Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Beefeater1980 posted:

Second one is wrong: US tax is around 20 percentage points higher than what I pay now or in Country2 scenario

the US tax code is progressive on income and has all sorts of loopholes for high-earners. plus the sales (VAT) and real estate taxes here are inevitably way different than whatever Country2 is, and also vary state-to-state.

spwrozek posted:

It sounds like you ran the numbers and also don't like or really care for America. Without some real numbers, locations, and data or feels like everyone is struggling to give you advice.

yeah what spwrozek said

beefeater, you stated the position is like FAANG L8 equivalent or whatever. it's clearly a ton of money and nitpicking over headline marginal tax brackets or potential future baseline job comps is not going to decide anything for you. just pick the place you want to live and move on with life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

If you're actually talking about an L8 income, or poo poo even half that, then you will live an exceedingly comfortable life virtually anywhere in America and you will have access to the best of everything including healthcare. In the top couple percentiles of income/wealth personal QOL is extremely high in America because its pay to play and you can easily pay. Very different story at the national median but at the level you mention you'd really just have very little to worry about.

But if you just don't like the vibes in America, which is fair, then money probably won't fill that void in your life. Since you're being cagey with details it's impossible to make a more detailed comparison.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 12, 2024

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How the heck do I handle this situation?

I interviewed for a large well known company and got the job or so I thought. I went through the basic HR screen, passed the tech interview and had a final round with the director. The recruiter tells me they'd like to onboard me along with a call from their HR department letting me know that re-location is included and I should start at the beginning of June. A week goes by and there's still no official offer letter. I called the recruiter, he tells me there system is down, I check and it is in fact down. He tells me it should be back up in another week, when I log in there should be an offer letter along with new hire stuff it but nothing has changed. My application is still pending.

The recruiter, who works for a separate company seems confident it's a real job offer but he hasn't reached out to me either. The wild part about all of this is that I never stopped interviewing even after the recruiter gave me the congratulatory call because I already had them scheduled and wanted to ensure that I didn't get dropped. Turns out, I've already got a job from another company with an offer that's better and an official offer letter.

What do I do? Do I just drop it completely? Unless they give me a way better offer, I really don't want it.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If they had their act together, they'd find a way to get you an offer letter that doesn't depend on one specific bit of software. Take the better offer, then decline the other offer if they ever bother to actually send it

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If you're interested in the first company tell the recruiter that you have an offer letter and see if that helps them move faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

pmchem posted:

the US tax code is progressive on income and has all sorts of loopholes for high-earners. plus the sales (VAT) and real estate taxes here are inevitably way different than whatever Country2 is, and also vary state-to-state.

yeah what spwrozek said

beefeater, you stated the position is like FAANG L8 equivalent or whatever. it's clearly a ton of money and nitpicking over headline marginal tax brackets or potential future baseline job comps is not going to decide anything for you. just pick the place you want to live and move on with life.

Yeah fair. Again, thanks for the advice.