Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

shrike82 posted:

Got the GPD Win Max 2 through IGG. If you've never heard of GPD, they're a Chinese boutique gaming handheld outfit.
The Win Max 2 is essentially a 10.1 inch "subnotebook" with a 8840U and integrated joysticks (below official images). The joysticks are the main selling point along with a oculink port that lets you hook up eGPUs with more bandwidth than TB4.

Typing experience has been great on it - probably better than any other gaming handheld and arguably laptop level. Controllers are fine but it weighs 2lbs so you rest it on a desk to play games. Screen is great - 2560x1600 IPS on a 10" is extremely high DPI. Battery life is good for an AMD handheld especially since it has a 68Wh battery. 8-9 hours for browser/day-to-day stuff. 2-4h for gaming.

Ultimately, I'm going to try to use it as a substitute for MBP/Steamdeck when I travel.

I think these are very cool and my brain loves tiny stuff like this but I know I'd stop using it in a few days. I just play games that run ok on an Intel iGPU on a 13" laptop with an 8bitdo controller I chuck in my bag when I travel. I've been replying Baldur's Gate for the 100th time most recently on planes. My eGPU experience also taught me that I don't want to play FPS games on anything less than a 24" screen anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

strong bird posted:

is there an up to date post with general recommendations and things to look for/avoid?

What games do you typically play on it?

What is more important, portability/battery life or pure processing power?

I'm guessing this will be the best deal for you right now. This is a great price but will only be around for about a week, I'd guess. The memory is expandable eventually, if you'd like.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo...p?skuId=6534469

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Btw, a bunch of gaming laptops are popping off on sale. kinda unusual for this time of year so it makes me think model refreshes are being anticipated. If you're good with a 4000 series GPU now might be a really good time to buy.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is AMD going to be making high-end laptop GPUs in the coming years? Microcenter only has a single SKU available, and Bestbuy has a few more but nothing I'd buy. It seems really weird to me that they basically ceded the last year or two to Nvidia.

I think I'm going to more-permanently transition to Linux so I was a little shocked at the current state when I went looking for replacements for my 4080.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Is AMD going to be making high-end laptop GPUs in the coming years? Microcenter only has a single SKU available, and Bestbuy has a few more but nothing I'd buy. It seems really weird to me that they basically ceded the last year or two to Nvidia.

I think I'm going to more-permanently transition to Linux so I was a little shocked at the current state when I went looking for replacements for my 4080.

In short: no. AMD isn't leaving the market but by all indications they are trying to refocus on delivering both a good-enough iGPU/ low end experience and a smaller number of competitive value-priced desktop GPUs, but them leaning on chiplet GPUs for the higher end means that they're going to be less power efficient and thus less competitive in the laptop space.

Also as I understand it they're making more money on CPUs and have every reason to focus their efforts on CPUs still, as they are still only about 20% of the very lucrative server market and would like more of that.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

In short: no. AMD isn't leaving the market but by all indications they are trying to refocus on delivering both a good-enough iGPU/ low end experience and a smaller number of competitive value-priced desktop GPUs, but them leaning on chiplet GPUs for the higher end means that they're going to be less power efficient and thus less competitive in the laptop space.

Also as I understand it they're making more money on CPUs and have every reason to focus their efforts on CPUs still, as they are still only about 20% of the very lucrative server market and would like more of that.

Yeah its this.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Lenovo cancelled my refurbished Thinkpad order :negative:

Edit: I got a higher end one with a better screen for $200 more. meh

big boi fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 14, 2024

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Anyone in the market for a solid sub-$1000 gaming machine, Best Buy has this Legion Slim with a 4060 for $850.
link

It's a Ryzen 5 instead of 7, but six zen 4 cores should handle gaming tasks fine. This machine has a FHD panel instead of WQXGA display found in most 16in Legions, but I think those are all still over $1000

strong bird
May 12, 2009

im still shopping around but I saved those links. thanks.

as far as cooling goes, are those cooling mats with 2-4 fans snake oil or are they actually effective compared to just making sure there's clearance for air intake under the laptop with a stand or just propping it up?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

strong bird posted:

as far as cooling goes, are those cooling mats with 2-4 fans snake oil or are they actually effective compared to just making sure there's clearance for air intake under the laptop with a stand or just propping it up?

