Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

yes

c.f. his posts in this thread
the certfuck is coming from inside the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMathyFolf
Sep 14, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

many different users state they do not like or want me issuing certificates

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Subjunctive posted:

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Subjunctive posted:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Subjunctive posted:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

also i hear a lot of people pronounce "muckraking" as "muck racking" in the last decade so it may just be good old linguistic drift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

muckraking is digging through the muck to find what people are trying to hide, instead of just taking them at face value and quoting their press releases verbatim like most of the other journalists do

whether it's meant positively or negatively depends on who's saying it and why. back when the term was coined in the late 19th/early 20th century, there were a lot of rich and powerful people who felt that the muckrakers were being maybe a little too disrespectful and unforgiving to rich and powerful people

a muckrake is apparently "a rake for scraping up dung", an etymology which pre-dates modern plumbing and sanitation (e.g. the new york department of street cleaning, founded 1881, previously a bureau under the NYPD but predictably the police were loving useless at street cleaning)

the rich and powerful of the 19th century complaining about muckraking may have been still literally making GBS threads in the street (or making GBS threads inside and tossing it into the street after, if they were a bit fancier) and making work for the literal muckrakers. or possibly the practice of making GBS threads into the street died out in the U.S. by the time the metaphorical muckrakers arose, the timeline is a bit hazy to me