Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

ynohtna posted:

There's gotta be a word for the mindset of presenting miscellaneous thoughts in the most complicated way possible as a facade for meaningful insight.

poli sci

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Dienes posted:

poli sci

lol yeah, it's obviously "academia" innit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dienes posted:

poli sci

poly sci, apparently.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nenonen posted:

Also I would have expected that cheating was the most common form of non-monogamy!

I am sure it actually is, and that the graphic dramatically misrepresents the prevalence of all these different micro-niches in favor of making sure everyone's personal special situation gets its own callout.

There needs to be a version of the graphic where the areas are scaled according to population, like those electoral maps of the USA.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Sagebrush posted:

I am sure it actually is, and that the graphic dramatically misrepresents the prevalence of all these different micro-niches in favor of making sure everyone's personal special situation gets its own callout.

There needs to be a version of the graphic where the areas are scaled according to population, like those electoral maps of the USA.

The graph makes no claims that area is representilative of prevalence? Its just a (lovely) venn diagram showing how the concepts overlap.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Dienes posted:

poli sci
God I collaborated with them once, never again. They couldn’t understand the idea that actually *doing something* required a defined goal, not shapeless waffle.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

ynohtna posted:

There's gotta be a word for the mindset of presenting miscellaneous thoughts in the most complicated way possible as a facade for meaningful insight.

Humanities/liberal arts/social sciences/academia

The harder sciences should almost be included. Instead of miscellaneous thoughts or callouts to believers you have studies that are poorly constructed or purposefully bent towards one outcome or another. Still pointlessly complicated, and often more damaging, but not quite as pointless.

I should actually check myself here and recognize that I hear a lot of bad poo poo about academia but that there is still a lot of good. It's been a long while since I've been in school and I shouldn't work myself up too much about something I'm so far removed from. Thanks for reading.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Talkie Toaster posted:

God I collaborated with them once, never again. They couldn’t understand the idea that actually *doing something* required a defined goal, not shapeless waffle.

If there's a choice, I would also pick waffle over most things.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
Color Vision is modeled by Color Measurement in subjective terms like the Munsell System and the Oswald System and quantified in the more objective CIE System which gives a Chromaticity Diagram used to develop Spectral Power Distribution derived from Tristimulus Values quantified by Color Perception derives Color Vision

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Crust First posted:

Color Vision is modeled by Color Measurement in subjective terms like the Munsell System and the Oswald System and quantified in the more objective CIE System which gives a Chromaticity Diagram used to develop Spectral Power Distribution derived from Tristimulus Values quantified by Color Perception derives Color Vision

I thought that would make a fun educational song

https://voca.ro/11tSksh4RFxL
I told Udio to make an educational song with those lyrics

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Calvin is canonically six years old.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

What are color puzzles? Experts agree: we will never know

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/RobDenBleyker/status/1790730732098232416

https://twitter.com/ZachWeiner/status/1790726434740183512

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
That made me laugh very hard. It's perfectly ethical to drive drunk if everyone around you is predestined to one day hit someone while driving drunk.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'm not sure anyone would be a danger behind the wheel with a Blood Alcohol Concentration of 1, on account of them being very dead already

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's not moral to drive under any circumstances at all, even stone cold sober, unless there are some Hitlers nearby. Remember to bring your Hitler with you if you really need to drive somewhere

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

It's not moral to drive under any circumstances at all, even stone cold sober, unless there are some Hitlers nearby. Remember to bring your Hitler with you if you really need to drive somewhere

Shifts the practical minimum percentage on the chart up to, what, 33% at least? That means it's neutrally ethical to be dead from alcohol poisoning at all times.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

steinrokkan posted:

You misunderstand, the chart is only about drunk driving. It's unethical to drive drunk while sober because that's lying.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

It is unethical to drive. Which is true.

Unless You're blotto AND there's plenty of Hitlers around, then it's fine.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

When you think about it, billionaires are as bad as Hitler, and all Americans are temporarily embarrassed billionaires, so logically it's okay to drive drunk in heavily populated areas of America.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

This is the kind of post that makes me saddest about GPT, because it was actually the poster themselves with the funny idea, and GPT just executed it in the blandest way possible. Good for parody, not much else.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Muscle Tracer posted:

This is the kind of post that makes me saddest about GPT, because it was actually the poster themselves with the funny idea, and GPT just executed it in the blandest way possible. Good for parody, not much else.

Well yeah, the whole point is that it did the grunt work of actually making and formatting the graph.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I've always known Hitler was a product of Big Auto and Big Alcohol.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

This is from one of my favorite web pages.

The chart is in fact a contents section. Each bubble is a link that will take you to an article on that subject. You can go up a level to see broader be categories. The site is called Hyperphysics, and it is an excellent resource if you're learning about anything physics related.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Ariong posted:

Well yeah, the whole point is that it did the grunt work of actually making and formatting the graph.

then why post it with that caption? there doesn't seem to be anything mechanically wrong with the graph.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Muscle Tracer posted:

then why post it with that caption? there doesn't seem to be anything mechanically wrong with the graph.

It lists it as only ethical to drive while both drunk and surrounded by hitlers, and unethical to drive when sober no matter the hitler number.

It formts the graph but doesnt have the right content

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
It also says “red indicates lower (worse) ethical value” then has a colour scale going from 0 to -100, where red is 0 and blue is -100. Do you go by colour or number?