Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

Motronic posted:

You can turn it off.

I truly did not think of this.

After your post I unplugged the humidifier (the big black power cable) and then waited to see what would happen. I have a thermometer / humidity sensor (govee) in the living room where the thermostat is, and another one of those in the back bedroom, plus a third (thermopro) in the master bedroom. The back bedroom sensor shows a pattern that the temperature and humidity rise and fall together, but in the living room the humidity drops as the temperature rises (and vice versa). The master bedroom has the same pattern as the back bedroom, but it's not as pronounced of a match.

What's up with that, and does it provide useful information in terms of having everything level out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I truly did not think of this.

After your post I unplugged the humidifier (the big black power cable) and then waited to see what would happen. I have a thermometer / humidity sensor (govee) in the living room where the thermostat is, and another one of those in the back bedroom, plus a third (thermopro) in the master bedroom. The back bedroom sensor shows a pattern that the temperature and humidity rise and fall together, but in the living room the humidity drops as the temperature rises (and vice versa). The master bedroom has the same pattern as the back bedroom, but it's not as pronounced of a match.

What's up with that, and does it provide useful information in terms of having everything level out?

Sounds like your house doesn't have great airflow, and perhaps the leakiest sport from the outside is the living room so makeup air is being pulled through doors of windows in there. Relative humidity is going to fall as air warms, and pulling cold air from the outside and warming it up will decrease the measured relative humidity without removing a single drop of water from the air (that's the relative part).

Bedrooms will also hang onto humidity because of big sponges in them (mattresses) so it can take days to meaningfully impact humidity in either direction.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

not HVAC but there’s ducts so I suppose it counts but I finally installed a panasonic exhaust fan and wired it to a timer switch and gd it’s quiet lol

even on 110cfm in my tiny bathroom it’s quieter than the original that was just venting into my attic lol

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Yeah, its nice that Broan and others have finally got around to updating fan designs that have not changed since the last time we went to the moon.

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004
Is there a major difference between the MHK1 (https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Remote-Controller-Reciever-Kit/dp/B008MB3UM4) and MHK2 (https://www.amazon.com/MHK2-RedLINK...ols%2C74&sr=1-1) thermostats? I am trying to understand why the older technology is so expensive - are there some features that people want that the MHK2 does not have?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

In this industry older stuff gets marked up as an incentive to move to the newer stuff.

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004
I got a new HVAC unit installed and it was supposed to come with the MHK2, but they installed the MHK1. When I asked them about it they said they would come out and replace it (the MHK2 was supposedly back ordered / did not arrive in time), or refund some money for the older tech being used. I am trying to make the decision but cannot tell if there is anything 'wrong' with the older tech other than it is older. As far as I can tell anything you are back to do with the MHK2 can be done with the MHK1.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Not sure if there's a better thread for this, but what is a good fan that is quiet(ish) and don't break the bank? I bought some cheapo tower fan from Canadian tire years ago, and honestly it almost feels as loud as just running my window unit air conditioner, and feels like it barely gets a good breeze unless I get it really close to me.

Also curious if portable ACs have gotten any better - I'm to understand they're kind of not great because you got the hot bits in the place you wanna cool, and they rarely split up the intake/outake tubes, which might mitigate the previous problem. (Paraphrasing some criticism I remember learning about in a youtube video)

My situation currently is the area around my PC tends to get pretty warm, or I think my apartment in general just gets pretty warm because of the PC + just very rarely getting much of a breeze, so it's not uncommon for it to be/feel warmer in my apartment then outside. I don't really like running the window unit AC I have currently because its a bit of a hassle to install (I take it out come winter and only put it back in when we start getting real hot days) and it's kind of unpleasantly loud, so I try to only run it when I'm desperate enough.

It feels like I should just need a good, quietish fan to help on the days where it's a little warm but not unbearably hot, but electricity is included in my rent, so I don't know if I should just spring for a good, quiet AC, if ACs can even be particularly quiet?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

Also curious if portable ACs have gotten any better - I'm to understand they're kind of not great because you got the hot bits in the place you wanna cool, and they rarely split up the intake/outake tubes, which might mitigate the previous problem. (Paraphrasing some criticism I remember learning about in a youtube video)

Portable AC units/a.k.a. spot coolers have always been available with discrete evap and condenser fans and inlets/exhaust. They just cost a lot of money.

It's not about "hot bits in the place you want to cool". That's easily manageable. It's that the cheap ones are using air from the area you are cooling to blow across the condenser to send the heat outside. What do you think that air is getting replaced with? That's right: all the hot air in the rest of your house and/or dragged in from outside as this gigantic fan puts your space into negative pressure, while its literally using air it's just conditioned to blow outside. It's a no-win situation. They are basically useless unless they have a discrete outside air intake and exhaust for the condenser with a seperate pathway and fan for the evap (the cold side).

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I want a dual hose portable A/C in my bedroom for the three weeks of the average year when it gets hot enough to warrant it for that exact reason, but they're rare as hen's teeth. The single hose stupid ones are everywhere but I can't bring myself to get one of those because they're stupid. Window units aren't really a thing where I live, partly because out windows don't open the same way as they do stateside.
In reality a two-stage swamp cooler would probably do me just fine, but I haven't built one of those yet nor sourced evaporator media for one, summer is kind of here and I have plenty of time sucking obligations right now to keep me from tinkering with such a setup this year. I guess I'll be a sorry basement dweller when I can't stand the heat, just like last year. I'm more than a little jealous of bro's geothermal A/C we installed a few years back, it's been working flawlessly since a few bugs got sorted last summer. (the plushie shark is still plugging the inlet during winters. If it's stupid but it works and so forth)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Oxyclean posted:

Not sure if there's a better thread for this, but what is a good fan that is quiet(ish) and don't break the bank? I bought some cheapo tower fan from Canadian tire years ago, and honestly it almost feels as loud as just running my window unit air conditioner, and feels like it barely gets a good breeze unless I get it really close to me.

After giving in and getting a DC Vornado fan I have come to the reluctant conclusion that fans are yet another "buy once cry once" item.

The thing moves a stupid amount of air even at lower (nearly silent) speeds.