Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Veotax posted:

Because kids might emulate it and jump through a window! :eng101:

To be fair, I think this is mostly showing Batman jumping through a window or throwing people through them than glass breaking in general.
There's a scene early in Mask of the Phantasm where they it and a few other things like this just because they could!

Yeah, I mean Batman is well known for doing poo poo like crashing through skylights so I can kind of see it as a fair concern.

I'm kind of surprised that strangulation was a problem since at that point The Simpsons had been going for 3 years. But I guess that's "comedy" strangulation and having Batman do that would be bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

Wait, BREAKING GLASS? why.

Because that's the sound of McMahon's rear end, and you can't have asses on a cartoon

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, I mean Batman is well known for doing poo poo like crashing through skylights so I can kind of see it as a fair concern.

I'm kind of surprised that strangulation was a problem since at that point The Simpsons had been going for 3 years. But I guess that's "comedy" strangulation and having Batman do that would be bad.

Honestly Simpsons could get away with more because they were in prime time. Even The Real Ghostbusters could do more during their Halloween special.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TwoPair posted:

Related to this, it'd be cool for Spider-Man every now and then to web a window before going through it so it just comes out as a solid, crumpled pane rather than a million pieces. Heroes have plot armour when going through windows but it's a safer way if he was carrying someone.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

Simpson's aired at 8pm (probably still does) not 9am, and while being a cartoon children aren't the target demographic, there's different standards by the censors when you're main competing shows are Law and Order or whatever versus another children's cartoon. It started as shorts on an adult centric prime time sketch show, probably gave them a lot more leeway.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Wait, BREAKING GLASS? why.

Also this was the heyday of broken glass policing in the US, a policy built on aggressively policing minor vandalism in order to prevent more serious crimes in the area. In practice it was just another tool :rudy: and others used to enable racist practices in law enforcement.

Controlled experiments support the hypothesis that actual improvement in crime rates comes just from cleaning up an area, and extra policing without cleanup doesn't do anything, but for some reason that policy isn't as popular in law enforcement circles.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Tricky Ed posted:

Also this was the heyday of broken glass policing in the US, a policy built on aggressively policing minor vandalism in order to prevent more serious crimes in the area. In practice it was just another tool :rudy: and others used to enable racist practices in law enforcement.

Controlled experiments support the hypothesis that actual improvement in crime rates comes just from cleaning up an area, and extra policing without cleanup doesn't do anything, but for some reason that policy isn't as popular in law enforcement circles.

Broken glass policing was a poo poo theory, but it has nothing to do with cartoon policy.
I'd bet that one is about modeling good behavior for kids, so they don't go and punch windows when they try to act like Batman, which any cool kid will do. Or at least so the show doesn't get blamed for it.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

It's actually the one thing I'd say S&P has a sensible idea on. Batman jumps from rooftops and I'm sure kids have hurt themselves playing Batman, but people pretty naturally get that falling from high up is a way to get hurt. But TV and movies have given people a wildly inaccurate sense of how safe it is to punch through a window, even though it's literally "broken glass is sharp." I don't know if any kids have actually injured themselves playing with breaking glass, but I can get why the network might not want to play up Batman's iconic association with breaking windows by leaping through them if it could end with a kid needing dozens of stitches on the evening news.

I like how The Nice Guys played with this by having Ryan Gosling's character acting like a cool detective punching through a window... and then having to go to the hospital because he slashed his wrist up and nearly bled out.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I appreciate that the cops in the first Terminator movie acknowledge that one would need to be high as gently caress to put their fist through the windshield of a car.

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

Well, I wouldn't have Ol' Chomper here, that's for sure!

ManiacClown posted:

You have no idea how much I wish there were an online repository for looking this sort of thing up.

If it's any consolation, the Library is working on the Copyright Office's website including online copies of these records as well. Digitization is in progress!

Like I said, there's scattered resources online right now that get the job done, but it's definitely a pain.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Wasp #2: The Wasps are trying to solve a mystery but hit a problem when they run into Fantasma, a villain from Nadia's previous series. Or rather, Fantasmas...

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
That's cool, showing off all the old costumes and hairstyles from the past 60-ish years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That art's so good.