Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well I “pre ordered” the Logi Combo Touch for my 11” m4.. Somewhat salty because its been available in the USA for a while now, while its in some weird limbo here in Canada. The Logi site says it shios tiday but was still listed as “pre order”, amazon finally put up the listing but is “waiting for stock”, and bestbuy has a release date of Jun 30 for it lmao.. cmon guys. No sight of it on the apple.ca store either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

qbert posted:

Not sure how much this matters on iPad, but people tested the SSD read/write speeds of the new M4s and the 256gb models are about 45% slower than the higher capacity ones. Seems like Apple is using single NAND chip for the lowest storage size like they did with their laptops. Something to keep in mind for the few ppl that care.

I want to get a 256 model so is this something one would notice? Where would it matter? Does it still launch stuff as quickly as the better models?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Sininu posted:

I want to get a 256 model so is this something one would notice? Where would it matter? Does it still launch stuff as quickly as the better models?

nah, not on an ipad. Hell, even on the Macbook Pro's it doesn't become an issue until you're working on high end video stuff.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Its just something that benchmark nerds get worked up about. it has no real life impacts that you’d notice unless you’re a high end video editor and then youd probably want the 1tb model anyway

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

EpicNemesis posted:

Just a heads up, your battery has to be below 80% for the replacement. Even if your iPad battery lasts about 2 hours and the Apple Store guy says “wow that’s really dropping fast”and they do all the required steps to trouble shoot the battery drop but it still happens.

No I’m not bitter. So now I’m deliberately trying to get it below 80% to replace if just for my kids as a travel iPad.

Unless this recently changed that's just not true. They will tell you that but if you respond firmly and insist, they are supposed to process it. The apple store is DEFINITELY a place you can Be a Karen At (just make sure you're a nice one, firm but fair).

some kinda jackal posted:

Well I “pre ordered” the Logi Combo Touch for my 11” m4.. Somewhat salty because its been available in the USA for a while now, while its in some weird limbo here in Canada. The Logi site says it shios tiday but was still listed as “pre order”, amazon finally put up the listing but is “waiting for stock”, and bestbuy has a release date of Jun 30 for it lmao.. cmon guys. No sight of it on the apple.ca store either.

hey I'm just curious, what made the choice for you on the Logi keyboard? Was it just the price, or another concern?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Sininu posted:

Bro I have a second gen 11 inch pro and have never had performance issues with it.

You are more than fine.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I have the new big iPad and it’s really nice but should I be using this 80% battery limit thing all the time? Seems like you’re just limiting yourself to 80% charge capacity so your battery health won’t go degrade to 80% capacity as quickly which seems kinda silly unless I’m not understanding battery health percentages correctly

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you never deplete the battery and intend to keep the iPad for 6+ years, the 80% limit setting probably makes sense.

Otherwise just do whatever.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

hatty posted:

I have the new big iPad and it’s really nice but should I be using this 80% battery limit thing all the time? Seems like you’re just limiting yourself to 80% charge capacity so your battery health won’t go degrade to 80% capacity as quickly which seems kinda silly unless I’m not understanding battery health percentages correctly

It just keeps the battery healthier for longer. This type of battery doesn't like running very low or very high battery capacities, so they simply offer the ability to maintain your battery health for longer, if you want, by snipping off the top 20%.

You probably know already if you're the kind of person who wouldn't mind capping at 80% permanently. Personally, I think it's stupid; but I have Applecare, so it's easy to swap a battery and outer chassis out for cheap.

Taima fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 24, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah, if you want a phone or ipad to last 5+ years it's a good setting to use and with the ipad pro or iphone 15 pro you don't lose any meaningful usage limits. I get 2 days on my 15 pro max using 80% setting FWIW, and that includes almost 10-12 hours of bluetooth music/podcasts and 4 hours of screen time a day. 156 cycles since Sept 23.

I don't particularly care about battery health as I also have Care, I just used the setting as an experiment and the battery life is so good it didn't change my usage.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I’d turn the 80% setting on in a heartbeat if it was supported on older devices

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I've been watching lots of 4K blu rays through Plex on this M4 13 inch and I realized something.

Most (all maybe?) OLED panels larger than ~phone size have what's called an Automatic Brightness Limiter or ABL. It's an anti-burn in measure that darkens the image if the processor feels that too much bright imagery is on screen (like a full size white background). It sucks in practice because whites become more like bright greys, pretty often, and it can lead to a dim image overall if too many highlights are present

here is a general approximation of what I mean, just as a general idea, it's not usually this profound:

Well, it took me a while to realize but I don't think this OLED has an ABL at all. And as a result, whites on this panel are Pure White no matter what is going on, since it has in excess of 1,000 lumens full screen (which is crazy and not something OLED can usually accomplish).

It looks so good. Tandem OLED is the future, because it solves all of the biggest issues with the tech:

- distributes panel load across dual panels, either solving, or massively reducing, burn in to where it's effectively impossible to do so
- doubles up displays to massively jack up the brightness at the same time, making the panel super efficient AND bright at the same time.

To give some perspective here, I have been following tandem OLED tech for at least 3-4 years now. So that's a big reason why I nerd it up so hard in this thread; I've been waiting for this tech for so long.

The only tech that I'm aware of that's superior to tandem OLED is, of course, the holy grail of MicroLED. We're getting there, but it will take a long while to even design an industrial workflow that can produce panels with long shelf life and durability, without a catastrophically low failure rate.

Taima fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 24, 2024

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Taima posted:

hey I'm just curious, what made the choice for you on the Logi keyboard? Was it just the price, or another concern?

Being able to flip the keyboard behind the iPad to use it as a tablet without having to remove it from the case/keyboard was 100% my deciding factor.

The magic keyboard is amazing, but I don't want to remove the tablet from it every time I want to carry it around and use it without a keyboard. 5:27 timestamp in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXNsfb1vmL8&t=324s

If I could do that with the MK I would own one today.. with an expensive gadget like the iPP the price difference between the LCT and MK isn't all that substantial tbh. It'd be nice if it was cheaper but I'd get the MK if it could do what I want :)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Gotta say after a week with my 13 inch air I may have a lot of issues with the software, and some things are frustratingly worse than using a macbook. Regardless, my iPad has quickly become just about my favorite thing that I own. At the end of the day, despite the things it can't do, it can do so many things the Macbook can't so at all and it's just such a cool device to have. Especially with the Magic keyboard. I'm constantly just popping it on for a bit of laptop expeerice, taking it off to draw or just relax. without the keyboard it's unbelievably light considering the huge screen , and even though I don't have the OLED version the screen is absolutely stunning. The colors and resolution just look so much better than my macbook. It's really great for just about everything I use it for.

Also Procreate is unreal. I cannot wrap my head around this app being only $13 with no hidden caveats. They even opted to have people just buy brushes directly from other artists, which is a tad more convoluted than just putting a storefront in the app, but it feels better to just directly support other artists. And most brushes are really reasonably priced. I really don't even get this apps angle but I love it. You don't really see companies making a great product without exploitative paywalls like this anymore. It's just about the coolest app I've ever used. It's intuitive and powerful. Most of the other apps I've tried to play around with immediately try to hit you with a sub costing hundreds of dollars a year. Procreate is just 13 bux, that's it. wild.

My main goal with buying this thing was to actually save money. Art supplies are expensive as hell. I think my plan was good. I'm the type of person that can accidentally waste $200 in a day on an art project so having a literal warehouse of digital art supplies feels pretty amazing. part of me feels like I'm cheating though. Like, it's not supposed to be this easy haha.