Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

General Battuta posted:

“The Resistance is Hezbollah” could only have led to a lot of extremely normal, cool discussions about Star Wars.

As opposed to the extremely normal, cool discussions about Star Wars we already have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They could have been cooler and normaler.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I don't know. Sure, there is actual historical precedent for such a thing, but I think it's just bad writing. They just stuck with the idea of a rebellion against the evil empire.

I'm sure it might be explained in some book or something, but I don't see why the Republic, which was established by an armed rebellion defeating the Empire, would just say "no way" to continuing to fight what was left of the Empire and leave it to a secret little resistance and let the First Order build up this huge death swarm fleet and a planet killer base.

I guess the movie is telling us this is what they did, so it's not wrong or anything, just kind of stupid.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The idea isn't bad but the execution and intent is entirely built around underdog Rebels versus all-powerful Imperials which robs the idea of any nuance.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The actual answer is that someone, somewhere, wanted it to be about Rebels vs Empire again, and made it happen. Then they left it to various tie-in novel authors to explain why it was the same underdog story, and those authors managed to do a decent job of justifying the existence of "the Resistance" but then totally failed to explain how the First Order that they are resisting got to the point of being treated like a legitimate political entity rather than the sci-fi equivalent of a redneck militia that they more accurately resemble. Dealing with Starkiller Base shouldn't have been something that got a dozen or so fighters thrown at it in a desperate attempt to re-live past glories, it should have been Waco in space.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Palpatine's behind it all

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I don't know. Sure, there is actual historical precedent for such a thing, but I think it's just bad writing. They just stuck with the idea of a rebellion against the evil empire.

I'm sure it might be explained in some book or something, but I don't see why the Republic, which was established by an armed rebellion defeating the Empire, would just say "no way" to continuing to fight what was left of the Empire and leave it to a secret little resistance and let the First Order build up this huge death swarm fleet and a planet killer base.

I guess the movie is telling us this is what they did, so it's not wrong or anything, just kind of stupid.

This is exactly what happened in Europe between World War I and II. The Allied powers were so desperate not to get back into another global war that they let Hitler get away with everything. Rearming, building a gigantic war machine, seizing territory. Even after they'd declared war on him for Poland's sake they hesitated to attack until it was too late for France.

It's honestly one of the strongest decisions they made in the sequels, the idea that fascism thrives on the tolerance and timidity of its enemies. They just didn't follow through on it.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I haven't read the books but it seems plausible that not all planets wanted to join the new republic, some actually liked the empire and supported the First Order, and within the new replublic there was significant opposition to maintaining a military or at least a conflict with the First Order whose significance was either downplayed or was viewed as a legitimate power. So, the Resistance forms, and heck if the First Order was dealt with, maybe the new republic would have been next...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Chewbacca, who is apolitical, starts a conflict with the New Republic because they keep pulling over his freighter for smuggling and it's costing his honor-family business through the taxation of trade routes. His actions influence the Resistance who he has a profitable deathstick contract with, who begin targetting the New Republic fleet with hit and run attacks. This culminates in an attack on the StarHugger base before it can implement a galactic speed limit of 12 parsecs which would cut significantly into Chewbacca and Family's Apolitical Freight Company's profit margin.

Mulaney Power Move fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 31, 2024