Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Mintymenman posted:

Life ala Henri by Henri Charpentier and The Apprentice by Jacques Pepin give a really great view of the French kitchen through the entire 20th century. Both are autobiographies, with all that entails. There's also White's memoir The Devil in the Kitchen which is also a great read. For more contemporary, Blood, Bones, and Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton and Notes from a Young Black Chef by Kwame Onwuachi.

I wouldn't put Gabrielle Hamilton in the same category as White or Ramsey in terms of rear end in a top hat chef, but admittedly it's been awhile since I read her book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've been making homemade sandwich loafs for months now, it's really good. Helps me limit my sodium intake. Whilst grocery shopping today, I was looking for deli meats to make sandwiches with throughout the week. I had to turn away all the choices are the sodium content is ridiculous, one brand had 400mg per slice which is just wild, and would mean I couldn't use any cheese or condiments if I wanted to keep the sandwich reasonable.

I've opted to make my own chicken slices, so I've got some boneless breast and thighs marinating in garlic, ginger and onion slices with some apple cider vinegar and oil. I plan on using a george foreman grill to cook them and then I'll cut them into slices to use as sandwich filler. Will the breast and thighs go nicely together, or should I cook them differently? The george foreman has done a decent job for me cooking breasts nicely, but I don't know if thighs need a bit longer to turn out tender.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

I wouldn't put Gabrielle Hamilton in the same category as White or Ramsey in terms of rear end in a top hat chef, but admittedly it's been awhile since I read her book

Any somewhat realistic portrayal of professional kitchen workers will have the general rear end in a top hat vibe even if the author isn't a yelling megadickhead

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Thighs will need more time or you'll have some very connective tissuefull bites

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Qubee posted:

I've been making homemade sandwich loafs for months now, it's really good. Helps me limit my sodium intake. Whilst grocery shopping today, I was looking for deli meats to make sandwiches with throughout the week. I had to turn away all the choices are the sodium content is ridiculous, one brand had 400mg per slice which is just wild, and would mean I couldn't use any cheese or condiments if I wanted to keep the sandwich reasonable.

I've opted to make my own chicken slices, so I've got some boneless breast and thighs marinating in garlic, ginger and onion slices with some apple cider vinegar and oil. I plan on using a george foreman grill to cook them and then I'll cut them into slices to use as sandwich filler. Will the breast and thighs go nicely together, or should I cook them differently? The george foreman has done a decent job for me cooking breasts nicely, but I don't know if thighs need a bit longer to turn out tender.

Yeah, you’ll want to cook the thighs longer. Anything over 160f for breasts gets super dry, but thighs are actually best (IMO) a over 180.

re: Sodium content, I’m sure you’ve done way more research than I have, but I’m curious if you have played around with 50/50 Potassium Chloride/Salt as a way of reducing sodium?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Doom Rooster posted:

Yeah, you’ll want to cook the thighs longer. Anything over 160f for breasts gets super dry, but thighs are actually best (IMO) a over 180.

re: Sodium content, I’m sure you’ve done way more research than I have, but I’m curious if you have played around with 50/50 Potassium Chloride/Salt as a way of reducing sodium?

50/50 is the main type I use in most of my cooking. I keep sea salt flakes on hand for when I feel a little adventurous and want to revisit my decadent old ways (salt sprinkled tomato slices on toast, oof). Honestly speaking though, reducing salt intake has been a net positive with a marginal impact on flavour. It's made me avoid heavily processed foods mainly, since those are the worst culprits. But I'm finding that everything else is just as delicious with a fraction of the salt compared to what I used to liberally use. I've also really adapted to the lower salt, so things that were previously regularly salted are now almost unpleasant to eat from a saltiness perspective. I used to cook a batch of rice and throw in a tsp of salt, and I'd consume that rice in one meal. My goodness.

Unrelated, I spent big bucks on lamb leg. They're rather hefty cuts on the bone. I've thrown em into the pressure cooker and I just checked at the 45 minute mark, still very much tough. I remember a poster here saying it's almost impossible to dry out meat via braising, so I'm hoping this holds true. Would suck to end up with a dish of very expensive shoe leather. I've decided 2 hours seems like a reasonable cook time at high pressure, and we're 45 minutes down.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 18, 2024

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

If you’re slicing your own meat for sandwiches, try to use a sous vide if you have one or have access to one. I really like thin slicing sous vide, turkey or chicken breast for sandwiches or whatever and it almost always comes out great.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I had forgotten how drat good chicken thigh can be, I haven't had it in years. Threw a few sliced up into the sandwich and it was great. The fat has basically all rendered out and it's so tender, but I'm apprehensive that refrigeration will turn it chewy and gross.

The lamb turned out absolutely perfect after what I believe was 2 hours. It was fall off the bone tender.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Thanks for the literary recommendations. Some names I've never heard before. Currently I'm reading Carême's French Cookery, and there's this recipe for basic stock that requires pre-boiling the vegetables and then cooling them off in cold water, before doing anything with it. Why?

e: oh wait it's to reduce the flavor. ok hmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Qubee posted:

Unrelated, I spent big bucks on lamb leg. They're rather hefty cuts on the bone. I've thrown em into the pressure cooker and I just checked at the 45 minute mark, still very much tough. I remember a poster here saying it's almost impossible to dry out meat via braising, so I'm hoping this holds true. Would suck to end up with a dish of very expensive shoe leather. I've decided 2 hours seems like a reasonable cook time at high pressure, and we're 45 minutes down.

What size of pressure cooker do you have that you can get a leg of lamb in it?

I must get some lamb shoulder, I love a bit of lamb shoulder.