Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

poor waif posted:

Is anything known about the shooter? I saw he was detained, but I haven't seen anything more yet.

not yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ninjas assassinating slovak politicians, got it.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
how tragic

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I hope he won't have to deal with a lifetime of the Bolsonaro syndrome, that would be awful

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

First reports of chest and head injuries.

Reuters says 4 shots, with one hitting the abdomen.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

I thought ninjas used sneakier approaches than that

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
They're saying Fico's life is in danger and he's being transported to Banska Bystrica official facebook post. Apparently the perp was a 71 year old man.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I wonder who is going to get blamed for this. Islamists? (((globalists)))? The gays?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I wonder who is going to get blamed for this. Islamists? (((globalists)))? The gays?

coalition parties are already blaming opposition, independent media, liberals, progressives and so on

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Communists, leftists and European Union. No, it doesn't make any sense.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
This sucks, and there is basically no way that it won't end badly. :ohdear:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah, this sucks.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

This septuagenarian kills facists

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

advanced statsman posted:

They're saying Fico's life is in danger and he's being transported to Banska Bystrica official facebook post. Apparently the perp was a 71 year old man.

That would be born in 1953, just the right age to have been active during the Prague Spring. I'm only speculating but it wouldn't be too far fetched if in a senile mind the events of the recent years had awakened old traumas and he was resisting Warsaw Pact occupation again. Or at least I would offer that to the judge if I was his attorney.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Nenonen posted:

That would be born in 1953, just the right age to have been active during the Prague Spring. I'm only speculating but it wouldn't be too far fetched if in a senile mind the events of the recent years had awakened old traumas and he was resisting Warsaw Pact occupation again. Or at least I would offer that to the judge if I was his attorney.

I love how people constantly write this kind of fanfiction based on the most frivolous of details.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Mokotow posted:

Yeah, this sucks.

It really does.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Rumour going around that the guy has been identified and was the founder of a fringe political movement whose primary policies were promoting non-violence and Roma hatred. So shooting Fico seems a counter-intuative way to achieving either of those goals.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
That's also a very interesting pairing of beliefs, usually I expect violence to go together with racism.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You can implicitly add "and also Roma hatred" to any political ideology and movement in the region. Promoting humane treatment of animals... and also Roma hatred, etc

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Is Roma hatred considered a fringe belief nowadays? Slovakia is so much more progressive than many other European nations.

Unless it's only that when connected to nonviolence...

e: beaten by stein

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Nenonen posted:

Slovakia is so much more progressive than many other European nations.

what

if you compare it to Russia or Belarus, I guess

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Nenonen posted:

Slovakia is so much more progressive than many other European nations.

Are you loving insane?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

goblin week posted:

Are you loving insane?

That's kind of a personal question, don't you think?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Leave it to goons not to get an obvious joke.

steinrokkan posted:

You can implicitly add "and also Roma hatred" to any political ideology and movement in the region. Promoting humane treatment of animals... and also Roma hatred, etc

:hmmyes:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

The shooter was apparently a poet and founder of a local book club.

Well that explains, poets are always sus. Time to ban that filth.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

A large market hall burned down in Warsaw a few days ago, leaving several hundred people, mostly Vietnamese, in dire straights. Rumor has it that another large commercial building was also about to be burned down, but the incendiary devices failed to go off and now the hunt is on for a diversion group. It’s being reported by a journalist source - a podcast from RadioZet - but very few other details are available.

Also a lot of border fuckery lately, mostly around Królewiec on the Lithuanian side and on the Narva river between Estonia and Russia. Fun times!

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
My friends in Canada are hearing about it, and that Pilish and Western countries believe this was done using local assholes but planned and financed by GRU.

This basically makes Russia an actual terrorist state. Although my Canadian friend suggests that it's not actually terrorism so much as just being bad people, them seeing us as enemies and therefore our civilian property and infrastructure as legitimate targets even without a state of total war. Simply, they dislike us, this hurts us.

Not sure which interpretation is worse. Although at least, unless the goal is to ironically lower purchase perception of their immediate threat, paying for malls to burn down means that they're not actively tormenting mass murder through bombs and chemicals let alone preparing to march troops across the border.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Russia has been committing actual terrorism throughout Europe for years, this changes nothing. But don't touch their assets though, that would be bad!

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
<other threadishly> it's a small price to pay for avoiding nuclear annihilation

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

I'm sorry, is the base motivation of most if not all terrorists not "they dislike x and want to hurt them"? Seems like a distinction without a difference to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Regardless of legitimacy (every terrorist organization acts rationally against a legitimate target from their point of reference) Russian attacks in the West do not seriously destroy the ability of their enemies to prosecute war. Blowing up random pieces of infrastructure on this scale doesn't affect the military or logistical capability of a state. And so their only effect is causing fear to affect political outcomes, the definition of terrorism. The same is true about their scattered attacks on infrastructure in Ukraine itself - a fair-play attack in war requires credibility to actually achieve a military goal, if the attacker strikes knowing he can't achieve the stated military goal under any circumstances, it's generally not considered a legal / valid military operation but rather a war crime.