Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Monsters kicks rear end. I don’t think that’s fair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Rogue One has some salvageable parts but a lot of it just pads the runtime with nothing substantial to say.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

banned from Starbucks posted:

Monsters is probably one of the worst films I've ever seen

Monsters was bad but I liked the ending. The luminous monsters meeting over the gas station was a lovely image.

And it was much better than Monsters: Dark Continent which was insanely lovely.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The guy who directed the best star wars movie to come out in decades? Cool!

I mean, I’m not going to disagree with your Star Wars rankings but that still puts Rogue One pretty far away from good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t like rogue one. But I do love andor. I also can’t blame edwards on rogue one until I see his cut

His Godzilla movie is amazing still

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t like rogue one. But I do love andor. I also can’t blame edwards on rogue one until I see his cut

His Godzilla movie is amazing still

Andor was a TV show, not a movie.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Monsters is very much a vibe movie and if you don't catch that vibe you end up in Manos: Hands of Fate territory. Luckily I caught the vibe!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Adam Wingard isn't Scandinavian?

I always assumed he was but apparently he's from Tennessee the anti-Scandinavia.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I liked it. Gareth Edwards rules.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gripweed posted:

Andor was a TV show, not a movie.

The cut of Rogue One we've seen includes rewrites and reshoots done when Tony Gilroy came in. Gilroy did Andor the show while Edwards did Rogue One. The question then is how much of the Rogue One that currently exists is due to Gilroy's changes and what would Gareth Edwards's own version of the film look like without those changes.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Creator was bad, too, wasn't it? I didn't finish though, so I can't fully judge

Now, if they got Gareth Evans to make a kaiju film...

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The Creator was loving excellent.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Creator was good but was t quite great. Same as Rogue One… Altho the Sacrif battle is an all timer.

He just needs some help with story but his direction is amazing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Rogue One actively had most of its story ripped out because of Disney panic.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I’m watching my import 4K disc of the original Godzilla finally and god drat it’s gorgeous. Also as a bonus in the extras it has the unrestored Raymond Burr version lol

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Edwards is a good visually director but outside of Godzilla I've never really liked his character stuff much. I thought Monsters was boring as poo poo. If you're going to make a kaiju film that's mostly a character drama you have to actually give the characters some depth. Felt the same way about Colossus.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Rogue One actively had most of its story ripped out because of Disney panic.

Nobody thought any audience was ready for a story about a child soldier. I'd watch the gently caress out of that cut*, but I'm not at all surprised that the suits saw it and balked hard.

* I am not an audience, neither is this thread as a whole. I will content myself with hints at Jynn Erso's career and the marketplace ambush with collateral damage that Saw's forces pulled off. Because the Empire are fascists (small-f but still very bad) and needs to be destroyed.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

mllaneza posted:

Nobody thought any audience was ready for a story about a child soldier. I'd watch the gently caress out of that cut*, but I'm not at all surprised that the suits saw it and balked hard.

* I am not an audience, neither is this thread as a whole. I will content myself with hints at Jynn Erso's career and the marketplace ambush with collateral damage that Saw's forces pulled off. Because the Empire are fascists (small-f but still very bad) and needs to be destroyed.

But padawans...

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://x.com/Wario64/status/1793552548911309005

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mantis42 posted:

Edwards is a good visually director but outside of Godzilla I've never really liked his character stuff much. I thought Monsters was boring as poo poo. If you're going to make a kaiju film that's mostly a character drama you have to actually give the characters some depth. Felt the same way about Colossus.

Monsters is a pop version of Tarkovsky’s Stalker, not a kaiju film or a character drama. There may be large monsters in it, but the actual story is about travelling through a Zone.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Zones are big these days.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Creator was fine. Had its problems but I do think on some level the marketing or presentation had people thinking it was aiming for serious intellectual sci-fi when- I mean it has themes that are certainly relevant but it's clearly not meant to be that complex on a plot level.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Yeah the theming in The Creator was pretty tepid and the story was about as braindead as it gets. Gorgeous visuals though.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
The creator was great but the incompetence and evil of the American characters was hard for some to accept

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:siren: :getin: maybe? :siren:

https://twitter.com/WhenToStream/status/1794357334896210238

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Oh thank god(zilla).

Fun fact! When this poster saw the film in theater, the building suffered a power outage when the two naval ships criss-cross around big G to tie him up. When the power came back, the film was six minutes ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

all well and good, but really I'm more interested in whether Toho will actually put in the effort (or at least get out of peoples' way to allow) for a high end, bells-and-whistles physical media release. fingers crossed