Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

fralbjabar posted:

I have an LSI 9300-16i in my unraid box, unraid recognizes it without any issue at all, 0 extra configuration required. You'll want to flash the controller to IT mode so it presents the disks to the operating system directly and disables the controller's raid, though you can probably get one pre flashed on ebay. Most sellers offer them preflashed for zfs or unraid compatability.

okay so I found a good deal on an IT-Mode LSI 9300-16i.

my local marketplace seems to have a promising deal on a lot of Seagate Exos X18 SATA drives with less than 12k hours on them and warranties through 2026.

could I throw them in something like this HDD enclosure or could I repurpose something like this SAS case?

what would be the best way to get them all wired up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Does anyone else feel like media played through Plex sometimes has hitching in wide panning shots? I genuinely can't tell if all media does that or if it's the plex or it's my imagination, but once I start seeing the hitching I can't stop seeing it and it drives me crazy.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Client is able to match frame rate and output 24p? I have some films that are super noticeable still though, one scene in It Follows drove me insane for it. That was watched on Blu-Ray set up properly, outside of Plex (but I’m sure my archived copy does the same thing).

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I occasionally have slowdown when playing videos on my AppleTV 4k. Not stuttering, like brief slowmo for some reason. This is on a wired connection on my LAN with no transcoding. What’s up with that?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Talorat posted:

Does anyone else feel like media played through Plex sometimes has hitching in wide panning shots? I genuinely can't tell if all media does that or if it's the plex or it's my imagination, but once I start seeing the hitching I can't stop seeing it and it drives me crazy.

Yeah, that sounds like a framerate/refresh rate mis-match. Most movies are recorded at 24 fps and most tv's refresh at 60hz. Check if your display has a 24hz mode. If your tv has a 120hz mode, that would also stop the hitching as 24 is evenly divisble into 120.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Talorat posted:

Does anyone else feel like media played through Plex sometimes has hitching in wide panning shots?

Yes. It drives me crazy too. Nobody else chez cruft even notices.

Kibner posted:

Yeah, that sounds like a framerate/refresh rate mis-match. Most movies are recorded at 24 fps and most tv's refresh at 60hz. Check if your display has a 24hz mode. If your tv has a 120hz mode, that would also stop the hitching as 24 is evenly divisble into 120.

This is what I assumed was happening, but I haven't looked into it. Some Plex clients have an option to try to match frame rate of the media with the video mode. I never could get that to work right, though.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
It's been a problem since home video versions of movies became a thing. That was one of the big selling points of some of the super fancy TVs (primarily Sony) like a decade ago: they offered a way to watch panning shots in movies without that hitching. It has been a notoriously difficult solve for many setups, iirc. I'm not sure if the receiver has to support 24hz mode or if you need a certain version of HDMI cables/ports or what.

TV shows don't really have the problem because they are primarily recorded in 30 or 60 fps.

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.

webcams for christ posted:

okay so I found a good deal on an IT-Mode LSI 9300-16i.

my local marketplace seems to have a promising deal on a lot of Seagate Exos X18 SATA drives with less than 12k hours on them and warranties through 2026.

could I throw them in something like this HDD enclosure or could I repurpose something like this SAS case?

what would be the best way to get them all wired up

You could use either of those, the first is just an enclosure so you'll need breakout cables to go from the SFF-8643 connectors on the card to the individual drives. Each connector on the card can be broken out to directly attach to four drives. Ex: https://store.supermicro.com/us_en/...-sast-0823.html

For the second you have an enclosure with a SAS2 backplane, which simplifies your cabling and handles the breakout for you. For this you'll need two SFF-8643 to SFF-8087 cables. Ex: https://www.startech.com/en-us/cables/sas87431m

Both of these types of cables should be readily available on Amazon for cheap, and they're commodity parts so generally anything that doesn't physically fall apart should work fine.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

hell yeah. than you. glad to hear that I am more or less on the right track

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

double posting to ask a general question:

what would be a fair offer for 5 Seagate Exos X18 (18TB) SATA drives with ~10k hours on them?

I don't want to insult someone on a local marketplace (not facebook, fortunately), but I also don't really want to overshoot

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

18tb X20 is currently ~$200 on Serverpartdeals and gohardrive, so I’d say someplace in that ballpark. More hours but with warranty.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Should Plex (running off of my NVidia Shield with two HDDs connected to it in an enclosure) automatically recognize a new volume with some media on it, when connected to the Shield's other USB port?

