Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
THERE'S A CITY CALLED LIBERAL? RAAAGAAGGHHHHH LIMBROLS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

Well that doesn't sound good

m...maybe it's a scale based on testicle-to-bodysize ratio among primates

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Shooting Blanks posted:

Hasn't the Abbott admin also been sending migrants en masse to blue states?

No, they are only sending PR stunt numbers of people.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Chicago got like 15k people I think

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

And also immigration activists and NGOs also put people on busses to help them get to where they go, Abbott's doing that but while saying mean things so conservatives think that they are being owned, when they are just being voluntarily transported to their destination. The only difference is that the evilly bussed people are usually dropped off in non-ideal locations, like the Naval Observatory in DC, but that's not much of a burden for a person who just walked several thousand miles though dangerous territory to get here. Mostly it fucks with existing migrant services in those cities, but since it turns out all those cities are also full of anti-immigrant hitlers, I'm not sympathetic.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

zoux posted:

poo poo ,whens that comin :dogstare:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

zoux posted:

Texas really has a hard water problem.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If you haven't laid in a stock of diversion bananas, it may be too late

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Climate change isn't real though so you don't need to worry y'all.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Dameius posted:

Climate change isn't real though so you don't need to worry y'all.

I thought the current line was that climate change might be real, but if it is, it can't be caused by humans? Thus it's God's plan and the righteous will prosper through.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't like using discrete weather events as evidence for climate change, because 1: it's unnecessary and 2: if you have a run of lucky years it hurts your argument.

For example, here's a table of all the hurricanes to make US landfall over the last 150 years

Now it's in order so you can tell, but if I randomized those rows you'd pick the 1940s as the most recent decade if you were just going by climate change causes more and worse hurricanes. Similarly, you don't see a clear trend in number of tornadoes per year:

Climate change is going to have paradoxical effects because the climate is an extremely chaotic and hard to predict, so we can't say for certain which major storms were caused by global warming. We don't need to, the temperature data we have is sufficient to prove the case of anthropogenic climate change, and also increased severe weather events are really going to be one of the minor catastrophes caused by global warming. Way more people - like orders of magnitude - are going to die due to drought, famine, exotic disease spread, climate-forced migration, ocean warming, and so on.

e: that said I do believe climate change is going to lead to more severe weather events, but it'll be over timescales that don't really lend themselves to news cycles and people's attention spans.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

zoux posted:

Way more people - like orders of magnitude - are going to die due to drought, famine, exotic disease spread, climate-forced migration, ocean warming, and so on.

Wasn't there a CIA thing that said global warming was going to absolutely devastate most of the world and part of the US, but the worst effects of it on the US is that we won't be able to accommodate/stop the refugees who need to decide between certain death and illegal immigration.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

zoux posted:

And also immigration activists and NGOs also put people on busses to help them get to where they go, Abbott's doing that but while saying mean things so conservatives think that they are being owned, when they are just being voluntarily transported to their destination. The only difference is that the evilly bussed people are usually dropped off in non-ideal locations, like the Naval Observatory in DC, but that's not much of a burden for a person who just walked several thousand miles though dangerous territory to get here. Mostly it fucks with existing migrant services in those cities, but since it turns out all those cities are also full of anti-immigrant hitlers, I'm not sympathetic.

Eh, more complicated than that, but I'm not close to an expert on it. But mostly I'd want to know if Texas gets special levels of resources for managing migration that other states aren't getting, because then it's wrong to get federal resources to address it then dump migrants/refugees onto states without those federal resources. If not, then it'd be a little more fairer to bus them out.

I've also heard one of these bussing efforts (not sure if DeSantis or Abbott) led to a ton of immigrants being sent to places on the other side of the country from where their immigration hearings are supposed to be. That's also malicious in a way that regular bussing would not be.

But outside of that, I do agree that people nowhere near the border, especially the federal government, have been able to ignore the issue for decades. It makes it easier for Republicans to take over and demonize immigrants.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

jokes posted:

Wasn't there a CIA thing that said global warming was going to absolutely devastate most of the world and part of the US, but the worst effects of it on the US is that we won't be able to accommodate/stop the refugees who need to decide between certain death and illegal immigration.

My understanding is that the global north in general is going to fare better than the global south regardless of the amount of development in the country. Then you add on top of that the amount of development the US/Canada + Europe and potentially Russia depending on how this war goes and China/Japan/S. Korea will come out on top for their regions. Assuming the exact current status quo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

jokes posted:

I mean if it comes to that, we will absolutely stop refugees. We will commit atrocities to do so but we're talking about a world in which the international order has completely collapsed and the US public is fully hitlerized.

