Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Cracking race there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Marc is gonna win this championship lmao

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

jorge is gonna win but its going to be an insane 4 way battle with vinales as the spoiler. itll be the best season in years.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Arson Daily posted:

jorge is gonna win but its going to be an insane 4 way battle with vinales as the spoiler. itll be the best season in years.

And then Ducati will sign Marc anyway and it'll be the tragedy of Jorge Martin

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Arson Daily posted:

jorge is gonna win

Bagnaia just looked like he had been lobotomized in the interview right after the race and my guess would be that Jorge ain't going to take Marc doing the same to him nearly as well.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Russian Bear posted:

And then Ducati will sign Marc anyway and it'll be the tragedy of Jorge Martin

marc will go to lenovo with bastianini and jorge and pecco are gonna be on hondas because gently caress you in itailian

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Racing aside, the marketing value of Marquez on a Ducati must be enormous. That has to be a big (the only?) factor for the corporate bosses. If Martin is serious about "factory seat only" for 2025 then Aprilia is not a bad option. Miller's seat would go to Acosta, and no one wants an HRC or Yamaha seat.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Taking one of pramac's factory bikes and giving it to gresini seems like the easiest way forward if Martin wins the championship/finishes second behind bag and goes to the factory team

If Marc wins the championship then I guess Martin goes to Aprilia

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

do you all think pramac would give martin the boot if he doesnt win or is that martin wanting a factory ride even if he has to change maufacturers? i cant imagine pramac booting him for coming in second

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I don't pay that much attention to the off-track stuff, but afaik Martin said he wants a factory seat for 2025, and will leave Ducati if he has to. He felt passed over with Enea getting the seat (it's my understand the Pramac riders are actually under contract with Ducati whereas Gresini is an independent team -- this could be wrong!). Ducati is definitely happy with Martin's performance. The problem is they now have Marc Marquez under their umbrella, and he's not washed up.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

There were rumors of Pramac changing to be a Yamaha satellite, so who knows.

I still think Marc isn’t just contracted to Red Bull but they’re effectively his agents and representatives, which means KTM might still be on, or possibly a non-red 2025 Ducati at Gresini next year depending on what Pramac does.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

This weekend was Martin at his absolute best nailing everything and Marquez absolutely hosed everything before the sprint up. To me the choice is pretty obvious, when Martin is on it he's on it, but he got lost so loving bad last year that he had to just wholesale copy Bagnaia's setup to get back on track.

I do wonder how much Martin regrets jumping from the KTM career sausage grinder though.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The other high comedy outcome this season is Marc spends all season chasing a win, to only ever come in 2nd at best, but wins the championship.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

i do wonder what lenovo was thinking getting bastianini instead of jorge because like, enea is good but not great same with miller why not have the guy who came in second last year? yeah jorge fucks up but he also won like every sprint last year and the bag man has had some really spectacular losses too.

idk i actually kinda hope jorge wins this year because i dont teally like pecco and marc has already won 8 times and if martin doesnt do it this year i dont think hes ever going to.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

The other high comedy outcome this season is Marc spends all season chasing a win, to only ever come in 2nd at best, but wins the championship.

Honestly this, looking at the results thus far I can picture him having a Rossi circa 2015 season while the others crash here and there

Toe Rag posted:

I don't pay that much attention to the off-track stuff, but afaik Martin said he wants a factory seat for 2025, and will leave Ducati if he has to. He felt passed over with Enea getting the seat (it's my understand the Pramac riders are actually under contract with Ducati whereas Gresini is an independent team -- this could be wrong!). Ducati is definitely happy with Martin's performance. The problem is they now have Marc Marquez under their umbrella, and he's not washed up.

Martin's boss has confirmed he's not riding for pramac next year one way or another

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 14, 2024

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

lmao get hosed canet

that Acosta crash was incredible

solid GP race

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Arson Daily posted:

i do wonder what lenovo was thinking getting bastianini instead of jorge because like, enea is good but not great same with miller why not have the guy who came in second last year? yeah jorge fucks up but he also won like every sprint last year and the bag man has had some really spectacular losses too.

idk i actually kinda hope jorge wins this year because i dont teally like pecco and marc has already won 8 times and if martin doesnt do it this year i dont think hes ever going to.

Bastianini finished 3rd in the championship with 4 race wins in 2022, when he was on Gresini and Martin was with Prakac. Martin finished 9th and hadn’t yet won a race. Enea’s ‘23 was waylaid by injury and then struggles with the new bike, but in ‘22 it was clear he deserved the factory ride.

I half suspect Martin will go elsewhere even if Ducati offer it to him (and they should) because jt seems like he’d hold a grudge, but beating Pecco while wearing the same colors would be satisfying, too.

I think Marc’s RedBull association is the biggest challenge for him going to factory Ducati with their Monster sponsorship. But since RedBull pulled back from Honda when Marc left, maybe they’d bring their coin to replace Monster at factory Ducati.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Surely there cant be any more setup nouse that Miller has from his factory Ducati years that KTM value enough to keep him around after this season

I mean his performances are getting down to the level of perennial backmarker Nakagami

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Eh he's still faster than agusto and he has his moments

Also huge marketing value

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I find it pretty funny that Marc blew up a $40 Mil/year contract or whatever and people unironically are throwing up his red bull sponsorship as something that could actually kill a Ducati factory move. It falls apart under any kind of logic.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Brief interruption for those like me who just read bookmarked threads: The TT is almost here, and as I threatened at one point in the past, I've made a thread dedicated to it. Pop on by if you feel up to it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4060743

Back to regularly scheduled programming!

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Brief interruption for those like me who just read bookmarked threads: The TT is almost here, and as I threatened at one point in the past, I've made a thread dedicated to it. Pop on by if you feel up to it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4060743

Back to regularly scheduled programming!

Thank you thank you thank you.... See you over there!

Taka hasn't been up to much and I know the Honda is still in a bit of crux, but man, I don't think I've seen a rider this incognito in quite some time...

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

looking at nakagami's wiki page and its kind of a headscratcher. 2 wins in moto 2 and a handful of podiums but only 1 pole in motoGP and thats it. how exactly is he in the premier league of motorcycle racing? it seems like he'd be a really fast club racer and not much else

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Arson Daily posted:

looking at nakagami's wiki page and its kind of a headscratcher. 2 wins in moto 2 and a handful of podiums but only 1 pole in motoGP and thats it. how exactly is he in the premier league of motorcycle racing? it seems like he'd be a really fast club racer and not much else

Are there better Japanese racers he jumped over for a Japanese manufacture to hire?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

look i am but a simple motor bike enthusiast whos only been watching motogp since 2021 are you suggesting that motorsports teams might be engaging in overt nationalism?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Arson Daily posted:

Ogura doesn't want the Honda seat because the bike is poo poo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bip Roberts posted:

Are there better Japanese racers he jumped over for a Japanese manufacture to hire?

There were not at the time. Idemitsu are only interested in Asian riders and they've courted the likes of ogura and chantra but nobody's been dumb enough to jump on that Honda. Honda are very pleased to have a Japanese rider on their bike. These two factors mean he's stayed on long after proving he sucks. LCR can't afford to run two bikes otherwise.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Somebody could correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Ogura was actually offered it a couple years ago and turned it down.

I suspect with the way Honda does its engineer rotation that they probably value somebody who can give feedback in their native language, especially now, even if he is abjectly terrible as an actual racer.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Arson Daily posted:

My hazy recollection is that one time he got pole in MotoGP was at Aragon i think? and he binned it 2 laps in or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dema
Aug 13, 2006

That was sad that he couldn't handle the pressure. Was super bummed for him.