I'm trying to watch a movie I just downloaded (the system I normally use to transfer music to my Plex HDDs is out of commission currently) and for some reason VLC doesn't want to see the SSD I connected. I feel like this wasn't a problem before, anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.

webcams for christ posted:

double posting to ask a general question:

what would be a fair offer for 5 Seagate Exos X18 (18TB) SATA drives with ~10k hours on them?

I don't want to insult someone on a local marketplace (not facebook, fortunately), but I also don't really want to overshoot

I don't know how they compare to those Seagates but I've been buying WD Ultrastars from serverpartdeals at around $10/TB, currently the 16TB are the sweet spot for this and the 18s carry a bit of a premium. These are recertified drives with warranty so I'm not sure I'd pay more for used drives without a warranty even with the lower hours. On the other hand at 10k hours they should generally be past the start of the bathtub curve and so long as there's no fatal flaw with that particular model they should be expected to be good for years.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
How stupid would it be to setup unraid alongside my existing windows server, just as a learning project. Is it even possible to have more than one instance of a plex server, or should I just create a new account and use that for the unraid/test server instead.

I've been vaguely considering doing a 'linux thing' for like 20 years and every time have been put off by the numpty-rear end weirdos who swoop in and tell you to kill yourself any time you have an issue. Maybe this time will be different.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
As long as you aren't trying to use the same unique server id for each instance (probably not, unless you got way out of your way to do so in going from Windows => *nix) then I think the only conflict you'd need to worry about would be forwarding a different port if you want to enable/test external access. While I can't speak to Unraid, if you know the basics (ls, ls -a, knowing what /etc/fstab is) of linux, Plex or Docker hosting Plex is a great way to slowly build experience and more intermediate knowledge.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Dr. Poz posted:

if you know the basics (ls, ls -a, knowing what /etc/fstab is)

The problem is that I really don't. The linux file system, especially, is something I've always struggled to understand; in windows each hard drive/partition has a drive letter which helps me visualize the disk itself along with where the data actually is, and how to access/manipulate it. I've read so many horror stories about people deleting all of their data or partitions, which is unthinkable to me after decades of experience with ntfs.

If anyone has suggestions for plain-english resources on this, I would really appreciate it.

Chillmatic fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 16, 2024

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
This seems like a decent and simple overview of the file system:

https://www.howtogeek.com/117435/htg-explains-the-linux-directory-structure-explained/

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Chillmatic posted:

The problem is that I really don't. The linux file system, especially, is something I've always struggled to understand; in windows each hard drive/partition has a drive letter which helps me visualize the disk itself along with where the data actually is, and how to access/manipulate it. I've read so many horror stories about people deleting all of their data or partitions, which is unthinkable to me after decades of experience with ntfs.

If anyone has suggestions for plain-english resources on this, I would really appreciate it.

Unraid lets you get as complex or simple as you want. I work with Linux professionally and am super comfortable on the cli but I still pretty much stick fully to the WebGUI on unRAID. You get a 30 day demo, play around with it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

You really have nothing to worry about - I've had three friends who had never even built gaming PCs build Unraid servers without issue over the years - You're going to be fine! Half the goons over at the Self Hosting thread use Unraid, and we'll provide high quality advice before telling you to go kill yourself.

Unraid's support forums are pretty approachable, too - I've had no issues getting help when I had a couple flash drives die that were hosting my Unraid OS on.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Yeah, as someone who jumped into Unraid with zero Linux experience it's a pretty convenient platform for learning. You can use the UI for nearly everything and as you get more comfortable use the CLI more if you want.

If your goal is just to start playing with Linux I'd say you might be better off just running Ubuntu for Windows on your main PC, but if you're looking for server functionality it's a great way to start.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
The biggest thing I tell people, and this goes for coding as well, is that you need to learn some basics or why things work. Following random YT tutorials just say "click here, click there" without saying why is not the way to learn. Documentation is your friend.

Leave your existing setup in place while you learn the new system. Take your time, reach out to us as needed!

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Thanks for the info everyone, I’m reading everything over and keeping my fingers crossed!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I'm a computer toucher and I spend 50% of my work life in OSX (in some combination of bash/zsh and once in a while the UI) and 50% of it inside myriad linux VMs

But I still use Windows on a cheap NUC as my plex server. Over the years I've done everything from standalone linux workstations to running the native Plex server app for NVidia Shield. The windows thing doesn't work any better than linux but this path allowed me to avoid wiping the factory OS from the NUC, saving me 30-40 valuable minutes of time to make posts like this.

