begin with.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

headcase posted:

All of the PVP modes have been highly scripted gimmicky jokes.

I'll always go to bat for the OW1 Blackwatch event, I feel like it hit every note that Overwatch PVE should. The mission flowed great, the special enemies were highlighted, it had great character interaction and plot detail, and the map was reused for PVP.

The OW2 PVE missions were somehow worse than something they put out years before.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I'll always go to bat for the OW1 Blackwatch event, I feel like it hit every note that Overwatch PVE should. The mission flowed great, the special enemies were highlighted, it had great character interaction and plot detail, and the map was reused for PVP.

The OW2 PVE missions were somehow worse than something they put out years before.

I have fond memories of doing the uprising event with a bunch of randos on legendary difficulty. Finding the right group to finally make it almost work and then staying as a group to get it done was very fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

From a recent AMA regarding Tank roles being just about counter-switching.

Make up your loving mind already! Y'all were screaming about how OW2 is all about removing hero counters.