Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Ironhead posted:

Huh, interesting that a clew is a ball of thread.
and clue in its modern usage is a metaphorical reference to escaping the labyrinth using that ball of thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I already knew the word "avuncular", but I'd never got around to looking it up and only figured out its meaning through context - "good-natured, wise, earthy" and so on

Turns out it literally means "like an uncle"

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Also one of my favorite words to describe birds.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Phy posted:

I already knew the word "avuncular", but I'd never got around to looking it up and only figured out its meaning through context - "good-natured, wise, earthy" and so on

Materteral means aunt-like, but is hardly ever used.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

deoju posted:

Materteral means aunt-like, but is hardly ever used.

drat that'd be a good username.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It's probably too long

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
TIL Punk has a specific sexual meaning as an epithet

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Here's a Hebrew one I like: "tithadesh" (or tithadshi as the feminine version), from the word "hadash" (new).

It's a word you use to acknowledge someone has something new, usually a major or obvious thing - new haircut or item of clothing, new house, car, etc. It's polite to say it after noticing/being told of said new thing.

I like it because it's a way to tell people you noticed their new haircut without having to tell them it looks nice.

A similar concept is "otsukaresamadesu" in Japanese, which is used to acknowledge that someone has finished some work or task, without actually saying "good job".

kiminewt has a new favorite as of 11:59 on May 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Phy posted:

I learned about “avuncular” when reading “Foucault’s Pendulum” and a character described a fantasy machine called an “autoavunculogratulator “ which was a machine that would automatically congratulate you /shake your hand in the manner of a kindly uncle.