I think my point is, if you want to learn the Linux FS, it's a cool and good thing to learn, and if you want to gently caress around with Unraid, it looks like a cool and good thing to gently caress around with. But if your current plex server is meeting your needs, you don't really need to conflate these things and I would encourage spending time getting some basic familiarity with installing a couple distros, messing with stuff including yes ftab, understanding how /etc/hosts works (this is just windows hosts.txt.....), etc.

I love plex but I've had my share of problems with it over the years, sometimes updates do weird poo poo, etc. Having a solid understanding of the OS it's running on seems pretty useful.

Bonzo posted:

The biggest thing I tell people, and this goes for coding as well, is that you need to learn some basics or why things work. Following random YT tutorials just say "click here, click there" without saying why is not the way to learn. Documentation is your friend.

I hate what youtube monitization has done to the landscape of "how to". Like 10 years ago if I googled "how do I set up plex on Fedora?" or "subtractive synthesis basics" or "how does a voltage-controlled oscillator work?" I had dozens of easy to read documents at my finger tips. Now that poo poo is just all youtube content because an ecosystem has been created where people can theorhetically support themselves off this (while also helping Alphabet make ever more money and become more and more of a walled garden).

It's absolute garbage out there now, I've been using loving Yandex for searching more and more (especially image search, it's just better than GIS at this point for poo poo like "global amusement parks, HD resolution") and generally if I run into a bunch of videos telling me how to do a thing I run away and hide on Discord and find someone who can give me textual advice.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Cabbages and VHS posted:

I'm a computer toucher and I spend 50% of my work life in OSX (in some combination of bash/zsh and once in a while the UI) and 50% of it inside myriad linux VMs

But I still use Windows on a cheap NUC as my plex server. Over the years I've done everything from standalone linux workstations to running the native Plex server app for NVidia Shield. The windows thing doesn't work any better than linux but this path allowed me to avoid wiping the factory OS from the NUC, saving me 30-40 valuable minutes of time to make posts like this.

I think my point is, if you want to learn the Linux FS, it's a cool and good thing to learn, and if you want to gently caress around with Unraid, it looks like a cool and good thing to gently caress around with. But if your current plex server is meeting your needs, you don't really need to conflate these things and I would encourage spending time getting some basic familiarity with installing a couple distros, messing with stuff including yes ftab, understanding how /etc/hosts works (this is just windows hosts.txt.....), etc.

I love plex but I've had my share of problems with it over the years, sometimes updates do weird poo poo, etc. Having a solid understanding of the OS it's running on seems pretty useful.

I hate what youtube monitization has done to the landscape of "how to". Like 10 years ago if I googled "how do I set up plex on Fedora?" or "subtractive synthesis basics" or "how does a voltage-controlled oscillator work?" I had dozens of easy to read documents at my finger tips. Now that poo poo is just all youtube content because an ecosystem has been created where people can theorhetically support themselves off this (while also helping Alphabet make ever more money and become more and more of a walled garden).

It's absolute garbage out there now, I've been using loving Yandex for searching more and more (especially image search, it's just better than GIS at this point for poo poo like "global amusement parks, HD resolution") and generally if I run into a bunch of videos telling me how to do a thing I run away and hide on Discord and find someone who can give me textual advice.

Yeah, every time I find a video that is helpful for some automotive or computational or hobby thing I like I am archiving that on my own server for sure .

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

That Works posted:

Yeah, every time I find a video that is helpful for some automotive or computational or hobby thing I like I am archiving that on my own server for sure .
That's a solution to the walled garden problem but there's so many things that I can learn to do in 3 mins from a list of easy to follow steps, but, nooooooooo, gotta sit through 8 mins of someone explaining it at six words per minute

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

Should Plex (running off of my NVidia Shield with two HDDs connected to it in an enclosure) automatically recognize a new volume with some media on it, when connected to the Shield's other USB port?

I'm trying to watch a movie I just downloaded (the system I normally use to transfer music to my Plex HDDs is out of commission currently) and for some reason VLC doesn't want to see the SSD I connected. I feel like this wasn't a problem before, anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

I don't see why VLC wouldn't be able to navigate to it assuming it's mounted ok. Check with a File Browser the disk is mounting properly first.

Plex likely won't see it, you'd need to add it or sub folders on it to a library first and let Plex scan it for media etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Cabbages and VHS posted:

That's a solution to the walled garden problem but there's so many things that I can learn to do in 3 mins from a list of easy to follow steps, but, nooooooooo, gotta sit through 8 mins of someone explaining it at six words per minute

you can often at least cut it down several minutes with a browser extension like Sponsorblock, which auto-skips intros, ad-reads, and other superfluous stuff