Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Eeeh idk I think the momentum of the genre has been consistently towards zooming and power fantasy for awhile now. I wish it wasn't personally but it is what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It has been that way since the year 2001. Going fast and killing insane amounts of monsters at lightspeed is what the entire ARPG genre is founded on.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

JonathonSpectre posted:

All I can say is it is EXTREMELY frustrating to fight a boss for 5-6 minutes and get hit by something big because shift or whatever is on cooldown and get to start all over.

IMO Rahyeh is an example of a really fun boss. He's got some monster big hits, but every one has a decent tell and the fight is much more about you recognizing them and positioning yourself right. I'll run his timeline multiple times just to get to fight him, it feels like a fun challenge where you have to be pretty on your game. Every time I've ever died to Rahyeh I've said, "Oh, look, I hosed up" and went right back at him.

Also IMO Lagon is an example of a totally unfun boss. There's just too much going on, and it's way too easy to shift/port/whatever away from a one-hit directly into a combo wave/claw/lightning bolt. That second phase of running around trying to stay on the 30% of the screen that is not actively deadly is pretty dreadful, VERY rarely have I died there and thought "Oh I hosed up" instead of "What the gently caress was I supposed to do there?"

Then if you get through all that bullshit he doesn't even die, just says "Ha ha you little fucker that was fun to watch, now scram!"

Shout out to God Hunter Argentus and his voice actor, the smuggest loving guy. "This lance, will make me a GOD!"

I'm on the complete opposite side. Rahyeh is silly easy and every single ability he has is solved by just walking leisurely. Lagon still isn't particularly challenging mechanically, but you need a somewhat balanced build to deal with all the chip damage and some situational awareness to dodge the big attacks. Its a way more fun fight.
I hope we get a Majasa monolith soon, thats a pretty cool fight that I wanna see at lvl100

The Little Kielbasa posted:

I love souls games where I spend days grinding my molars into dust trying to beat a tough boss for a cool item.

I love ARPGs where I spend days effortlessly blowing through thousands of baddies to get a cool item with a miniscule drop rate.

Combining the two sounds like an absolute nightmare.

I'm not saying LE is there, but it seems to be where ARPGs are heading. And I don't like it.

Going extremely fast while mapping (or monolithing I guess) and having mechanically challenging boss fights are not mutually exclusive though

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Lagon isn't that hard of a fight once you get the telegraphs down.

Eye turns red = laser incoming, be moving, he'll aim the laser at where you were when he started casting and sweep towards that side of the map IIRC. I don't think he ever goes all the way to the edge so you can always hide from it if you don't get hit by the initial tick. Do not try to dash through it.
ducks his head down = 1 burst of laser
Moon symbol on the ground = don't be in it
He either raises his claw, or pulls it back to do the smash or grab attacks, but im pretty sure those are tankable.

I usually end up just going back and forth between the 2 tentacles to dodge his various things. The waves are just cold damage so shouldn't be too bad if you have max cold resist.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
From the Discord:

quote:

https://youtu.be/Rer2_13tbao

The Harbingers of Ruin update comes to Last Epoch on July 9th.

It's just a teaser trailer with a few frames of the new bosses.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

if you just follow the waves around clockwise they dont even touch you.

the other day i learned that you can actually skip the wave phase by killing him fast enough. had never done that before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Wuxi posted:

Going extremely fast while mapping (or monolithing I guess) and having mechanically challenging boss fights are not mutually exclusive though

Trash being trivial makes it less annoying (though NRFtW and PoE2 at least seem to be going in the opposite direction). But even if it's only bosses that are hard, just thinking about "Melania's difficulty with Baal's loot table" makes my wrists, teeth, and brain hurt.

I'm probably just bitter because my reflexes have always been garbage and certainly aren't improving in my dotage.