As to the "who fares better" obviously low lying coastal nations and islands in the 3rd world will be the most hosed but there are plenty of black swan events that could gently caress us up. We're richer which means we will likely fare better. But there will be domestic suffering due to it, whether that's thousands or millions of Americans, we'll all find out together. I think what will probably happen is that we'll invent some tech or poo poo to reverse some of the changes and reach a reasonable equilibrium, and probably limit the total global deaths to somewhere in the one or two billions. Which is obviously the worst thing ever but not the full extinction of the human race or even the collapse of civilization.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
For sure, it is going to suck for everyone everywhere and nowhere will be safe from the repercussions of anthropogenic climate change. That was purely on a McKinsey level analysis. We should be doing all we can to slow and limit the impacts of climate change but also we aren't so... :shrug:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gorilla check: how’s it lookin out there

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

zoux posted:

I don't like using discrete weather events as evidence for climate change, because 1: it's unnecessary and 2: if you have a run of lucky years it hurts your argument.

For example, here's a table of all the hurricanes to make US landfall over the last 150 years

Now it's in order so you can tell, but if I randomized those rows you'd pick the 1940s as the most recent decade if you were just going by climate change causes more and worse hurricanes. Similarly, you don't see a clear trend in number of tornadoes per year:

Climate change is going to have paradoxical effects because the climate is an extremely chaotic and hard to predict, so we can't say for certain which major storms were caused by global warming. We don't need to, the temperature data we have is sufficient to prove the case of anthropogenic climate change, and also increased severe weather events are really going to be one of the minor catastrophes caused by global warming. Way more people - like orders of magnitude - are going to die due to drought, famine, exotic disease spread, climate-forced migration, ocean warming, and so on.

e: that said I do believe climate change is going to lead to more severe weather events, but it'll be over timescales that don't really lend themselves to news cycles and people's attention spans.

What is kind of sad to me, is at first the whole thing was pushed as "global warming" which was not actually occurring when that became the hot topic. Back then, we had the shifting of the poles being proven to alter like full on degree within a period of time that was surprising and the real problem was about climate change.

Now here we are, people thinking "climate change" is fake because of the poo poo back in the day where there was no scientific proof of "global warming" and these two things got lumped together; however, we are actually starting to face "global warming" in the next few years. Think the avg surface temp has a pretty steady uptick (i.e, global warming) and we're pretty hosed in that regard down here in Houston, this summer is gonna be a hoot.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

drunk mutt posted:

What is kind of sad to me, is at first the whole thing was pushed as "global warming" which was not actually occurring when that became the hot topic. Back then, we had the shifting of the poles being proven to alter like full on degree within a period of time that was surprising and the real problem was about climate change.

Now here we are, people thinking "climate change" is fake because of the poo poo back in the day where there was no scientific proof of "global warming" and these two things got lumped together; however, we are actually starting to face "global warming" in the next few years. Think the avg surface temp has a pretty steady uptick (i.e, global warming) and we're pretty hosed in that regard down here in Houston, this summer is gonna be a hoot.

Changing the term from Global Warming to Climate Change was an open suggestion by Frank Luntz.

Wikipedia posted:

In a confidential memo to the Republican party,[31] Luntz is credited with advising the Bush administration that the phrase "global warming" should be abandoned in favour of "climate change", which he called a "less frightening" phrase than the former.[32]

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://x.com/Chron_MattYoung/status/1793994927518740679

haha. no.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

wow those citizens' councils sure are organized! that's impressive!!

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Those elephants walking sure have a goose like quality to them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Me at midnight yell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZEXusN8LF0

Huh, turns out the Cuellar family is the bad guys in a Netflix streaming drama

https://x.com/ByronTau/status/1793986818930798626

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 24, 2024

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Thanks Nancy for getting this turd re-elected! Thank you ill-equipped challenger for losing!

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 24, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

New Epstein Island just dropped in Washington County

https://x.com/TexasMonthly/status/1794013325304418391

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

certified loverboy certified pedophile

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
that is a nice house though

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

certified loverboy certified pedophile

wop wop wop wop wop

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i say swears online posted:

wop wop wop wop wop

reported for anti italian racism (actionable)

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

that is a nice house though

If you can afford to have a whole rear end house for the three or four months a year the weather is tolerable. Which I suppose he can.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

lobster shirt posted:

reported for anti italian racism (actionable)

Lol

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

zoux posted:

Huh, turns out the Cuellar family is the bad guys in a Netflix streaming drama

https://x.com/ByronTau/status/1793986818930798626

I sincerely hope he and his wife go to jail.

Same with Menendez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://x.com/cd_hooks/status/1794108456728773054?s=46&t=A_iY-gupVf13dcIJPetZhQ