I think some are better than others, but generally I think they can knock a couple degrees off your max temps. Personally, I use a lapdesk that has no fan and stuck something under the rear of my machine to lift it up a bit and open up the space underneath. It hasn't melted down yet.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Whenever I play any sort of real game on one of my laptops they run hot. I’ve played around with the various options from using Lego brick separators to prop up the back (worked fine but it’s definitely a rinky dink solution) to various cooling pads. I think at minimum you want to raise the back up so some air flows underneath, 5-15 degrees, and cheap little bump risers or Lego brick separators will do this. There are $10-12 metal stands that can lift the back much higher and airflow moving around your laptop helps a lot, but then your device is at an angle. This may or may not bother you. I think the appeal of some slightly nicer cooling pads that have some fans is you can keep your laptop flat on the desk but still get some air flowing underneath a little better. Whether or not that’s worth it to you is really preference.

Probably more important than a cooling solution is to open up the chassis every year or so and do a through cleaning and make sure no dust has collected/cooked onto any of the fans or heat sinks.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 15, 2024

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Re: laptop cooler talk

https://www.amazon.com/IETS-Powerful-Turbo-Fan-Infinitely-13-17-3inch/dp/B09D6J56NS :asoiaf:

Kind of tempted to pick one up for shits and giggles.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

strong bird posted:

It depends on the alternative. If your desk is a soft particle board desk, or even worse a couch, it'll make a big difference. In my experience, a decent cooling pad will give you more time before thermal throttling, which can be a big deal for some. It also depends on whats inside it. A 7540 and a 4060? Its going to be pretty thermally efficient in general so the impact may just be a few degrees after an hour. A 13900 and a 4080? Any help you can get it will go a long way.

Personally I think if your going to have a dedicated spot, a $20 pad is probably worth it if you're going to be gaming for stretches on it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Turning on your ceiling fan, or investing in something like a Vornado 660 will drastically improve airflow in the general vicinity of your workstation area, and amplify the effects of propping the back up with hot wheels cars or whatever is handy since you're no longer dependent solely on convection to move the air around

We have like, at least 4 x Vornado 660 they are amazing devices, accept no substitute for room fans and deserve the title "whole room air circulator"

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I bought a small vornado fan when I went to college and 20 years later the thing still runs perfectly. It was probably on for at least 10 years straight because I grew to need its noise.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I called out the 660 model specifically because at I and II settings it's virtually silent. III and IIII move an alarming amount of air but it's audible even across the room

I bought a medium model and it's significantly louder, even on the lowest setting. I returned it for another 660 ("large") physically they're pretty similar in footprint but it's a big step up in quality

When my daughter was born she got the $$ white model to match all her white nursery furniture

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

I have a Vornado brand foot fan with heater and it is probably about 20 years old and it is amongst my most prized possessions.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Looking for suggestions for a laptop with the following features:

• Windows (no chromebooks)
  • Less than 13 inch
  • Touchscreen
  • Lightweight
  • Price is under $1000

We were initially looking at the Surface Go line up but the best reviewed, Surface Go 2, is four years old and we're looking for something a little more recent. Is there any other models/brands we should look at?

Use cases: email, browsing, zoom, web browsing, general business uses. Very light gaming.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 16, 2024

Beef Eater
Aug 27, 2020
Does this look like a good buy? I need a Windows tablet. https://www.ebay.com/itm/166294430117

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Away all Goats posted:

Looking for suggestions for a laptop with the following features:

• Windows (no chromebooks)
  • Less than 13 inch
  • Touchscreen
  • Lightweight
  • Price is under $1000

We were initially looking at the Surface Go line up but the best reviewed, Surface Go 2, is four years old and we're looking for something a little more recent. Is there any other models/brands we should look at?

Use cases: email, browsing, zoom, web browsing, general business uses. Very light gaming.

I was at Costco yesterday and they had a i5-1235u 16gb surface pro 9 for $9xx :canada:
Might be worth looking locally?

I really like my pros. I've got 2 of em.

Beef Eater posted:

Does this look like a good buy? I need a Windows tablet. https://www.ebay.com/itm/166294430117
It's cheap so :shrug:

The N4100 is pretty anemic. It'll chug pretty bad when doing background stuff like big updates. I'd be personally looking for an N95/N100+ if possible.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Looking at Dell refurbs because there's some good coupons at their outlet store atm (e.g., 45% off items priced $499 & up)

https://www.dellrefurbished.com/coupons

But when googling the models I was interested in, I saw the same issues my current Inspiron suffers from. Crucially, that they get freaking hot and loud.