Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

redshirt posted:

I could never shake the George W Bush association with Archer. Was that deliberate, or just me seeing it?

The folksy-ness, the Aw shucks demeanor, the war crimes… it tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

His decisions in literally episode 2 are so wild.

They find a ship. It doesn't answer their calls. T'Pol says scanning could be seen as an invasion of privacy. He does it anyway and finds biosigns. They still don't answer so he decides they'll just go ahead and board the loving thing.

It's a ship of corpses and traumatizes his comms officer. Before even going she admits environment suits make her a bit claustrophobic. He lightly berates her for this.

T'Pol says whoever did this to that ship is probably coming back. Archer shits his pants and orders the bridge to resume course.

Later he's having dinner with T'Pol and Trip. He starts yelling at T'Pol for abandoning those corpses. Trip keeps whining how jealous he is he didn't get to go.

They go back and the alien ship returns as T'Pol warned, kicking in their poo poo. Their weapons are useless. Another ship shows up thanks to them having gotten off a distress signal from the corpse ship. It thanks the humans are the ones that killed their people cause their footprints are all over the ship

Hoshi tries to explain the situation and he keeps yelling at her "TELL HIM TO SCAN THE PUMPS" and she's keeps saying "I don't know the word for pumps!" She tries desperately to get a conversation so they can see the enterprise is not the bad guys. Finally she is actually having a dialogue, trying to talk to the guy, and everytime mid sentence Archer keeps yelling "What's he saying!" in her ear.

He's kind of entertainingly incompetent in like a Tim & Eric way. It is absolutely NOT on purpose from the show creators but I'm watching it kind of like a horror film

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Christ, Archer is really an unrepentant rear end in a top hat.

He gets repentant later on. But yea, he starts out very much American Tourist Abroad mode. It's only in later seasons that he, and a lot of the other crew, start to get a lot closer to the idea of starfleet we're used to.