Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh nvm this pedo protector can go fully gently caress himself.
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1790410999733866566

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6COmYeLsz4c

Hey look, it's the whole movie.

At least it's not hiding that it's a musical. (Not that it could.)

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 15, 2024

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

thrawn527 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6COmYeLsz4c

Hey look, it's the whole movie.

At least it's not hiding that it's a musical. (Not that it could.)

I guess I wasn't familiar with Wicked, other than knowing it was an origin story, but reducing the mystique of Oz to basically a mean girls story sure is something I guess.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

BonoMan posted:

I guess I wasn't familiar with Wicked, other than knowing it was an origin story, but reducing the mystique of Oz to basically a mean girls story sure is something I guess.

That's pretty much what the stage show is, yeah. And Act 1 ends with the broom scene at the end of this trailer. Last I heard, they were still planning on splitting this into two movies, so that's probably your finale. Act 2 is muuuuch shorter, so I imagine the second movie will have to add stuff from the book. Or hopefully they've come to their senses and made it one movie, in which case this trailer isn't exactly the whole movie, just 2/3's of it.

It's a good show with great songs, so I'll see this. Never read the book.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

thrawn527 posted:

That's pretty much what the stage show is, yeah. And Act 1 ends with the broom scene at the end of this trailer. Last I heard, they were still planning on splitting this into two movies, so that's probably your finale. Act 2 is muuuuch shorter, so I imagine the second movie will have to add stuff from the book. Or hopefully they've come to their senses and made it one movie, in which case this trailer isn't exactly the whole movie, just 2/3's of it.

It's a good show with great songs, so I'll see this. Never read the book.

I do love musicals so I'll watch it as well. But drat the vibe is a let down for me.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

BonoMan posted:

I do love musicals so I'll watch it as well. But drat the vibe is a let down for me.

I mean, there's more to the plot than that, I don't want to get into spoilers. But that's definitely the vibe for at least half of it.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEoQAoEGLhw

Even Dune can't escape the 2:1 aspect ratio. :argh:

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
I’m not particularly interested in Wicked, but I am curious just how that two-movie split works; generally even diehard fans seem to agree that almost all of the best material is in the first act

Edit: just watched the trailer and while I wouldn’t quite say it’s hiding that it’s a musical, it’s yet another trailer for a musical that seems embarrassed to be one (all of the singing is offscreen, about three seconds of dancing in the whole thing)

FoneBone fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 15, 2024

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I have the feeling that they're going to load up the second half with a bunch of Wizard of Oz stuff to get people back into the theatre. Hopefully they'll keep the body horror stuff.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

FoneBone posted:

Edit: just watched the trailer and while I wouldn’t quite say it’s hiding that it’s a musical, it’s yet another trailer for a musical that seems embarrassed to be one (all of the singing is offscreen, about three seconds of dancing in the whole thing)

You've gotta wonder about how market research gets them to this point. They know people like musicals because they keep making musicals, and there's basically a cottage industry dedicated to pumping out TV shows with musical episodes, but I guess people don't like being told that what they're about to watch is a musical...? Because every trailer I've seen for one recently -- Wonka, Mean Girls, this -- seems to downplay that part pretty aggressively.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

That's pretty much what the stage show is, yeah. And Act 1 ends with the broom scene at the end of this trailer. Last I heard, they were still planning on splitting this into two movies, so that's probably your finale.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

:drat:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's kinda weird how Oz is actually a series of like 14 books but all the media is about the first one. I guess Return to Oz is based on the second and third one?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

FoneBone posted:

I’m not particularly interested in Wicked, but I am curious just how that two-movie split works; generally even diehard fans seem to agree that almost all of the best material is in the first act

Including songs takes up valuable time if you want to include plot.

If you have a bunch of singing for half the run time you get immediate NOs from large sections of the population. People aren't opposed to songs in films but they seem to be really opposed to songs in trailers.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Hence why this is the best trailer of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRqxyqjpOHs

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

kiimo posted:

Including songs takes up valuable time if you want to include plot.

If you have a bunch of singing for half the run time you get immediate NOs from large sections of the population. People aren't opposed to songs in films but they seem to be really opposed to songs in trailers.

Imo it would be better if more trailers were the equivalent of singing and they contained a lot less plot. Obviously not what gets bums on seats though.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

koolkal posted:

Hence why this is the best trailer of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRqxyqjpOHs

I remember when this went out. It was a genuine fuckup, wasn’t it?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It was my boss, before I worked here. They sent out the 5.1 instead of stereo for digital and it was a major fuckup. So you only got two channels of audio.

Now every time we mix my boss has them play it on a laptop so he knows how it sounds they way the majority of people will hear it and also that it is indeed in stereo so that never happens again.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Here's a good trailer btw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut9GvlhB9f4
Late era Waters is mad underrated. A Dirty Shame, well, fucks.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

It was my boss, before I worked here. They sent out the 5.1 instead of stereo for digital and it was a major fuckup. So you only got two channels of audio.

Now every time we mix my boss has them play it on a laptop so he knows how it sounds they way the majority of people will hear it and also that it is indeed in stereo so that never happens again.

loving lol I'm guessing it was the rear surrounds that were playing back in the stereo mix? Your boss was silly, but who's the scrub that uploaded it to YouTube and didn't watch it first before publishing?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

lol it was a systemic failure on many levels

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
whose the moron who forgot the first rule of modern video/audio editing, “test it on a phone first”

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

it was before my time but I'm pretty sure they aren't here anymore

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

BonoMan posted:

I guess I'd say the vibe is "Mean Girls, if Mean Girls was set in 1933 Germany".

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

kiimo posted:

Please make this happen again. I need it to happen again.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
yeah I understand you don't want your place of employment gently caress up again, kiimo, but you have to understand that it would be very funny

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYTeTK57sCQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's kinda weird how Oz is actually a series of like 14 books but all the media is about the first one. I guess Return to Oz is based on the second and third one?

I am kind of surprised that nobody has tried to do a real TV adaptation of the Oz books (and not just the re-imagings we've gotten) since there is kind of an arc running through the first six books which involves stuff like the rightful ruler of Oz returning (which is accidentally pro trans because there's a whole thing about a boy actually being a girl, changing gender and name with no one referring to the character by the old name or gender,) an invasion from an evil army and finally Dorothy and her family permanently moving to Oz and the country shutting its borders permanently (not really.)