Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

muscles like this! posted:

There was that thing from the last Mission Impossible movie with the recording of him blowing up on set but it was about crew not following proper masking procedures and he didn't want anyone to get sick because delays cost his production company :20bux:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

There was that thing from the last Mission Impossible movie with the recording of him blowing up on set but it was about crew not following proper masking procedures and he didn't want anyone to get evil aliens invading their body

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
The evil aliens are ALREADY in your body. God does no one even know how Xenu operates any more

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Rewatching the first of the Planet of the Apes reboots/prequels (?) , and it has a trope in it I see so often in TV and movies I don't understand.

The person who works in some sort of animal-adjacent facility (animal control, animal research, zoo, sanctuary, sometimes even just a vets office,) who absolutely despises animals. So why do you have that job?! I mean, I guess some have it because they're sadists who enjoy hurting animals, but it generally seems more like the person is just annoyed that animals exist at they're job that involves animals.

And related to Rise of the Planet of the Apes...does the magic monkey gas also make apes immune to broken glass? They smash through a lot of windows with seemingly no injuries.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
At the risk of sounding like a Tom Cruise defender, that audio very definitely sounded like he was taking the pandemic incredibly seriously, and absolutely did not want the reputation of having his crew set a bad example. I'm sure the financial angle was on his mind too.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Fil5000 posted:

Seems like every actor that does VO has at least one of those knocking around. The Tom Baker one is a classic

Apparently Orson Welles, in the later part of his acting career, used to turn up on set and say 'surely you aren't going to place the camera there' to the director.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Torquemada posted:

At the risk of sounding like a Tom Cruise defender, that audio very definitely sounded like he was taking the pandemic incredibly seriously, and absolutely did not want the reputation of having his crew set a bad example. I'm sure the financial angle was on his mind too.

Yeah it sounded totally fine to me. He got mad but he wasn't wrong.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Torquemada posted:

Apparently Orson Welles, in the later part of his acting career, used to turn up on set and say 'surely you aren't going to place the camera there' to the director.

I can't imagine being in charge of a set and having to deal with Orson loving Welles telling me I'm doing it wrong. And probably calling me "dear boy".

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Same, but Marlon Brando

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I can't remember who it was, but I remember the one story about the actor who WAS being difficult until the Director put his foot down and he was like "Fair enough, I'll take your instructions" because he was impressed that the director clearly had a strong command of the set.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I was listening to the Smartless podcast and they had Ben Affleck on and he was talking about the difficulty of directing other directors. Specifically a scene setup where Jason Bateman and Matt Damon were like 'I thought when I say this I'd stand over here because that way you'd get the light, you want the light right?' and Affleck would be like 'motherfucker I'm DIRECTING the MOVIE'

It was cute

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
After years of people coming up with any excuse to not take COVID precautions seriously, I can not get worked up about someone taking COVID seriously for possibly not ideal reasons.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

There's that classic leaked audio of him doing a voice over session where the director tried to correct him about something and Shat's like "well how would you say it." The director kinda nervously reads it and Shatner then does his take making fun of the way the director read it. Like the equivalent of going "iN jUlY pEaS gRoW tHeRe"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JA9CeMXwno

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Yeah I mean the peas part was from Welles' famous tape, I couldn't remember what Shatner was supposed to be talking about so I used that.

That particular Pinky and the Brain skit grew out of LaMarche using it as his warm up when he had to do Welles' voice.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I watched the latest Planet of the Apes movie and not once in over two hours did any chimpanzees fling their poo poo.

I used to think the first movie was far-fetched because the virus only spread due to every human character being a complete moron. Post Covid, it's quite accurate.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 22:27 on May 18, 2024

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Rewatching the first of the Planet of the Apes reboots/prequels (?) , and it has a trope in it I see so often in TV and movies I don't understand.

The person who works in some sort of animal-adjacent facility (animal control, animal research, zoo, sanctuary, sometimes even just a vets office,) who absolutely despises animals. So why do you have that job?! I mean, I guess some have it because they're sadists who enjoy hurting animals, but it generally seems more like the person is just annoyed that animals exist at they're job that involves animals.

Maybe this is an American thing? At least where I live, you don't work in any of the fields named above unless you really really want to, because they are fairly specific and demand certain training. It's not, like, working with the disabled where turnover is high so you kind of accept anybody who needs the money. This is my personal rational irritating reality moment, that working with animals is more popular than working with the disabled.

Anyway, the USA are a worker's hell so I have no problem imagining someone who absolutely hates animals gets hired to work in a zoo.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Grendels Dad posted:

Maybe this is an American thing? At least where I live, you don't work in any of the fields named above unless you really really want to, because they are fairly specific and demand certain training. It's not, like, working with the disabled where turnover is high so you kind of accept anybody who needs the money. This is my personal rational irritating reality moment, that working with animals is more popular than working with the disabled.

Anyway, the USA are a worker's hell so I have no problem imagining someone who absolutely hates animals gets hired to work in a zoo.

TBF I don't think many disabled people would appreciate it if I started to rub their belly and scratch their neck without warning

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Improbable Lobster posted:

TBF I don't think many disabled people would appreciate it if I started to rub their belly and scratch their neck without warning

While I wouldn't wanna encourage that kind of behavior, I'd still say they'd be mostly surprised at that level of attention or affection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Torquemada posted:

Yeah, I think the only time yelling on set, or in workplaces in general, is remotely acceptable is if it's about people loving around with safety stuff that could get people hurt.

I mean angry yelling, not like yelling out hello cos someone is super far away, and you want to say hi or something, obviously.