Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

FBS posted:

Goldberry was a tentacle monster?

I'm listening, go on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

euphronius posted:

Here is a good old timey highlight of about a 200 foot throw by a non Numenorean https://youtu.be/1PH6XJypKno?si=tqd--1pxaXvdD6r2

Yeah exactly what I'm saying, obviously it's possible but is that what we're picturing Boromir suddenly doing while he's standing around fidgeting as Gandalf tries to decode the door

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Parker is throwing a laser beam to get a runner

It’s much more easy to lob a baseball 200 feet. As I said a 12 year old can do that. 200 feet is where the softball / little league fences are. Throws from the fence to home are routine

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
What about for the average Silmarillion enjoyer?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Let’s be real, Boromir has never heard of the Silmarillion in his life

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

skasion posted:

Let’s be real, Boromir has never heard of the Silmarillion in his life

Boromir has only ever seen the theatrical cut, Faramir owns the full History of Middle Earth.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

Also Tolkien prof didn’t mention it but it’s clear from the text that the Watcher was farting. A lot

I'd like to know more.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The dark water boiled, and there was a hideous stench.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

What's the Elvish word for he who smelt it, dealt it?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lots of bubbling sound effects the whole time

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

FBS posted:

"Smellon"

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

FBS posted:

Closest I can get in Quenyan:
Aiquen nussessa antaróta (roughly ‘whoever smelled it he gave it’)

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

zoux posted:

There are some things in that s2 trailer that look like they're supposed to be world-gnawing nameless things from Gandalf's balrog fight recap

What are the entities that we don't know exactly what they are: the watcher in the water and assorted ilk, Ungoliant, Tom and Goldberry, what else

Caradhras?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

That's a mountain

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's a mountain

That may be sentient enough to be malicious.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

FBS posted:

I think Tolkien would really like that phrase. Smelt and dealt are good solid saxon verbs, it rhymes, there's a pithy epigram feeling to the whole thing.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Runcible Cat posted:

That may be sentient enough to be malicious.

Caradhras : stone-giants :: huorns : ents

Imo. The whole of Middle-earth is inspired by the Secret Fire (immanent power of Eru) and was shaped by Eru’s appointed Powers. So all parts of it more or less reflect the person(s) that worked to create them, in the same way as Sauron’s ring reflects his will to power. None of it is truly “inanimate” matter, just more or less personified.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

zoux posted:

There are some things in that s2 trailer that look like they're supposed to be world-gnawing nameless things from Gandalf's balrog fight recap

What are the entities that we don't know exactly what they are: the watcher in the water and assorted ilk, Ungoliant, Tom and Goldberry, what else

Hobbits. No one knows where they came from and if the hobbits themselves know their origins, they're keeping it secret.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
We also don't know for sure what dragons are, considering Morgoth couldn't actually create life, so he must have made dragons out of something, but what.

(One theory is that they're corrupted forms of Great Eagles)

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

Kemper Boyd posted:

(One theory is that they're corrupted forms of Great Eagles)

Weren't the original ones wingless, and adding wings was like Dragon 2.0?

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

Weren't the original ones wingless, and adding wings was like Dragon 2.0?

Yes, but there's apparently some indication in Tolkien's unpublished notes/letters that this would be the case.

Maybe Morgoth was just poo poo at making a MVP version of dragons.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Morgoth made a bunch of unsightly beasts in his first war with the gods. “Monsters of horn and ivory” iirc. The fire-dragons later in the Silmarillion are probably an improved breed since we see him continuing to make improvements like flight.

Alternatively, you’ve got Fall of Gondolin where they’re basically magical fire-powered serpent mechs

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

skasion posted:

Alternatively, you’ve got Fall of Gondolin where they’re basically magical fire-powered serpent mechs

Was Tolkien ever exposed to anime?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tree Bucket posted:

In 1917, sure.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

Little known fact, Tolkien actually co-created seminal 90s sci-fantasy animation Neon Genesis Evangelion. “And make sure that all the characters sink into suicidal depression,” he’d advise them.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Carry the Ring Frodo, or Bilbo will have to do it again.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, the travel through middle earth is basically a trip backwards through English history, starting in the quaint Regency, moving back through Elrond'd high medieval House, then the dark ages of Moria, weird Celtic elves, Saxon Rohirrim, and Minas Tirith as Roman Britain on the verge of fall.

The Shire is...well it could be idealised Regency-ish rural England I suppose, I seem to recall Tolkien was big on that, but more probably like late 19th century. Minas Tirith is absolutely not Roman Britain though, which was not known for giant impregnable fortress-cities. A much more obvious parallel would be the Eastern Roman/Byzantine Empire, complete with losing a bunch of their previous territory and then 'barbarian hordes' from the east trying to conquer the capital.

(Also where does Isengard fit in? that's basically industrial revolution, which Tolkien was not big on hence they're the bad guys, see also what happens to the Shire at the end).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Idealized and fictionalized Roman Britain, yes. The Anglo Saxons didn't have significant horse cavalry either, just as Roman Britain didn't have the walls of Constantinople.

Then we return to the present day for the Scouring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The Rohirrim are inspired more broadly by the barbarian foederati of the late Roman Empire in the west. If you want to be specific it’s almost certainly the Goths, (with Theoden’s decisive role and death against Mordor at the Pelennor Fields being analogous to Theodoric’s against the Huns at Campus Mauriacus. the language is obviously Tolkien’s favorite OE and not Gothic (a language with which he was, however, very familiar and even wrote a neologistic poem). But the actual Anglo-Saxons didn’t contribute gently caress all to the Roman Empire so he cobbles it together a bit.

the quality of the sub Roman “barbarian” relationship to Rome that Tolkien found most interesting, the post-apocalyptic sense found in OE poems such as “The Ruin” of living in the ruins of a vastly more powerful culture, is shot all through LOTR. You do find it with respect to the Rohirric awe of Numenorean places like Orthanc and the Hornburg and even Minas Tirith.

But yeah. “Gandalf, what’s the elvish word for foederatus?” Gondor giving this migrating warlike people lands in depopulated lands in Calenardhon in exchange for military service (glossed as “alliance” to spare the feelings of both the proud inferiors and the superiors unable to come to terms with their declining empire) is like right out of the scholarly orthodoxy of the day.