Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Hot drat, congrats. K24 Elise is going to be amazing. What’s your power/tq target?

It'll get a set of Toda A3 cams and probably make in the 235whp area uncorked, but I'll be chopping it from 5200-ish to 7800 to make a flat 200whp for classing. :)

I weighed it at 1754lb with 5gal about a month ago and then pulled some 30lb out of it afterwards. Pretty comfortably under 1700lb without fuel or driver.

Last weekend one of my friends was hanging out with Science of Speed people who told him they were looking for an Elise to prototype a K20C1 (~2021 Civic Type R) motor / transmission into. I emailed them and the owner basically told me they had no plans or interest and that it wouldn't fit, so that was kinda weird.

Meanwhile, in the UK...

I also emailed MonkeyWrenchRacing who used to make a kit to put the Toyota 2GRFE and Evora transmission into a S2 Elise/Exige, but they weren't interested in selling a set of engine mounts or cv shafts.

Oh well, for the best.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
I get the K20 or K24 swaps (one for screaming RPMs, one of big N/A torque), but I don't understand why someone would want a turbo CTR engine swap. BOE has been making track-focused supercharging solutions for 15 years now. I had their first TVS1320 setup on my Elise back in 2011.

Non-intercooled and it did perfectly fine at Phoenix tracks. AIT peaked at 175 degrees and would never go higher. Not ideal but you can tune for it. And that torque curve was loving amazing on track. Engine had a couple breathing mods (valves, valve springs, CAMs) but even before that I was making 250whp and did tons of track days.

With those BOE options on the market and 2ZZs relatively cheap, a K20C1swap doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Did your Elise come with a lot of weight reduction mods already done? Finding 280lbs to take out of that is serious work. My Elise was 1935lb with 3/4 tank before the supercharger and 1980lbs with the supercharger.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
In contrast to those heavyweights, last night was my first time on track with the <1000 lb Locost I bought last weekend.

I did about 70 laps. Turns really well and feels quite easy to drive, but I still need to internalize the hand clutch and left foot braking setup it has. And that there is no need to shift up when it sounds like 8000 rpm.

The target for the summer might be one such session a week on average and let’s see how the laptimes are in the autumn. Next summer some racing then perhaps.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

2ZZs relatively cheap

becoming less true by the day

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
the sirensong of the 2AR is calling...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Drove the car for the second time today, still super pussyfooting it on entry and braking too early. The car won't start off the starter 75% of the time even after replacing the battery and starter, so I'm kinda miffed there and it's a pain in my rear end to bump start it.

I still can't believe how good this car is for what it is, lol. The car is really sensitive to brake pressure, I can see why a ton of people complain about the stock ABS being very intrusive though I somewhat disagree it's purely an ABS issue. IMO the pads on the car are too aggressive (Cobalt XR4) and I need to train my inputs to get into the brakes more softly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3gy_XVnv1c

DoLittle posted:

In contrast to those heavyweights, last night was my first time on track with the <1000 lb Locost I bought last weekend.
I can't even imagine, this is already a revelation for me. We require video.

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I get the K20 or K24 swaps (one for screaming RPMs, one of big N/A torque), but I don't understand why someone would want a turbo CTR engine swap. BOE has been making track-focused supercharging solutions for 15 years now. I had their first TVS1320 setup on my Elise back in 2011.

Non-intercooled and it did perfectly fine at Phoenix tracks. AIT peaked at 175 degrees and would never go higher. Not ideal but you can tune for it. And that torque curve was loving amazing on track. Engine had a couple breathing mods (valves, valve springs, CAMs) but even before that I was making 250whp and did tons of track days.

With those BOE options on the market and 2ZZs relatively cheap, a K20C1swap doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Did your Elise come with a lot of weight reduction mods already done? Finding 280lbs to take out of that is serious work. My Elise was 1935lb with 3/4 tank before the supercharger and 1980lbs with the supercharger.
It did, it was a Lotus Cup USA car built by VSA. Pretty much everything that could be removed is already gone - I've just been removing extra stuff like a race radio, headlights, etc.

I tend to agree on K20C not being a good choice, but I was willing to try something different. I've not gotten along well with turbo (or SC) cars on track so far.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 2, 2024